• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

madhtr

So, taming is completely random? And there's only a merit reward to slightly increase the chances? That's pretty lame. For a game based around monster taming/recruiting, you'd think there would be a better way to obtaining your little buddies.

Not random, each enemy has a % chance, from 1%-25% depending on the enemy.

one_kill

How good are Draggles? I'm not sure if it's worth having it on my team, especially since it takes a long time for them to level up.

Well I'm 6 hours in, on my way to the ''Desert Trials'' now.
Anything i should be aware of there?
Don't go in the temple unless you're prepared to evolve your Mite.

Sanctuary

Other than maybe the purrloiner line to tide you over, I recommend catching a naja all the way back at ding dong dell's sewers. It has a fast attack speed and its final forms end up with the 7th and 9th highest overall attack stats in the game.

People keep recommending the Naja, but they are not good for even mid game, they are utter garbage until close to the end of the game as well as post-game. They are NOT a replacement for Mitey for most of the game due to their horrible defense. It doesn't matter that their attack gets up there, they get utterly wrecked by just about everything. They are literally a Puss in Whatever with much less defense but seemingly much better tricks. Also, if you're trying to max out each evolution level, their first form hits level 36 before maxing, so it takes a hell of a long time.

The best common familiar for a third slot would probably be either a Plessie or a Bighorn for Oliver until you can get a Dino. Also, if you can get a Nacap for Esther, do so. They have an utterly godlike trick set and offer one of the best area of effect damage spells as well as heals for a long while. It's like a better version of her starting familiar.

I may have to change things up in the post game, but right now most of my characters are in the 70s and I'm at the
Ivory Tower
. While trying to get every enemy in my book, I hit a bunch of Tokos. lol It's too bad I'm overleveled, but that's fine.

Not really. The last boss is just that stupid.

zeopower6

Naja is really good for quick attacks. I believe it has a pretty good stat distribution at high levels and has a high attack combo per-attack.

It's hard to give up Mite though after you've been with him for the entire game :(~~~

In total stats, Mite ranks below like 130th or something.

Sanctuary

Mitey is one of the weakest familiars in the game FYI.

I've seen the stats. No use in keeping him tbh

People keep getting hungup on end stats while ignoring the fact that he levels quick and is good for a very long time. It doesn't matter what max evolved stats are, because a lot of those "end tier" familiars don't get that good until their third evolve. Mitey has one of the best specials and can use a shield, so he's still relatively useful until Dino time.

In total stats, Mite ranks below like 130th or something.

Yeah, and Griffy is like 124th, but that doesn't prevent him from still being better than many of the "top tier" familiars. If you rely on physical damage, having 250 magic attack is irrelevant. You also don't need both a very high defense AND high evade. Some familiars also have an absurdly high accuracy, but you don't need more than around 250 or so to hit almost every single time. Just to prove how pointless total stats are, look at the ranking of the Dinos.

What level do my starting familiars get to morph into their 3rd form? I thought it would be lv 30, but after hitting 30 it didnt happen. And whats the quickest way to level them back up? Going to be hard to go from lv 30+ back to lv 1

And is there any reason not to morph them immediately?

I beat the game and also
beat the strongest boss in the game post game
with Dynamite in my team. It doesn't really matter, honestly.

bodine1231

Beat the game this morning and had a great time (althought Xenoblade is hands down the best jrpg of this gen). My one major disappointment looking back is the lack of voice acting throughout the game. The beginning and end is loaded with great scenes and voice acting,but I was surprised that a vast majority of the game has to be read. It was really annoying when characters would say a line or two then the scene will switch to read mode when there is important stuff being explained. I dont know why they didnt go the extra mile.

RangerBAD

Beat the game this morning and had a great time (althought Xenoblade is hands down the best jrpg of this gen). My one major disappointment looking back is the lack of voice acting throughout the game. The beginning and end is loaded with great scenes and voice acting,but I was surprised that a vast majority of the game has to be read. Especially when characters would say a line or two then the scene will switch to read mode when there is important stuff being explained. I dont know why they didnt go the extra mile.

They were going for an old-school feel where we had to read everything! Truthfully, not sure why it was like that. I personally wanted a few more Ghibli cutscenes. Beggars can't be choosers though.

