• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

reson8or

55 hours in, about to enter the
Ivory Tower
. Being snowed in the past few days has its advantages (I basically played this all weekend) :p Looked at the postgame content, I'll probably finish up the sidequests/hunts (have done every single one so far, including the annoying Derwyn ones), and then go for a few more trophies. Not going for the alchemy/250 familiar ones though... since they seem to be way too consuming.

What level should I be on to S-rank the coliseum? Is grinding tokotokos by Perdida the best idea to build up? I'm at 58 now.

Ya know, I'm at around the 80 hour mark and still not finished up with Alchemy and Collecting familiars, though I did neglect them completely when playing through the story. I can't seem to put this game down, its oddly addictive, and I tend to grind while watching TV with the wife, lol.

hswbaz

Neo Member
I'm a huge fan of games like Final Fantasy 6,7,9,12, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, etc looking for a good JRPG to get into. Will I like this game or be put off by the cutesy shit?

I was going to say yes, but if you think Studio Ghibli makes "cutesy shit" I would avoid this game as a lot of the enjoyment I got was admiring the graphics. Also, we can't be friends.

daycru

I'm a huge fan of games like Final Fantasy 6,7,9,12, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, etc looking for a good JRPG to get into. Will I like this game or be put off by the cutesy shit?
It's very much a traditional children's animated film in tone. Good characters, has made me laugh a few times and I genuinely care about the story. Speaking as someone who loves the games you listed and who has kind of fallen out of JRPGs, I'm very much enjoying my time with Ni No Kuni.

Interfectum

It's very much a traditional children's animated film in tone. Good characters, has made me laugh a few times and I genuinely care about the story. Speaking as someone who loves the games you listed and who has kind of fallen out of JRPGs, I'm very much enjoying my time with Ni No Kuni.

Thanks. I'm really considering this game as my jump back into JRPGs then I'll jump into Persona 4 Golden.

How is the story? And by "cutesy shit" I generally mean some of the character designs. They seem like they could be annoying to be around for 40+ hours. Though I'm 100% unfamiliar with that Ghibli studio so I have no idea, which is why I asked.

Actually there is NO point of no return. After you beat the game, you make a completed save game file. It puts you right before the boss, as if the fight had never happened, but you're free to go explore and do lots of new stuff, including a whole slew of new bounty hunts and sidequests

I'm not aware of any cutesy shit in the game o_o

Surely you remember the part where the genie pulls the pink dress and the umbrella out of the lamp?

Actually there is NO point of no return. After you beat the game, you make a completed save game file. It puts you right before the boss, as if the fight had never happened, but you're free to go explore and do lots of new stuff, including a whole slew of new bounty hunts and sidequests

Surely you remember the part where the genie pulls the pink dress and the umbrella out of the lamp?

some of the dialogue is pretty cringe worthy, but other times its amazing

Interfectum

I'm not aware of any cutesy shit in the game o_o

Well I initially wrote if off the second I looked at a screenshot. But the more people I hear talking about it and the more I read this thread... I'm sorta convinced I'm being an asshat about it. There's gotta be something here that's amazing I'm just not seeing it in the screens. It seems a lot of old JRPG fans are coming back for this one.

kubus

Oh alright, that's good news! I was afraid the game would be over soon, hearing that there's more stuff after the ending makes me really glad :D

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Oh alright, that's good news! I was afraid the game would be over soon, hearing that there's more stuff after the ending makes me really glad :D

Oh don't worry. You have a lot of post game content to rrrrreeeeaaaallllyyyy ddddrrrraaaagggg on the experience. Almost all of the post game content is insanely padded and very little of it is actually fun. The stuff that actually is fun is pretty good though.

Who else is excited for Draggle tonight? I've been waiting to start until this xD

how often do toko spawn in perdida. i've gotten like only 2 in the past 30 minutes

image.php

Nice avatar ;D

Well I initially wrote if off the second I looked at a screenshot. But the more people I hear talking about it and the more I read this thread... I'm sorta convinced I'm being an asshat about it. There's gotta be something here that's amazing I'm just not seeing it in the screens. It seems a lot of old JRPG fans are coming back for this one.
it's oldschool jrpg fun mixed with some newschool stuff, throw in some addicting mechanics, amazing music and some ridiculously charming aspects overall, worth getting.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
how often do toko spawn in perdida. i've gotten like only 2 in the past 30 minutes

I saw a youtube video on it, you cast the vanish spell and run from Perdida to the base of the valley, then cast the teleport spell back to Perdida. I usually get it on 2-3 traversals. My biggest problem is actually making out the sprite for the Tokotoko, the world map is pretty zoomed out in the game and I get them confused with the Claptrap enemies :p

Jaleel

Completed it in 36 hours.

Game is truly magical. They don't make gems like these anymore. A must pick up for any self proclaimed RPG fan.

Great work LEVEL-5. 10/10

I saw a youtube video on it, you cast the vanish spell and run from Perdida to the base of the valley, then cast the teleport spell back to Perdida. I usually get it on 2-3 traversals. My biggest problem is actually making out the sprite for the Tokotoko, the world map is pretty zoomed out in the game and I get them confused with the Claptrap enemies :p

bwuahaha. same. crt user here

Buttons

My playthrough is on hold for a bit until I finish my last exams next week but boy am I enjoying the game. I got so sidetracked trying to tame new monsters after getting the ship, and then I found Tokos on Ugly Duckling Island.... so my Oliver is like lv38 on Fairy Island.... just a teeny tiny ...ok major bit.. overlevelled haha.

