• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

TEJ

I don't get the story hate......Oliver is just a average 7-8 year old boy, you can't really expect a little kid to have incredible amounts of intellect and common sense when most adults lack this too.

He's very tolerable, brave even, when you consider
his mom just died
and he's out exploring an unknown world full of danger just for
the chance at bringing her back

It's not a masterwork of a story, but it's not something i'd get embaressed at if a friend or family member were to see a cutscene. So far, at least.

So people are hating on this now? I think it's fine as is. Not having any problems so far with the ai they usually kill everything before I do.

The way things usually go it'll be cool to hate on the game in the |OT| for a while but still trendy to namedrop it in Gaming at large.

Fuck it, I'm still having a blast.

Raw64life

A few hours in now and thoroughly enjoying it. It's the JRPG experience I've been longing for all generation. As a huge DQ fan the similarities are very much welcome. And the graphics.

But it's not without its hangups. Still getting used to the battle system. Weird how a lot of cutscenes will have voiceovers one minute and then nothing the next. The story is........I dunno, thank God for Mr. Drippy is all I can say. Only thing that has me keeping the English dub on. And it's disheartening to read that you apparently don't get any means of fast transportation until well into the game. The completist in me had to go back to all the areas and get all the chests and what not after completing the storyline events in Rolling Hills. Would have been nice to be able to just transport to the forest, castle, etc. Wish they would've taken a cue from DQ there.

Aeana

The way things usually go it'll be cool to hate on the game in the |OT| for a while but still trendy to namedrop it in Gaming at large.

Fuck it, I'm still having a blast.

I don't like this sort of attitude. People should feel free to share their real feelings about something - we don't need OTs to be fortresses of positivity. Everybody's different, so not everybody is going to like everything about the game. It's fine, and honestly welcome, because I'd prefer to have discussions about the good things and bad things than a love-in.

1stStrike

Banned
Weird how a lot of cutscenes will have voiceovers one minute and then nothing the next. The story is........I dunno, thank God for Mr. Drippy is all I can say.

I noticed a scene today where, in the same scene without anyone moving or anything changing, they went from fully voiced dialogue straight to text only. It was incredibly jarring, and they seem to do this throughout the game.

One of my biggest gripes and it really fucks up my enjoyment of the game as I'm constantly jarred out of it by all of this non-voiced dialogue. With the production values of this game there's no excuse to have so much of the dialogue not voiced.

I noticed a scene today where, in the same scene without anyone moving or anything changing, they went from fully voiced dialogue straight to text only. It was incredibly jarring, and they seem to do this throughout the game.

One of my biggest gripes and it really fucks up my enjoyment of the game as I'm constantly jarred out of it by all of this non-voiced dialogue. With the production values of this game there's no excuse to have so much of the dialogue not voiced.

There's at least one scene where they are in text, then go to voice for a single line, then go back to text.

TEJ

He doesn't look like a 13 year old.

It's like lymle, she's supposed to be 14 but she looks like a 5 year old.

zeopower6

There's at least one scene where they are in text, then go to voice for a single line, then go back to text.

That's just weird.

Also, for anyone who may forget, try to go back to Father Oak after every boss or major story event for some items/pages/new dialogue. He seems to give something different after every event and you can't get it if you beat another boss before heading back to report to him. Most of this stuff isn't too important like chocolate bars and so on since you can get it via other means, but for completionists, they may want to check back with him every so often.

I don't like this sort of attitude. People should feel free to share their real feelings about something - we don't need OTs to be fortresses of positivity. Everybody's different, so not everybody is going to like everything about the game. It's fine, and honestly welcome, because I'd prefer to have discussions about the good things and bad things than a love-in.

Having ill feelings twoards something is one thing, but hateing just to hate cause noone else is another. It doesent make you cool, instead you look like a jerk off while everyone else is enjoying theirselves. I mean why waste the energy? Why not go talk about something you do like? Being critical is always welcome but the buck stops here when your just out to be a dick.

Aeana

Having ill feelings twoards something is one thing, but hateing just to hate cause noone else is another. It doesent make you cool, instead you look like a jerk off while everyone else is enjoying theirselves. I mean why waste the energy? Why not go talk about something you do like? Being critical is always welcome but the buck stops here when your just out to be a dick.
That seems like a gigantic assumption on your part. How can you possibly know someone else's motives for posting negative comments in this thread?

Mikey Jr.

That's just weird.

Also, for anyone who may forget, try to go back to Father Oak after every boss or major story event for some items/pages/new dialogue. He seems to give something different after every event and you can't get it if you beat another boss before heading back to report to him. Most of this stuff isn't too important like chocolate bars and so on since you can get it via other means, but for completionists, they may want to check back with him every so often.

