• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Balphon

So if I want to do the post game content, what's the quickest way to level up my characters? Is it just facing the Tokos in the final dungeon? Those ones are especially hard because they seem to run away immediately and you barely see them. Any tips would be appreciated.

Those Tokos are pretty much the fastest. You can try using Earsplitter or something as soon as the fight starts to knock them down. Also helps to sneak up on them with Veil before engaging.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Is there any advantage to continuing to level a critter even after they've learned all of their skills for that particular evolution?

one_kill

I haven't touched the game for almost four days now. I'm currently
shipwrecked
. The thought of getting the platinum put me off, but now I'm all set to go for it.

Here's my checklist:
- Constantly feed one familiar
- Keep track of which cauldrons items have been crafted
- Use steal

Is there any advantage to continuing to level a critter even after they've learned all of their skills for that particular evolution?
Yes, higher stats.

one_kill

Can I catch multiples of the same familiar?
Yup.

Don't worry about catching some familiars though if you're thinking of metamorphing them just to increase your familiar count. You can catch evolved versions of most of the familiars in later parts of the game.

Only concern yourself with leveling familiars you want on your main party.

Dartastic

Those Tokos are pretty much the fastest. You can try using Earsplitter or something as soon as the fight starts to knock them down. Also helps to sneak up on them with Veil before engaging.
I figured as much. THe problem is that I haven't seen ANY in the tower. They just show up as random enemies when other people rush me. Does the gateway trick work in there as well?

Balphon

I figured as much. THe problem is that I haven't seen ANY in the tower. They just show up as random enemies when other people rush me. Does the gateway trick work in there as well?

No, you have to run up and down one of those hallways to get things to respawn.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I have to find now the
Three Stones
... How much % I'm on the game? How many hours left?

I'm 22 hours in and I'm 50% complete as the telling stone shows.

I'm about 95% sure that the completion in the telling stone that says like "Task Completion" is definitely NOT your completion in the game. It's your completion for doing errands and such.

Source: Being at 50% completion and completing an errand it shooting up 1-2% and then turning in another task and it shooting up another 1-2%

For me right now, I've got (level 45 or so?--just did some swapping around):

Oliver: Dino, Puss in Boats (eyepatch one?) and a flash fry (3rd meta)
Esther: Gogo (yeah still), Auralynx (who will replace Gogo), Mitey (yeah still he's still ok)
Swaine: Adamantiger (insane atk speed/move speed), Paleolith (tank), Stabberwocky

I need some work with my party but I'm rolling pretty good right now.

Sanctuary

Around 360 or so; I don't have it in front of me.

Naja and Bonehead have fang slots too, so you're still dealing with 3 attack speed versus 5 and 4, respectively. Likewise, unlike Dinos, Najas have defend, and Boneheads have physical resist. I still think it's a push.

The physical resist is terribly overrated. I don't know if it's a flat amount either or a percentage, but it seems stronger at the lower levels. A Dino in armor still takes way less damage against physical attacks than any familiar who has a resist against it aside from maybe the Tombstone types. The fact that they can all wear the ring isn't really a factor either. The point was simply that the Dino can actually do damage with it's melee, and it's not soley a special attack or nothing type of familiar, even if that's what you primarily use it for. I wasn't suggesting that it was "great" at melee either, only that it's nowhere near as awful as some are suggesting.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, up to the second floor with one of the big wide hallways with 5 or so enemies in them. If you run to one end the enemies on the other end will despawn and reappear when you get close again.

Is that one of the hallways where Oliver shimmies along a narrow pathway?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
sorry for all the questions but I got another one

Is there any way to increase my odds of triggering the heart/capture icon? For instance going into to defense mode and letting them stay in the fight awhile longer or are odds predetermined before the fight even starts?

khaaan

So is it a better idea to wait until post game to try and catch familiars? Not that it would really make a difference since the capture rate doesn't get any better but at least killing would be easier. I think I've clocked in 15 hours and I only just reached Castaway Cove with a party levels ranging from level 20 to 25. I've been trying to catch two of every familiar I've seen so far but if I hear Oliver shout "Neato!" one more time I swear I'm going to bash my head into the wall.

Is there any way to increase my odds of triggering the heart/capture icon? For instance going into to defense mode and letting them stay in the fight awhile longer or are odds predetermined before the fight even starts?

As far as I know, no. Capture rates are set in stone, though I don't know at what point in the battle the game decides you get the opportunity to catch.

Balphon

The physical resist is terribly overrated. I don't know if it's a flat amount either or a percentage, but it seems stronger at the lower levels. A Dino in armor still takes way less damage against physical attacks than any familiar who has a resist against it aside from maybe the Tombstone types.

It's a percentage; Bone Baron's is 40%, Brigadier's is 30%. It's more effective than you think.

Probably also worth noting that there are a half dozen or so familiar types with higher defense than Dinos, to the extent that it matters. Lumberwoods in particular are good tanks for Esther if you can put up with their vulnerability to fire and low capture rate.

The fact that they can all wear the ring isn't really a factor either. The point was simply that the Dino can actually do damage with it's melee, and it's not soley a special attack or nothing type of familiar, even if that's what you primarily use it for.

Sure they can, I was just noting that (in my experience, anyway) the Naja and Bonehead do more damage over time with melee attacks, which makes them of comparable usefulness overall.

Is that one of the hallways where Oliver shimmies along a narrow pathway?

Not the shimmying part itself, but the hallway it's connected to.

