• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

george_us

8 hours in now and the shine is starting to wear off already. I still dig the characters but combat feels really simplistic and the side quests have mostly sucked so far.

The overworld rocks though. Every JRPG with an overworld should look to what Ni No Kuni did.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Talking about the DS version has gotten me all nostalgic about it. I remember when I bought it during my 2011 trip to Japan... I was so excited when I unboxed it, man it was a great package. I think I still have the photos.... yep, here they are.

IMG_3037.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg
IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg
IMG_3045.jpg

You can't get him at that point of the game, though. Really, you just gotta find some familiars with storm-type attacks, as that is what he is weak to. Outside of that, leveling up a little might be warranted.

LOL, I completely forgot about that... I can't strategize for crap in this game ever since I got one. All strategy goes out the window and it's just Earsplitter 24/7.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I completely agree. Chaos is cheap as hell.

I bailed out and decided to do some sidequests to get that last merit stamp upgrade.

Getting it spammed with it three times in a row without the chance to heal in between is great game design.

Anyone got any tips for
Rank S of the Solosseum Series
? Maybe a certain level to be.

I ended up doing it post-game and breezed through it. It might be best to come back later.

Boulayman

Getting it spammed with it three times in a row without the chance to heal in between is great game design.

I ended up doing it post-game and breezed through it. It might be best to come back later.
I just ended up beating him. I must have had more than two dozen chaos spammed at me. Ridiculous. I used more than 10 phoenix feathers during that fight, and that's without counting what adult pea was resurrecting on top of that. I spent most of my time reviving people after he hit a 1/4 of his life. He kept spamming them like crazy. Thank god I had that last merit badge with the extra 100 mp and hp for oliver. I wouldn't have made it without it.Terrible game design for that boss.

Boulayman

Talking about the DS version has gotten me all nostalgic about it. I remember when I bought it during my 2011 trip to Japan... I was so excited when I unboxed it, man it was a great package. I think I still have the photos.... yep, here they are.

That's a gorgeous packaging.

Another thing I now realize that adds credence to all that epilogue stuff being tacked on later. There is no animated cartoon featuring pea or the white witch.. .Quite odd for a game named after her eh ? Well in general, there was a huge deficit of ghibli stuff in this. disappointing. But well I liteally just beat the final boss so I'll go back sit down in front of the tv to watch the end credits now I guess.

oni_saru

Spent almost all day playing today. I'm trying to finish it before Rising comes in.

Stopping tonight at the Marshes. I probably would be done if I stopped trying to do most of the available quests. :'D Darn my gaming OCD.

Oh the Derwin quests are the most annoying ones. After the Yule quest, eff that noise. I'll wait to finish those quests post-game.

Gave up on pig fucker for the night. I'll try it again tomorrow. Fucking Esther almost dies immediately every time.
What level are you and your party? This is the easiest set-up I can think of if you didn't do any extra grinding for levels and familiars:
Make sure everyone's at full health/mana before you go into battle.
Switch Drongo (the blue duck familiar you get with Esther) to Oliver and make sure you equip the Thunderspark trick, give Sid (the seed spirite you get in the early forest dungeon) to Esther and equip Healing Tear, give Thumbelemur to Swaine.
Set your tactics to Esther>Keep us healthy, Swaine>Provide Back-up, attack leader's target.
Just control Oliver/Drongo for the entire battle, spam Thunderspark, when you see the boss preparing to use a trick, press square for all out defense, use Evade, time it well and it will save your life. Switch back to Oliver and heal Esther when she's dying, drink Coffee when your mana is running low. If all else fails, run in circles and let the boss chases you, let your teammates do the work and slowly chop down his health 1HP at a time.

Nyx

Picked it up on Saturday and oh boy what a great game this is.

Got up to
the genie battle
and really loving everything so far.

The graphics are top notch as is the soundtrack, the story is just like it was in cartoons I watched as a kid, and the battle-system took a bit of practice as I'm used to proper turn-based battles in JRPGs, but I got the hang of it and it's good fun.

First JRPG since FF7 that got me hooked.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Alright guys. Need some help. I'm in Hamelin and getting my ass kicked by the robot pig thing. I'm still using my same old mite which isnt working any longer. Can anyone suggest any familiars to capture to help me press forward?

I got a Tin Man with Short Circus ability at that time so I just kept spamming the boss with that. Others just kept up the attack while the boss chase after me once in a while.

I saw a easy way to get the most difficult items (scroll of truth), that is:

- Get a medal of inmunity by alchemy to prevent status change.
- Put the AI as "do nothing".
- Look for the enemies, using veil.
- In the combat, select Swaine, use "defend all", wait unit after a few defends, for a golden orb.
- Use the orb with Swaine, that will steal the rarest object.

I saw a easy way to get the most difficult items (scroll of truth), that is:

- Get a medal of inmunity by alchemy to prevent status change.
- Put the AI as "do nothing".
- Look for the enemies, using veil.
- In the combat, select Swaine, use "defend all", wait unit after a few defends, for a golden orb.
- Use the orb with Swaine, that will steal the rarest object.

Good tip, will use this when I have to go farm!

Beat the
Guardian of Worlds

What an easy battle compared to what you're up against before it. Took three tries and over 45 minutes to beat that one.
Guardian of Worlds
took one try and maybe ten minutes. Crazy.

I was barely able to get passed
Horace
at lvl
. The
golden starters
wiped the floor with me. Remember what level you were that allowed you to breeze through it?

Is Dinoceros a good familiar? It seems like I see him mentioned a lot. I caught him early and now he's just a lvl 1 chilling in my backup cage. Should I level him up?

Ishmae1

Finally finished this.

