• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Later on, his growth slows way down and he becomes useless. You should get a Naja, Dinoceros or Bone Ranger and replace him as soon as possible.

What level should I expect my Bone Baron to start to show some improvement? I know it is a late bloomer, but it is near useless compared to my Puss in Boats and Bouts. Those two are friggen monsters at my current level, no other familiars are even close power and speed wise, but I know that their usefullness will eventually run out since they are early bloomers.

Recall

I've just defeated
Genie from the couldron
in Castaway Cove, I felt extremely under levelled even though the rest of the game so far hasn't been too challenging.

What level should I be around this time? Enemies run away from me so grinding on them is hard but I feel I've gotten here too quickly. I'm currently level 21. Cheers for any info.

Sendou

I've just defeated
Genie from the couldron
in Castaway Cove, I felt extremely under levelled even though the rest of the game so far hasn't been too challenging.

Seriously the game felt hard for me too during that point but it quickly got easier. No idea about the levels though. I wouldn't worry too much I've been doing the side quests along the main quest and have been doing just fine with my levels and I'm a JRPG noob.

KmA

I finally cleared Valkyria Chronicles (meh) and Nier (meh with cool story) so to reward my poor college student self, I decided to break down and buy Ni No Kuni. I feel like I haven't been wowed by a game in so long. Not like when I first played Okami or FFX (i was young don't judge me), I really need that wow factor. I'm probably hyping myself too much for this, but after watching Spirited Away, The Grave of the Fireflies, and Princess Mononoke all in one day, I need this.

I finally cleared Valkyria Chronicles (meh) and Nier (meh with cool story) so to reward my poor college student self, I decided to break down and buy Ni No Kuni. I feel like I haven't been wowed by a game in so long. Not like when I first played Okami or FFX (i was young don't judge me), I really need that wow factor. I'm probably hyping myself too much for this, but after watching Spirited Away, The Grave of the Fireflies, and Princess Mononoke all in one day, I need this.

You're not overhyping it, just let it happen. I'm a jrpg vet and there is something about Level-5 games, particularly Dragon Quest 8 and Ni No Kuni, that is just so incredibly charming, absorbing, and satisfying and these characteristics are difficult to find anywhere else. Prepare to drop some major freetime into this game.

JohngPR

Just beat Nevermore and
if that would have been the ending, Inwould have felt satisfied!

How deep am I into the game at this point? I'm still enjoying the game very much but wouldn't mind seeing it end sooner rather than later...especially with the slew of games coming out (Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite).

abrack08

Picked this up along with MG Rising. Quite the contrast, going from Rising to Ni No Kuni. Really like it so far (6-7 hours in I think), though I wish it would let me figure out some stuff for myself. I saw someone make an offhand comment in another thread (I was on my phone, don't remember which thread) about turning off the handholding or something like that? Is that legit?

Just beat Nevermore and

How deep am I into the game at this point? I'm still enjoying the game very much but wouldn't mind seeing it end sooner rather than later...especially with the slew of games coming out (Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite).
not much more to go

Takuya

Banned
Just beat Nevermore and

You're almost done, not much longer, 90%

Picked this up along with MG Rising. Quite the contrast, going from Rising to Ni No Kuni. Really like it so far (6-7 hours in I think), though I wish it would let me figure out some stuff for myself. I saw someone make an offhand comment in another thread (I was on my phone, don't remember which thread) about turning off the handholding or something like that? Is that legit?

The objective marker, which is a huge hand holder, can be turned off at any time using the options menu. The game also starts to wean you off about 10-15 hrs in when the game opens up to more exploration. Removing the objective marker will make exploration feel much more like classic jrpg's since you will need to rely more on listening to what NPCs have to say in order to figure out where you need to go.

barugon

I've finished Nevermore.

