• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

hswbaz

Neo Member
I have a few questions.

I just got to the point where I can catch familiars. I have been trying to catch only one of each, but I'm wondering if there's any point in catching multiples?

Also, are there some familiars that are simply not good to use? I have NO idea what to look for or WHO to look for familiar wise, so I've just been using my default party for now.

Sorry, I'm a bit late, but I have some more to add to your questions.

1. There is a 3rd evolution for familiars that splits, but a lot of 2nd and 3rd evolutions you can catch later. I would say, for now 1 of each is more than enough. If you get bored of trying for 1 of each as you go I wouldn't worry too much about it.

2. There are some familiars that are bad, but considering Mite is one of the worst (later on), I would just pick and try what you like as it's very easy to power level familiars later if you find some you really like. I would avoid using familiars with extremely high evasion/accuracy though as that tends to be their primary stat later on making them less useful. Also if familiars level extremely slow, they probably have a very low level cap (some max their stats at say level 8, but take a long time to get to level 8). Overall, you could beat the entire game with most any party (even with just your starting familiars) so I would experiment and find what works for you. Personally, for most of the game, I had 1 main familiar per teammate and 2 slots I would experiment with until I eventually found a balanced party I liked if that helps you at all.

Sidenote: Some familiars like the elephant or skeleton can be very powerful, but are Late bloomers so their stats don't really start getting useful until around level 80+ (you will notice this on familiars gaining 1 stat per level). Others like Mite are early bloomers so they gain most of their stats in the first 20-30 levels. Just something to keep in mind when you're looking to build yourself a team.

Is Draggle any good for
the winter islands?
I downloaded it this morning and I'm trying to power-level it so I can breeze through this next quest.

For anyone interested, today's Zero Punctuation is on this game, but it's a bit spoilerish. He echoes a lot of the complaints that are in this very thread.

I'm not even sure why they gave us AI companions.

They die within 10 seconds of a boss fight, there's really no use in having them around. :(

How early on are you in the game? Soon after you get your
third party member,
you get an
All Attack and All Defend
quick select option for battles, which helps a ton. Don't underestimate those options. You won't survive boss battles without using them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sorry, I'm a bit late, but I have some more to add to your questions.

1. There is a 3rd evolution for familiars that splits, but a lot of 2nd and 3rd evolutions you can catch later. I would say, for now 1 of each is more than enough. If you get bored of trying for 1 of each as you go I wouldn't worry too much about it.

2. There are some familiars that are bad, but considering Mite is one of the worst (later on), I would just pick and try what you like as it's very easy to power level familiars later if you find some you really like. I would avoid using familiars with extremely high evasion/accuracy though as that tends to be their primary stat later on making them less useful. Also if familiars level extremely slow, they probably have a very low level cap (some max their stats at say level 8, but take a long time to get to level 8). Overall, you could beat the entire game with most any party (even with just your starting familiars) so I would experiment and find what works for you. Personally, for most of the game, I had 1 main familiar per teammate and 2 slots I would experiment with until I eventually found a balanced party I liked if that helps you at all.

Sidenote: Some familiars like the elephant or skeleton can be very powerful, but are Late bloomers so their stats don't really start getting useful until around level 80+ (you will notice this on familiars gaining 1 stat per level). Others like Mite are early bloomers so they gain most of their stats in the first 20-30 levels. Just something to keep in mind when you're looking to build yourself a team.

Thanks - someone mentioned the "collect them all" situation that surrounds having multiple familiars of the same genus. That's no biggie - I'll likely catch them all if I find myself enjoying the game enough.

Regarding the second, that's good to know, thanks. I've been playing around with a few different familiars. Knowing that I can get by with nearly any party makes it easier to pick familiars that look cool, haha. I won't feel like I'm stuck using certain familiars simply because their stat lines are "best".

hswbaz

Neo Member
About 986,000 - But I can easily get more. It only took me half an hour to get 2mil. How many do I need?

You will need around 75,000 for the post-game unlocks. I would save some though for Jumbo drops and Crownberries (a few hundred thousand is plenty to buy you everything you'll need from here).

Thanks - someone mentioned the "collect them all" situation that surrounds having multiple familiars of the same genus. That's no biggie - I'll likely catch them all if I find myself enjoying the game enough.

Regarding the second, that's good to know, thanks. I've been playing around with a few different familiars. Knowing that I can get by with nearly any party makes it easier to pick familiars that look cool, haha. I won't feel like I'm stuck using certain familiars simply because their stat lines are "best".

