• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

reson8or

Just finished the game. I really loved it but does anyone else feel like
The white witch part kind of felt just added in. It wasn't bad but the whole shadar ending kind of threw me off. I forgot about her when that happened lol. Felt like it could of just ended at shadar.

Nah, to me it felt like
he last 3rd of a 3 act story, albeit a very long 3 act story. There is actually still more story info post game if you want to find out more

I think its best to find what your familiar's favorite food is and then keep feeding that to them to max out the hearts. Every time you fill one, it increases the max # of bonus stat points in can have. Also most familiars gain extra active skill slots at either 3 hearts or 5 hearts

Hmm, well that would have been useful to know. I've lost track of how many tricks I've had to throw away because the monster didn't have enough slots :(

Just got my 2nd party member.

Mind kinda turned upside down with the first combat encounter.

Gonna take a bit getting used too. Two characters, 4 familiars, swapping familiars, affinity, etc.

Really starting to open up.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Just got my 2nd party member.

Mind kinda turned upside down with the first combat encounter.

Gonna take a bit getting used too. Two characters, 4 familiars, swapping familiars, affinity, etc.

Really starting to open up.

I gave up using opposing signs like 10 hours in, lol.

Akainu

Are there monsters not already in the creatures section you can get? In the two page spread with a load of monsters there is like a alligator familiar can you get that?

I'm sure this is a common question, but what are the 3 or 6 best familiars I should have, and who should be using them? Currently I have

Oliver: Puss in Bouts + Demoliceros
Esther: Gogo (3rd form starting familiar) + random
Swaine: Gunther (3rd form starting familiar) + random

I'm postgame, so I assume pretty much anything is accessible to me.

Ive been using
mite and naga with puss in boot leveling up
penguin- owl thing- angler fish
tiger that punches stuff- monkey- whatever he started with.

Seems to work ok, It becomes hard trying to balance ones I want to use with ones I want to evolve for fun/ semi usefulness but I try to put the right type with the right person for the bonus it apparently gives them.

hswbaz

Neo Member
I'm sure this is a common question, but what are the 3 or 6 best familiars I should have, and who should be using them? Currently I have

I wouldn't really say there is a "best" 3-6 familiars, but if I had to pick just 1 familiar for each party member, at max level, it would be
Demoliceros, Electrongo and Bone Baron.

Some other good ones to balance your group are
Grimray, Honkey-Tonker (amazing stats), Mahanaja, Nightcap (highest overall stats in the game at lvl 99),
and there are plenty more. There are spreadsheets out there with max stats of every familiar if you want to theorycraft your own custom team.

Wow I completely forgot about that.

Same here, forgot about it as soon as it was mentioned.

Balphon

Oliver's probably fine with the Dino alone, and he's better at magic than any familiar you could give him.

As for the other two, here's what I used for most of the game:

Esther: Hooray (Grimray), Sparkee (Acee), Lagoon Naiad (Greater Naiad)
Swaine: Bonehead (Bone Baron), Girlfiend (Phantasma)

Worked out fine, and everything but the Naiad made use of familiar compatibility.

Clegg

Does anyone know where I can find Horace in Castaway Cove?

I know he's supposed to be there but he's definitely not. I've done every quest there too and am about to leave the place.

Neverfade

Are there enough merit stamps to get all the rewards if I don't collect familiars for this one asshole? Because FUCK those errands.

Is this game worth 60$? I'm thinking about buying it.

As someone who just completed the game, I consider the story and the art design / art direction to be one of the best of the past 15 years. I rank it up there with Chrono Trigger and FF6 in terms of story. The only complaints I have are related to the mechanics and the combat. But even then, they are relatively minor (but then again, those have never been the major important aspects of an RPG to me). So I guess it depends on what you like most in an RPG

Akainu

Aligator? Maybe you're looking at the Salamander enemies?

Here is the whole picture.

This is the one I'm talking about.

UCegqGs.png

Conan-san

I'm kinda miffed the game won't accept custom soundtracks. Ghibli Music's great and all but after a point I want to have Eternity blasting out of my TV when I fight a Nightmare Boss.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just got to Hamelin but I finally came across a point that drove me mad.

