• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Tunic

Some people prefer a challenge. I find the game exponentially more fun when I'm so over-leveled that I can just bulldoze through anything. If you're in the same boat, catch a Dinoceros as soon as you can.

I agree with Dinoceros. I am completely smashing through everything right now. Earsplitter and then I send in Puss in Boats in to mop up.

Audioboxer

Doing that alchemy post game quest, grrrrr!

I read a tip to setup the party not to attack and constantly defend in hope of getting a gold glim, and then using swaine's limit break (or whatever it's called) for a 100% chance at stealing the enemies rarest item.

Problem is I spent over 40 minutes trying to get a gold glim to appear so simply resumed normal farming and stealing...

Dany

Banned
I'm going to switch my familars. I have mite, a bug type w/ high defens thats useless otherwise and this DLC dragon is crap. I need to find a better bird and bug genus.

Balphon

Something is seriously wrong with the Glim Reaper trophy.

Oliver is lvl 99, I finished the game several hours ago, completed S rank in the coliseum etc, couldnt even tell you how many hours ago I fought my 1000th battle.

And in all that time you mean to tell me I haven't picked up 2000 glims?

It counts only the ones picked up by the character you're controlling.

madhtr

Audίoboxer;48125695 said:
Doing that alchemy post game quest, grrrrr!

I read a tip to setup the party not to attack and constantly defend in hope of getting a gold glim, and then using swaine's limit break (or whatever it's called) for a 100% chance at stealing the enemies rarest item.

Problem is I spent over 40 minutes trying to get a gold glim to appear so simply resumed normal farming and stealing...

Don't do that... can be a waste of time. Just steal regularly. I had 9 kaleidostones in less than an hour, and 5 scrolls of truth in about 30 minutes.

Skidd

Platoon girl and blackjack girl are oddly endearing. Is it their outfits or their shit talk that warms my heart so?
The hair and the outfit combined with the animations can get very mesmerizing. I could play Black Jack for hours. Her face when you win a hand is a reward enough.

Right before the al khemi fight my screen goes white and I can't play beyond that point. If i skip the cut scene my screen goes black and i can't play beyond that. WTF?

this seems to be a game breaking bug? game never froze before this battle.

tried re-installing to no avail same place still freezes. used a different account same freeze.

anything else I can do?

Tizoc

Some people prefer a challenge. I find the game exponentially more fun when I'm so over-leveled that I can just bulldoze through anything. If you're in the same boat, catch a Dinoceros as soon as you can.

Where and how can I catch a Dinoceros? I'm on my way to the 2nd town/city so I'm fairly early in the game =3

Where and how can I catch a Dinoceros? I'm on my way to the 2nd town/city so I'm fairly early in the game =3

They're a relatively rare spawn on top of the rocky plateaus just north of Al-Mamoon, which is where you are. The catch, without spoiling anything, is that you can't actually reach them until later in the game when you acquire "a means" of flight.

Rootbeer

Banned
Spent all weekend playing. Fighting last boss, died on the final form >.< Don't have it in me to retry right now. Guess I'm done for the day :p Most of the boss battles haven't been that challenging but there's a few here and there where you have to plan very well.

The grind spot near the last boss, are there any comparable spots in post-game? Cause I'm leveling a minimum of 2 or 3 times (was around 5 levels per battle at first) each time I encounter the rare enemy. It's pretty sweet.

mh, how am I supposed to farm the Tokocold or w/e are called in the last dungeon?
I saw a video and this faggot got 3 of them in 6 mins, I didn't get a single one in 30 mins. do they even fucking spawn.
I encountered 2 directly next to one-another... could not believe my luck. Going more than 10 or 15 mins without seeing one is frustrating but it's still worth it.

Tizoc

They're a relatively rare spawn on top of the rocky plateaus just north of Al-Mamoon, which is where you are. The catch, without spoiling anything, is that you can't actually reach them until later in the game when you acquire "a means" of flight.

I am aware of that 'means' from a trailer video and tbh I am oddly excited to get it, it's like getting the airship for the first time in FF7 to me for some odd reason lol.

