• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Well, no one there was sure. And sorry but this game still hurts me inside and I need to let GAF know. I will be okay. But I need the PS3 to go away real soon if they plan on any more stellar titles being released like this.

It just sounds like you're done with consoles to me. It's not like next-gen is going to offer the level of AA that you find on your PC. It's never going to be that way on consoles.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Today is the day, I should get this game in 3-4 hours and then sit at my desk staring at the clock for another 4 hours waiting to go home to play it. :(

Damn you DoctorWho! Where did you get it early? Is it that mom and pop around Dundas I've heard about?

RPGCrazied

Jeez, are people really that picky about graphics? I don't think any JRPG that is made specifically for consoles would ever be made for the PC since there is no market over there besides maybe Ys or other Falcommy games.

Doesn't bother me. Hell I still play SNES games. :) If you are expecting crysis levels of IQ you aren't going to get it on the PS3, or not even the 360. That's for PC's.

I don't play games for the graphics. Though one thing I hate is screen tearing. I won't play a game that has that.

It just sounds like you're done with consoles to me. It's not like next-gen is going to offer the level of AA that you find on your PC. It's never going to be that way on consoles.

I disagree. I can even handle 1080p and FXAA for those few games that don't even support SMAA injector.

Next gen consoles will be fully capable of SMAA or something close and 1080p for ALL games and that is decent I guess.

jwk94

You guys know you could get it at Wal mart or a 24/7 retailer right now right? That's what I did with uncharted 3 when my Gamestop wasn't having a midnight release.

Replicant

Well, no one there was sure. And sorry but this game still hurts me inside and I need to let GAF know. I will be okay. But I need the PS3 to go away real soon if they plan on any more stellar titles being released like this.

LOL. It's not like titles like this will ever get released on PC. There's just no market for it in Japan. So either you get used to console-quality graphic or well, play Crisis 3 and other PC games.

Stuart444

Jeez, are people really that picky about graphics? I don't think any JRPG that is made specifically for consoles would ever be made for the PC since there is no market over there besides maybe Ys or other Falcommy games.

Considering the threads where people talk about wanting PC graphics next gen (or something comparable), yes people are that picky about graphics. Even some casuals who just got into gaming this gen won't give older games a second look.

Though I admit, some games like this and Tales of games, I would love on PCs but there isn't a market for it in Japan so eh. Doesn't effect my enjoyment of these titles <3

Dnomes

Neo Member
Is there any noteworthy difference between the EU and NA version. Because then I would be tempted to buy it digitally NA.

zeopower6

That is pretty unfortunate. I feel like people should be happy with what they have instead of having so many demands/requirements of games or consoles, but eh. Cannot wait to get my copy of Ni no Kuni!!!

EU and US are pretty much the same except for the DLC.

Andrew.

Banned
Well the day has arrived. I'm sure being such a niche title GS will only get a few copies in. Gonna call at 10, reserve one and pick it up on my break.

Broke up with the girlfiend last night too. This will a great escape to detachment world and a fuckawesome way of moving on and forgetting about her. Perfect timing.

That is pretty unfortunate. I feel like people should be happy with what they have instead of having so many demands/requirements of games or consoles, but eh. Cannot wait to get my copy of Ni no Kuni!!!

EU and US are pretty much the same except for the DLC.

It's an art thing with me man. It's not about what is there, it is about what should be there. If Howl's Moving Castle was only available on DVD with intense aliasing I would not be okay with that. Why the hell would I want this game to be like that. It could have been a lot better with just a little more time spent on the Cell architecture. It is pretty obvious at this point not many japanese devs care to code for it and I can't say I totally blame them I just wish this game was done by another dev.

It's more my sickness with American games, and there being no equivalent to this, that deepens my confusion and apathy.

Do graphics on large screens really that bad? I am running games on 24" monitor with resolution scaling (yes balck labels on top&down do not bother me even with 16:10) and have no problem. Now I playing Eternal Sonata and all seems very pleasant for my eye.