It involved one of the fetch quests you had to do:

The fetch quest where you need the 3 slapsticks. It started off okay I blinded the first two whambats I faced then all of a sudden I couldn't blind any of them. I went over 10 deep before one finally got blinded again. Geez!

zeopower6

Just got to Hamelin but I finally came across a point that drove me mad.

It involved one of the fetch quests you had to do:

The fetch quest where you need the 3 slapsticks. It started off okay I blinded the first two whambats I faced then all of a sudden I couldn't blind any of them. I went over 10 deep before one finally got blinded again. Geez!

That's kind of odd... maybe it was just bad luck? Any time that I needed to do that, I got it the first three creatures.

That list is short, so no wonder people probably have never really seen it all that often.

This game reeeaaallllly could have done without the
frog
segment. I'm also starting to dislike the main characters, mainly because they interrupt my exploring so often with endless bullshit chatter or "advice" that i'm now quickly skipping through all the text to get back to the game.

Bladenic

He's probably DS-only. There were a lot more creatures in the DS game. (Now that I'm looking, Griffy/Flutterby was originally in the DS game but was removed/not added in the Japanese PS3 version... then readded in the Western version)

That kind of sucks. That alligator looks cool. The one I'm most disappointed about is the rapier wielding fox whom someone has as an avatar, though I suppose he was redundant with Purrloiner.

Dany

Banned
In fact I've never even heard of it for any game ever

On the xbox you can play any music on your harddrive or streaming from the PC and the song will stop for cutscenes or 'non-ingame events'

Its a system level feature on the xbox that I assumed was on the ps3. FYI I just go a ps3 :p

Nose Master

This game reeeaaallllly could have done without the
frog
segment. I'm also starting to dislike the main characters, mainly because they interrupt my exploring so often with endless bullshit chatter or "advice" that i'm now quickly skipping through all the text to get back to the game.

What was so bad about it? It was like, ten minutes. I agree about the characters, though. Oliver especially got very grating around that point.

Unrelated, I don't understand how anyone is having a problem with the difficulty. You can put one or two movement speed+ items on Oliver and kite everything in the game with your eyes closed.

On the xbox you can play any music on your harddrive or streaming from the PC and the song will stop for cutscenes or 'non-ingame events'

Its a system level feature on the xbox that I assumed was on the ps3. FYI I just go a ps3 :p

ps3 is far behind and doesn't have enough ram to allow it. and it's optional (after a few firmware update to allow CS) but devs don't give a fuck

zeopower6

That kind of sucks. That alligator looks cool. The one I'm most disappointed about is the rapier wielding fox whom someone has as an avatar, though I suppose he was redundant with Purrloiner.

Hm... is it a fox or a rabbit? If it's the rabbit, he should have been in the game but was removed since the mobile game he came from never left Japan/ceased operations a few months ago. I wanted him too. He looked awesome! :(

WjFtjgm.jpg

Suen

Just got to know that my order of the limited edition has been cancelled.

I pre-ordered this game back in October last year from Zavvi. Despite the bad stigma Zavvi has on GAF I've been buying games from them for over three years now without any big problems so I expected this to go the usual way. They tried charging me twice but there was some payment problems (my fault) which I noticed a few days later. I fixed the problem and requested my order to be resolved. Few days later I get a message saying I had cancelled my order despite not having done so at all.
To be fair much of this is my own fault as I was slow checking updates on the order but
I would have at least fucking appreciated if they gave some sort of warning that they would cancel it. What I think happened instead is that they gave my unit to some other random dude who had pre-ordered it and then sent me a mail that I had cancelled it lol.

Anyway having had some interest in this game (but not being hyped) I'm slightly irritated rather than being full of rage (especially if you consider how rare this edition will be, hell it already is) but this killed my interest in it and I don't feel like paying the double amount of the original price just to fetch the limited ed. again.

That collection would have been nice to have though :/

Amir0x

Banned

It doesn't make sense to me why they removed so many familiars that had full character models...

...oh, wait, DLC, let me guess? :(

Top Bottom