• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Just finished
Peridia, got the Mornstar
, almost lvl 50.

Now where can I find the dino whatever familiars everyone's talking about? I saw one on the northern cliffs at the desert once, and when I finally gained access to that area, none in sight. Are they just so rare or am I just at the wrong location?

THat's the spot, its just kinda rare

Chulonyc

Banned
Haven t really paid attention to the diff. familiar species that much and have beat the game 54 hrs in, but now im going to hunt for the Dino familiar everyone is talking about. I want to see if i can get one.

Mind you i beat the game without even getting the 100 hp and 100 mp added after doing the side missions and gaining the ability.

madhtr

Where is the best place to get scrolls of truth? I have been stealing Kaleidostones from Bedraggles in Glittering Grotto, and Dragamuffins supposedly drop them rarely, but I have not seen one drop.

Paznos

Just got the Platinum Trophy!! 96:48! I thought the Alchemy trophy would be the hardest but the familiar one ended up taking longer.

kubus

Finally beat the game and now busy with postgame stuff. I think I got lucky with the kaleidostones and scrolls of truth because I was done with them in 2 hours. Still, I'm kinda disappointed with all of it because, like someone said a few pages ago, it feels really 'padded'. Not sure if I want to go for 100%. Completing Alchemy and Familiars sounds like a drag.

Anyone know of a place that still sells the hardcover strategy guide btw? It's going for insane prices already online and I can't find a store that still has it. Should've preordered it when I had the chance :(

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I thought that was fun:
eUEenKB.png

RangerBAD

I thought that was fun:

Funny but sad. I'm not ashamed of owning such a wonderful game.

Just got the Platinum Trophy!! 96:48! I thought the Alchemy trophy would be the hardest but the familiar one ended up taking longer.

Definitely the more time consuming part. I was farming kalediostones before I realized I didn't have to get ones for all the recipes that required it. So I had 106 hours. lol

Labadal

Finally had time to play the demo. Died in the forest. Completed the volcano boss on my first try. I had no idea what I was doing in the first battle. It's a terrible demo in that regard. I can see how it can turn people off. In the volcano, I started to try pressing all the buttons, just so I could find out what they did. I had a fairly good grasp on battles in time for the actual boss fight. I'll have to pick this up soon.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Where is the best place to get scrolls of truth? I have been stealing Kaleidostones from Bedraggles in Glittering Grotto, and Dragamuffins supposedly drop them rarely, but I have not seen one drop.

Gold Honkey-Tonkers in the dark cave along Tombstone Trail is what you should be hunting. You can steal or get them to drop there.

madhtr

Gold Honkey-Tonkers in the dark cave along Tombstone Trail is what you should be hunting. You can steal or get them to drop there.

Do they drop them more often than Dragamuffins? I have none so far. Oh well, will head there. Will at least have some luck with stealing, I'm sure. Thanks.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Do they drop them more often than Dragamuffins? I have none so far. Oh well, will head there. Will at least have some luck with stealing, I'm sure. Thanks.

I don't know if they drop scrolls more regularly but the ability to steal them gives you two chances per battle. I got the five I needed in about an hour...Though if you're going for the platinum trophy I'd suggest getting ten and making Swaine's final gun.

kubus

I think the steal chance is like 1/5, and they rarely spawn. The best way to get scrolls is to use Swain's golden glim trick, Light Fingers. It always gives you the scroll. Set your party to "Do nothing" and equip Oliver with his weakest wand. When you get into a fight with a HonkeyTonker, keep using Oliver's Pulse spell and keep defending the enemy's attacks. This will give you a lot of "Nice!"s, increasing your chances of making a gold glim appear. When you're lucky and a golden glim appears, switch to Swain and use his special move. Sometimes a gold glim refuses to spawn, so if this happens and the HonkeyTonker is nearly down to 0HP, just use Swain's normal mugshot and hope for the best.

Using this trick, I got 5 scrolls within 30 minutes today :D. Also, look up its spawn place in a youtube video. He spawns most frequently in a specific place, but I can't really find a way to describe it. I just went back and forth between two spawn points, scaring the monster away if it wasn't a HonkeyTonker.

Hope this helps!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
DO NOT use the golden glim trick. While good in theory, it's a complete waste of time. In the time it took me to get a gold glim to appear I could have farmed all the scrolls needed by just stealing and hoping for the best.

So I just completed the
Temple of Trials
and I'm a little lost. What early familiars should I be working on? Still using the default familiars and I'm pretty sure they're not gonna cut if if fighting the next available bounty is any indication.

khaaan

I think that's the same spot that Demon's Souls came in during its first month. It was also a game that sold almost entirely on word of mouth. Hopefully it'll end up selling enough for Level 5 or NAMCO to greenlight the sequel. Which i'm guessing will take place during the
Wizard Wars
based on Hino's comments about a possible sequel.

