• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

LuuKyK

Wait a minute. 40 GB!!?? What in the actual fuck.
help.gif

zeopower6

How much space will we need for the install? I'm getting the game on disc but I only have a 40gb PS3.

3GB or so for the install.

My comment about needed 40GB is because you need the space to download the game (20~ GB) and then space to install it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
There's no way of knowing if this Avatar was already taken besides someone saying as such so if this specific one is taken by anyone prior to me taking it then I'll change it. Otherwise, I like this Avatar! I love Studio Ghibli art. =P

EDIT: As I suspected, it seems that someone claimed this Avatar prior to me, so I'm going to look for another Studio Ghibli avatar in general.

thepainlibrary

Neo Member
I'm not usually a fan of JRPGs but this game really has caught my eye, but idk if i should buy it.

so has anyone who has played it, can you say its only for hardcore JRPGs fans or is it pretty fun and for people like me?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im finally just watching some stuff on this. Oh man this is like a psone Final Fantasy game. Its like a Miyazaki cartoon in game form. And the voice acting actually sounds good.

Eusis

Just got the game today. The box says 4 gb mandatory install, not 3 gb for anyone who's curious!
I should've erred higher, but nevertheless the point is there's a sizable required install. Bad for anyone really low on space, but good for those of us that'd rather keep loading to a minimum.

PerZona

I'm not usually a fan of JRPGs but this game really has caught my eye, but idk if i should buy it.

so has anyone who has played it, can you say its only for hardcore JRPGs fans or is it pretty fun and for people like me?

It's a pretty easy game for people who would only want to enjoy the game. So far I'm 3 hours into the game and it's really gooooood. Hard to find a JRPG like this these days.

Yuterald

Managed to score a Wizard Edition the other day when the stock came back in. I'm not dying to play this game, but I'm looking forward to it. Should be fun. The world map is too hot!

Mr.Fresh

I would just download the demo if I were u just to see. But when you do download the demo at around with the battle system and learn the basics.

zeopower6

Wow, the Western one is higher. Thanks for the heads up! It was 3300MB in Japan. (LOL I put GB fff)

http://i.imgur.com/55NHqQJ.jpg

Someone from GameFAQs (Spork__Knight) got to pick up their guide and game at a local shop tonight! Pretty awesome. He also posted some images of the guide which are stunning and gorgeous as expected.

From the looks of it, it seems like a walkthrough book. Though, it is enormous! I haven't given it an honest read yet, too busy taking some pictures of this bad boy for you guys haha.

Yep! There's an awesome art section! Just give me a moment to upload some of these photos I took of it. It breaks down into several sections such as concept art, location art, character art, vehicle/transportation art, item art, and story boards.

He posted some images of the inside of the book, but I am... not sure if that's allowed here.

bigmac996

Namco special edition or regular ?

Got the regular edition. I didn't know until recently that Canadians can still get the wizard's edition. Ah well, I'm in it for the game, so no big deal.

Incredible game so far. I've only played about an hour or so, but it's everything I wanted. The English language track is also pretty great.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I'm not super far (just got my first familiar), but I'll do my best.

nasos_333

Got the regular edition. I didn't know until recently that Canadians can still get the wizard's edition. Ah well, I'm in it for the game, so no big deal.

Incredible game so far. I've only played about an hour or so, but it's everything I wanted. The English language track is also pretty great.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I'm not super far (just got my first familiar), but I'll do my best.

How expansive are the 2d cut scenes ? I guess will be sight to behold at 720p

FaintDeftone

I'm still on the fence about this one. The demo was cool, but I hear the difficulty is pretty brutal and I feel like I'll end up hitting a road block and just quit playing it. Although, I wonder if it'll eventually be rare and nice to hold onto a copy (even though you can get it digitally, which may degrade the value in the future...).

Lucent

Wow, the Western one is higher. Thanks for the heads up! It was 3300MB in Japan. (LOL I put GB fff)

http://i.imgur.com/55NHqQJ.jpg

Someone from GameFAQs (Spork__Knight) got to pick up their guide and game at a local shop tonight! Pretty awesome. He also posted some images of the guide which are stunning and gorgeous as expected.

He posted some images of the inside of the book, but I am... not sure if that's allowed here.

Dammit. Now I want the guide. It looks great.