Im at the second town. That means i would have to walk ALLLLLLLL the way back. Fuck that.

Posted my Wizard edition unboxing video over on the digital river shit thread as well. For my neogaf buddies that didn't get a copy :( I say my peace on that crappy company! Now time to get back to the game! :D

I love figuring out using the shoulder buttons to change the menus. After figuring that out had a much easier time with combat.

1stStrike

Banned

That seems like a gigantic assumption on your part. How can you possibly know someone else's motives for posting negative comments in this thread?

My comments are mostly negative in this thread because it's been a negative gaming experience for me. There's too many flaws in this game for me to just look past them and nostalgia bomb like some others. I'm a very critical gamer and I simply cannot let Level5 get a pass on this stuff.

I don't believe anyone that's posted anything negative is trolling or has done so just to try to bring others down. The fact is, not everyone likes the game and opinions vary as they always do.

In fact, I kind of question anyone that says this is their GOTY or in their top 5. Again, it's a matter of opinion, but if you look past the graphics and music there's a multitude of flaws that I can't fathom how people are ignoring. But, I'm not going to troll everyone that says they like the game because they're entitled to their opinions and that's what the OT is for.

adixon

Whew, many hours later and the psn version is finally installed (finally had my wizard's edition cancelled today.) Here I go!

Aeana

My comments are mostly negative in this thread because it's been a negative gaming experience for me. There's too many flaws in this game for me to just look past them and nostalgia bomb like some others. I'm a very critical gamer and I simply cannot let Level5 get a pass on this stuff.

I don't believe anyone that's posted anything negative is trolling or has done so just to try to bring others down. The fact is, not everyone likes the game and opinions vary as they always do.

In fact, I kind of question anyone that says this is their GOTY or in their top 5. Again, it's a matter of opinion, but if you look past the graphics and music there's a multitude of flaws that I can't fathom how people are ignoring. But, I'm not going to troll everyone that says they like the game because they're entitled to their opinions and that's what the OT is for.
I'm happy you're posting your thoughts, but you might want to consider that things you view as flaws might not be seen as flaws by other people. Or at least the importance of those flaws is quite a bit lower for them than for you. For instance, in my case, the story doesn't bother me, and it's not really a major attraction/detraction at all. And to be honest, I'll take Ni no Kuni's somewhat uninteresting/uninspired story over some of the other stories we've had in Japanese RPGs lately.

I always jump in this thread after a session excited to gush and talk about it but lately it's been mostly negative around here. I'm not discrediting anyone's experience but so far it's been the perfect game to start 2013 for me. I don't know if its because I'm older but not everything has to be "The best game ever" for me anymore. Especially when there are so few traditional JRPG's around.

Game is great

Aeana

I liked Jeanne d'arc's story :(
That's pretty much Hino's worst story, as far as I'm concerned. I'm convinced it's some sort of big joke. It not only butchers Joan of Arc, it also manages to shove all kinds of shounen nonsense in there. But perhaps that's one of the reasons why you like it?

Well, I got a Bone Head in my party, and he's staying forever.

You might want to consider looking at a little bighorn. It has a lot of the strengths that the bonehead has (the resistance to physical attacks, especially), except it isn't weak to light damage.

zeopower6

It'd certainly have more positive feedback if more people had the game, lol. I feel like a lot of people are waiting on their Wizard's Editions atm so they cannot really comment on the game.

Exactly, I mentioned one thing about the aliasing in the game, from lower resolution and whatever kind of AA, and people jump on me like I'm some free hooker in a man camp.

No, it's your TV man, console games don't have jaggies. Can't see anything here sitting 20 feet away from my 32 inch!

Oh, you play 4 feet away. That's too near your screen, back up a bit.

OOOOKAY.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm happy you're posting your thoughts, but you might want to consider that things you view as flaws might not be seen as flaws by other people. Or at least the importance of those flaws is quite a bit lower for them than for you. For instance, in my case, the story doesn't bother me, and it's not really a major attraction/detraction at all. And to be honest, I'll take Ni no Kuni's somewhat uninteresting/uninspired story over some of the other stories we've had in Japanese RPGs lately.

Right, it's just a matter of what floats your boat. For me, I've always emphasized story quite heavily in RPG's and this definitely doesn't deliver in that department. I'm not interested in grinding, min/maxing, collecting stuff, crafting, etc. I just want to play a game with an enjoyable story.

Then again, I'm coming off having just completed Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue and Xenoblade, and those are some big shoes to try and fill.

That's pretty much Hino's worst story, as far as I'm concerned. I'm convinced it's some sort of big joke. It not only butchers Joan of Arc, it also manages to shove all kinds of shounen nonsense in there. But perhaps that's one of the reasons why you like it?

lol way to slam the poor guy down.......

