• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Eusis

They spoil major plot points from the beginning of the game in the first sentence damn! Lol Im happy I already knew that.
Wonder if it's the one I knew about from the very first previews? Well, given how often people say they spoil games I never care to watch their reviews unless plot was a complete non-factor.

... Almost is for this actually, but I'll go ahead and give it a chance to surprise me.

Mr.Fresh

Is there much reason to use Oliver's spells over familiars'? Does he get much better magic?

I assume he does since in the demo he had more spells in the volcano section.

Wonder if it's the one I knew about from the very first previews? Well, given how often people say they spoil games I never care to watch their reviews unless plot was a complete non-factor.

... Almost is for this actually, but I'll go ahead and give it a chance to surprise me.

Yea it's probably the one you already know.

Is it the mom being near death
? Cause that's just the premise, it even says that on their website.

Yea That's it.
I thought it was a spoiler because all the other reviews decided against mentioning it.
Its still good to warn people though since some people are really sensitive about that stuff.

BluWacky

Why do so many reviews mention Pokemon? It's really not much like that at all.

Because you battle using a selection of creatures that you recruit by battling them in turn, each one has specific elemental skills, and you have a roster of three at a time? It's a very apt comparison to make IMO. While the battle system is obviously not similar in execution, conceptually the Imajinn are pretty much like Pokemon.

Eusis

Yea That's it.
I thought it was a spoiler because all the other reviews decided against mentioning it.
Its still good to warn people though since some people are really sensitive about that stuff.
It can be kind of interesting going in blind and being surprised by that stuff anyway. I remember having that years ago with the first episodes of Full Metal Alchemist and Naruto where core parts of the basic premise either weren't known or didn't really sink in until I was done watching. That stuff can actually be very surprising despite being the sort of stuff they'd throw at you in marketing to sell you, or you just don't expect it
to be so dark immediately.

Because you battle using a selection of creatures that you recruit by battling them in turn, each one has specific elemental skills, and you have a roster of three at a time? It's a very apt comparison to make IMO. While the battle system is obviously not similar in execution, conceptually the Imajinn are pretty much like Pokemon.

So what is it more like as an easy comparison? Tamagotchi?

I'm a few hours into the game and I guess I just think it's a wee bit of a stretch. I guess the multiple monsters aspect is a decent comparison.

Mr.Fresh

It can be kind of interesting going in blind and being surprised by that stuff anyway. I remember having that years ago with the first episodes of Full Metal Alchemist and Naruto where core parts of the basic premise either weren't known or didn't really sink in until I was done watching. That stuff can actually be very surprising despite being the sort of stuff they'd throw at you in marketing to sell you, or you just don't expect it
to be so dark immediately.

Yea I feel the same way. That's why I threw that little warning out there. I kind of wish I would've went on a media black out on this.

Yeah I know he gets more spells, I'm just wondering why would you want to use his spells over a more powerful familiar since I assume you get them regularly?

Oh I'm not sure haha that wasn't me on the stream. I just saw it on Twitch.

Acrylic7

Cant wait to get this game. I haven't played a good JRPG at all this gen.

Hope it sells far better than it did in Japan.

Replicant

Yeah I know he gets more spells, I'm just wondering why would you want to use his spells over a more powerful familiar since I assume you get them regularly?

I don't know how it is in the full game but in the demo, I often find I can whittle down enemy's health far quickly using Oli's spells. Plus, on bigger enemies, you don't want to get too close to them because they'll win in terms of sheer strength. Spell provides a way to attack them safely from a distance.

You have enough money to buy this game, but you don't have $50 for a bigger hard drive? Because that's all it costs, they are just standard SATA laptop form factor drives.

What a stupid thing to say. Because $50 + whatever a hard drive costs is more than just $50? especially if this (like myself) is the first game hes bought for the ps3 in a long time. Wasting money on a hard drive aswell to play it is not cool.

danthefan

I don't know how it is in the full game but in the demo, I often find I can whittle down enemy's health far quickly using Oli's spells.Plus, on bigger enemies, you don't want to get too close to them because they'll win in terms of sheer strength. Spell provides a way to attack them safely from a distance.

In the demo I found when the forest boss was sort of staggered about the most damaging thing I could do was use a fireball on him with Oliver.

RPGCrazied

3 more days! And is GI the only low score? Seems all the rest are in the 9's. Also, watched the GT review, so many boss spoilers, if you don't want to see those, don't watch!

bigmac996

Can you get inside many houses/shops in the towns ?

