• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

madhtr

For that boss, you only have to get him to half health. I heard from somewhere else that it might end if you just survive for 5 minutes too.

I think it's to
40%, but hadn't heard the 5 minutes thing
. I might have just been over-leveled, but I just went and attacked hard with physicals and the battle ended pretty quickly.

Not finding anything about elemental weaknesses in the book. I assume the enemies at Old Smokey are weak to ice?

The guide tells you in percentages. Green means they block down to that percentage and red means they are weak up to that percentage. The wizard's companion will just tell you whether they're strong or weak against an element.

RedSwirl

The guide tells you in percentages. Green means they block down to that percentage and red means they are weak up to that percentage. The wizard's companion will just tell you whether they're strong or weak against an element.

The in-battle guide?

Mikey Jr.

Farming levels with tokos seems like cheating to me. I mean, you literally get a level for everyone each time you kill him. Its crazy.

Whats a good time to go to Hamelin, level wise? I feel like I could just grind to 99, but I also don't want to ruin the challenge.

I just randomly found out about this game because it was the latest review on some website I never go to. wtf? And looking at other reviews, it seems this is another critical hit for Sony, so why don't they market it more/better?

Aeana

I just randomly found out about this game because it was the latest review on some website I never go to. wtf? And looking at other reviews, it seems this is another critical hit for Sony, so why don't they market it more/better?
For Sony? It's a game developed by Level-5, published by Namco Bandai.

madhtr

The in-battle guide?

The strategy guide. The wizard's companion, not sure you can get into it during battles, but from the menus you can, and it shows for each familiar and its other forms (which I assume is the same as the enemies you fight).

Farming levels with tokos seems like cheating to me. I mean, you literally get a level for everyone each time you kill him. Its crazy.

Whats a good time to go to Hamelin, level wise? I feel like I could just grind to 99, but I also don't want to ruin the challenge.

I was there around mid-20s, and am now just hitting 40... Also, where are tokos located? I totally love ruining challenges.

zeopower6

Namco Bandai probably doesn't have the money. Though unlike most of their other JRPG offerings, this at least got buzz at events and now from word of mouth.

zeopower6

Well, the game pretty much bombed in Japan, so you cant blame them for not having enough high expectations to market it well.

They put a load of effort into localizing it though, so I think they do want it to do well... just that they're doing it via word of mouth.

And I get that the game didn't sell 500,000 copies or even 150,000 copies, but it did (a little below) average for a PS3 game in Japan. It didn't bomb by any means imo. Heck, it'd have gotten #1 if some Call of Duty game hadn't come out that week along with a One Piece DS game, lol.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Also I finally got my first scroll of truth. 4 to go.

The scroll of truth is such bullshit.
Killed 15 of those golden bastards in the miasma and not a single drop.

Which is apparently the best location to go for them too.

Really considering giving up on the plat now.

Someone posted this on gamefaqs, i'll quote it here for anyone trying to get the damn things:

Asarhia @ gamefaqs said:
There's an easier way to farm Scrolls of Truth that takes about two hours. You should still farm the Rainbow Fossils in the Ice Cave as you may be able to get a few there on the side, but once you've got all the Rainbow Fossils you need, head to Narkelnat Ruins (the dungeon with the Frog Prince where you got one of the three Magic Stones) and hunt the golden Tokotoko as follows:

1. Go straight from the entrance, when the road forks, check the spawn on the left (#1).
2. If it's not a Tokotoko, turn right, and at the next fork (spawn #2) turn right again.
3. You'll reach a big room with a crossroads and spawn #3.
4. Turn right, then right again, stop before the magic symbol on the ground and rotate the camera left to peek at spawn #4.
5. Backtrack and take a right at the fork. Peek in front of you across the water for spawn #5.
6. Turn the camera left and peek at spawn #6 in the opposite corridor.

All six points can spawn a golden Tokotoko. If you see one, make sure to approach it from behind. If it starts running away, quickly cast the dungeon treasure spell, take a few steps forward, recast the spell and take a few more steps forward until you're right on top of it and you'll be guaranteed a surprise attack. Set all party members to attack the leader's target, and press triangle as soon as the battle starts to go all out on offensive and kill it quickly.

