• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

one_kill

About to play for the first time, any tips? What should I keep in mind? What should I look out for or ignore?

In terms of time, how far along into the game would I be able to do the following:
- Tame familiars (not the first one you get automatically)
- Get the DLC familiars - I read somewhere here before that you have to go to a particular place. How far is that place?

Derrick01

Banned
Figures I finally got the green banana guy without trying after trying for over an hour. I was turning in quests/bounties at the desert village before heading to the Cove and on the way I fought one and just happened to finally tame it. Yay I guess lol

Audioboxer

Having a blast so far, incredible amounts of hand holding though. In the first real dungeon going to help the fat cat.

One thing that is grating on me though is Olivers battle cries seem to be louder on my audio system than the rest of the game volume. The "lets do this", and especially, the "neato" chant are pissing me off.

About to play for the first time, any tips? What should I keep in mind? What should I look out for or ignore?

In terms of time, how far along into the game would I be able to do the following:
- Tame familiars (not the first one you get automatically)
- Get the DLC familiars - I read somewhere here before that you have to go to a particular place. How far is that place?

About 7-8 hours in.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ah, thanks for tip. By mobs in towns you mean
zombies that appear after manna falls
?
You already got platinum? Epic job.

Yes,

and not yet, 60 familars left.
Have every other trophy.

Finalow

it's just me or Esther (AI?) is shit.
like "yay let's take all the boss attacks in the face, I won't even summon pokemons cuz I'm tanky", where's the pic.
I'm using "keep us healty" but it doesn't seem to work that well.

JerkShep

So I can finally recruit familiars, but I'm not sure which is the way to go now. Do you suggest trying to capture them all for every area before continuing? They are...a lot. Even just the desert area seems to have 7-8 familiars or even more. I want to do the subquests and the bounties, not just rush through the main story, but I don't want to grind for hours for familiars. Any suggestions?

Sanctuary

it's just me or Esther (AI?) is shit.
like "yay let's take all the boss attacks in the face, I won't even summon pokemons cuz I'm tanky", where's the pic.
I'm using "keep us healty" but it doesn't seem to work that well.

No, it's not just you. The AI will:

-tank mobs instead of sending in familiars that can actually do something.
-actually switch from a tanky familiar to themselves just so that they can use their own weak attacks.
-either not heal at all (when you have it set to keep us healthy), or blow through mana to heal non stop every time you are missing any health.

So I can finally recruit familiars, but I'm not sure which is the way to go now. Do you suggest trying to capture them all for every area before continuing? They are...a lot. Even just the desert area seems to have 7-8 familiars or even more. I want to do the subquests and the bounties, not just rush through the main story, but I don't want to grind for hours for familiars. Any suggestions?

Unless you're simply trying to collect all of them just to say that you have, you can wait until later on. You'll get an award that supposedly increases your chances at taming (although it sure doesn't seem like it does anything). The downside is that once you're X levels higher than the creatures you're trying to hunt, they will Speedy Gonzales away from you constantly; vanishing into thin air. Basically, you have to weigh unintentionally grinding/leveling now vs chasing/frustration later. Unless of course you use the spell that allows you to sneak up on enemies, but that's a ways off.

RPGCrazied

Finally beat it with 56 hours! That was a really short ending, and I wish all this stuff that is unlocked after you beat it was given to you before the end. Oh well, more content is more content. :)

daveo42

Banned
It's pretty obvious where he is in Castaway Cove, but somehow I missed him twice in Fairyland, Yule as well as Hamelin. It seems like you might have to meet him in a previous town before he will appear in the next too. Missed out on some very useful spells. :(

Well that sucks. I completely missed him in Castaway Cove and now I'm currently stuck in
FairyLand.
I supposed I'll need to backtrack later to get him and come back. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do that
once the boat is fixed.
For some reason, I completely forgot to search for him there. I think I may have been distracted by a few other things...

What spell do you get in Castaway Cove anyway?