Now I'm working through the last bit (I was almost duped by the false ending too) but it took me forever to figure out to land on that damned bird icon on Nazcaa. Did I miss a hint, or am I just THAT daft? It didn't seem intuitive at all.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
they never drop the scroll
you have to steal it with swaine

Yeah, figured that out... then I was grinding for 2 hours, nothing happened... then in 10 minutes I got all the stuff I needed... so yeah, every trophy got but the 250 familiars/120 alchemized items. And that's a wrap! Really enjoyed the game, though some niggling issues and frustrations (especially with the combat system, or a few of the extraneous, unnecessary systems like familiar feeding) keep this from displacing Xenoblade as my #1 game of the gen.

nib95

Banned
Just got to Hamelin. Fucking love this place. The size/scale, industrial design, music etc. Reminds me of a Midgar and Juno esque city from FFVII, only Hayao Miyazaki'd.

SxP

I've finished Nevermore.

Now I'm working through the last bit (I was almost duped by the false ending too) but it took me forever to figure out to land on that damned bird icon on Nazcaa. Did I miss a hint, or am I just THAT daft? It didn't seem intuitive at all.

I just did that just now and if there is a hint, I missed it as well. I immediately searched on the web though, because it seemed extremely strange that I couldn't land where it was obvious I would normally be able to land.

Einbroch

Banned
So how long is this game if you rush through it? I just don't have the time to sit down with a jRPG anymore and there's a lot of great games I want from GameFly (MGS, DmC, Tomb Raider). I just got the
ability to craft things in the cauldron
. I'm done with side quests and playing on Easy. I don't just want to give up, but if it's a lot longer, I'm just going to send it back, unfortunately, since I do like it a lot.

NekoFever

I think I got carried away building up some of my familiars on the Tokotoko path and am now severely overlevelled. I'm in the Miasma Marshes and all my main characters are level 72. I fought
Phil's Nightmare
as part of the story just before and he barely scratched me, so I don't think I'm going to find much challenge in the rest of the game.

Oh well. Better than getting stuck, I guess. I'm off work tomorrow so I'm just going to sit down and go through the rest of it in one go.

It didn't help that I spent like four hours trying to catch a Dinoceros. Gained a few levels just doing that.

I think I got carried away building up some of my familiars on the Tokotoko path and am now severely overlevelled. I'm in the Miasma Marshes and all my main characters are level 72. I fought
Phil's Nightmare
as part of the story just before and he barely scratched me, so I don't think I'm going to find much challenge in the rest of the game.

Oh well. Better than getting stuck, I guess. I'm off work tomorrow so I'm just going to sit down and go through the rest of it in one go.

It didn't help that I spent like four hours trying to catch a Dinoceros. Gained a few levels just doing that.

i was only level 40something at that point, and i did almost every sidequest.

oni_saru

So has anyone else had any trouble keeping the same Mite from the start of the game and using him all the way through as your primary familiar?

I used him all the way to the end but had him in my second slot. Starting from Skull Mountain on I started to main Puss in Bouts but when he wasn't enough I would switch to Mite.

An advise that I would like that someone told me when I was playing.

Steal with Swaine. Always. Constantly. In each combat. In each boss.

You'll get tons of good items, even nice equipment. You'll never need money and, also, when you'll finish the game you'll have a lot of the necessary items for the alchemy, and nearly all the necessary to platinum the game.

An advise that I would like that someone told me when I was playing.

Steal with Swaine. Always. Constantly. In each combat. In each boss.

You'll get tons of good items, even nice equipment. You'll never need money and, also, when you'll finish the game you'll have a lot of the necessary items for the alchemy, and nearly all the necessary to platinum the game.

Yep, this. Started doing this recently and wish i had started much earlier in the game.

I finished the game yesterday. The ending
was kind of eh. Sort of just fizzles out. The whole White Witch and zombies section seems sort of bolted on and barely relevant to the main story. Also she is never punished for what she did, she freaking killed Oliver's mom. And then team just fies away from the castle, cue credits. I did like the sort of Kiki's delivery sequence with Oliver flying around Motorville on his broom.

i just beat chap 6, the game wants me to think it's over but i know it's not.
ni no kuni the wrath of the white witch... who is this witch seriously? i'm about 85% done, and there's no mention of her. (rhetorical question, don't spoil me)

madhtr

i just beat chap 6, the game wants me to think it's over but i know it's not.
ni no kuni the wrath of the white witch... who is this witch seriously? i'm about 85% done, and there's no mention of her. (rhetorical question, don't spoil me)

What? She's seen throughout the game in cutscenes... so maybe you weren't paying attention?

