• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Boy there are a couple times where I wish the rumored a screenshot functionality of the PS4 were already in the PS3. Specifically
Old Smoky Mountain

Paches

Ending:
I really wish the game just ended with the Shadar part. Felt like I was being dragged on a little while longer.

I'm actually kind of glad it didn't end there. They hadn't yet explained
Pea's connection with the whole thing, and the entire time you've been seeing the White Witch and then it just drops off a cliff like that with no explanation or closure on the white witch? Would have been really weird

Paches

I think that's where it ends on the DS version.

Well, shit. Why mess with perfection in terms of the story? :(

I'm actually kind of glad it didn't end there. They hadn't yet explained
Pea's connection with the whole thing, and the entire time you've been seeing the White Witch and then it just drops off a cliff like that with no explanation or closure on the white witch? Would have been really weird

Well, they could have had some cutscene where the Queen says she will get revenge or some other BS and then it could be Ni no Kuni 2!

zeopower6

It doesn't make sense to me why they removed so many familiars that had full character models...

...oh, wait, DLC, let me guess? :(

Well, the ones from the DS game never had PS3 models (Griffy and Flutterby eventually got some though), but the three that were in the Japanese All in One edition were removed for reasons unknown. I hope they're DLC soon since they're badass, lol.

As for
the White Witch, I'm not sure if she was ever even in the DS game's story, which focused completely on Shadar... the subtitle was even referring to him! (Dominion of the Dark Djinn as opposed to Wrath of the White Witch)

Bladenic

Well, the ones from the DS game never had PS3 models (Griffy and Flutterby eventually got some though), but the three that were in the Japanese All in One edition were removed for reasons unknown. I hope they're DLC soon since they're badass, lol.

As for
the White Witch, I'm not sure if she was ever even in the DS game's story, which focused completely on Shadar... the subtitle was even referring to him! (Dominion of the Dark Djinn as opposed to Wrath of the White Witch)

I thought it was just "The Jet-Black Mage?" Eh your title is cooler haha. But yeah, I'm pretty sure The White Witch didn't exist in the DS version
and I guess by extension neither did Pea.
Were there any other changes, I wonder? Like any other characters, or the methods of transport.

Elios83

Guys I need a little help, I'm at a point where I can mutate my familiars using stardrops. The point is that it doesn't work, I try to feed them with the respective spheres but it's not working.

Guys I need a little help, I'm at a point where I can mutate my familiars using stardrops. The point is that it doesn't work, I try to feed them with the respective spheres but it's not working.

Can you provide the exact name fo the familiar you'er trying to morph, as well as the exact name of the drop you're trying to use?

Are you sure you're not feeding them the "Jumbo" star drops you get from the familiar keeper the first time you use him?

I had the same thing happen. The jumbo ones are only for evolving them into their final form. You need to make sure you have the regular "___drop"

Sanctuary

Sounds like a size differential. There are the regular versions as well as the jumbo versions. The first mutation requires a regular, and the second a jumbo.

Elios83

Are you sure you're not feeding them the "Jumbo" star drops you get from the familiar keeper the first time you use him?

I had the same thing happen. The jumbo ones are only for evolving them into their final form. You need to make sure you have the regular "___drop"

Yeah that's what I was trying to do!
So it doesn't work...I was starting to think I had a savegame bug :D
So...where can I find the regular spheres?
Thank you =)

Mikey Jr.

Either you're feeding them jumbo drops, giving them the wrong sign, or they are metamorphable yet. One of those 3.

Sanctuary

Thank you =)

Just random drops/chest drops. You can often steal them from enemies once you have the required party member. Your compendium as well as the tome of knowledge can help if you're looking for a specific drop.

Thank you =)
I'm probably at the same point as you it sounds like, and where I've been finding them is randomly through battles as well as chests. I might have about 3 or 4 so far.

zeopower6

I thought it was just "The Jet-Black Mage?" Eh your title is cooler haha. But yeah, I'm pretty sure The White Witch didn't exist in the DS version
and I guess by extension neither did Pea.
Were there any other changes, I wonder? Like any other characters, or the methods of transport.

Well, there's an official translation of the title now, so I use that now instead of the Jet Black one, lol. I'm guessing it was probably to fit with the new title of the PS3 game. (Wrath of the White Witch vs. Queen of the Holy White Ash)

jiggle

Just finished the game. I really loved it but does anyone else feel like
The white witch part kind of felt just added in. It wasn't bad but the whole shadar ending kind of threw me off. I forgot about her when that happened lol. Felt like it could of just ended at shadar.

such a big disappointment that non of the zodiarchs got fleshed out, save one in post game
i was hoping, throughout the game, that they don't pull a FFXII on them

RangerBAD

such a big disappointment that non of the zodiarchs got fleshed out, save one in post game
i was hoping, throughout the game, that they don't pull a FFXII on them

They were all dead and inconsequential at that point. They only good one got fleshed out as a ghost, at least. And the other was the Wizard King/Astra. I think they did a pretty good job of showing them as greedy and corrupted men and women they were. The whole story is about the strengths and weaknesses of the heart. So I don't think they really need to go into much detail. The story wasn't about them but about the weakness of the Queen's heart.

