• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Can someone answer this question I saw in the comments for that review?

"I have question: in the demo you could not turn off subtitles nor invert the controls for the camera (invert Y axis) but are these option present in the final game?"

.. the options are in the demo. unsure if the guy even touched the demo.

zeopower6

So does it innovate the genre or not? Reviews seem to be split down the middle on that so that makes me lean towards "no".

Not really, but the word 'classic' tends to be brought up a lot when referring to the gameplay. Also it's definitely not innovating or trying to... it's just a VERY gorgeous polished RPG imo.

Ratrat

So does it innovate the genre or not? Reviews seem to be split down the middle on that so that makes me lean towards "no".
I don't think so. It's a traditional/old school rpg. Reviews saying it invigorates or surpasses recent RPGs are just ragging on the current state of the genre.

Derrick01

Banned
I think I'd actually prefer it to be like the 90s-early 2000s classics anyway. I like those more than most recent jrpgs. Just thought it was weird to see people saying how unique it is and breathes life into the genre, and then others are like "meh it's good but doesn't do anything new".

Aeana

I think I'd actually prefer it to be like the 90s-early 2000s classics anyway. I like those more than most recent jrpgs. Just thought it was weird to see people saying how unique it is and breathes life into the genre, and then others are like "meh it's good but doesn't do anything new".

People who say the latter stuff are generally the people who don't even play very many Japanese RPGs, which astounds me even more since if you can't see the difference even between FF13, Xenoblade and Ni no Kuni, there's some sort of problem.

Thanks! I'll make sure I'm not at lunch. Wasn't planning on buying the game any time soon until I played the demo...now I'm in love and need that book.

zeopower6

Went from only getting this because of Ghibli to being mad excited for Tuesday..
Any places selling it early in the US?

GameStops already have their copies reportedly, but no one has been sold any copies yet as far as I know. Also, somehow a shop in HK has EU versions of the game for sale on eBay (and they are legitimate).

GameStops already have their copies reportedly, but no one has been sold any copies yet as far as I know. Also, somehow a shop in HK has EU versions of the game for sale on eBay (and they are legitimate).

True. Maybe I'll try some mom & pop shops in Philly this weekend.

Ricker

It's more likely that it will get slammed hard. It would be a miracle if things were nice and smooth, haha.

Maybe not...didn't they stop selling them because they didn't get enough votes or sales for a third item to be added to WE when this started...most people that wanted the special edition have it pre-ordered by now...I mean there will be more sales but enough to crash the site?...I don't think so,hopefully not for you guys who want it.

zeopower6

Maybe not...didn't they stop selling them because they didn't get enough votes or sales for a third item to be added to WE when this started...most people that wanted the special edition have it pre-ordered by now...I mean there will be more sales but enough to crash the site?...I don't think so,hopefully not for you guys who want it.

That was months before this weird explosion of interest in Ni no Kuni. Now that the demo and reviews are out, people reaalllllly want that Wizard's Edition. I think I've seen at least a few hundred comments like "I wish I could've gotten a Wizard's Edition...." since the preorder closed and now that it's available again at a specific time... who knows what will happen?

Also, they had set a time limit on the preorders back then so after August 31st, no more orders could be placed. However, in honor of PAX or w/e they extended it to September 4th.

My worry is that their site will not be able to handle the traffic, I suppose. Most sites NEVER prepare themselves for things like this so things tend to go wrong even if it's only a hundred users or so.

Finally played the demo last night and I still cannot get into this. I want to like it, but it just isn't grabbing my attention. The production value seems really good and I hope it does very well.

Sushigod7

That was months before this weird explosion of interest in Ni no Kuni. Now that the demo and reviews are out, people reaalllllly want that Wizard's Edition. I think I've seen at least a few hundred comments like "I wish I could've gotten a Wizard's Edition...." since the preorder closed and now that it's available again at a specific time... who knows what will happen?

Also, they had set a time limit on the preorders back then so after August 31st, no more orders could be placed. However, in honor of PAX or w/e they extended it to September 4th.

My worry is that their site will not be able to handle the traffic, I suppose. Most sites NEVER prepare themselves for things like this so things tend to go wrong even if it's only a hundred users or so.

I'm not sure beyond gaf and a few on facebook this is still that popular, being #1 on Amazon does not mean thousands of people are ordering it. Nothing else has even been released recently so it wouldn't take much to jump to #1 there. I predict it will be busy and maybe slow but it will not crash the site. To some 99 is to much still for just a book and a cheap plush.

zeopower6

I never really said it would crash the site, but it'll probably be a bit of a bumpy ride. I have had quite a few bad experiences with timed things like this and sites often not working as they should when the time does come. We'll see when it happens!

Is the wizard edition still going to have a small group made available today?

Yep. The time is fast approaching!