How do you do that? I'm just about to leave castaway cove so maybe partner tactics hasn't been introduced yet, if it has I probably skipped it.

If you've gone through the tutorial it should be on the left side of the screen, I don't think you've gotten to it yet (its after getting your 3rd member I think)

RoKKeR

Very noob question from somebody who doesn't have the game yet:

Are you able to play this game with Japanese dialogue if you buy the SCEA version? I've taken Japanese for years and would love to play this game in Japanese while retaining some English elements. I highly doubt it but would love it if you could.

Very noob question from somebody who doesn't have the game yet:

Are you able to play this game with Japanese dialogue if you buy the SCEA version? I've taken Japanese for years and would love to play this game in Japanese while retaining some English elements. I highly doubt it but would love it if you could.

The game lets you choose between Japanese and English audio.

RoKKeR

The game lets you choose between Japanese and English audio.
Holy fuck, that's awesome! I didn't expect that to be a feature.

Now I just need to get my PS3 back from Sony and I'm in. Really looking forward to experiencing this game. As a primarily western gamer, my interest has been piqued by the game because of its stunning visuals and character. It really does look like you are playing an anime.

DarkPanda

He added that Ni No Kuni “was just outside of the top ten game ranking at eleventh” but would have ranked at #7 if sales of individual games weren’t combined into groups by platform.

That is awesome. This game deserves all the success it can get. While I don't think it'll charts in Feb, I hope that it will warrant a second (and third!) printing and convince Level 5 that there's still a market in the west for JRPGs.

Boulayman

Actually, there are a few spells that I 'learnt' but haven't found in my all spells list ? Sup with that ? I have been looking all over the place for quake haha.

Also, this might be the first game I try to platinum. I am about 40 hours in, taking my time, doing all the subquests and bounty hunts that are available and I am only at hamelin for the
Clarion
now. How much time/effort is needed to platinum this ? I had a look at the trophies I got so far and I am only at 16 % which sorta freaks me out ?

Oh and while I am at it, there are two side quests that I am having a very hard time doing. One I think I'll eventually get it ( blnding the bats in fairyground) but the second one is actually a very early one I have been dragging for a lonnng time. You are supposed to show familars to some dude in mamoon. But that damn babana crap thing. I must have beaten three dozens of them by now and still haven't been able to capture one. I even got that ' make familiar more friendly' upgrade from the merit badges to no avail. I can now beat them in pretty much one hit so wth am I doing wrong ?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I had a spare hour on Thursday night so I decided to check out the locals to see whether the game was in stock. No retailer had it. PAL lands and all, but I was shocked. Guess I have to order it online.

madhtr

Actually, there are a few spells that I 'learnt' but haven't found in my all spells list ? Sup with that ? I have been looking all over the place for quake haha.

There are a very large number of spells never used in-game, some because there's really no use, others because they're forbidden, and yet others for who knows why. Just how it goes.

Also, I wonder how the sales for this game would have been had the game been more readily available, considering PSN downloads don't count in NPD, also all the Namco store sales, I guess.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

I noticed the thing about the spells too. Like I was sure I got a spell but then it wasn't in my spell list until later. That's not even mentioning all the spells that you use only once. I don't even understand why they'd do that. I would have also liked the ability to hokey some spells so I didn't constantly have to go through that list.

As far as getting the platinum goes it took me about 110 hours but I really took my time. Most people seem to be getting it between the 80 and 90 hour marks.

Oh and with Derwin's quests...His quests suck but the upside is that it forces you to get some of the harder to tame familiars which help in the "Tame 250 unique familiars" trophy which was the most time-consuming trophy for me.

Mattiator

Finished my first play through tonight, absolutly loved it! This and persona 4 golden both played in the last month and they have made me love jrpgs once again!

Sold out everywhere here in The Netherlands.......

Cool. I actually bought it online, so never noticed, but I bet a lot of people just don't have the 40GB or so free you'd need to be able to download and install the game digitally (never mind that surprisingly many people still on't use the Store at all).

This is a really kid friendly game. I am playing this with my 4yo son and he loves it, and I can actually leave pretty big parts of gameplay to him, haven't even switched to Easy as I initially expected to do.

It is a shame there's no Dutch voices though, that would have made this game an 10/10 for us.

Nyx

Cool. I actually bought it online, so never noticed, but I bet a lot of people just don't have the 40GB or so free you'd need to be able to download and install the game digitally (never mind that surprisingly many people still on't use the Store at all).

This is a really kid friendly game. I am playing this with my 4yo son and he loves it, and I can actually leave pretty big parts of gameplay to him, haven't even switched to Easy as I initially expected to do.

It is a shame there's no Dutch voices though, that would have made this game an 10/10 for us.

I need to get it from Gamemania as I can trade in 2 old games and get Ni No for 35 euros.

Already reserved a copy now, hopefully I get a text-message soon.

Top Bottom