FINALBOSS

Banned

No way to increase the odds except as a reward for doing tasks...it's one of the last row Merit rewards.

Derrick01

Banned
Do ingredients out in the world map have spawn timers or do they come back after a certain number of battles? I went into a town and they still haven't come back. I need to farm damn it!

So I'm thinking about picking this up. I haven't really been interested in JRPGs for quite some time - didn't finish FF13 for example. I'm a little hesistant since it seems to be such a long game and I often don't complete longer games. So what I'm wondering is basically if this game is good enough to hopefully keep me interested over 40+ hours.

FINALBOSS

Banned
So I'm thinking about picking this up. I haven't really been interested in JRPGs for quite some time - didn't finish FF13 for example. I'm a little hesistant since it seems to be such a long game and I often don't complete longer games. So what I'm wondering is basically if this game is good enough to hopefully keep me interested over 40+ hours.

I'm not a huge JRPG player (the amount I've beaten can be counted on one hand most likely) but god damn do I love this game. The combat isn't the greatest thing ever, but the charm, presentation, and aesthetics really carries it into greatness for me.

It's one of my favorite games this gen.

It's a solid traditional JRPG. If you don't enjoy the genre, chances are you won't enjoy this game..,

jono95

Just finished (+ all post-game content) after 59 hours. All errands and such done. I don't think I'm going to get the platinum just because I can't be bothered catching/evolving another ~100 familiars.
Such a great game though. Definitely in my top 5 of the generation.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just do the Fairyground

One of the moments I really wish they had voice acting throughout. Love those accents!

Replicant

Just got to the Tombstone Trail. FFFFFFFFFFF the final boss in that area nearly wiped the floor using my party members. I barely won the fight with only Oliver as the only surviving member.

I think I'm going to level up a bit more since my party is only about Level 30+ at the moment.

Audioboxer

Got to Hamelin (sp?) and then discovered I could grind tokos. Thought I had to be able to fly. First I went and tamed a lumberwood, then spent an hour or so grinding tokos and managed to get the team up to level 45 and capture one toko!

Think I'm way overlevelled now

so im past dealing with hamelin but im going back on tasks and there is one where you are supposed to get a fungus west of hamelin for a sick guys wife. ive walked all over and havent seen it. any help?

so im past dealing with hamelin but im going back on tasks and there is one where you are supposed to get a fungus west of hamelin for a sick guys wife. ive walked all over and havent seen it. any help?

There's a tiny little bit of forest west of Hamelin and south of Tombstone Trail. It's a secret forest, you'll get it from there. You have to trade something for it but I can't remember what now.

TTG

So, where's this dinoceros guy? The big battle seems to be right around the corner and I'm still using the starting pokemon(well, out of commission right now, due to final metamorph). And what level do I need to be to go after him?

Is any exact data available about the efficacy of various merit awards? I'm interested mostly in the one that increases tame success rate. Does anyone know how much the rate increases by? I have the Prima guide and I can see the success rate for each creature, but that is probably the unmodified rate, so I'm just wondering how the merit award affects this

I realized that the initial familiars are really crap.

I reached the third evolution of the first familiar (the knight one) and is only getting 2 and a few 3 (even some 1) in their params each level up. That seems to happen also with that monkey familiar, and basically with the "default" familiars that you get with the characters.

Anyone knows good alternative to the default familiars??? I found that the "banana" familiar is much better than the one that Jairo has by default (it get a 5, a lot of 4 and 3's each level up). But any alternative for the "knight" and "mage chicken" one of Esther and the "Knight" of Oliver?

Nope,just enter the trees and its kinda in the middle of the circle the 3 trees make...It's completly west and I think there's one of those glittering spots near by also...

is it under a glittering spot? thats what ive been looking for i thought i found it but it was like a walnut kinda thing instead

I realized that the initial familiars are really crap.

I reached the third evolution of the first familiar (the knight one) and is only getting 2 and a few 3 (even some 1) in their params each level up. That seems to happen also with that monkey familiar, and basically with the "default" familiars that you get with the characters.

Anyone knows good alternative to the default familiars??? I found that the "banana" familiar is much better than the one that Jairo has by default (it get a 5, a lot of 4 and 3's each level up). But any alternative for the "knight" and "mage chicken" one of Esther and the "Knight" of Oliver?
dinoceros/naja/purrloiner

seek them. Enjoy.

WEGGLES

I'm really enjoying this game a ton. Really glad I bought it. (And got an amazing deal on it. A co-worker got 2 copies (one reg edition preorder for steel book, and one special edition from Namco), sold me the "normal box" copy from the special edition for what he'd get for it from EBgames at the time, which was $25. I offered more but he declined).

I've been on a bit of a gaming funk lately and don't have much desire to play anything... yet I've managed 18 hours in this!

madhtr

I never noticed any difference with it either. I wouldn't be surprised if it was only giving you a +1% bonus.

It adds +20% more to the current percentage. So if there's a 25% chance to tame a familiar, the merit ups it to 30%. And if a familiar has a 1% chance, that same merit only makes it 1.2%. It's really not that great.

Is any exact data available about the efficacy of various merit awards? I'm interested mostly in the one that increases tame success rate. Does anyone know how much the rate increases by? I have the Prima guide and I can see the success rate for each creature, but that is probably the unmodified rate, so I'm just wondering how the merit award affects this

+20% of original percentage. See my above comment.

Top Bottom