Iph

Banned
What kind of avatar? I have a bunch that I made a while ago if you're interested! Some may have been taken though... I removed most that I recall were used.

aKITFMa.png
R6aFg.png

EZJDseL.png
mV26UPx.png
wd5hQr3.png
DFrn9h5.png

UqN7lMi.png

AnkNbl2.png
FxdL6np.png

03q0yfz.png

dF9gO.png
H1gKk.png

OUtVY.png
WlPmW.png
vZDH6.png

JpZfe9H.png
rUZPlxn.png
TNjKIms.png
0EJVvus.png
sC6dWTs.png
IsLF1fH.png

6dFwhbx.png
au6z3Wv.png
mJFC8mb.png
h8ZSDzS.png
mVX0KZD.png
82Cxzdp.png

Also a set of familiars by pixiv artist Potennu (http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=2227889)

GOeiml2.png
h64ca4m.png
n5KFOHw.png
7FK1jS4.png

GVvgNIB.png
c9RoHO5.png
qZG2FBh.png
UUZrvCn.png
P3rB6E7.png

pkcfNqh.png

I'll take this unless it's taken, please. thx

zeopower6

They were going for an old-school feel where we had to read everything! Truthfully, not sure why it was like that. I personally wanted a few more Ghibli cutscenes. Beggars can't be choosers though.

Just a little tidbit, it takes Ghibli about a month to animate about five minutes so I understand why there wasn't as many scenes as people wanted. They also had their own stuff to work on so they were limited in free time after Ponyo :/

bodine1231

I liked the in engine scenes much better actually. It was just so offputting to have a character say a couple words or yell and then hard cut to text,it could have been done better.

I love this game, but I do wish the dungeon designs were a bit less linear. At least each dungeon has some sort of puzzle or trick to them, it seems...or most of them.

Near end-game spoilers ahoy..

Do not highlight below this line unless you're past
Shadar

Fighting King Tom is such a huge pain.. I'm having more trouble beating him than I did Shadar. He hits so hard and attacks quickly.. so i'm finding it difficult to interrupt his charge up attacks and he does it so often i can barely find the time to resurrect fallen party members.

My characters are in the low 50s but he's still beating my ass. Anyone have any suggestions on beating him?

I need help with the quest in Hamelin, where i have to capture a large and small mechanical creature and a cog. I have got the Cog but i can never seem to capture the rest of them. Why can i never capture mechanical creatures or undead ones like the Skeleton with Swords. Is there any way to increase the capture rate.

Lastly, how long will it take to complete this game? How long for 100%?

johnsmith

remember me
I need help with the quest in Hamelin, where i have to capture a large and small mechanical creature and a cog. I have got the Cog but i can never seem to capture the rest of them. Why can i never capture mechanical creatures or undead ones like the Skeleton with Swords. Is there any way to increase the capture rate.

It's just RNG. You have to keep killing more. There's no trick or tips.

JollyWolf

In help with ghost boy quest in
lama town and I am not sure where to find the letters in the Region of the World chapter

Sentenza

Not that I expect to see this game ever ported on any other platform, but just out of curiosity:
is this a PS3 exclusive because "contractually" forced to be one, or just because the publisher/developers didn't bother making any other version?

I know there is also a 3DS version, but that doesn't mean much, as maybe handleheld versions are under a different agreement.

JollyWolf

Not that I expect to see this game ever ported on any other platform, but just out of curiosity:
is this a PS3 exclusive because "contractually" forced to be one, or just because the publisher/developers didn't bother making any other version?

I know there is also a 3DS version, but that doesn't mean much, as maybe handleheld versions are under a different agreement.

It just comes down to what system are doing well in Japan. The only place where porting this to the 360 would be in the west and they probably don't see this niche title selling enough on the 360 to put in money into making that one. It's easier and cheaper to translate the version that already exists. Also DS, not 3DS.

Balphon

Mitey is one of the weakest familiars in the game FYI.

I've seen the stats. No use in keeping him tbh

He's great at low levels, it's just that his "early riser" type growth means his stats plateau at around level 40 or so, causing him to be outclassed thereafter. But since you're unlikely to get him beyond level 40 for the entire useful life of his first two forms and a large chunk of his third, he's still going to be quite effective for the first half of the game, if not longer.