26LXok4.png

Just a heads up for those of you that missed it: I'm giving away the NNK steelbook in the Gamesies Ep6 thread. Giveaway's only for gaffers. Just watch the ep and comment in the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514323

kubus

Whew, got my Plat trophy a few hours ago and just finished catching all of the familiars. I am now officially done with this game, though it makes me a little sad. It doesn't feel like I'm done :(.

Funny story this, Toko was the only familiar left I needed to catch (already had Tokotoko + its 2 final forms) but I was seriously considering dropping it because I really didn't feel like grinding for hours to catch a Toko (2% catch rate). I was in my fifth fight with one when I decided that I was gonna try one last fight and then I would just quit the game entirely. At that moment my boyfriend walks in to check up on my progress, so I explain that I was kinda done with the game and that I was going to give up on Toko. He tries to convince me to keep going, and at that moment I enter a fight with a Toko - my final try. Boyfriend says "Mark my words, you're gonna catch this one" and I'm like "Yea right". And... as you would've guessed, I caught that Toko :').

As a bonus, there was also a Mitey in that fight that I could serenade after Toko as well. So I did. First familiar in the game also became my last familiar :).

80 hours of pure enjoyment. Well, except for those few hours that I had to grind for scrolls and kaleidostones... I hope Level-5 and Ghibli will make a new game. I don't even care if its a sequel or not. Better yet, Nintendo should have Level-5 make a 3D Pokemon for WiiU.

JoduanER2

Is there a lot of hidden stuff, like in trees or the grass? because
im at the fairies island the one with the big white mother fairy and just realized there is a lot of hidden items

kubus

Completed the game yay! What is the best place for leveling familiars? Mainly for the 250 familiars trophy :d.
Teleport to
Perida
and climb down the hill looking for Tokotokos. They give insane amounts of experience. Once you're at the bottom, teleport back and start climbing down again. Rinse and repeat. Normally three to four Tokotoko encounters is enough to evolve a base familiar to its final form. Just make sure to keep Veil on at all times because the Tokotokos run away the instance they see you. Also, use a trick to finish off the Tokotoko right at the start of the battle, because they'll try to flee. You can even encounter two Tokotokos in one fight if youre lucky :). This is how I got the 250 familiar trophy fairly easily.

Merino

Finished the game last night.

Don't think I'll be bothering with the post-game stuff at all. This whole familiar catching on base of chance (on top of gathering rare materials based on lucky steals/drops) is just not worth the effort. I also don't think the battle system interesting enough to keep me busy with the story ended and all.

I thought the Ghibli part was absolutely fantastic, great story, great visual style, wonderfull animation. Kept me interested to the very end. The game part, curtosy of Level 5, left wanting in certain area's. Nevertheless I very much enjoyed playing and hope there'll be a sequel at some point.

Just how rare are double planets? Not only did I get my favourite familiar yesterday, but it was a double planet sign!

DSCF3797_Cropped_zpsf34e8a9d.jpg

I wish this guy didn't turn up so darn late.

So I'm getting this game this week, do you have any tips for new players?

Enjoy the ride. Seriously there aint really any beginners traps and nothing is really missable. I suggest you start with Normal difficulty to give you some challenge cause you can always tune the difficulty down from menu if needed.

I supposedly used pretty sucky familiars myself and had no problems on normal difficulty without grinding.

Yeah, that's probably it. The green one is probably The White Witch. Not the white one.

well, her armor is white. and the "white" one isn't completely white either.
anyway, the term "white witch" is finally mentioned about 95% through the main story.
and they're the same person! so we're both right.

Top Bottom