Usobuko

Banned
This game demonstrates a very clear distinction between Studio Ghibli and Level-5 when it comes to animation of a character's mannerism. Level-5 tries too hard to replicate the child-like essence of the game and it was also repetitive. There were too many instances when you have Oliver/Esther clenching fist along their waistline, leaning their heads forward to display their motivation in helping others. Repetition of such actions felt mundane and unnatural. It was either solely lacking in creativity or an attempt to save expenses. By contrast, Ghibli's animation scenes in this game has far more variety of movements and gestures, it was refreshing and reeks of playfulness.

I understand the story was written by Level-5. Some dialogues, especially the ones near the end, could be better executed. I dislike the mini flashback of Shadar and White Witch. Reusing 'despair' as the same cause for the final antagonist(s) reduce the impact of the concept. They were also poor in providing background and trying to weave Pea's story at the end. It feels abrupt that it's simply a lack of time for them to end it in a more satisfactory manner. The game was rather tedious to play through. You can only feed treats one at a time. The whole process of Give/Take Heart lost it's novelty by the umpteen times you have to do it on the side quests. It was slow and takes way too long for something so trivial.

Nonetheless, I don't dislike this game. I like it a little less than Chrono Trigger, a game which I felt was fortunate to be in an 32-bit era. I don't really hold Studio Ghibli in a very high regard compare to most people and admittedly prefers Isao Takahata's approach when it comes to story-telling. Only Yesterday is my favourite movie from Ghibli, it was also one of the best contemporary film I'd seen. I read somewhere that Miyazaki doesn't write screenplays due to deadlines, he directly draws his storyboards &#8211; he doesn't plan out his storytelling at all. Perhaps, that's why I never felt his stories was crafted with much focus and finesse.

Acrylic7

So are the secret bosses automatically reset in the same spot as their original forms.
Or do I have to do something first?

Usobuko

Banned
So are the secret bosses automatically reset in the same spot as their original forms.
Or do I have to do something first?

If you beat the game, you need to complete the gentleman's diary quest first before accessing a secret area. Inside that area, you will receive bounty hunts from a NPC for these secret bosses and yes they are in the same spot as the originals.

Megatron

I've just got the
dragon
and was wondering what to do next? I'm around level 38 and played for 25+ hours.

I've not played Xenoblade, but this by far is my favourite console RPG this generation.

The first thing you should do is go get Dinocerous. Level 38 is pretty high for where you are, so I'm guessing you were grinding with Tonkos on Ugly Duckling Island? You can now get to the toko tokos in Billy Goat Bluffs, but most people say you should wait until you get the veil spell before trying this, which you can get as early as Perdida provided you've been keeping up with Horace...

Completed game and post game and have King of the World trophy. Stuck on one of Derwins stupid quests and can't see me bothering with the alchemy and 250 familiars quest though.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
It counts only the ones picked up by the character you're controlling.

I keep reading this but there have to be other catches, like not only does it have to be just you but maybe the blue ones dont count or maybe the ones that have a value of 0 dont count etc etc.

I mean I'm getting at least two of these every single battle, theres absolutely no way I haven't collected 2000 by now.

madhtr

I keep reading this but there have to be other catches, like not only does it have to be just you but maybe the blue ones dont count or maybe the ones that have a value of 0 dont count etc etc.

I mean I'm getting at least two of these every single battle, theres absolutely no way I haven't collected 2000 by now.

I got the trophy around 67 hour mark, when I nearly had maxed everyone's levels... It takes a long time.

How long would it take to platinum this? I've never platinumed a game before and this one seems pretty doable. I just need to start stealing items with Swaine and doing more alchemy.

Audioboxer

Finally did the alchemy quest needing 5 scrolls and 5 stones.

I noticed more recipes need those items :'( How do you get the alchemy trophy, do you need to do 1 of all recipes? Farming more of those two things will drive me nuts!!!

DF4rpAN.png

khaaan

I'm still taking my sweet time with this game, just got to Hamelin and did a few things but I have a question.

I sneaked into the Castle, got captured and then with almost little to no fanfare I find out Swaine is from the future? And then I head outside of the castle and no one is wearing any of their pig gear? Did I accidentally skip a story beat or something? If it gets explained later on I'll keep hacking away but if it's already been explained could someone please clarify wtf happened?

I'm still taking my sweet time with this game, just got to Hamelin and did a few things but I have a question.