Same here. Who knows when they'll start shipping out the WEs. T_T

It says on the site itself that they don't ship until after 1/22/2013. So that day or after. I'm hoping to be surprised though.

bigmac996

How expansive are the 2d cut scenes ? I guess will be sight to behold at 720p

The cutscenes are gorgeous! So far there haven't been many 2d cutscenes (i just got to the waterfalls area that I think is in the demo). Mostly only for key plot moments, but they look as good as any of Ghibli's recent offerings! I wish all the cutscenes were in 2d, but I know that'd be pretty much impossible.

zeopower6

I'm still on the fence about this one. The demo was cool, but I hear the difficulty is pretty brutal and I feel like I'll end up hitting a road block and just quit playing it. Although, I wonder if it'll eventually be rare and nice to hold onto a copy (even though you can get it digitally, which may degrade the value in the future...).

If you play through slowly and try not to rush through the game, you will likely not meet the 'difficulty spikes'. However, if you charge head first without doing some leveling before a new area, you may run into some trouble.

Eusis

If you play through slowly and try not to rush through the game, you will likely not meet the 'difficulty spikes'. However, if you charge head first without doing some leveling before a new area, you may run into some trouble.
The question then becomes how much there is to explore, how quick leveling is, etc. It'll be kind of annoying if forced grinding is practically necessary, but if I can make do just casually poking around to see what I can find or try to recruit monsters (depending on how this works) I probably won't have an issue with it.

Just got the game today. The box says 4 gb mandatory install, not 3 gb for anyone who's curious!

Where did you get the regular edition from?

How is the exploration/towns? Lots to do? Lots to find? Ever play Dark Cloud 2? Any similarities? Any side-dungeons or anything like that? Standard setting options? I know you can turn off destination indicators (thank goodness), but can you speed up some of the battle sequences by any means?

I found it interesting that there are 2D sections in the game, which look incredible. I was also astonished at the snowy setting, game captures a snowy village so well. I just love the warmth I feel when looking at the trailers.

Le-mo

I just saw the review from Shinkara and I'm pretty stoked for it at this point except I don't own a PS3 anymore. I'll just have to borrow my friend's PS3 and buy the regular edition so I can keep the collector edition sealed.

nasos_333

After these rave reviews i have to admit i feel so much better spending the 120$ for the special edition :)

Should be a real treat next week

I wish the DS version was also released later on :(, maybe enchanced for 3DS

The Lamp

Fuck me I have a 60GB PS3 and literally no more space to install shit even after I've deleted every downloaded game, movie, etc. and I don't have money for another hard drive >_<

Animekatt

Dammit. Now I want the guide. It looks great.
It says on the site itself that they don't ship until after 1/22/2013. So that day or after. I'm hoping to be surprised though.

Oh I know, just meant the exact date. I'm getting anxious in playing this is all.

zeopower6

Some glitches have popped up besides the wand thing! But it could be this person's PS3. (ArronAubin@GameFAQs reported this in multiple posts):
I'm sure there will be a patch come tuesday that'll at least deal with some of these. Now, I got the game early, I LOVE it, my play time is 7 hours and 10 minutes. So this is me just pointing out two things I've come across;

-I was doing a bounty mission, found my target on the world map, pressed X for the prompt to initiate battle, when it was doing the blur transition into the fight, the game completely froze. The home button didn't work, I had to manually shut off my PS3.

-I was in the Golden Grove for the first time, went to activate this little scene (I assume?) where Oliver skips across mushroom tops, he missed the mushrooms and proceeded to walk right into the wall. I could activate the home button and just quit the game from there.

Neither corrupted a save file, which reminded me it might be handy to keep an extra, just in case.

Might be the case, but if it happens again, then I'll probably have to blame the game for it. Both of those were only once for that matter.

Yeah, I saved at the entrance so it wasn't a big loss. But he walks up to it (im at it now) and says "These giant mushrooms are blocking the way Mr. Drippy. What should we do?" but the first time he walked to the right of them and just kept auto walking into the wall and wouldn't stop. lol

These only occurred once each though and didn't happen when the game was reset so... it probably won't happen for everyone... hopefully.

PerZona

The question then becomes how much there is to explore, how quick leveling is, etc. It'll be kind of annoying if forced grinding is practically necessary, but if I can make do just casually poking around to see what I can find or try to recruit monsters (depending on how this works) I probably won't have an issue with it.

You can't just recruit monsters, it doesn't work like Pokemon. Don't want to spoil you as it's story related for "recruiting" monsters.