Hey man. Unfortunately you really can't get in most of the houses (apart from your own place in Motorville I haven't been able to get inside any). Was kinda disappointed since in DQ 8 you could go raiding everyone's closets and stuff. You can totally go in all the shops, though. They're pretty noticeable with their elaborate storefronts.

Sushigod7

Hey man. Unfortunately you really can't get in most of the houses (apart from your own place in Motorville I haven't been able to get inside any). Was kinda disappointed since in DQ 8 you could go raiding everyone's closets and stuff. You can totally go in all the shops, though. They're pretty noticeable with their elaborate storefronts.

Ahh that kind of sucks I was hoping it was like that as well. Are there a lot of shops etc to go into still?

Gawd, the Eurogamer and GT reviews have me super hyped. For some reason, i thought this game had a really poor critical reception from japan, so I had sort of written it off - last time i was this caught off guard by a game was Mafia.

bigmac996

Ahh that kind of sucks I was hoping it was like that as well. Are there a lot of shops etc to go into still?

There are definitely a few shops. Not many, but they're all so well done. I've only gotten to Ding Dong Dell as far as towns go, and as far as I know right now you can only go into the cat palace, the inn, the hootique, the cawtermaster and the swift solutions place. Looks like there's a well to explore later but it's locked.

The outside is so beautiful though, it doesn't really matter!

Hey man! The exploration is great! I'm still near the beginning, but there's definitely lots to do. The world map is full of enemies and sparkly item things to pick up, while the locations you enter into are full of treasure chests and things. So far a lot of chests I've encountered have been "sealed by magic", so I've been taking notes on their locations.

Also, you can do side quests for people throughout the town (so far just fetch quests from ding dong dell that I've gotten), and it's interesting because unlike main quests, there are no markers providing any info on the location of the missions, so it's up to you to find em.

I did play Dark Cloud 2 in fact, and loved that game. I suppose it has a similar feel, being a Level 5 game but I'd say it has more in common with Dragon Quest 8 on PS2.

As for side-dungeons, not sure yet and I totally didn't know you can turn off quest indicators! I'm on that now haha.

I don't think you can speed up battle sequences as far as I know. As you level up the weaker guys die almost instantly, so that's pretty fast. I can check on this.

I am very excited to see some of the new locations like the snowy one you mentioned. I visited a ghost that told me about a far-off desert, which should be interesting as well!

I hope you enjoy the game! I know I do. And as for where I got the game, where do you live? I can pm you if you're in Canada.

Thanks man! I'm right outside Toronto, but got a WE preordered from Namco.

Any notable disappointments you have? Like, how you can't go into all houses, things like that?

bigmac996

Thanks man! I'm right outside Toronto, but got a WE preordered from Namco.

Any notable disappointments you have? Like, how you can't go into all houses, things like that?

No problem dude!
Other than that no real disappointments at all. It's a great rpg, and it feels like Ghibli down to the core which is exactly what I wanted.

No problem dude!
Other than that no real disappointments at all. It's a great rpg, and it feels like Ghibli down to the core which is exactly what I wanted.

So, can I come over, or what?

Edit: Oh, how many towns are there? I mean, there's the real world one, then the one in the demo in the other world, are there any more?

madhtr

I don't know how it is in the full game but in the demo, I often find I can whittle down enemy's health far quickly using Oli's spells. Plus, on bigger enemies, you don't want to get too close to them because they'll win in terms of sheer strength. Spell provides a way to attack them safely from a distance.

Hell, in the demo, at least the forest boss, I kept dying using my familiar, but whipped him running around throwing fireballs at him.

bigmac996

So, can I come over, or what?

Edit: Oh, how many towns are there? I mean, there's the real world one, then the one in the demo in the other world, are there any more?

Hahaha I'd totally offer but today I've gotta work.

Not too sure on the towns. I haven't sunk my teeth into the game very much, so I just know Motorville and Ding Dong Dell. I'm almost certain there are other towns though, there has to be!

Me too! I'm also Canadian! I'll bring beer!

Pretty damn tempting! Haahaha. If I wasn't working, I'd be down for sure.

jiggle

watching the eurogamer playthrough
was pretty impressed by the localization

graphically not as great as i remembered
until they hit the overworld
then :eek:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Seems like quite a number reserved Ni no Kuni at my local game store.

Top Bottom