• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Looks like Namco has charged me for my wizard's edition.. hopefully it ships soon..

Though I'm tempted to go buy a copy locally to play tonight .. if I can find one..

Lucent

Wow. I just saw this Japanese video and I guess the guy goes through almost all of the familiars. I set the video to a few seconds before the end so you can see the last one on his list is numbered 417.

Of course, that last bunch is gold. It'd be amazing if every one of those were unique, but I know that's not the case.

Eusis

What is up w/ 2013? This is shaping up to be one of the best years in gaming for this gen.

Maybe it's making up for how bland 2012 was. It isn't looking bad so far, if all the games that we're anticipating actually make it this year, and are as good as we hope.
Well, I think 2012 started really strong too as I recall, though this is preferable to FFXIII-2. Then again if Dark Souls II makes 2013 it means this year'll go out on a much bigger bang than 2012 by default.

madhtr

Wow. I just saw this Japanese video and I guess the guy goes through almost all of the familiars. I set the video to a few seconds before the end so you can see the last one on his list is numbered 417.

Of course, that last bunch is gold. It'd be amazing if every one of those were unique, but I know that's not the case.

Keep in mind that video is VERY full of spoilers. The familiars give away a lot of info, so be warned.

Lucent

Keep in mind that video is VERY full of spoilers. The familiars give away a lot of info, so be warned.

Yeah. I kind of hoped that people would read that I said it has pretty much all the familiars and that's another reason I made the video automatically start a few seconds before the end. I like to give people credit. =P

And I myself didn't watch all that. I just skipped to where I placed the video. I wanna be surprised as I catch them.

RussellXV

People seem excited for this game and it has been getting good reviews. I'm tempted to buy it, but is it for me? I'm not into Pokemon. I'm a fan of Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star Online, and recently got into Persona. Lost Odyssey was enjoyable as well. I own Dragon Quest 8, but I didn't really get into it.

zeopower6

Hmm, this game is more Tales-y imo than Pokemon (though the Familiar befriending is obviously kind of -insert monster collection game here- ish).

Maybe watch some reviews and decide if it's for you? I would point you to the demo, but a lot of people have issues with the lack of a tutorial and how it thrusts you into battle almost immediately.

RussellXV

Hmm, this game is more Tales-y imo than Pokemon (though the Familiar befriending is obviously kind of -insert monster collection game here- ish).

Maybe watch some reviews and decide if it's for you? I would point you to the demo, but a lot of people have issues with the lack of a tutorial and how it thrusts you into battle almost immediately.

I did check out the reviews, but I'm still not sure. I wasn't sure about Persona 4 either, but I became a fan after the first hour.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oh yeah.

wdD1RFs.jpg

jiggles

Banned
So does Mr. Drippy still have the wonderful Welsh accent in the US version of the game?

It was my birthday yesterday, so I think I'll take the PSN version as a gift from my sis tonight instead of waiting for the UK release.

Jealous of the US gaffers.. I'm staring at my calendar but 1st Feb isn't coming any sooner :( Wizard Edition will ease the pain, so long as Amazon don't screw up my order.

Played about three hours last night. Very impressed. This is a JRPG I could see myself actually getting into. Great and coherent story with beautiful visuals. I can see this easily being a classic.

Stuart444

Jealous of the US gaffers.. I'm staring at my calendar but 1st Feb isn't coming any sooner :( Wizard Edition will ease the pain, so long as Amazon don't screw up my order.

Wizards Edition and a bonus DLC familiar but the wait is painful :(

Hoping to get Digimon Adventure PSP finished before then along with some Uni work so I can relax and play this when it arrives <3

I am NOT trying to be a dick--I love Miyazaki lots, Howl's.... is on my top 200 film list--but this game is jaggier than fuck. Man, I think PCs have either jaded me, I was always this way, or something is just not clicking. I cannot stand the blurryness of this game and the jaggies with the subHD.... sigh. I don't know how to say it.

In my mind this was going to be a film-like masterpiece with clean lines and PC like quality. I honestly cannot even play the game because it makes me sick inside. Not the game really, just this unnerving feeling that it could have looked SO much better in the right dev hands. But in NA here, well, we have Broshooter 43 to look forward to so what am I even on about?

Just saying, I hardly even see a peep mentioned in this thread about the awful IQ of this game. Art direction looked amazing from what I played but I couldn't get through it. Just another opinion. Should mention I play on a calibrated 42 inch about 4 feet away but even on a smaller set at same distance it was too much for me. I can't handle dirty IQ anymore. It's like playing a PS1 game to me and know others feel the same way. I only post because this game was blowing my mind for so long the letdown was almost a trip in itself.

RPGCrazied

I am NOT trying to be a dick--I love Miyazaki lots, Howl's.... is on my top 200 film list--but this game is jaggier than fuck. Man, I think PCs have either jaded me, I was always this way, or something is just not clicking. I cannot stand the blurryness of this game and the jaggies with the subHD.... sigh. I don't know how to say it.

