• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

So, I didn't particularly enjoy the demo (to be fair, though: I didn't have much time to spend with it, and only played a bit of the part on the volcano). Do those of you played it feel it was a fair representation of the game? I ask because I nearly missed Asura's Wrath after disliking the demo, and it turned out to be one of my favorite games of this gen. After reading the Eurogamer review, it seems there's a lot more here than suggested by the demo.

Thoughts?

from what i played and the videos i saw and stuff i read it doesn't depict the full game.

zeopower6

So, I didn't particularly enjoy the demo (to be fair, though: I didn't have much time to spend with it, and only played a bit of the part on the volcano). Do those of you played it feel it was a fair representation of the game? I ask because I nearly missed Asura's Wrath after disliking the demo, and it turned out to be one of my favorite games of this gen. After reading the Eurogamer review, it seems there's a lot more here than suggested by the demo.

Thoughts?

There's a lot of things you miss out on in the demo since it was so focused on just letting people experience the battles. It definitely wasn't a good representation of the game as a whole but it was fine if you were just looking to try some battles out, I guess.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Am I right this is the gaming equivalent of comfort food for jrpgs? Not a lot of depth besides collecting creatures, but hits a big sweet spot for fans? I feel like the last one of those was Blue Dragon.

I've got the amazon preorder coming, but I'm still not sure whether to open it yet...

Sushigod7

Thoughts?

I'd look at the demo as just a sample of battle mech and visuals. You can literally do nothing except walk around and do some random battles with the low time frame they have on it. If you like RPG's in general I think this is something special you don't want to miss. This kind of collaboration doesn't happen very often, games like this don't make it overseas all that often if your on the fence just do it.

Aeana

Am I right this is the gaming equivalent of comfort food for jrpgs? Not a lot of depth besides collecting creatures, but hits a big sweet spot for fans? I feel like the last one of those was Blue Dragon.

I've got the amazon preorder coming, but I'm still not sure whether to open it yet...

Level-5 games... well, I hesitate to say that they have "depth," but they do have way too many subsystems for their own good, which I think makes them intimidating to play. So I'm not sure I'd equate it with something like, say, Dragon Quest which pretty much is the definition of comfort food in RPG form.

zeopower6

What were the pre-order goals people have spoke about?

There was a Ni no Starter campaign of sorts that was intended to be like "Kickstarter" for the Ni no Kuni Wizard's Edition. However, this was before many people knew about the game via the demo/reviews so it was pretty hard to get past some of the goals.

Basically, people would preorder and after a certain undisclosed amount (the number of "fans" which is usually the number of backers on a Kickstarter project was the amount of Facebook likes the FB page got), the 'goal' would be reached and a new goodie was added to the Wizard's Edition.

If I recall correctly, we got to goal one and two which was the Wizard's Coin and 5 Art Prints, but then the third took a while and we ALMOST made it after they extended the deadline to early September, but we didn't make it. However they did add the Soundtrack Selection CD to the Wizard's Edition for whatever reason.

Durante

I can't help but notice that a large number of reviews and impressions talk about how Ni No Kuni 'pushes the stagnating Japanese RPG genre forward'. Considering how I don't remember this game doing that at all, is this just code for 'I barely ever play games in this genre'?
I think "stagnating Japanese RPG" is already code for "I barely ever play games in this genre". If you do, you'd notice that it isn't any more stagnating than any other genre really (and less so than some).

Level-5 games... well, I hesitate to say that they have "depth," but they do have way too many subsystems for their own good, which I think makes them intimidating to play. So I'm not sure I'd equate it with something like, say, Dragon Quest which pretty much is the definition of comfort food in RPG form.
This is an interesting point of view, since I just noticed while posting in the other thread that "figuring out systems" is probably one of my favourite parts of playing JRPGs.

This explains
- why I often love JRPGs for 8-15 hours and then get terribly bored
- why I liked this game's demo so much (you need to figure out quite a bit in a rather short time to comfortably beat the boss)
- why I even managed to enjoy Cross Edge
- together with your post just now, why I really don't care much for the Dragon Quest series. They usually have a rather simple system and stretch it over an incredibly long time

Bring on the subsystems!

Aeana

I think "stagnating Japanese RPG" is already code for "I barely ever play games in this genre". If you do, you'd notice that it isn't any more stagnating than any other genre really (and less so than some).