But I am loving the game, it's everything I wanted in PS3 JRPGs, this was what I had expected and wished for when I bought my PS3 years ago. *__*

Also keep juggling my familiars. Mitey is staying for good, just too cute and awesome. Same with the Penguin who now reached his third evolution. Griffy gets used by Esther and Draggy by Swaine. Busy levelling up some other familiars now to see where they can be used. Spitoo is pretty fun to use as well.

31 hours in, going for the first
Magic stone for Mornstar.
How are you people beating the game so fast? Are you ignoring side quests and Treasure/Familiar hunting?

Dragon familiar DLC is out today, right?

Ricker

31 hours in, going for the first
Magic stone for Mornstar.
How are you people beating the game so fast? Are you ignoring side quests and Treasure/Familiar hunting?

Dragon familiar DLC is out today, right?

They probably are...I just did one of your spoiler and I am close to 40 hours...the Royal Jelly Boss made me grind and do other stuff though to level a bit and beat him...

Tex117

Banned

Im with you man, thats was my reservation too.

That said, I bought it anyway.

While it is "cutesy", I quickly looked passed that to just playing a good solid JRPG. The score is anything but cutsey so that helps. (Tokyo Philharmonic).

I'm on the last errand but the requirement seem extremely silly. I'm not sure I'll bother which is a shame as I'd have loved to have got that. Done all the post game quests. Love the little reward you get for killing
Guardian of the World
. Fun!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have a few questions.

I just got to the point where I can catch familiars. I have been trying to catch only one of each, but I'm wondering if there's any point in catching multiples?

Also, are there some familiars that are simply not good to use? I have NO idea what to look for or WHO to look for familiar wise, so I've just been using my default party for now.

Neverfade

Is my Bone Baron supposed o be this weak?
When he levels up, his stats only goes up by 1.

Baron is a late grower. As you get more levels his increases get progressively better.

I just got to the point where I can catch familiars. I have been trying to catch only one of each, but I'm wondering if there's any point in catching multiples?

Each familiar has two forms to choose from in their second metamorphosis. So if you need to catch all those, then sure.

Is my Bone Baron supposed o be this weak?
When he levels up, his stats only goes up by 1.

Finally got my to lvl 80 and his stats really don't go up by much until mid 70s :/ but since i got him this far i kinda want to see what his stats will look like at lvl 99

Mikey Jr.

I have a few questions.

Also, are there some familiars that are simply not good to use? I have NO idea what to look for or WHO to look for familiar wise, so I've just been using my default party for now.

If you are going to "catch them all", you will need 2 of each. Going from second form to third form splits the familiar, and you can only go down one evolution. Having 2 low evolution familiars allows to to get both 3rd forms.

Hope that explains.

that fuckin sucks :/

Yea for my Swaine I ended up using Neolith (monolith last form), and Phantasma (girlfiend last form) and bone baron to beat the game, trying to figure out who else would be good for Swaine post game now. I will note that the bone baron, once given this one sword from the final shop works pretty well

Acrylic7

Yea for my Swaine I ended up using Neolith (monolith last form), and Phantasma (girlfiend last form) and bone baron to beat the game, trying to figure out who else would be good for Swaine post game now. I will note that the bone baron, once given this one sword from the final shop works pretty well

I wasnt expecting Bone Baron to progress like this. Pretty much meesed up my teams.

After I morph a familiar I use the other guys to take its place while leveling back up to fighting conditions.

Swain still has a lv19-second form Dino, but Puss in Boats is still weak from morphing, and Oliver is using Naja because Mite is also still weak from morphing. And Esther has Electrongo. My Momo (thing from Avatar) is weak because I morphed him into the cute thing for his reviving ability since Toko's refuse to be caught.

Guess I will have to tough it out.
I should have trained my second Dino, but training him is way too much

My bone baron is kicking ass and he's plenty below mid 70s.

what level is he at?

Late blooming familiars don't surpass normal growth familiars until after level 80. Normal growth familiars don't surpass early risers until around level 50.

I wasnt expecting Bone Baron to progress like this. Pretty much meesed up my teams.

After I morph a familiar I use the other guys to take its place while leveling back up to fighting conditions.

Swain still has a lv19-second form Dino, but Puss in Boats is still weak from morphing, and Oliver is using Naja because Mite is also still weak from morphing. And Esther has Electrongo. My Momo (thing from Avatar) is weak because I morphed him into the cute thing for his reviving ability since Toko's refuse to be caught.

Guess I will have to tough it out.
I should have trained my second Dino, but training him is way too much

what level is he at?

I would say get a tank of some sort for either swaine or esther. If you have access to Tokos you can try to get a lumberwood at the island north of TeeHee or level up monolith. Both just as long as a dino to level tho.

My bone baron is kicking ass and he's plenty below mid 70s.

What's his stats look like?

Mine's lvl 82 now
ATK: 269
MA: 163
ACC: 203
DEF: 214
MDEF:173
EVA: 182
(bonus +12 MA stats via feeding)
That's with lvling him from lvl 1 of the first form and evolving him after he learned all possible moves.

Late blooming familiars don't surpass normal growth familiars until after level 80. Normal growth familiars don't surpass early risers until around level 50.
wow this would have been great to know before i beat the game haha

Draggle Familiar Ticket is up via Search!

draggle2.jpg

About time!

wow this would have been great to know before i beat the game haha

It doesn't really matter. The difference is only really noticeable really early (when stats are constantly in flux due to metamorphosis anyway) and at the end of the level curve, which is over 20 levels higher than you need to be to clear Rank S Solosseum, anyway.

Mikey Jr.

I beat the game and most of the post game sidequests. (seriously, if you want to know more about the world of Ni No Kuni, do the sidequests.)

Anyways, the stuff the talk about is perfect for a prequel game.

Top Bottom