In my mind this was going to be a film-like masterpiece with clean lines and PC like quality. I honestly cannot even play the game because it makes me sick inside. Not the game really, just this unnerving feeling that it could have looked SO much better in the right dev hands. But in NA here, well, we have Broshooter 43 to look forward to so what am I even on about?

Just saying, I hardly even see a peep mentioned in this thread about the awful IQ of this game. Art direction looked amazing from what I played but I couldn't get through it. Just another opinion.

Is your TV broke? I didn't see 1 jaggy in the demo. You must be playing the DS game, or you have your settings on your PS3/TV wrong.

I have a calibrated 42 inch lol. This game is subHD and 2xMSAA I think which leads to tons of jaggies. Settings on TV don't reflect jaggies either as my sharpness is perfectly calibrated and is the only thing that would affect the 'perception' of aliasing.

Sorry, but I game on a high-end PC and there are jaggies everywhere in this game in comparison. Even compared to any 720p native game with 2xMSAA like U2.

Honestly, if you don't see jaggies you have no idea what aliasing is then I presume? I don't know what else to say. It is smack dab right there in all its ugly glory.

Wizards Edition and a bonus DLC familiar but the wait is painful :(

Hoping to get Digimon Adventure PSP finished before then along with some Uni work so I can relax and play this when it arrives <3

I just need to get cracking on it as soon as it arrives. I have two weeks of playing time before I'm out of the country for a little while, and without access to a PS3. Having waited so long to play it, I'm not going to be happy unless I've seen at least a fair chunk of the game before I go.

Willectro

Banned
I have a calibrated 42 inch lol. This game is subHD and 2xMSAA I think which leads to tons of jaggies. Settings on TV don't reflect jaggies either as my sharpness is perfectly calibrated and is the only thing that would affect the 'perception' of aliasing.

Sorry, but I game on a high-end PC and there are jaggies everywhere in this game in comparison. Even compared to any 720p native game with 2xMSAA like U2.

Honestly, if you don't see jaggies you have no idea what aliasing is then I presume? I don't know what else to say. It is smack dab right there in all its ugly glory.

So your PC is capable of better graphics than a 6 year old PS3? Shocking. I thought Ni No Kuni was going to be this years Crysis.

That is not what I meant and not even relevant to my post in that context. I had high hopes for this game. As it is I don't care for it. Not because of my PC.

You are telling me a decently knowledgeable dev, within the cell architecture realm, could not have this game to at least 720p native? Please. This is just another mediocre engine if you ask me coded by guys that didn't really care to fool around with the PS3. That is fine just sad it had to be used on this game though. Games like Eternal Sonata could not have been much easier to code and look better to me and that is old stuff.

Just saying, everybody in here acting like this game is so godly, and I agree in some respects, when it reality the IQ is pretty bad and it does hurt the presentation quite a bit IMO.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm an hour into the game. The game is overflowing with charm. I get a Grandia feel to this game but with the Studio Ghibli charm.

How'd you get it so early Ultros! ? 3 1/2 hours to go for me!

I live in another world where things can come earlier if they're in demand. :p

h3ro

Maybe this is a sign to take a break for a little bit.

RPGCrazied

I'm an hour into the game. The game is overflowing with charm. I get a Grandia feel to this game but with the Studio Ghibli charm.

I live in another world where things can come earlier if they're in demand. :p

Sounds like I need to move! Glad to hear your thoughts. You should post impressions! But by that time, I should be playing my copy.

Replicant

Why ask a question that you already know the answer to? The only jaggies I see here are in the vegetations when you get really close to them. If you can't stand that, how do you survive Tekken Tag Tournament 2 in all of its jaggies glory? Well, I know I couldn't. That's why I sold that game. But Ni no Kuni is relatively jaggy-less in comparison to some other titles out there.

The game is overflowing with charm. I get a Grandia feel to this game but with the Studio Ghibli charm.

That's exactly what I was hoping for. I think Skies of Arcadia was the last RPG I played that reminded me of the feel of a GameArts game. Those are still my favorite RPG's.

Played for three hours last night and did not notice any jaggies on my 47" 1080p TV. I don't even sit too far from it. Jaggies are really not an issue with this particular art style. I also have a high end PC hooked up to my TV.

So your PC is capable of better graphics than a 6 year old PS3? Shocking. I thought Ni No Kuni was going to be this years Crysis.

While not technically better than most high end PC games the visual style is nonetheless stunning.

RPGCrazied

Does this game run at 1080p? Is the 1080p logo on the back of the box? I only play on a 24" 1080p monitor, maybe that's why I'm not seeing jaggies on games when people do. Doesn't matter, its still a fine looking game to me.

It is sub 720p native sadly AFAIK with I think 2xMSAA as I stated. No way in hell this game is 720p native. My eyes are like razors. It's not like I am in here trying to get people to hate the game or anything. I just think this game would be a wonderful PS4 uprez but I doubt it will happen. Hope it does though.

For me this kind of artstyle doesn't suit jaggies at all. I can't see any definition in this game. Everything just looks blurry and jaggy to me. But that is my perception. I will admit I am about done with the console gen here. No, I am done. I don't plan on really getting a whole hell of a lot for my PS3 as I see no BC in the PS4 at all. Maybe I will give this game a run through when it gets cheap but I always say that.

zeopower6

Maybe the jaggies are all in his head?