Do graphics on large screens really that bad? I am running games on 24" monitor with resolution scaling (yes balck labels on top&down do not bother me even with 16:10) and have no problem. Now I playing Eternal Sonata and all seems very pleasant for my eye.

No, not necessarily. But if you game close to screen it will definitely take a larger space up of that screen obviously. I used to game on a 24 inch and the jaggies were just as bad to my eyes just smaller. I used to game just as you do on a Dell with 1:1 scaling. The resolution of the game really does affect bigger screens though. Games that looked okay on my old screen, especially sub720p ones, look like shit blown up on a 42 sitting the same distance away.

Bladenic

Lmao at this meltdown. Thank gosh I don't care about petty things like that or I imagine gaming would be a much worse experience for me.

zeopower6

Thank you for your responses?

The DLC is only familiars? Can they be acquired ingame? are they special in any way?

Kind of. The gold ones from the Wizard's Edition and the Prima guide (US printing only) are not available in game and were originally DLC with guides in Japan. The other two are new for the Western release of Ni no Kuni and were not in the Japanese game and also cannot be found in game.

Stuart444

Kind of. The gold ones from the Wizard's Edition and the Prima guide (US printing only) are not available in game and were originally DLC with guides in Japan. The other two are new for the Western release of Ni no Kuni and were not in the Japanese game and also cannot be found in game.

Hmm? Not in the Japanese game? That's new to me, which ones are them?

8byte

Banned
I am NOT trying to be a dick--I love Miyazaki lots, Howl's.... is on my top 200 film list--but this game is jaggier than fuck. Man, I think PCs have either jaded me, I was always this way, or something is just not clicking. I cannot stand the blurryness of this game and the jaggies with the subHD.... sigh. I don't know how to say it.

In my mind this was going to be a film-like masterpiece with clean lines and PC like quality. I honestly cannot even play the game because it makes me sick inside. Not the game really, just this unnerving feeling that it could have looked SO much better in the right dev hands. But in NA here, well, we have Broshooter 43 to look forward to so what am I even on about?

Just saying, I hardly even see a peep mentioned in this thread about the awful IQ of this game. Art direction looked amazing from what I played but I couldn't get through it. Just another opinion. Should mention I play on a calibrated 42 inch about 4 feet away but even on a smaller set at same distance it was too much for me. I can't handle dirty IQ anymore. It's like playing a PS1 game to me and know others feel the same way. I only post because this game was blowing my mind for so long the letdown was almost a trip in itself.

Posts like these make me roll my eyes. It makes you sick? Give me a fucking break, :lol.

zeopower6

Are the DLC familiars available already or what?

Griffy codes were mailed out to Amazon buyers last night and apparently Wal-Mart also has him but that is not confirmed, so yes, they are available. Flutterby is Best Buy only though with no reports of anyone getting it yet.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Griffy codes were mailed out to Amazon buyers last night and apparently Wal-Mart also has him but that is not confirmed, so yes, they are available. Flutterby is Best Buy only though with no reports of anyone getting it yet.

Flutterby is Futureshop as well but they are owned by Best Buy.

Man, I'm jealous of you guys who have it now ;_;

10 days til it's released here... maybe the banned UK site will get me it a day earlier ;_; the 31st if I'm lucky.

Ah that explains it, I was confused when i saw all these diffrent dates being banded around. Guess Ill go with banned site aswell for the slightly lower price and chance at a day or two early.

Andrew.

Banned

Oh okay. I meant if they were available on PSN. Sorry bout that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Stupid question, but are you serious? Can I really do that? If so, I might consider it. The 10 day wait is killing me here.

sure.

You'll need US funds though. If they are still available, bestbuy.com ships you the PSN voucher via email which is pretty good.

Andrew.

