• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Durante

Might need to laugh at many posters while you're at it.
Well I agree with him. Either it gets much harder later (~10 hours in now) or people just aren't very good at using the game mechanics to their advantage.

I guess everyone should start by reading page 154 and 155 of the companion.

RPGCrazied

I've yet to consider the game hard, but maybe I'm not at the point where the game could be considered hard yet?
I just got the ship.

Yeah. Don't go to far into the waters, or you'll get owned. I found that out by going back to the volcanoe area and it got all dark. Barely made it out alive.

Eusis

I wonder what Level-5 is up to now, since this game is officially done.
They've been doing a lot of stuff, a good chunk released past this game's original Japanese date. Mostly on handhelds though, so if they have a dedicated console team busy with something else, yeah, good question actually.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
i-3mRKR9L-950x10000.jpg

Well I agree with him. Either it gets much harder later (~10 hours in now) or people just aren't very good at using the game mechanics to their advantage.

I guess everyone should start by reading page 154 and 155 of the companion.

Some battles get pretty tough.
The genie battle
in particular was a bit rough, and I've been pretty generous with levelling myself up. The battle system is... a bit unusual. The counter system isn't highly useable, but seems like it was built as an important feature. I'm getting used to it, but it definitely can be tough.

Man, they weren't lying. This game is brutal. Just got the ship, and the boss battle that follows is just a crazy hike in difficulty. I Scaled down to easy, still way too tough. Is levels 17-20 for most of my familiars too low for this?

I guess it's time to grind....sigh....here I thought I could get away with the standard battles that came at me.
I ended up grinding for a few hours after getting my ass kicked the first time I tried that battle. Turns out it was completely unnecessary, and I've been a little over leveled since.
You only need to take out half of his life for the battle to end.

Zia

Also, animals are aware of Drippy as well as Oliver's magic, so I guess the delusion theory is out.

Oh no, I didn't mean that it's all a delusion.
It's all "real" to Oliver, and will have tangible effects on the world around him, but the line between fantasy and reality is blurred as through the eyes of a child. It's the manifestation of a child's imagination, something Ghibli (especially Miyazaki) is really adept at, particularly in films like Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro -- one of the my favorite and best examples of this is in Totoro, when the Catbus, something only a little girl could dream up, whisks Mei and Satsuki away to see their mother. They leave a single, actual ear of corn on the windowsill as a gift. I think this also excuses how straightforward Oliver's quest is. He's such a tragically simple child, the "pure" one, and I think it suits him well.

i-Lo

Omg it happened again (two NNK threads one after another). Does this mean the universe is trying to tell me to get this game?

finally made it to the second part of the demo, Old Smoky.

unsure who thought that you needed mp to do magic parts in the game. some games ignore your MP. this game consumes your mp lol.

Andrew.

Banned
finally made it to the second part of the demo, Old Smoky.

unsure who thought that you needed mp to do magic parts in the game. some games ignore your MP. this game consumes your mp lol.

True, but what Ive been doing when that happens is just run off back to Deep Dark Woods and quickly re-up all my MP points at the immediate save point. Much better than staying somewhere or using consumables.

Ive only just beaten the first boss and heading into that Autumn-y colored forest though. Super levelled though. Already at level 10.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Argh I'm dying that I haven't had time to play this for longer than an hour each day!

I just entered the first dungeon.

Dinosur

Trying to catch a Turbanite for that first capture side quest when you're lvl 21 and everything on the map runs away at mach speed was not fun. Took at least half an hour if not more.

I've given up on babysitting the AI. Beat the
volcano
boss first try by just letting her die halfway through and finishing him off myself. It'd be nice if things like positioning and defending were global for the team.
Or like the Trial of Friendship where you control two things at once.
If 75% of a dude's attacks are cone AoE's from his front, stop frickin' standing in front of him dummy AI.

anddo0

Question about morphing your familiars.

Do you guys grind to get them back to a decent lvl?
Is it really worth it in the end?

I've morphed about 4 familiars so far. I think it's kinda dumb having them go back to lvl 1.. Unless I'm doing it wrong, grinding is the only way to make them good at fighting again.