This is an interesting point of view, since I just noticed while posting in the other thread that "figuring out systems" is probably one of my favourite parts of playing JRPGs.

This explains
- why I liked this game's demo so much (you need to figure out quite a bit in a rather short time to comfortably beat the boss)
- together with your post just now, why I really don't care much for the Dragon Quest series. They usually have a rather simple system and stretch it over an incredibly long time

Well, my personal complaint with Level-5 games isn't to do with having systems, it's that they feel overburdened and there's little real synergy between them. I love RPGs where the systems all work together really well. Tales of Graces is a great example of this. I really enjoy learning to use those sorts of systems to their fullest in order to play a game optimally. tri-Ace is another company that I think really gets it. I just never thought Level-5 did.

Amneisac

This explains

Bring on the subsystems!

It's funny because I'm the complete opposite. I usually enjoy the beginning of RPGs but I get so stressed out with inventory management and min/maxing the systems that I wind up hording all the materials and never really make anything because I'm scared I'm going to screw something up and eventually I quit playing.

chrono01

f0hvb.gif

...Well, not really, I already have mine pre-ordered from last year, but congrats to those who secured theirs. ^_^

codhand

Went to Playstation tab at the top and found it through there.

not sure what to make of this:
This order will be shipped after the release date of 1/22/2013 for Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch – Wizard’s Edition Club Namco Exclusive.

QaaQer

f0hvb.gif

...Well, not really, I already have mine pre-ordered from last year, but congrats to those who secured theirs. ^_^

I was doing that, but the buy button would not show up. So I searched for Ni No Kuni, and voila a preorder button on search page!

Got mine too. Thanks for the fellow poster who gave the heads up yesterday. You cured my bitterness. haha.

I have no idea why it wouldn't go through with my credit card, but the paypal order made it in. Guess I'll be getting the book (and more importantly, the soundtrack) after all.

Friggz

my mouse hovered over the submit order button for about 5 minnutes before i sent the order through. to be honest, im probably going to end up selling this.

I was tempted to get the Wizard Edition but I just don't have the space for more gaming collectible detritus, so I opted for the regular edition. I can't wait for Tuesday!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Well I tried. I kept getting payment authorization errors, even if I changed credit cards or used paypal or changed computers. Fate says no!

zeopower6

It's been up for preorder in the UK store for the last few weeks with the two exclusive DLC Familiars.

Kind of weird that it's coming out same day/close to same day in NA with no preorder but eh.

I just ordered the Wizard Edition from my iPhone in the middle of an executive staff meeting with my company's biggest partner.

I am 32 years old. My wife is going to kill me.

Toki767

I just ordered the Wizard Edition from my iPhone in the middle of an executive staff meeting with my company's biggest partner.

You're 32 years old. Treat yourself and the wife to something nice. And enjoy the Wizard's Edition while you're at it.

Sounds like you utilized your time more effectively than your company did. That kind of initiative warrants a promotion imo

Same age man. Hopefully the wifey will enjoy watching you play this Beautiful Game. :)

Well, if I change my mind I'm sure I can always sell it to another Gaffer. I love technology. To think that I could sit on my phone and order something so seamlessly (and quietly!) 5-7 years ago would have been unthinkable. Hopefully nobody saw me pull my credit card out of my wallet.

Sushigod7

Well, if I change my mind I'm sure I can always sell it to another Gaffer. I love technology. To think that I could sit on my phone and order something so seamlessly (and quietly!) 5-7 years ago would have been unthinkable. Hopefully nobody saw me pull my credit card out of my wallet.

LOL that is classic man pull out the CC playing with your phone in a meeting. That's almost as cool as the software programmer who outsourced his own job to China so he didn't have to do anything at work.

edit. I'm the same age, I was playing the demo the other night and my wife walked in said "is that a movie" Nope it's a demo "oh that's cute looks good" so hopefully she won't mind

1stStrike

Banned
I never ever buy collectors editions, but I went ahead and bought this one.

Product Name Qty Ordered Amount
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch – Wizard’s Edition Club Namco Exclusive 1 $99.99

Subtotal: $99.99
Shipping: $8.90
Tax: $8.71
Total: $117.60

Surprised it was still in stock as I was over 2 hours late.

I'll probably never open it and sell it for profit down the road

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope Ghibli works more with games if this is somehow profitable for them.

I been thinking about the weirdest pairing, but I would love a full fledged Costume Quest game with the same kind of art style.

Top Bottom