What level do my starting familiars get to morph into their 3rd form? I thought it would be lv 30, but after hitting 30 it didnt happen. And whats the quickest way to level them back up? Going to be hard to go from lv 30+ back to lv 1

And is there any reason not to morph them immediately?

Bumping this since it seems to have gotten missed. Also should I just be rolling with the same set of familiars the entire time to get some people straight into 3rd form? Or should I be swapping them otu to get lots of guys into second form? Seems like I still have the same set of guys in my group as I did in the beginning of the game, because nobody's in 3rd form yet. All my other guys are sitting at lv. 1 in the retreat.

Sentenza

It just comes down to what system are doing well in Japan. The only place where porting this to the 360 would be in the west and they probably don't see this niche title selling enough on the 360 to put in money into making that one
Sure, I can imagine that.
My answer, anyway, wasn't aimed to argue about their choice, I was just curious to know if someone paid to make this an exclusive or if that was a free choice from the publisher/developers.

So, let's say that we lived in a parallel dimension where this game would reveal itself a giant blockbuster, nothing would stop developers to port in on 360?

P.S. I should point that I don't have a 360; so no, it's not stealth port begging.
The only port I would eventually be interested in is a PC version, but that's even less likely from a Japanese company.

Just got to the part with
Oliver trying to restore Phil's ambition. Man, I was always wondering what happened to him since the beginning of the game and now 30 or so hours in, I find out. Realizing that he's been avoiding Oliver and blaming himself the whole time for Oliver's mom's death, that's tough. And in a crazy moment, Oliver takes a piece of his own heart to do it. Love the description for ambition, "striving for a better tomorrow". That's Oliver, definitely.

Really touching moment between the two of them. This game really does have the Ghibli feel.

Bladenic

How do I get the green chest in Hamelin? I see it clearly but I can't trigger an (!) to pop up. Assuming I'm at the right location (the balcony above it where Horace stands).

zeopower6

I know there is also a DS version, but that doesn't mean much, as maybe handleheld versions are under a different agreement.

DS game. And it's not really because of an 'agreement' but rather because that game required the book. Imagine having to look at the book every time you wanted to cast Healing Touch or Gateway. Jeez... lol. It's immersive sure, but not fun for whoever has to print it. The box that the game was in on the DS is also HUGE due to the book so shelf space will be an issue if it ever came here.

I'd hope that a sequel would be on PS3/PS4... would be so glorious.

Eusis

Well, the DS version plays entirely differently (not 3DS, if it were 3DS we'd probably be seeing that here) and the PS3 is a proper HD game, so they likely reused minimal in-game assets, just the basic maps for places or whatever. Plus the game is HUGE on PS3 and doesn't even have that many cutscenes, something like 22 GB. This isn't just a contractual or apathetic-to-porting exclusive, it's a game that's plausibly too impractical to put on 360, depending on what's taking up all that space and how it can be divided (latter half of the game apparently gave up on VA for the most part). And it's already a year old, so Wii U's out of the question (though honestly, I expect if the Wii U DID come two years earlier it would've gone there instead).

... And yeah, as a result PC's the best alternative, though personally I'm more than satisfied with how the game looks on PS3. It's a nice stable 30 FPS with no dips, so it doesn't feel like it NEEDS to be 60, and on my TV it's more than sharp enough though it is a 720p. It'd be better on PC, yes, but this isn't Dark Souls or something that seemingly was developed by developers wishing they were working on next-gen hardware instead like Crysis 2/3 and Far Cry 3.

Busaiku

Darn it, the binding of the Wizard's Companion is getting me worried.
It really feels like the pages could come out while I'm flipping through it.

PK Gaming

How important is the genus affinity boost.

I'm still sticking with the Thumlemur on Oliver and I don't want to give
Swaine

Doombear

How do I get the green chest in Hamelin? I see it clearly but I can't trigger an (!) to pop up. Assuming I'm at the right location (the balcony above it where Horace stands).

If you haven't grabbed it yet, you have to be down on the lowest level and back near the lampost that is almost directly across from it. Should get the ! there.

Top Bottom