RangerBAD

Speaking of Familiar taming:
Derwin's quest Perdida. Where do I find the familiars he wants
? Oh, and where is
Horace after Perdida
?

Derrick01

Banned
How do you unlock the next bunch of merit rewards? Does it happen through the story or do you have to buy all of the previous ones? Because I have 3 saved and don't really want the extra foraging or easier sneak attack yet.

How do you unlock the next bunch of merit rewards? Does it happen through the story or do you have to buy all of the previous ones? Because I have 3 saved and don't really want the extra foraging or easier sneak attack yet.

I know you have to buy everything on a row to unlock the next row. Not sure if you have to have reached a certain point in the story also, though.

RPGCrazied

Been playing it nonstop for a week. Loved every second of it, except for the fleeting voice acting in the later half.

Xenoblade is still my top jRPG this gen, but Ni No Kuni is not to far behind.

On my way to the third town and the battle system is really grating. I don't know how much more I can take. I'm just never comfortable with it for all the wrong reasons. For a game as long as this one is, it's a big problem.

The gameplay basically reminds me of Rogue Galaxy (this time with Pokemon combat thrown in,) where the AI'd continuously waste MP using crap moves or would try to tank a boss and die, and spamming magic is the only effective strategy. It would have been nice if mons could use items in battle instead of having to L1 back to your trainer and sweat through the lag period of him actually using the item, at which point the enemy has already charged up to your position and hit you a couple more times

MicH

While I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, can I just say that I am sooo glad I imported the soundtrack for this game? It is absolutely beautiful. Joe Hisaishi never fails to amaze.

Kesagiri

I finally got my WE the other day. The book is amazing.

I'm really enjoying the game too. I'm loving the battles especially when the difficulty ramps up. I haven't been able to put this thing down.

I have a feeling this will be my GOTY.

PBalfredo

Looking over this last page, it looks like everyone else is having the same problems I'm having with dumbass partner AI, doing things like burning through MP and not defending against the boss' special attacks. Which sucks because I love everything else about the game and would hate to have suicidal AI be the thing that drags down the whole experience for me. Is there any way to get the AI to behave? Or maybe I should try to accommodate their dumb tendencies and just load them up with familiars that can tank well? What would be some good tanking familiars? I just got to the third city, which is where the AI's stupidity really shined forth during the fight against
the genie
, being unable to defend against the boss' super obvious countdown-to-doom.

JerkShep

Unless you're simply trying to collect all of them just to say that you have, you can wait until later on. You'll get an award that supposedly increases your chances at taming (although it sure doesn't seem like it does anything). The downside is that once you're X levels higher than the creatures you're trying to hunt, they will Speedy Gonzales away from you constantly; vanishing into thin air. Basically, you have to weigh unintentionally grinding/leveling now vs chasing/frustration later. Unless of course you use the spell that allows you to sneak up on enemies, but that's a ways off.

Ok good, I have recruited a couple of familiars just doing some battles, I think I'm not gonna obsess over it and move on. Too bad one of the subquest requires me to catch that...cactus..banana...thing and is one of the few that I'm missing.

Looking over this last page, it looks like everyone else is having the same problems I'm having with dumbass partner AI, doing things like burning through MP and not defending against the boss' special attacks.

I stopped having that issue when I went on a Toko murdering spree and ended up with a party at Level 69.
And I just finished Perdida.
Yeah, I know I'm over-leveled. :D

Ardenyal

Game unlocked in EU but now I need to download a 12GB file? Only have the 6GB file in my download list... I hope it's a problem that is fixed soon :(

Acrylic7

Does anyone know how to defeat Ulk? The damn wizards companion says to poison it but its immune to everything I throw at it.

Aeana

Game unlocked in EU but now I need to download a 12GB file? Only have the 6GB file in my download list... I hope it's a problem that is fixed soon :(
You have to have the space for the file and the space to install it, so double the download size.

Defunkled

Just got to the dreaded Errand 78. Any tips for collecting those scrolls and kaleidostones? I have to steal the scrolls from golden familiars, right?

Top Bottom