• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

burgerdog

I recall getting a spell that would let me port out of dungeons in
Fairyland
along with a bunch of others and yet there not there in my spell book. What's up with that?

one_kill

Bumping this since it seems to have gotten missed. Also should I just be rolling with the same set of familiars the entire time to get some people straight into 3rd form? Or should I be swapping them otu to get lots of guys into second form? Seems like I still have the same set of guys in my group as I did in the beginning of the game, because nobody's in 3rd form yet. All my other guys are sitting at lv. 1 in the retreat.
I'll have a go at your questions.

- Ideally, you should morph your familiars when they'e reached max level. That way, they could retain the highest possible stats after morphing. It's quite a troublesome ordeal since some familiars take a long time to reach their max level (for instance, mite's max level is 50 or 52). So you probably would want to do that for familiars you've decided will be in your main team.

- In regard to party management, it's generally safer to at least have two "main" familiars when training weaker familiars (I've only really needed to use one, but you can never be too safe). I don't really see a need for training other familiars unless you want to go for the corresponding trophies (unless, of course, there are quests where you need to show an evolved familiar which I haven't encountered any of yet).

Hope that helps!

QaaQer

this game or valkyria chronicles (latter is already in my backlog)

Which to play?

hmm. I'd have to say Valkyria Chronicles as the systems were more interesting to me, and more fun to play with than Ni No. Ni No is gorgeous however, and definitely worth playing.

If you do play Valkyria, try to ignore the whole grade thing until you've completed the game. The grades give you bonuses, but you can just grind for 20 minutes and get them anyway. & the grades are just based on doing each battle in the minimum number of turns, not how few members you lose. Only part of the game I didn't like.

Eusis

Man, I wish the Wizard's Compendium was in color.
It is though, it's just muted. Take a look at the monster section to see it, they're going for a style that makes it look more antiquated, and in many ways at that (I kinda want to see a JRPG with the artstyle much of it uses, using some variant of celshading.)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Which to play?

hmm. I'd have to say Valkyria Chronicles as the systems were more interesting to me, and more fun to play with than Ni No. Ni No is gorgeous however, and definitely worth playing.

If you do play Valkyria, try to ignore the whole grade thing until you've completed the game. The grades give you bonuses, but you can just grind for 20 minutes and get them anyway. & the grades are just based on doing each battle in the minimum number of turns, not how few members you lose. Only part of the game I didn't like.

What about story wise? :)

Sanctuary

He's great at low levels, it's just that his "early riser" type growth means his stats plateau at around level 40 or so, causing him to be outclassed thereafter. But since you're unlikely to get him beyond level 40 for the entire useful life of his first two forms and a large chunk of his third, he's still going to be quite effective for the first half of the game, if not longer.

Puss doesn't actually exceed Mitey's damage until he's about level 30 in his second form. This is in the best gear that you can get at that point. He's still well behind in magic defense and about tied in regular defense.

Damage works really strange in this game, because a difference of 15 - 20 attack is significantly larger than you'd expect, and Puss doesn't make up for it with his faster swing speed. The Naja doesn't even come close to Mitey until around time to morph into his third form. His damage is up there, but he still gets completely wrecked by just about everything.

Yaska

Just out of curiosity, is it worth to level Mite to 50 ( I have a golden Mite I'm leveling) to get the ??? skill, or is the skill useless? I've just kept Mite as a backup and mainly using Draggle to whoop enemies.

Stuart444

Am I under leveled where I am?
inside mummys tummy, just beat most of the rooms, the enemies were kicking my ass and killing one of my team, sometimes me sometimes not, once a round. I am level 21 - 22 I think. 23 at the max?

Loving the game anyway outside of the AI issues which have been mentioned plenty of times already.

Balphon

Puss doesn't actually exceed Mitey's damage until he's about level 30 in his second form. This is in the best gear that you can get at that point. He's still well behind in magic defense and about tied in regular defense.