Banned
What I'm most excited about is to see how the story begins and how the game presents its tutorials with the battle system. The 13 minute explanation video on YT someone posted last really did a fine job and the narrator made it known that the way the game does show you the ropes is very, very well done.

RPGCrazied

2 hours to go! I shouldn't have watched the GT review. Most of the bosses got spoiled, seriously doubt those are regular fights. :p Oh well. The hype was to great.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Excited! So excited! I was tempted to play the demo last night for the first time but when I saw how long it would take I bailed.

I've only seen a few videos of this. Otherwise I'm totally pure going in.

Not even lol. A 42 is about right vision wise when you are 4 feet away as far as immersion IMHO.

I also felt no different when I gamed on my 24 inch Dell. It might have been slightly easier to handle I guess.

I'm pretty sure 4 ft is mad close, but alright. Whatever works
or doesn't work, obviously
for you.

jwk94

2 hours to go! I shouldn't have watched the GT review. Most of the bosses got spoiled, seriously doubt those are regular fights. :p Oh well. The hype was to great.
Thankfully already forgot who GT fought, lol. Just an hour to go until I get out of class and head on over to Gamestop. 30min walk in this cold but it's worth it for Ni No Kuni.

4 feet away is definitely at least 4 feet too close for a 42"

I don't even get what you are saying. This is totally preference. Have you ever gamed in front of a 42 inch tv? I could never go back to sitting on a couch ten feet away lol. The immersion factor goes up a ton imho especially for any kind of cinematic game. It is where we are headed anyway. More immersion, full human viewpoint.

As long as the picture does not strain your eyes I don't see any problem. Closer view equals more of the screen in my vision and more detail to my eyes.

Sadly, it also means some games look like complete shit. This one looks just okay. If there was 4xMSAA I might be able to handle it.

I don't think anyone can debate how godly this game would be if it were 1080p with supersampling up the bum.

Boss Man

So I've been waiting for another jRPG since I played my first one (FFIX). I was pretty disappointed when I couldn't find an airship to fly around and explore/find hidden shit with in FFX. Unlike most people here, I love really involved cutscenes. But more than anything, I think it's the world map and popping out into a scaled version of the game's world that puts all of the stuff you've been doing in the game into this weird context that you can now see from a different view. I love the idea of finding some forest where there is a 1% chance that you'll find something really awesome. I don't mind grinding for stuff like that. I miss roaming around between those tiny model towns, man.

Is this game for me? It looks like it is.

Stuart444

So I've been waiting for another jRPG since I played my first one (FFIX). I was pretty disappointed when I couldn't find an airship to fly around and explore/find hidden shit with in FFX. Unlike most people here, I love really involved cutscenes. But more than anything, I think it's the world map and popping out into a scaled version of the game's world that puts all of the stuff you've been doing in the game into this weird context that you can now see from a different view. I love the idea of finding some forest where there is a 1% chance that you'll find something really awesome. I don't mind grinding for stuff like that. I miss roaming around between those tiny model towns, man.

Is this game for me? It looks like it is.

So you like the ability to fly around a world map and a world map in general? Yes this is a game for you then.

I suggest trying out the demo if you're unsure, the forest demo after the boss/cutscene, you can head to the world map and get to see what it looks like (absolutely beautiful it is)

I don't even get what you are saying. This is totally preference. Have you ever gamed in front of a 42 inch tv? I could never go back to sitting on a couch ten feet away lol. The immersion factor goes up a ton imho especially for any kind of cinematic game. It is where we are headed anyway. More immersion, full human viewpoint.

As long as the picture does not strain your eyes I don't see any problem. Closer view equals more of the screen in my vision and more detail to my eyes.

My primary tv is a 42" panasonic plasma. Ten feet would be too far for me as well, I try to stay about 5-8 feet away for 1080p stuff. But for 720p I would need to be at least 8 feet away or stuff would start to look blurry. Blu ray content looks much better at 8 feet away than it does sitting close up as well

It is totally up to personal preference though.

Top Bottom