Frankly, I'm really disappointed. The further you go in the game and the more desire you have to play the game well, the more its flaws show. The pathfinding and logic on your summoned monsters is horrible, the timing / counter system goes contrary to how you'd normally play the game, the logic behind friendly buffs freezing all attacks and movement (yet continuing the timers and enemy movement) sucks, and even the lack of showing a weapon that I've equipped on my guys just makes this game feel rushed in several areas.

I loved DQ VIII, liked IX, and have bought every L5 game that's come stateside on any device, and wow this one feels like a B-team effort, sad to say.

I wish Ghibli's wonderful art had been put on top of a better game.

Tc91

Ok so I'm up to
Hamelin
and I just got my arse handed to me by the boss. Any places recommended to level up? I'm at level 26 but my familiar with Thunderspark is far behind.

I checked out that
Ugly Duck Island??
and I can't kill the enemies there at the moment so I guess
Toko's
are out of the question. :/

delleps

Neo Member
So I picked up this game recently, really enjoyed it up until the
genie battle.

I don't imagine it gets much better in terms of encounter design, so I've really been dragging my feet with getting back into the game.

Edgeward

If I wasn't going after sidequests like a mad man, I would've had more trouble with the tank boss. Had no real good spells for him so I had to brute force my way ipto victory. Only lost Oliver near the end but thankfully the dead still get xp

Raw64life

Just beat the
Guardian of Worlds
and calling it a game (I'm assuming nothing happens if you beat the game again afterwards). Was at level 91 after 57 hours. Completed everything except the creature compendium and alchemy. Was tempted to fill out the compendium but I think I'm going to pass. The alchemy I do not care for and never had any intention of trying to complete it (I was at 4%). Obviously it's early but it's a favorite for my GOTY. If this would have came out last year it would have been my GOTY. Somebody please make more games like this.

one_kill

Is Dinoceros a good familiar? It seems like I see him mentioned a lot. I caught him early and now he's just a lvl 1 chilling in my backup cage. Should I level him up?
Its attack stats are very impressive; the highest in the game I think. The way you use Dinoceros and its evolutions is to send it out first and use a wide area physical damaging move like earsplitter.

There's no point in making it attack normally though because its movement and attack speeds are slow. A good way to counter this is by having a fast familiar like Naja.

Jucksalbe

Banned
That must have been the stupidest combination of spoiler tag and reaction I've seen in a while. I don't even have to read those spoilers to know what they say, thanks again.

khaaan

Just finished up my first (and possibly only) story related encounter with the (post castaway, pre hamelin)
fairy grounds
. Rrreaaaaaal subtle imagery there Level-5 =P.

At first I thought it was kind of funny but didn't read too much into it, but when describing the situation to a friend, he summarized it as:

You need to go inside the fairy mother but her "mouth" doesn't just open to anyone. You have to do what the likes to get her to open it up for you. Once she opens up, you have a "cannon" fire tiny people into her "mouth" who proceed to find eggs and cause them to be birthed.

In hindsight it's all kinda obvious but it completely flew over my head when I played through the section.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
That must have been the stupidest combination of spoiler tag and reaction I've seen in a while. I don't even have to read those spoilers to know what they say, thanks again.

LOL, if you didn't know about the game you wouldn't stop lying.

Edgeward

Just under 27 hours and cleared Hamlin. Fast travel get! The game seems to open up now as quests are appearing all over the place. And I started unlocking some 3rd forms - Puss in Boats, Dynamite, Elegantiger, and Esther's familiar as well. So far so good. I'm pretty well leveled as I don't need to think so much in normal battles and just spend most of them as Swaine trying to steal and get more ingredients

I finally got the travel spell after slogging through around 5 hours and it has improved the game immensely. I understand the linearity for the first 5 or so hours, but the next 20 hours would have been much better if you even had a more limited form of fast travel.

Boulayman

In the very beginning of the game.

Who was it that rigs the car through magic ? Shadar or the bird ? I was thinking about it and if it's shadar then it doesn't make much sense ?

Boulayman

The White Witch does it, actually

Yah, so the bird does it but the bird doesn't really exist so the white witch does it. Am I right ? That also explains why Pea feels guilty then

Edit:

But wait a minute, since there is no white witch in the DS version who does it in the DS version ?

I gave him some armor and holy shit unless it's a trick or magic spell he only gets damaged 5hp at most.

LOL, same. I think the most I ever saw taken off of him at once was 35, and that was while fighting the final boss.

Granted, my main characters were around level 85 at that point, but still.

Boulayman

LOL, same. I think the most I ever saw taken off of him at once was 35, and that was while fighting the final boss.

Granted, my main characters were around level 85 at that point, but still.

Lolz, some of my character were losing 200 per shot in that fight but yah I was around level 50 sth by then.

Koomaster

I finally got the travel spell after slogging through around 5 hours and it has improved the game immensely. I understand the linearity for the first 5 or so hours, but the next 20 hours would have been much better if you even had a more limited form of fast travel.
Fast travel in rpgs is funny because it wrecks the hotel economy. Hotels keep getting more expensive as you progress, but, you can basically just teleport back to the first hotel and sleep for like 10 gold instead of 500.

I personally teleported back to Deep Dark Wood since there was one of those monument stones right at the entrance. Free refills of HP/MP and save my game. Then spend 1MP to teleport back to where I was. Very good deal. :p

Only stayed in each hotel in the game one time a piece.

madhtr

Yah, so the bird does it but the bird doesn't really exist so the white witch does it. Am I right ? That also explains why Pea feels guilty then

Edit:

But wait a minute, since there is no white witch in the DS version who does it in the DS version ?

I'm not really sure how the DS story went, to be honest. Maybe it wasn't even shown?
Maybe the wheel broke and no reason was given?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Edit:

In the DS version
it's nothing more than a tragic accident.

Top Bottom