Damage works really strange in this game, because a difference of 15 - 20 attack is significantly larger than you'd expect, and Puss doesn't make up for it with his faster swing speed. The Naja doesn't even come close to Mitey until around time to morph into his third form. His damage is up there, but he still gets completely wrecked by just about everything.

Yeah, I ended up phasing my Mite out for the Purrloiner around level 35 or so, and then phased the latter out for a Naja near the end of the game. It worked out great; I got a lot of use out of all three of them.

one_kill

Just out of curiosity, is it worth to level Mite to 50 ( I have a golden Mite I'm leveling) to get the ??? skill, or is the skill useless? I've just kept Mite as a backup and mainly using Draggle to whoop enemies.
It's not really worth leveling up Mite since there are better alternatives, but if you like him (or her, just in case :p) then it's better to maximise its level before evolving it.

Btw, the level 50 attack is ray gun. It's a fire move and costs 11mp.

Amir0x

Banned
IIRC you shoot that one from the ground up.

while we're talking green chests... how the heck do you get the one in that little snowy forest place with the one tribal chick saying her friends are out hunting? I like scoured that whole little snowy place for a trigger on that...

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

Both kinda suck. If all you're interested in is the story you'd probably need pretty low standards to like either solely for that one aspect. If you factor in the gameplay Valkyria is the clear winner. Since you already have it in your backlog I'd say play that and if you still want something later hit up Ni no Kuni.

while we're talking green chests... how the heck do you get the one in that little snowy forest place with the one tribal chick saying her friends are out hunting? I like scoured that whole little snowy place for a trigger on that...

It's pretty much straight back from the chest. If you're looking at the chest make sure you're as head-on and far back as possible. I had trouble with that one too. Several chests have really vague trigger spots.

Lain

Received my Wizard Edition this morning, now to open it and play some. It's been a while since I last turned my PS3 on (damn PC and all the sweet deals).

Bladenic

23 and 1/2 hours now. About to
heal the dragon whoooo.
Not that I'm in a hurry for this game to end, but how far am I percentage wise, roughly?

Stuart444

Maybe a little bit underlevelled, the boss fight coming up is tough, you could do with being around level 25, I'd say.

Fair enough, thanks. I'm not actively trying to be underleveled (and I have done all errands/bounties to date) so I guess I just need to fight more enemies at times on the world map than I do. Ah well, we'll see how things go.

MicH

I need some help with a side quest in Ding Dong Dell.
I've found two kids (lake-ish area and weapon store), but can't find the third. Anyone know where he is?

I need some help with a side quest in Ding Dong Dell.
I've found two kids (lake-ish area and weapon store), but can't find the third. Anyone know where he is?

IIRC there is a set of stairs just near their mother, head up those stairs and you'll find the last one

skarabrae

Banned
I'm roughly about an hour into the game,
trying to find enthusiasm for the King of Ding Dong Dell
and I'm enjoying it thus far. I actually had a friend of mine borrow it for review for a couple of weeks and he seemed to like it. Would it be ok if I posted a link of his review here?

Also, for people who have played the game further down the line, do you guys have any tips for leveling up your level 1 familiars quick? I heard all familiars start at that level and I'm worried that it's going to be a grind fest.

Ravage

Probably been mentioned (this board is way too fast) but Ni No Kuni has topped the weekly chart in the UK for all formats.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-04-uk-chart-ni-no-kuni-conjures-up-first-place-victory

"We have more stock going into the channel this week so check with local stores to receive your copy," Kirton continued. "We hope the word of mouth and demand for the title continues as it does prove that JRPGs are special and we invest a lot of time and effort within this genre."

Good news for JRPG fans.

The dungeons aren't particularly interesting in terms of layout, but they're purty. (._. ) I loved Tombstone Trail and Vault of Tears especially. Honestly, even the well dungeon at the start had me at attention. The sad thing for me is actually how short the dungeons actually are. Vault of Tears in particular was just over way too quickly.

For me, the length of the dungeons is perfect. I hate dungeons that feel like they go on forever.