I sneaked into the Castle, got captured and then with almost little to no fanfare I find out Swaine is from the future? And then I head outside of the castle and no one is wearing any of their pig gear? Did I accidentally skip a story beat or something? If it gets explained later on I'll keep hacking away but if it's already been explained could someone please clarify wtf happened?

hah. keep on playing.

madhtr

Aud&#943;oboxer;48182682 said:
Finally did the alchemy quest needing 5 scrolls and 5 stones.

I noticed more recipes need those items :'( How do you get the alchemy trophy, do you need to do 1 of all recipes? Farming more of those two things will drive me nuts!!!

You need to make 120 of the 134 total recipes.

Can someone give me some tips on Platoon. The strategy guide makes it seem so easy and supposedly its the best way to make chips, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I have better luck with blackjack, but the grind on that game can be quite long to accumulate chips at about a 50% win rate.

CipherT

Neo Member
So has anyone else had any trouble keeping the same Mite from the start of the game and using him all the way through as your primary familiar?

So has anyone else had any trouble keeping the same Mite from the start of the game and using him all the way through as your primary familiar?

Later on, his growth slows way down and he becomes useless. You should get a Naja, Dinoceros or Bone Ranger and replace him as soon as possible.

Hawkie

Can someone give me some tips on Platoon. The strategy guide makes it seem so easy and supposedly its the best way to make chips, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I have better luck with blackjack, but the grind on that game can be quite long to accumulate chips at about a 50% win rate.

Last 2/3 piles on AI right hand side are generally always number cards with the first two piles on the left being the ones containing trick cards. A single card on the last three piles usually means a lowish number card. Always keep at least one high number card on its own and use it against the AI single card (from 3 right hand side piles) as soon as you can. If you have a pile of number cards go against the AI number piles (3 on right) before tackling the 2 left ones. I always kept bishops on their own (try to avoid using them until near the end of the turn) and paired my joker with my lowest number card. Play your joker cards against the 2 card or more piles on the AI right hand side if need be. Kings I kept on their own or paired with a low-mid number in order to keep my other cards for stacking. As a general rule the low risk piles are the 3 on the right. Try and go against them 1st as much as you can as the 2 left ones are higher risk and can go either way.

Just finished Nevermore and....

Beat Shadar and saw the fake ending. All the most important splot points wrapped up well enough that if I didn't know ahead of time I probably would've fallen for it had the game not name dropped the White Witch in the title. I would've just thought that she was being saved for a sequel. Shadar would've been a sufficient final boss fight, amazing game so far, it keeps me coming back!

Last 2/3 piles on AI right hand side are generally always number cards with the first two piles on the left being the ones containing trick cards. A single card on the last three piles usually means a lowish number card. Always keep at least one high number card on its own and use it against the AI single card (from 3 right hand side piles) as soon as you can. If you have a pile of number cards go against the AI number piles (3 on right) before tackling the 2 left ones. I always kept bishops on their own (try to avoid using them until near the end of the turn) and paired my joker with my lowest number card. Play your joker cards against the 2 card or more piles on the AI right hand side if need be. Kings I kept on their own or paired with a low-mid number in order to keep my other cards for stacking. As a general rule the low risk piles are the 3 on the right. Try and go against them 1st as much as you can as the 2 left ones are higher risk and can go either way.

That is some sound advice there Hawkie, thanks. I will definitely try this out tonight. The gold tin man will be mine!

BTW, do gold familiar variants have any advantages over standard? My haven't noticed any differences in my Hurly variants Gunther and Goldy.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(

Tizoc

Should I keep any of my old equipment or sell them off? I've not sold anything yet as I expect there to be a synthesis shop or the like as I keep advancing in the game.

Also Cowlipha is friggin' brilliant.

Takuya

Banned
Should I keep any of my old equipment or sell them off? I've not sold anything yet as I expect there to be a synthesis shop or the like as I keep advancing in the game.

Keep them if you're planning on upgrading equipment through alchemy or going for the platinum trophy. Honestly, you do not need to sell anything in game as gilders aren't hard to come by.

Acrylic7

Keep old stuff. Don't sell anything.
You are going to be making tons of cash, and the items you already have may be used for alchemy.

Top Bottom