• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Danj

Anyone got any tips for defeating
the Royal Jelly in Mummy's Tummy
? FAQs on GameFAQs say its weak point is
fire
, but neither
Fling Flame
nor
Fireball
seem to do much damage to it. Or is it just that I'm too low level? I'm lv23,
Esther
is lv22 and
Swaine
is lv20, do I need to go back out and grind or something?

Really disappointed as up till now it hasn't been necessary to do any grinding, I was hoping this game avoided that.

There's a thousand small mechanical deficiencies that great games get right, but this one leaves bare. You can't open the main menu while
flying on Tengri
. When learning a new familiar ability that puts you over the limit, you can't choose the new ability as the one you want to forget. Familiars don't show any equipment, when some quests require knowing the specific items you have equipped. When enemies are running away from you and hit a curved wall, they'll turn around and run right into you.

You can forget the new ability by pressing O.

Busaiku

So is there a certain point I should wait to use the DLC that came with the Wizard's Edition, or should I use it as soon as I can?

I just beast the Forest Guardian and am on my way to get clothes, can I even use it now?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So is there a certain point I should wait to use the DLC that came with the Wizard's Edition, or should I use it as soon as I can?

I just beast the Forest Guardian and am on my way to get clothes, can I even use it now?

You'll get a ticket for use of your DLC familiars later. You unlock them when you gain the ability to catch familiars.

So, might as well use the DLC now.

besides the rock paper scissor mechanics for star/sun/moon (and planet over everything)

what about elementals. fire>grass>water? how does the rest go?

Adamm

When capturing familiars is there anyway to tell whether they are any good or not, or are they all basically the same?

Danj

You'll get a ticket for use of your DLC familiars later. You unlock them when you gain the ability to catch familiars.

So, might as well use the DLC now.

Oh wait, so if I have the ability to catch familiars now, that means I can finally use those
ticket
things? How do I do that?

Ricker

fire
, but neither
Fling Flame
nor
Fireball
Esther
is lv22 and
Swaine

Really disappointed as up till now it hasn't been necessary to do any grinding, I was hoping this game avoided that.

Yeah you need to grind but its only in that little section outside because you can't get back on the ship...look at a few pages before this one for some tips,this is where I am stuck now and Oliver is level 27,Esther 26 and Swaine 23 I think...grind to buy some Phoenix feathers,I sold some ingredients to get a little more money,last time I fought,if I would of had 1 more Pheonix Feather I would of won...

Oh wait, so if I have the ability to catch familiars now, that means I can finally use those
ticket
things? How do I do that?

Dont know about the DLC but Esther is your familiar catcher,you should get the tutorial soon...

Animekatt

I'm about 32 hours in so far. I'm at the part where you have to
gather the three stones for Mornstar
. I'm really liking this game. I think my favorite aspect of it is the world map. For some reason, I keep getting the FFIX vibe from it. The only thing I hate about the game is the battle system. It's what bringing my personal score of a 9 down to 8.5.

Ricker

Oh and I said 400 familiars but I am not sure it's 400 different ones?...maybe it's that you can store 400 or 400 is with the evolution of all of them so it would be like 130 or something...still a lot though.

TTG

fire
, but neither
Fling Flame
nor
Fireball
Esther
is lv22 and
Swaine

I think I was the same level as you, just got through that yesterday, on my third try or something. The key was using Oliver's first pokemon's(mitey or whatever) cut loose to control all the little jellies that are spawned. Stick with that pokemon as much as possible, he's effective. I only switched to Esther's duck for the healing, that thing has an even better crowd control spell, but it's water based.

Also, as usual with bosses, look for the yellow orbs.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh and I said 400 familiars but I am not sure it's 400 different ones?...maybe it's that you can store 400 or 400 is with the evolution of all of them so it would be like 130 or something...still a lot though.

I think the 400 has to be with the evolution included... because at Hamelin and already seeing tons of re-colored monster forms, repeats.

Danj

I think I was the same level as you, just got through that yesterday, on my third try or something. The key was using Oliver's first pokemon's(mitey or whatever) cut loose to control all the little jellies that are spawned. Stick with that pokemon as much as possible, he's effective. I only switched to Esther's duck for the healing, that thing has an even better crowd control spell, but it's water based.

Also, as usual with bosses, look for the yellow orbs.

I've only ever managed to even get that far once, all the other times it just seemed like I wasn't doing much damage. Anyway as has been suggested, I'm now grinding so hopefully that will help.

Haven't checked the gaming side for a while but i am pleasantly surprised to see that this game seems to have lived up to the hype for once.

As someone who likes Ghibli as much as L-5 i believe this will be an easy buy :)

backlot

besides the rock paper scissor mechanics for star/sun/moon (and planet over everything)

what about elementals. fire>grass>water? how does the rest go?

Certain monsters have weaknesses or resistances for certain elements. You just have to figure them out as you go.

