• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

51 hours, beat the game. Had everything but the post game stuff done. Loved it, so very very tempted to Platinum it but it seems daunting to get all Familiars.

ENDING SPOILERS
When you beat the Zodiarch and get the "Ashes of Resurrection" spell, I actually thought Oliver would get his Mum back. It has a very Ghibli ending, is all I can say.

I'm sad it's over now. Which is a sign of a great game.

oh he's one of those special monsters, I read how you get him.
thanks.

btw I'm before the final dungeon and only those fucking annoying Derwin quests remain but the report says just 80% task completion, do I get that 20% in the post-game? How many? Also is that the same for the bounties?

There are errands and bounties that only appear in post-game.

Just finished the game... 38 hours.

Like I said before I start the game... as someone who has lost both of his parents in the past few months... I was very interested in the game and how it was going to make me feels.

Well.....

I really connected to Oliver and wanted so much for him to be reunited with his mom as I myself was very very close to mine..... it just broke my heart when the truth revealed and there was just no way for him to save his mom, I felt extremely upset... and when he had that dream about her I just couldn't hold my tears any longer :(

in the end... when he said that he will go on with his life and he knows that his mom will always watch over him, that line gave me a nice warm but also sad feelings inside my chest.
.... I really needed to play Ni no Kuni, and I'm so grateful I did.

Now what I think of the game:

+ Amaaaazing Art direction and graphics
+ Beautiful Soundtracks
+ Surprisingly fun battle system! ( I was planning to pass over the game because of the battle system, thank god I didn't )
+ Mr.Drippy

- The script were extremely weak and childish and should have been presented A LOT BETTER...
- The A.I AND the defend system sometimes will make things MUCH worse for you in battles
- The lack of the voice acting in A LOT of important and emotional story events.

Overall... Ni no Kuni is a nice fresh of air that the JRPG needed for many years, if they ever wanted to make another one.... please, make it with a mature theme this time & script that can grab the player interest the whole time from start to finish.

Einbroch

Banned
So, does Esther ever get, like, not stupid? She is constantly blowing all her MP on weak enemies then leaving nothing to heal herself.

Sorian

Banned
it was quite boring until I got the
ship
but now the game is rocking!

Honestly, the best advice anyone could have given me: rush through this next portion of the game. Just knock out the main story until you get the next mode of travel then you'll be happy.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
? I got like 20 in 15 battles, I was trying to get a sunshine or whatever is called for a (old) quest.
wat

I literally fought nothing but sunshines and small frys for more than an hour now and nothing. I read up on them and a bunch of people seem to have problems with emberstones.
Tough luck I guess.

Necrovex

Edgeward

21 hours and starting to make my way through Hamlin. Just finishing sidequests in the city before continuing the story. My Tigogre is finally coming around to being a good familiar to use and so is the Purrlioner. Draggy is soooo as fuck to level and hasn't gotten good yet in the second form but the stats per level is pretty great so hopefully soon.

Draper

Alright guys. Need some help. I'm in Hamelin and getting my ass kicked by the robot pig thing. I'm still using my same old mite which isnt working any longer. Can anyone suggest any familiars to capture to help me press forward?

Alright guys. Need some help. I'm in Hamelin and getting my ass kicked by the robot pig thing. I'm still using my same old mite which isnt working any longer. Can anyone suggest any familiars to capture to help me press forward?

You mean, other than Dinoceros? Because that thing will solve all of your problems, guaranteed.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

What teams you using?

I had a bit of trouble with the tank but I somehow managed with just one death (Oliver).

I was going with:

Oliver: Mite, the cat, and draggle
Esther: Grongo, Banana thing, whambat
Swaine: dumblemuur, hurly burly and skeleton dude

If you can if you have any of them that have thunder spells use those.

madhtr

You mean, other than Dinoceros? Because that thing will solve all of your problems, guaranteed.

You can't get him at that point of the game, though. Really, you just gotta find some familiars with storm-type attacks, as that is what he is weak to. Outside of that, leveling up a little might be warranted.

Draper

What teams you using?

I had a bit of trouble with the tank but I somehow managed with just one death (Oliver).

I was going with:

Oliver: Mite, the cat, and draggle
Esther: Grongo, Banana thing, whambat
Swaine: dumblemuur, hurly burly and skeleton dude

If you can if you have any of them that have thunder spells use those.

I'm mainly just using Mitey, Gogo, and Gunther while also switching to cloudy off and on the the electrical attack.

JRPGs should really reconsider always having that long victory celebration screen at the end of each battle. It's just time consuming and repetitive at some point. I suppose they're always in there as 'tradition', but i think it's holding them back from making better JRPGs.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I'm basically at the end...

And suddenly, ZOMBIES!! XD It's really jarring, as the DS game ends with the defeat of Shadar (Jabo) so this game feels like it's got a weird sort of epilogue just stapled onto the end like. Weird.

Boulayman

The final fight is total bullshit -.-

Edit:
Ah.. no wonder... The extra stuff really feels tacked on and lacks the depth of the rest and omg that final fight -.-

Boulayman

I completely agree. Chaos is cheap as hell.

I bailed out and decided to do some sidequests to get that last merit stamp upgrade.

If you bailout can you teleport back right in front of that damn door later ? I need to go stock up on phoenix feathers..

So I'm basically at the end...

And suddenly, ZOMBIES!! XD It's really jarring, as the DS game ends with the defeat of Shadar (Jabo) so this game feels like it's got a weird sort of epilogue just stapled onto the end like. Weird.

I've never played the DS version, but the PS3 game seems like it would feel very incomplete if it ended after the Shadar fight due to the White Witch still hanging around.

madhtr

I've never played the DS version, but the PS3 game seems like it would feel very incomplete if it ended after the Shadar fight due to the White Witch still hanging around.

I don't think the White Witch existed in the DS version, but maybe I'm wrong.

RurouniZel

That's because she was added into the PS3 version. She's not present at all in the original DS game.

Owzers

I died to the last last boss :p And....am now looking at the ending on youtube. Fun game overall despite a lotttttttttttt of flaws.

Easy mode. Lvl 55ish for my lead characters and at least one familiar each. Decent weapons from bounty quests but never got to the 3rd row for merit card prizes so i missed out on the good one. Grinded a bit still, but didn't try to look up what the best monsters were to get, though the cat was my favorite one from early on.

I'd end up giving this a 7ish on charm, but combat felt cumbersome and the ally ai really hurt things.

I always feel a little defeated when i resort to youtube endings, yet i wouldn't enjoy going through the end boss again.

Boulayman

I am guessing pea doesn't even exist in the ds version ?

Anyway wish me luck, I bailed out did the leftovers bounty hunts, unlocked that last merit badge thingie, bought 15 phoenix wrights (lol I meant feathers but I'm just gonna leave it as it is haha), MY BODY IS READY

RurouniZel

So what about all the scenes that we see where Shadar talking to the witch's council? What are those replaced with?

All of that stuff was added for the PS3 game. The council, the witch, Pea, the fucking parrot. None of them were in the DS game.

madhtr

I imagine all the scenes with
Pea
, the
White Witch
and the
Council of 12
were all added in for the PS3 version. The scenes with
Shaddar speaking with them
likely weren't replaced with anything, just the game kept on and cutscenes weren't there. END-GAME SPOILER -
Hell, the Council and the parrot didn't even exist in the PS3 version, either... if you want to get technical. And Pea was just a part of the White Witch.

Top Bottom