There is a report that Wal-Mart has a Griffy Familiar in the game case like how Flutterby is in the Best Buy copies of the game. Don't know if it is true at all, though.

Received an email from Amazon where the apologized for the delay in shipping my Prima Guide. I'll probably receive it tomorrow as its now "shipping soon". Crazy that they sold out of their initial shipment.

Still haven't received my Griffy DLC code from Amazon, though. Hopefully it will show up in the next 24 hours. But Namco finally charged me for my WE.

That is not what I meant and not even relevant to my post in that context. I had high hopes for this game. As it is I don't care for it. Not because of my PC.

You are telling me a decently knowledgeable dev, within the cell architecture realm, could not have this game to at least 720p native? Please. This is just another mediocre engine if you ask me coded by guys that didn't really care to fool around with the PS3. That is fine just sad it had to be used on this game though. Games like Eternal Sonata could not have been much easier to code and look better to me and that is old stuff.

Just saying, everybody in here acting like this game is so godly, and I agree in some respects, when it reality the IQ is pretty bad and it does hurt the presentation quite a bit IMO.
I'm no pixel counter, but I'm pretty sure it's 720, or at least very close to it. You're making it sound as though its a CoD 640x480 situation, when it's not even close to that. The game is gorgeous on my 65" plasma.

Anyway, the game is great so far. 6 hours in but still no knowledge on how to catch familiars (though I think I'm reaching that point in the story next). Lol. Gonna be a long one!

No, the jaggies are not in my head. Some of you guys IDK man, you are jaded by the consoles or something. It's pretty obvious, as in the first 5 seconds I saw the demo, I knew it was running neg 720p or PostP AA. It really is that easy to tell.

I guess I am a bit crazed though. Ever since switching to PC I really cannot stand dirty IQ. This game is dirty and yes it would be completely fucking mindblowing in 1080p with 4xMSAA or SS or whatever.

At Beyond3D I think we were discussing this and we were at the consensus that it was sub720p. Maybe not. It looks blurry as hell to me and could be using a post-processing method for AA then. I was either or on that as it is hard to tell and I don't count pixels.

Please realize I sit 4 feet away from my 42 inch though.

Ricker

As long as there is no jaggies on the charm,I'm good to go ;) (just kidding orbitingcow,I know what you mean,I have a high end PC also but it doesn't bother me as much)...just a few hours now.

h3ro

It is sub 720p native sadly AFAIK with I think 2xMSAA as I stated. No way in hell this game is 720p native. My eyes are like razors. It's not like I am in here trying to get people to hate the game or anything. I just think this game would be a wonderful PS4 uprez but I doubt it will happen. Hope it does though.

Beyond3D Post 130
It looks pretty bad to me but I am playing on a nice 42 inch local dimmer about 4 feet away. Honestly, I can't really play games that look like this anymore. It is possible just not really fun or immersive to the point I get over it. Game does look a treat otherwise but I don't want to have to sit there and be reminded of all those flaws every time I move.

I mean let us be honest, 1080p and 4xMSAA would have made this game unbelievable. I will wait for a port to later gen or PC. Sad that this game doesn't get any PC love. Japanese devs are so far behind.
You already knew it was sub720p from your posts on Beyond3d in the beginning of January. If you haven't moved past the resolution yet and the game is making you ill, maybe you should play something else. This game's value seems to extend just beyond the visuals for those that have played/are playing the full version. The demo sold me on that as well.

Stuart444

Man, I'm jealous of you guys who have it now ;_;

10 days til it's released here... maybe the banned UK site will get me it a day earlier ;_; the 31st if I'm lucky.

I am absolutely appalled at Japan's lack of adoption to this title. Studio Ghibli plus a DQVIII -esque RPG with Pokemon sounds like a game Japan would love. Recently I have noticed that teh Japanese are becoming more and more hostile towards newer IP's and console games. I guess Japanese gamers are pretty much like Western gamers; one laps up COD, FIFA and AC the other drinks Mario and MH. I really wish we get to see more jrpgs like this on the consoles next gen.

I'm primarily a PC gamer. You're not the only one that can recognize these things. I'm pretty sure it's just 720p (or close), stretched onto your screen that gives the appearance of a sub HD image.

Well, no one there was sure. And sorry but this game still hurts me inside and I need to let GAF know. I will be okay. But I need the PS3 to go away real soon if they plan on any more stellar titles being released like this.

zeopower6

Jeez, are people really that picky about graphics? I don't think any JRPG that is made specifically for consoles would ever be made for the PC since there is no market over there besides maybe Ys or other Falcommy games.

I'm primarily a PC gamer. You're not the only one that can recognize these things. I'm pretty sure it's just 720p, stretched onto your screen that gives the appearance of a sub HD image.

I don't know man. Doesn't look at all like something like Eternal Sonata which is 720p. In fact, I am going with something about 15% less for this game. Easily could be wrong and it could be some awful post processing AA too.

Top Bottom