Raw64life

It was definitely strange how
a good chunk of the Wizard King back story is revealed in a post-game sidequest
. Better than no story at all I guess. Maybe there's a sidequest I haven't done yet that explains why all of the other world's soulmates are located within 1 square mile of 1950's Detroit.

Ricker

Vault of Tears...so annoying and I think I cant get out of there now,this has to be one of the worst balanced game I have played in quite a while and the grind is starting to get to me...

Bladenic

. Better than no story at all I guess. Maybe there's a sidequest I haven't done yet that explains why all of the other world's soulmates are located within 1 square mile of 1950's Detroit.

Yeah that plot point seemed forgotten. As for your second point, it kind of does. I also got the impression
that Oliver's world was exclusively compromised of Motorville.

JollyWolf

Do we have confirmation that they are all from motorville?

Raw64life

Do we have confirmation that they are all from motorville?

No, but it seemed all too convenient that everyone's soulmate that they reveal in the game is in the same square mile. Was hoping that you would get to explore more of or outside of Motorville at some point and it never happens.

Bladenic

No, but it seemed all too convenient that everyone's soulmate that they reveal in the game is in the same square mile. Was hoping that you would get to explore more of or outside of Motorville at some point and it never happens.

Read my above post. That's probably the explanation.

It's crazy how after starting in Al Mamoon today I was struggling with these monsters some. Now I'm running through them after getting through the mountain. I love that feeling in RPGs.

mace999

Neo Member
55 hour save just died, I was in the last palace of the Snow Witch, went to save and the game hung ....... had to pull the av switch = save game corrupt :(

My previous record was a Dragons Dogma 30 hour save die, but this one now has that record :(

Not gonna start again

Ugh. Thats terrible. Its things like this that make my $50/ year on PS+ worth it, even if just for peace of mind

I had that happen to me on Resonance of Fate, but at least that game i didnt really like. This game that would really hurt

Replicant

55 hour save just died, I was in the last palace of the Snow Witch, went to save and the game hung ....... had to pull the av switch = save game corrupt :(

My previous record was a Dragons Dogma 30 hour save die, but this one now has that record :(

Not gonna start again

Huh? Did you only use one save over and over again? I have about 13 or so saves, each usually in one location before each Boss fight.

Reveirg

THE END

I can't remember the last time I was so sad to finish a game. I would've taken 30 more hours of storyline... and I usually like my RPGs short.

Absolutely fantastic game, ranks up along Xenoblade for best RPG of the gen IMO.

It's a true classic. Keeps the best elements of old RPGs and introduces a vivid and lush universe with fantastic characters.

I really hope we get another collaboration between Level-5, Ghibli and Joe Hisaishi. A new IP would actually work best in this case, I believe.

And it's a true return to form for Level-5 =)

one_kill

Not gonna start again
I really need to start backing up my saves. I don't know if I'll be able to finish the game if I had to start all over again. Sorry for your corrupt save :(

Amir0x

Banned
I beat the game, last bosses were all hella easy... first tried them :(

Also, first encounter with a Tokocold and i got to capture him. I guess he's equally as useless as Toko unless I spend an inordinate amount of time leveling him?

It's nice that there's post game content, though. Really swell

ta9qi

changed my mind and decided to complete the sidequests -cant leave this beauty world that fast-, now i have to level up a familiar for a girl from 30 to 40, where's the best place for grinding? i think i cant go inside the last dungeon now right ?

Replicant

I just love the theme song, Kokoro no Kakera (Fragments of Heart):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RkTQ2YN56U

Lyric

shiroi hitsujigumo oikakete hashiita
itsuka ano sora ni todokisou na ki ga shite

namida no shizuku wa
kibou no kate to
oshiete kureta yo

aitai mou ichido tsuyoku dakishimete
kokoro no kakera wo mitsukeru tabi ni deyou
kanashimi no mukougishi no atarashii sekai e

haruka mukashi kara tsunagareta kizuna ni
inochi erabarete umareru to iu kiseki

zetsubou no namida
sukuu hikari wo
anata ga terashita

mabuta tojireba ukabu ano egao
hitori demo heiki sa anata ni koko ni iru kara
mirai e to tsudzuku michi wo boku wa ima susumu yo

aitai mou ichido tsuyoku dakishimete
kokoro no kakera wo mitsukeru tabi ni deyou
ano hikari ni tsutsumareta atarashii sekai e

Translation

I ran after those clouds like white sheep
For I felt that one day I might reach the sky

It was you who taught me
That teardrops can
Give life to hope

I want to see you – Embrace me once again
Let’s go on a journey to find the fragments of our hearts
To a new world waiting on that shore far from sadness

Long long ago, the bonds of two people
Chose for me life, in that miracle called birth

On my despairing tears
You shined for me
A light of salvation

When I close my eyes I see your smile
I’ll be alright on my own, because really, you’re right here
So I’ll keep walking along this road, into the future

I want to see you – Embrace me once again
Let’s go on a journey to find the fragments of our hearts
To a new world wrapped in the light you once showed me

Amir0x

Banned
changed my mind and decided to complete the sidequests -cant leave this beauty world that fast-, now i have to level up a familiar for a girl from 30 to 40, where's the best place for grinding? i think i cant go inside the last dungeon now right ?