Sanctuary

At any rate, I'm hoping that I'm in for every bit the treat that a lot of you are leading me to believe. I don't know how I feel about hearing that the combat is reminiscent of Final Fantasy XII's, but I'm sure that I'll get used to it.

It's not really that similar to the (far superior) combat of FFXII. It has the vaguest of similarities, but they really don't function the same at all. If you disliked the FFXII combat, you might actually loathe the combat in this game.

TTG

I've only ever managed to even get that far once, all the other times it just seemed like I wasn't doing much damage. Anyway as has been suggested, I'm now grinding so hopefully that will help.

That stinks, you have enough sandwiches and whatnot and Esther is set on "keep us healthy"? If so, than yea, grind away.

Finalow

fire
, but neither
Fling Flame
nor
Fireball
Esther
is lv22 and
Swaine

actually that boss is pretty easy (he has a lot of HP but he doesn't hit hard). fireball is ok but you can use burning sword + Mite and it works pretty well too.
the only problem is when he's going to summon those 8 little fuckers, in that part of the battle just focus the boss and you'll get a lot of gold orbs, that's how you win.

JollyWolf

Most bosses can easily be beaten if you kill them with magic in the distance and constantly heal party members and refill you MP meter. I have more trouble with the regular enemies than I do the bosses.

Krathoon

I would have punted that trolling asshole over the ship if I was Oliver. I've counted at least 2 times so far where he's lied and caused me grief because of it.

That would be a great bit of writing if that happened towards the end of the game. It would be like the boy finally realizes Drippy is more of a pain than he is worth.

JohngPR

I'm at Hamelin when you meet the Emperor there and did I miss something?

All of a sudden I'm from the future and have to find a way to get back to our time. When did that happen? Did I skip a cutscene or something or is it part of the story and you're not supposed to know yet. I don't remember time travel being mentioned at any time before I met the emperor.

I'm about to go seek Mornstar.

Nose Master

Is there a hidden part of the map where there's Kindness and Courage? I just got
Confidence
as a heart piece, and got
Tengri
. However, none of the towns have any of those things. Do I have to wait til the next big town?

Also, are all the bounty monsters unique / un-tameable? I want that god damn
turtle

I'm at Hamelin when you meet the Emperor there and did I miss something?

All of a sudden I'm from the future and have to find a way to get back to our time. When did that happen? Did I skip a cutscene or something or is it part of the story and you're not supposed to know yet. I don't remember time travel being mentioned at any time before I met the emperor.

I'm about to go seek Mornstar.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. A lot of people were confused by that, myself included. It's just a poorly handled sequence.

Jinko

Man porco grocsso is so annoying, this game is severly let down by shitty party AI, gambit system would have been a good idea for this game. :(

Duno why hey had to change it from the DS combat system.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if genus affinity affects stat growth on familiars?

I gave both Oliver and Swaine a dinoceros, leveled them each to 10 (max level) before morphing to 2nd form, and now they're both at level 11. But Oliver's has like 20 more attack and 20 more defense with all other stats about equal. Only difference I could see was he had affinity over Swaine

Bladenic

10 hours later, and I'm headed to Castaway Cove after finishing the last of the errands and bounties in the desert city. Cannot put this down. Plan on catching a Purrloiner.

The sense of adventure is so grand, I want to keep playing to see the next area, next dungeon, next city. I love this game.

Dreweyes

YqhKv1i.png

jiggle

finished it last night
very polished effort from LV5
and so much contents
SE should be ashame
love all the DQ/DC influences, wkc not so much

Does anyone know if genus affinity affects stat growth on familiars?

I gave both Oliver and Swaine a dinoceros, leveled them each to 10 (max level) before morphing to 2nd form, and now they're both at level 11. But Oliver's has like 20 more attack and 20 more defense with all other stats about equal. Only difference I could see was he had affinity over Swaine

you get 10% stat boost from affinity

Well GAF I'm ready for a new RPG, should I pick this or Xenoblade?

That's a brutal question. I'd edge Xenoblade over this as I thought the battle system was better. But I'm gonna be honest the terribad Wii graphics really wore on me. Ni no kuni has a timeless look like Wind Waker does.

I also finished Ni no kuni earlier today and I had an absolute blast. The last third of the game was particularly fantastic as it propelled me towards the finish with great worldbuilding, twists, and revelations. Awesome game.

Amir0x

Banned
goddamn it is so depressing when I've been using a familiar for so long and it's finally ready to evolve and I'm all "i...i don't know if I can, dude. you'll go back to level 1! level 1! You're like my go-to familiar. What? No I don't care about your life and what's best for you!"

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
goddamn it is so depressing when I've been using a familiar for so long and it's finally ready to evolve and I'm all "i...i don't know if I can, dude. you'll go back to level 1! level 1! You're like my go-to familiar. What? No I don't care about your life and what's best for you!"

But he'll become an even better go-to familiar once you evolve him :p

Top Bottom