Yea, I totally understand the "collect them all" feeling, but after so many zones I just wanted to move on and I did. I will say it does become easier to catch familiars later (not a lot easier, but somewhat easier). Mostly, I just wanted you to know you can totally move on if you get bored of it and feel burnt out from that.

Yea, my party was made up of mostly familiars I thought looked cool, or friends/family thought were cool. If you struggle a lot with your party, I can always give recommendations on equipment or an overpowered familiar or 2 that can almost solo the entire game (I would avoid this if possible, as the game becomes too easy even on Normal).

omg I just got the
ship
. No more handholding, hooray!

the game world is so beautiful. I wish the next Zelda will be this stylish. Seriously, ni no kuni outclasses Zelda in art style.

About to finish it, fantastic game. It's my first RPG and loved it, after I've had a pretty difficult start. Can someone recommend me more RPG's that are not too difficult ( I played this game on easy and I had quite a hard time sometimes ) ?

I own a 360, PS3, 3DS and Vita btw.

RangerBAD

About to finish it, fantastic game. It's my first RPG and loved it, after I've had a pretty difficult start. Can someone recommend me more RPG's that are not too difficult ( I played this game on easy and I had quite a hard time sometimes ) ?

All the ones I can think of would be challenging if you had trouble on Easy. I think most JRPGs are about medium difficulty outside of a few series. All the Tales of games have an easy setting though.

hswbaz

Neo Member

If easy gave you a hard time you may want to look into other RPGs with different difficulty settings like Persona 4 Golden (Vita) or Tales of Graces F (PS3).

P4G - Turn-based battles, heavy and lengthy story, a lot of social aspects, "gotta-catch-em-all" syndrome with the Personas.

ToGF - Real-time battles (Ni No Kuni borrowed from this battle system), lengthy game, story is alright, lots of side quests, very fun combat.

Edit: I forgot the Final Fantasy sale going on for PSN right now, $5 for Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8 or 9. All are solid turn-based choices, but remember the graphics are SNES/PS1 era. For your first Final Fantasy, 7/8/9 are all good options (although most people will probably say 9). You can play these on either PS3 or Vita.

2nd Edit: Pokemon games for your 3DS. I'm done now, really.

RangerBAD

If easy gave you a hard time you may want to look into other RPGs with different difficulty settings like Persona 4 Golden (Vita) or Tales of Graces F (PS3).

P4G - Turn-based battles, heavy and lengthy story, a lot of social aspects, "gotta-catch-em-all" syndrome with the Personas.

ToGF - Real-time battles (Ni No Kuni borrowed from this battle system), lengthy game, story is alright, lots of side quests, very fun combat.

Can't forget Vesperia since he has a 360. I love Tales of games, but I'm not sure they're the same experience as this game.

hswbaz

Neo Member
Can't forget Vesperia since he has a 360. I love Tales of games, but I'm not sure they're the same experience as this game.

Oh yea Vesperia is by far my favorite, but it doesn't have a difficulty setting like Graces F. That is the main reason I left it off, as it may be too difficult (Ex: that forest boss that was on the demo, still hard in the real game even if he was toned down from the demo).

After beating
all of the postgame errands / bounties, getting the Philmobile
was perhaps the most hilarious and unexpected thing that's ever happened to me in a video game.

Oni Jazar

Ugh.. fairly early on on the coast town...

I need to translate the Nazcaan phrase on the tools of wizardry page and I can't seem to translate it! Is the word tricky or am I just being dumb? I was able to translate "I smell" easily enough but that wasn't what they wanted :p

aravuus

Tales of games tend to be a whole different experience, people usually either love them or hate them. For extremely addictive combat and subsystems, I'd go for Graces F, for plot and especially characters, Vesperia.

Anyway, just got started with my Ni No Kuni.

How good are the Draggle and Golden Hurly free dlc familiars? I know I'm still far away from the temple of trials or whatever, but I'd like to know still.

When's the first time I can encounter tokos? I absolutely love grinding myself into a fighting god in JRPGs, and from what I gather, these guys seem to give a ton of exp. Earlier grinding spots help also appreciated.

Ugh.. fairly early on on the coast town...

I need to translate the Nazcaan phrase on the tools of wizardry page and I can't seem to translate it! Is the word tricky or am I just being dumb? I was able to translate "I smell" easily enough but that wasn't what they wanted :p

Look closely at
the wizards clothes in the picture.