I just went to that one island right north east of Summerlands Continent. Small one has some Tokos on it give 3000 exp a piece; that girls familiar will be leveled in a few battles.

Edit: You can go to the area by Perdida for TokoToko's and they give like 9800 if you have the exp merit bonus on, and they appear fairly frequently if you make a route up and down the area by Perdida.

IJoel

Finished the game during the weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit. I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed at the story (I expect more out of Studio Ghibli I guess). Length and difficulty were on point for me; no issues there. I wish there were more Studio Ghibli cutscenes (I can't get enough of their movies).

Ranks 3rd or 4th for me, for this generations' JRPGs (after ToV, LO, probably tied with BD).

BTW, on the last area, I encountered a Tokocold that gave me 25K xp.

Alucrid

Banned
Whenever I play this game I think, "I'm going for the platinum" (would be my first), then I think about how long it would take for alchemy and to catch 'em all and think, "fuck it", then I start to play again and convince myself that I will. shiiit. I'm already 40+ hours in too.

zeopower6

Finished the game during the weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit. I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed at the story (I expect more out of Studio Ghibli I guess). Length and difficulty were on point for me; no issues there. I wish there were more Studio Ghibli cutscenes (I can't get enough of their movies).

Ghibli didn't touch the story as far as I know. It was all Level-5/Akihiro Hino as is the case for most of their games. It was pretty touching though imo in the beginning and latter parts of the game.

ta9qi

I just went to that one island right north east of Summerlands Continent. Small one has some Tokos on it give 3000 exp a piece; that girls familiar will be leveled in a few battles.

Edit: You can go to the area by Perdida for TokoToko's and they give like 9800 if you have the exp merit bonus on, and they appear fairly frequently if you make a route up and down the area by Perdida.
Great, thanx i'll try that later..but now going to sleep my eyes will blow up from the many hours i played @@
the thing i liked so much about the sidequests here is the variety of them,not like xenoblade which was so boring and repetitive with scary amount of missions!

Alucrid

Banned
Great, thanx i'll try that later..but now going to sleep my eyes will blow up from the many hours i played @@
the thing i liked so much about the sidequests here is the variety of them,not like xenoblade which was so boring and repetitive with scary amount of missions!

I found it easiest to save at the top near the town, then run down and check if there's any as the on-the-map enemy. If not engage the first mob, if there's no tokos there then just reload. Dunno if that's the best, but it's easy to do while listening to a podcast or something.

So I just finished up the post-game alchemy quest, am I the only one that found the difficulty of this to be grossly over-exaggerated? First of all, you only need 3 kaleidostones because you get 2 from completing the errand where you have to go find all the faeries. The other 3 I got in under 30 minutes in Glittering Grotto.

The scrolls of truth were a little longer, but i got all 5 in under 90 minutes. At first I spent some time just running around the cave in Tombstone Trail seeing if I could identify places where Honky Tonkers were more likely to spawn than Trumpy Pumpers, and finally I came to the conclusion that when you first enter the cave, if you take a left at the intersection and go all the way to the end, 80-90% of encounters with gold monsters in that single path will be Honky Tonkers. Furthermore, I figured out that you can never (I'm pretty sure) encounter a Honky Tonker if the monster you see on the map is not a Bougie or a Honky Tonker. So if you see a Zombie, Eggroll, Girlfiend, or Wisp, don't engage. But if you see a Honky Tonker or a Bougie (the ghost with the light on its tail), engage. With this I would just run back and forth between the intersection and the treasure chest. If it was one of the monster you don't engage, I aggroed it anyway so it would disappear. If I engaged a mob and there was no honky-tonker, I would just run. Veil isn't necessary since 90% of the time you can back-attack a monster while it's running away from you. 20-30 minutes was probably spent figuring all this out, and the other 60 minutes getting the 5 scrolls of truth.

All the business about the golden glim / lucky fingers method seems unnecessary as well. Scroll of truth is a 40% steal from the Honky Tonker, and the golden glim method causes you to a) take a lot of damage and possibly die, b) has a lot of room for error since the enemies often switch targets and attack the wrong person, c) takes FOREVER to get the golden glim to pop out. With the method above I was fighting Honky Tonkers every 5-7 minutes, so at that rate it doesn't take long at all to get 5 scrolls with a 40% steal rate

I just bought this game yesterday. I was really impressed. Im VERY early on (major map just opened up and im going to the "dark woods"

what i like so far;

1) Music is fantastic
2) Graphics are great
3) Tutorial system is one of the best ive ever encountered - the exact opposite of something like resonance of fate.
4) The whole "feeling" of the game is something i have not experienced since Bastion this gen. Its like putting in Secret of Mana for the first time or Chronotrigger.

Havent really explored the battle system but it looks fine so Far.

Any tips for a new player or should i just wing it and enjoy it?

Top Bottom