QaaQer

Both kinda suck. If all you're interested in is the story you'd probably need pretty low standards to like either solely for that one aspect. If you factor in the gameplay Valkyria is the clear winner. Since you already have it in your backlog I'd say play that and if you still want something later hit up Ni no Kuni.

aww, how you could possibly think "anime teenagers fight wwii in an alternate supernatual world" sucks? ;-)

Oh, and if you end up liking Valkyria, the Udon art book is soo good, mainly because all of the art is accompanied by lots of great commentary by the artists, very enjoyable.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Little Bighorn why don't you love me? :(

I'm also tempted to go back to Ding Dong Well to get one of those anglerfishes and possibly that plessie thing.

I like to hurt myself with collecting familiars. :(

daveo42

Banned
Anyone run into side quests you couldn't complete right off since the pieces of heart aren't available?

I'm about to go
stone hunting to create the Mornstar
and picked up a ton a quests. The only ones I have left are for
kindness, courage, and I think belief.

Did I miss opportunities to get these pieces or are they just not available yet? I've scourered every map and came up with nothing.

@NamcoBandaiUK: The Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch soundtrack is now available in full! http://t.co/dzmbDiH4
A Wayô Records World Exclusive

Performed by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra
Composed and arranged by Joe Hisaishi
Japanese vocals by Mai
English vocals by Archie Buchanan

Includes all the musics from the hit PS3 game, plus a bonus collector's item: 20-page booklet featuring artwork, lyrics and background information (package and text in English).

33 tracks, 2 discs, 20-page booklet
Reference: WAYO-003~004
Pre-order: February 1st, 2013
Shipping date: March 2013

Ricker

Little Bighorn why don't you love me? :(

I'm also tempted to go back to Ding Dong Well to get one of those anglerfishes and possibly that plessie thing.

I like to hurt myself with collecting familiars. :(

I just got out of Hamelin and I am going back to the Cove because I didn't do the Horace quest since I didn't understand what to do,now I know but the game didn't let me go back there for a while because of the whole Fairyground thing etc etc...hopefully I can get back there now before doing the main story quest...Horace will still be in Cove right since I didnt do his task and will now be in Hamelin next time I go there?

anddo0

Who did you guys drop out for
Marcassin
?
I'm thinking of drooping Swaine outside of stealing he's useless.

Also end game spoilers:
the ending was fine. The stuff after Nevermore seems tacked on

Ricker

Marcassin
?

Also end game spoilers:

He is the only one that can grab the green chests though...can you switch him back and forth at anytime?(I don't have the other guy yet so I am not sure,thought that was it for partners besides the familiars hehe

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Marcassin
?

Also end game spoilers:

Marcassin seems much stronger than shitty AI Esther and Swaine but Esther and Swaine have important abilities and are essential to get the platinum (max their skills).

Alucrid

Banned
Last night I caught a dinoceros surprisingly easy. The babana monster is still the most difficult one to tame for me, took me like 1.5 hours. We'll see if a toko takes longer.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Oh boy this is going to be fun.

Got to Castaway cove and saw the errands. I need an emberstone...and the worst of them all getting the rainbow leaves from florets.

Considering all the florets run away from me because I'm overpowered and they are a shitload faster than me.

This is going to suck ass!

edit: Oh and finally caught a Little Bighorn after I gave up hope. :D

Beckx

Well, almost to the end now. The fight with
Shadar
was a real high point; I liked the designs & the story really shone.
Now the forces are assembling for the final assault, cannot wait.

One of the great things about this has been getting my kids into JRPGs. My daughter (11) has been leading the charge, and it's her game that's almost at the end of the story. My sons (9 & 6) are also really enjoying it, and since the 6 year old can't do everything, that's where I'm getting most of my playtime with the game so far.

I wonder, though, if they'll get into the genre generally after this. Miyazaki films and Pokemon are both big in our house, so no real surprise that a game that combines Ghibli animation with a Pokemon mechanic would be a hit. Hopefully this game will serve as a gateway to some of the great JRPGs out there, but it may still be too early to try to introduce FFVI.

Top Bottom