After checking all 6 spawn points (I can confirm all 6 can be golden Tokotokos), just cast Escape, rinse and repeat. The golden Tokotoko is the only gold monster that appears in this dungeon and it's got a fairly high spawn rate (about once every two rounds). A round takes about 20s to do and all monsters will flee from you so it's much, much faster than the Ice Cave where you're wasting time getting to the second part of the map, roads are narrow and the caster enemy still attacks you, and you have a 50% chance of the golden drake being the wrong one. I got 4 Scrolls of Truth in 1.5 hours (it's a rare drop, can't be stolen). You may want to bring along a few brushes to cure silence in case you see a golden Tokotoko at spawn #4 and need to walk over the magic symbol on the ground so you can still cast the dungeon treasure spell.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man,
Drippy's Village
has been such a fun spot so far. The comedy show was cute stuff. And now it's
platformer-style inside the belly
? Rad.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Man,
Drippy's Village
has been such a fun spot so far. The comedy show was cute stuff. And now it's
platformer-style inside the belly
? Rad.
I had a smile on my face for that scene. It was just so silly - their accents are what sells it.

I love how that segment of the game is basically centred around emptying a mother's uterus. Hope you're prepared...

madhtr

Swaine must love Iron-Man because I never see him use Burly Hurly anymore

Hurley is so slow... I took him away from Swaine and gave him my third-tier Thumblemur (I forget what the third-level is, and an Iron man. I am leveling up a gold Hurly Burly, and it has great stats, but is awful for regular battles. I stick with my Dynamite and Puss in Boats (looks so bad-ass).

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Can't even get him down by 10%, so I'm thinking I need better familiars or equipment. Also, random sea enemies are kicking my ass.

You might want to try
kiting him. I went in as Oliver and started casting spells and let him chase me around while Swain and Esther chipped away at his health.

johnsmith

remember me
Hey guys. Stop wasting your time with the puss in boots and go with Naja. Stats are way better, and you still keep that fast 4 attack speed.

jZwslKvxpctWj.png

Okay, All-out attack and All-out defend make battles SO much more manageable. That was a godsend during the
jellyfish boss.
The AI is still crap though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Dammit, I fell for the
fake scribble text during Horus's 3rd encounter.

ISMELL, indeed.
They got me too, I really dug that joke.

Really love all the detail in that thing, I wonder if there's any way I'll be able to just buy the book without some eBay ass making me pay $100...

I don't know why people are so down on the story. I'm really digging it. Feels very Lion, the Witch, the Wardrobe/Neverending Story like. The world is so full of history and life, especially when you read up about stuff in the Wizard's Companion. It's really cool.

Just finished
restoring Marcassin's heart back to normal. I didn't expect some time travel to be thrown in to the mix. Swaine has gotten a lot more interesting, has the Han Solo vibe to him to go along with Esther's Leia-ness and Oliver's Luke-ness. Oliver's really nice too, not very deep, but it's nice to see a kid protagonist that isn't annoying and is just full of innocent wide-eyed wonder.

Balphon

Hey guys. Stop wasting your time with the puss in boots and go with Naja. Stats are way better, and you still keep that fast 4 attack speed.

jZwslKvxpctWj.png

Well, given that they're early growth, the two Purrloiner evolutions will probably have comparable to better stats until level 50 or so.

Hey, just started. Is the quickest way to go from attacking to defending to hit O and then hit L2 and move over to defend and pick it? It seems like there should be a dedicated "oh shit" defend button or something.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, just started. Is the quickest way to go from attacking to defending to hit O and then hit L2 and move over to defend and pick it? It seems like there should be a dedicated "oh shit" defend button or something.

Yeah. There is an "oh shit" button but you won't get that ability for quite a while. Why they didn't give it to you at the beginning is one of the mind boggling aspects of the game.

M.W.

I started earlier tonight. I am playing on easy. I suck at JRPG's. So far, so good. I did farm a bit at the beginning, not sure how much I should on easy. Any tips? I'd like to breeze through the game with no tough battles if possible. Yeah yeah, I'm a wuss.

Yeah. There is an "oh shit" button but you won't get that ability for quite a while. Why they didn't give it to you at the beginning is one of the mind boggling aspects of the game.

I'm going to guess it has something to do with the fact that new shit is being thrown at me constantly and I barely started. Then I look up and see you guys discussing stuff like it was pokemon and I know there's a level 5 crafting system that's probably outrageously complex.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to guess it has something to do with the fact that new shit is being thrown at me constantly and I barely started. Then I look up and see you guys discussing stuff like it was pokemon and I know there's a level 5 crafting system that's probably outrageously complex.

Yeah it looks like you know what you're in for.

TTG

Just got started, got the wand, decided to translate the writing on the wand... didn't make any sense. What's it suppose to mean? I spent like a whole 3 minutes, I'm outraged!

Top Bottom