Some glitches have popped up besides the wand thing! But it could be this person's PS3. (ArronAubin@GameFAQs reported this in multiple posts):

These only occurred once each though and didn't happen when the game was reset so... it probably won't happen for everyone... hopefully.

It didn't freeze for me even once while playing this game. Now I'm in my 5th hour already, and way past those locations.

madhtr

Fuck me I have a 60GB PS3 and literally no more space to install shit even after I've deleted every downloaded game, movie, etc. and I don't have money for another hard drive >_<

Did you delete the game data for games? Not the saves, but the game data tends to take up a lot of space. I clean that out every now and then, myself.

bigmac996

Where did you get the regular edition from?

How is the exploration/towns? Lots to do? Lots to find? Ever play Dark Cloud 2? Any similarities? Any side-dungeons or anything like that? Standard setting options? I know you can turn off destination indicators (thank goodness), but can you speed up some of the battle sequences by any means?

I found it interesting that there are 2D sections in the game, which look incredible. I was also astonished at the snowy setting, game captures a snowy village so well. I just love the warmth I feel when looking at the trailers.

Hey man! The exploration is great! I'm still near the beginning, but there's definitely lots to do. The world map is full of enemies and sparkly item things to pick up, while the locations you enter into are full of treasure chests and things. So far a lot of chests I've encountered have been "sealed by magic", so I've been taking notes on their locations.

Also, you can do side quests for people throughout the town (so far just fetch quests from ding dong dell that I've gotten), and it's interesting because unlike main quests, there are no markers providing any info on the location of the missions, so it's up to you to find em.

I did play Dark Cloud 2 in fact, and loved that game. I suppose it has a similar feel, being a Level 5 game but I'd say it has more in common with Dragon Quest 8 on PS2.

As for side-dungeons, not sure yet and I totally didn't know you can turn off quest indicators! I'm on that now haha.

I don't think you can speed up battle sequences as far as I know. As you level up the weaker guys die almost instantly, so that's pretty fast. I can check on this.

I am very excited to see some of the new locations like the snowy one you mentioned. I visited a ghost that told me about a far-off desert, which should be interesting as well!

I hope you enjoy the game! I know I do. And as for where I got the game, where do you live? I can pm you if you're in Canada.

nasos_333

Hey man! The exploration is great! I'm still near the beginning, but there's definitely lots to do. The world map is full of enemies and sparkly item things to pick up, while the locations you enter into are full of treasure chests and things. So far a lot of chests I've encountered have been "sealed by magic", so I've been taking notes on their locations.

Also, you can do side quests for people throughout the town (so far just fetch quests from ding dong dell that I've gotten), and it's interesting because unlike main quests, there are no markers providing any info on the location of the missions, so it's up to you to find em.

I did play Dark Cloud 2 in fact, and loved that game. I suppose it has a similar feel, being a Level 5 game but I'd say it has more in common with Dragon Quest 8 on PS2.

As for side-dungeons, not sure yet and I totally didn't know you can turn off quest indicators! I'm on that now haha.

I don't think you can speed up battle sequences as far as I know. As you level up the weaker guys die almost instantly, so that's pretty fast. I can check on this.

I am very excited to see some of the new locations like the snowy one you mentioned. I visited a ghost that told me about a far-off desert, which should be interesting as well!

I hope you enjoy the game! I know I do. And as for where I got the game, where do you live? I can pm you if you're in Canada.

Can you get inside many houses/shops in the towns ?

MBison

I probably missed out on the GAFers offering their extra WE but if anyone is getting one and wants to sell, please pm me.

Danj

You have enough money to buy this game, but you don't have $50 for a bigger hard drive? Because that's all it costs, they are just standard SATA laptop form factor drives.

Eusis

You have enough money to buy this game, but you don't have $50 for a bigger hard drive? Because that's all it costs, they are just standard SATA laptop form factor drives.
Maybe he wants to go all out and get a Momentus XT, or some other SSD/HDD hybrid if it's out there, or he ALSO wants an external HD for backing up which can double the cost right there (useful if they intend to get a Wii U though, and it's not a bad idea to have around even if not). But yeah, it's probably a good idea to look for what you can cut out and squeeze in a new HD.

Though given it's a 60 GB PS3 I'd personally consider just saving up for a new PS3 just to be safe. This would be way less of an issue if they didn't bind HDs to the system, bind them to accounts or something, or at least lock off accounts if you don't authorize them through PSN successfully.

Top Bottom