I never really said it would crash the site, but it'll probably be a bit of a bumpy ride. I have had quite a few bad experiences with timed things like this and sites often not working as they should when the time does come. We'll see when it happens!

how do I make an account on the namco bandai site? I don't see it anywhere.

how do I make an account on the namco bandai site? I don't see it anywhere.

when you go to checkout you have to fill out your shipping/billing and right below that you enter email and password. and below that you enter your paymention information. CC/Debit or paypal.

email/password will be your login. and for future order you can just enter email/password to order.

Sushigod7

Between this and a Mondo drop today I see a lot of swearing and aggravation regarding the internet. My wireless router seems to be having issues as well. Great day for that to happen.

codhand

ok since the website getting slammed is a given i'm now predicting some netbot buys the entire lot at 1pm eastern on the dot.

Derrick01

Banned
People who say the latter stuff are generally the people who don't even play very many Japanese RPGs, which astounds me even more since if you can't see the difference even between FF13, Xenoblade and Ni no Kuni, there's some sort of problem.

From what I've seen, and keep in mind that I've followed this game very little until maybe 3 days ago, the combat seems like a mix of Dark Cloud (control the character and run around enemies) and Pokemon. I think I can get into that even if it sounds confusing to control.

Sushigod7

From what I've seen, and keep in mind that I've followed this game very little until maybe 3 days ago, the combat seems like a mix of Dark Cloud (control the character and run around enemies) and Pokemon. I think I can get into that even if it sounds confusing to control.

After playing the demo twice the combat is pretty easy to pick up.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

also reminds me of eternal sonata, where you can run around the battle field.

Sol1dus

Apparently there will be a few more Wizard's Editions to be found tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/291649628011630592

:DDD I hope I can get my hands on it.

PokéKong;46522652 said:
Wow does anyone know exactly when the restock goes live? I don't want to have canceled my The Hut order for nothing when they sell out again in a minute.

If you manage to get your hands on both, I'll pay full price for one of them and for you to ship it to me. (as long as you live in the US)

How many preorder DLC's are there exactly?
I know the US special edition has 2 (golden) and there's the Amazon one which is different. Not sure if the 2 in the EU special edition are the same.
Gamestop doesn't seem to have any preorder DLC.

This kind of stuff is just really annoying. Hopefully they'll release them all on the PS Store later, but that might not even happen. Meanwhile, they're all probably available for the JP version on the JP PS Store.

How many preorder DLC's are there exactly?
I know the US special edition has 2 (golden) and there's the Amazon one which is different. Not sure if the 2 in the EU special edition are the same.
Gamestop doesn't seem to have any preorder DLC.

This kind of stuff is just really annoying. Hopefully they'll release them all on the PS Store later, but that might not even happen. Meanwhile, they're all probably available for the JP version on the JP PS Store.

i think best buy got DLC too with the butterfly

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Can you dodge attacks by running around during battle, or does it serve any purpose at all battle-wise to keep in motion?

i think best buy got DLC too with the butterfly

Is there anything known if these will all be purchasable on the US/EU PS Stores later on?
If these are on the JP Store is a decent indication, but that region gets the most support from games that naturally come from it. I could see them not releasing these at all later for Western regions.

I do find it strange this game is getting retailer-exclusive DLC. It's of course backed by a big publisher, originating from Japan, but usually it's your Western dudebro games only that get this treatment.

zeopower6

Is there anything known if these will all be purchasable on the US/EU PS Stores later on?
If these are on the JP Store is a decent indication, but that region gets the most support from games that naturally come from it. Id coul see them not releasing these at all later for Western regions.

No one knows. I would think they would eventually be put up at some point. Griffy/Flutterby are Western exclusives so they were not originally in the Japanese game.

In Japan, the DLC monsters that were part of the free DLC released were all included in the All in One Edition along with 3 monsters from the Ni no Kuni mobile card game. However, the golden ones you got from buying guides were not ever put up on PSN and the codes from those guides are valid until 2030~ or so.

If these are on the JP Store is a decent indication, but that region gets the most support from games that naturally come from it. Id coul see them not releasing these at all later for Western regions.

I assume the US version is up to date as far as what JP PSN store got. they added the Easy mode more quest, and monsters and some items via new copy and update.

have Namco released DLC that was previously exclusive to retailer or platform for free or cost?

Beckx

So, I didn't particularly enjoy the demo (to be fair, though: I didn't have much time to spend with it, and only played a bit of the part on the volcano). Do those of you played it feel it was a fair representation of the game? I ask because I nearly missed Asura's Wrath after disliking the demo, and it turned out to be one of my favorite games of this gen. After reading the Eurogamer review, it seems there's a lot more here than suggested by the demo.

Thoughts?

So, I didn't particularly enjoy the demo (to be fair, though: I didn't have much time to spend with it, and only played a bit of the part on the volcano). Do those of you played it feel it was a fair representation of the game? I ask because I nearly missed Asura's Wrath after disliking the demo, and it turned out to be one of my favorite games of this gen. After reading the Eurogamer review, it seems there's a lot more here than suggested by the demo.

Thoughts?
demos for RPGs in general are almost never representative of the overall feeling of a game.

Top Bottom