Anyway if people could be more well rounded by critiquing the flaws but noticing the good it be alot more fun to talk about the bad or good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Right, it's just a matter of what floats your boat. For me, I've always emphasized story quite heavily in RPG's and this definitely doesn't deliver in that department. I'm not interested in grinding, min/maxing, collecting stuff, crafting, etc. I just want to play a game with an enjoyable story.

Then again, I'm coming off having just completed Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue and Xenoblade, and those are some big shoes to try and fill.

That's contradictory to your early statement of 'I don't see how anyone can consider this their goty or top 5'

Exactly, I mentioned one thing about the aliasing in the game, from lower resolution and whatever kind of AA, and people jump on me like I'm some free hooker in a man camp.

No, it's your TV man, console games don't have jaggies. Can't see anything here sitting 20 feet away from my 32 inch!

OOOOKAY.

serious question - do you have 720p checked in your ps3 video settings? I ask because some people a few pages back noticed that this game defaults to 480p if you only have 1080p checked, unlike other games that would upscale to 1080p by the ps3

I'm at the half mark of the game and my experience is mostly positive. I like the story even though it's not the greatest story out there, the somewhat free roam battle system, and the characters are pretty colorful by appearance and personality wise (I mostly like every character except Oliver, he's just kinda bland).

The only negatives I have for the game is the bad AI (which shouldn't EVER be a deal breaker, I'm on normal difficulty and can deal with it), the difficulty spikes, and the somewhat wonky battle system at times. Like I said I could go into detail but this is mostly the gist of it. Like I said before none of these problems are big enough to break the game for me, especially not the story aspect because I've seen worse JRPG stories before. Not to mention nowadays looking for a fresh new unexplored story in a JRPG is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I think this game's experience for you is depending mostly on how you approach it. My one friend played the demo and said no because the main character was a kid, and the monsters looked to cute that he saw it as... well you know. My other friend saw the battle system and thought that it would be as free as the Tales Of battle system but came out disappointed because he held the game's expectations up too much. Those are 2 example's of expectations being too high, one thought it would be totally free roam and the other saw the appearance and said no.

So yeah everyone has their different opinions on this game and that's a good thing. I don't think I've ever seen a game before that was 100% perfection with not 1 person who didn't have a bad experience.

Sealion88

ahh man was hoping to explore the world when i first got the ship, but then got my ass kicked by random mobs on some island in the west.

You think so? I find 10% money and no lost progress (well, experience and items, anyway) really generous.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. I died once, and almost freaked out because I was fighting random battles for at least half an hour before getting into that fight. Losing 10% of my gold was a pittance.

zeopower6

OOOOKAY.

No, I'm pretty sure you just came across as really annoying when that happened. It wasn't that you were mentioning the jaggies or whatever.

And yeah, some people have had an issue with it displaying in 480p instead of 720p if it isn't checked.

Eusis

No, I'm pretty sure you just came across as really annoying when that happened. It wasn't that you were mentioning the jaggies or whatever.

And yeah, some people have had an issue with it displaying in 480p instead of 720p if it isn't checked.
This sounds like the problem Resistance had waiting to happen again.

... Sony really should've opted for a good scaling chip for all they gushed about 1080p. Probably figured they'd tell the Cell to do it.

mr stroke

Enjoying the game so far, but damn the combat can be frustratingly hard sometimes. About 5 hours in and I have died 10 times already. Changing to easy mode :(

Does moving around the battlefield actually work? I am trying to run around and dodge attacks but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, monsters either catch up or cast a spell.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The story had no chance of being good since Hino wrote it. At least he didn't direct the game, so most of the other stuff wasn't under his control!
As trite as the script is (save the world, prophesized one, blah), the translator is doing God's work with what they were given. I think it's so full of character so far, expertly done.

Man, they weren't lying. This game is brutal. Just got the ship, and the boss battle that follows is just a crazy hike in difficulty. I Scaled down to easy, still way too tough. Is levels 17-20 for most of my familiars too low for this?

I guess it's time to grind....sigh....here I thought I could get away with the standard battles that came at me.

Eusis

As trite as the script is (save the world, prophesized one, blah), the translator is doing God's work with what they were given. I think it's so full of character so far, expertly done.
It probably helps that it seems Hino's mainly BLAND, not offensively bad like tri-Ace's SO4 staff seemed to be. 8-4's a great localization firm, yet that still read and sounded completely terrible when they were done with it. I suppose SE and/or tri-Ace could've been heavy handed to, but I like to imagine it was just horrible to an unsalvageable level.

Top Bottom