RangerBAD

After beating
all of the postgame errands / bounties, getting the Philmobile
was perhaps the most hilarious and unexpected thing that's ever happened to me in a video game.

Loved the Philmobile. Wanted it much earlier on though. I want to see the baby the Laytonmobile and Philmobile make.

When's the first time I can encounter tokos? I absolutely love grinding myself into a fighting god in JRPGs, and from what I gather, these guys seem to give a ton of exp. Earlier grinding spots help also appreciated.

When you get the
boat

hswbaz

Neo Member
BTW does
Horace appear somewhere after Castaway Cove? I haven't seen him after that and I just completed mornstar.

You must have missed him in
Fairyground
. How you missed him there I don't know, don't you have to talk to him before
You can get the Levitate spell from the bird?

Animekatt

Ugh, I'm so close to this plat, but farming in this game sucks so much. I'm at 86% alchemy completion, and I really don't feel like farming for the rare stuffs...

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I'm so close to this plat, but farming in this game sucks so much. I'm at 86% alchemy completion, and I really don't feel like farming for the rare stuffs...

Yeah I'm really close to it too. Fortunately you don't have to do all the alchemy recipes so if you're really intent on getting the platinum don't bother with the hardest ones.

Yeah I'm really close to it too. Fortunately you don't have to do all the alchemy recipes so if you're really intent on getting the platinum don't bother with the hardest ones.

But you do have to repeatedly hit some foraging points for some of them don't you? What's the best way to make them respawn? I've tried quitting the game and restarting, sleeping at the inn, fighting some battles, and sometimes they don't respawn until I forget about them and come back hours later. Makes it really hard to collect the materials you need

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
But you do have to repeatedly hit some foraging points for some of them don't you? What's the best way to make them respawn? I've tried quitting the game and restarting, sleeping at the inn, fighting some battles, and sometimes they don't respawn until I forget about them and come back hours later. Makes it really hard to collect the materials you need

Time. Just go around and collect them and then do something else. I'm still working on the 250 familliars trophy so I'll make a sweep around to get what I need (or would as all the materials I need now are dropped/stollen) and then I'd grind a tokotokos until the sparkling points along the trail appeared and then I'd go around the wold again collecting what I needed.

All the ones I can think of would be challenging if you had trouble on Easy. I think most JRPGs are about medium difficulty outside of a few series. All the Tales of games have an easy setting though.

Edit: I forgot the Final Fantasy sale going on for PSN right now, $5 for Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8 or 9. All are solid turn-based choices, but remember the graphics are SNES/PS1 era. For your first Final Fantasy, 7/8/9 are all good options (although most people will probably say 9). You can play these on either PS3 or Vita.

2nd Edit: Pokemon games for your 3DS. I'm done now, really.

Oh yea Vesperia is by far my favorite, but it doesn't have a difficulty setting like Graces F. That is the main reason I left it off, as it may be too difficult (Ex: that forest boss that was on the demo, still hard in the real game even if he was toned down from the demo).

Thanks guys. I'll gonna read some reviews about the games you mentioned. I was wondering...is Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance okay for newcomers?

aravuus

Thanks guys. I'll gonna read some reviews about the games you mentioned. I was wondering...is Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance okay for newcomers?

Sure. If you're interested in the plot though, you gotta start with KH1. DDD won't make much sense if it's the first KH game you play. Gameplay-wise, it's nice.

Sanctuary

A bit OT, but after having finished this game almost three times, I couldn't help but think about how much I wanted to replay FFXII. I had only finished it once back in 2006, and I more than likely missed over half of the optional bosses. Anyway, the game looks absolutely stunning upscaled through the PCSX2; and while I know there were those who were vocal about how the gambit system made to combat "too boring" or "too hands off", it was still the perfect example of how to implement tactics if you're going to add those to your game.

Bioware tried doing it in Dragon Age and failed miserably at it, yet NNK is even worse. The system in FFXII seems like a pretty simple list of "If, then" checks, and they work. Why don't more developers go this route instead of trying to overcomplicate it to the point of not even working (Dragon Age) or too simplistic and general (NNK)? It wouldn't even need to be as "boring" as what's in FFXII either, but that game is still a masterwork in design by comparison to the AI in the other similar games. I personally still prefer turn-based combat, simply because you are on total control of what your party is doing. Some games can do real-time okay (Xenoblade), but if a developer insists on real-time where you only control one character at a time, then they better make sure the damn AI is up to snuff.

Top Bottom