I've morphed about 4 familiars so far. I think it's kinda dumb having them go back to lvl 1.. Unless I'm doing it wrong, grinding is the only way to make them good at fighting again.

I've been grinding to get them back up to a decent level and I think it does make a difference.

Dinosur

Yeah, and you want to stagger morphing them so you don't end up with a team of lvl 1's. I don't necessarily grind to get them back up, but I throw 'em in the 3rd slot and don't pull them out again until they're at least lvl 7.

depths20XX

I'm not very far in (about 5 hours) but I have a question.

How can you tell what familiar types are strong against other types? I look in the wizard book and it doesn't seem to say anything. Or if it does I have no clue what those symbols mean next to the familiars face.

I'm not very far in (about 5 hours) but I have a question.

How can you tell what familiar types are strong against other types? I look in the wizard book and it doesn't seem to say anything. Or if it does I have no clue what those symbols mean next to the familiars face.

It's the same system as some other level 5 games, but is not well explained in the game (except in the Wizard's Companion), and is being misunderstood by some posters on here.

Basically, it's like rock paper scissors: Sun attacks moon, moon attacks star, star attacks sun. There's some addition complexity, but that's the main thing you need. The rest is on page 154 of the WC.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's the same system as some other level 5 games, but is not well explained in the game (except in the Wizard's Companion), and is being misunderstood by some posters on here.

Basically, it's like rock paper scissors: Sun attacks moon, moon attacks star, star attacks sun. There's some addition complexity, but that's the main thing you need. The rest is on page 154 of the WC.

That information was in the demo. Is it really not in the full game? Or are people just not looking at the tutorial pages provided?

Zia

That information was in the demo. Is it really not in the full game? Or are people just not looking at the tutorial pages provided?

I really don't think people are taking the time to dig into the Wizard's Companion, which is a shame because it's as beautiful an in-game guide as I've ever seen.

depths20XX

I didn't play the demo. I remember in the game Drippy said something like "this is the Sun symbol, that's your familiar type". Well ok, but that doesn't explain anything to me. He's the sun type, so what. I just wanted to know the rock paper scissor formula, which I couldn't find in the wizards companion but apparently it's there somewhere.

I looked on the familiar pages which is where you would think it would be but didn't really see anything and those pages are honestly a tad confusing.

I suppose I may have missed it, but I was looking it for it because the system reminded me so much of Jeanne D'arc. Regardless, even if it is in there, it's coming up as a question so much in the community that Level 5 probably should have made it a bit clearer.

I'm getting the combat in this, and even liking it, but it definitely is a bit shaky.

I really don't think people are taking the time to dig into the Wizard's Companion, which is a shame because it's as beautiful an in-game guide as I've ever seen.

Guys, I appreciate when people want to dig in to the lore, but I shouldn't actually have to read a 150+ page book to understand how to play their game. It's a great feature no doubt, it just shouldn't be required reading in order to progress through the game.

I looked on the familiar pages which is where you would think it would be but didn't really see anything and those pages are honestly a tad confusing.

It is on the familiar pages, right at the beginning of the section.

My copy finally came in yesterday. Put a couple of hours into it and I think I'll be spending a lot of time with game.

Can't say much that hasn't already been said.

Aeana

Well, you don't have to actively grind. Just use another familiar and let that one sit out for a couple of battles. The new familiar doesn't need to be the same level as others to be as effective, especially if you raised its stats a lot before morphing.

It's in the game, in the wizard's companion and the talking stone.

Dinosur

Guys, I appreciate when people want to dig in to the lore, but I shouldn't actually have to read a 150+ page book to understand how to play their game. It's a great feature no doubt, it just shouldn't be required reading in order to progress through the game.

The Talking Stone is just a list of ~40 mini tutorial topics. You don't have to read through the Companion to figure things out (other than maybe food preferences).

Akainu

There is a hell of a lot of text in that wizard book. I can't believe I bothered to translate some things. I got Good Luck, Missing and Bring Hope.

Was gonna boycott this game after I got fucked on the WE (Got fucked on Dark Souls CE to, Namco get your shit together) but I caved and I'm glad I did. 20 hours in and now I need sleep.

One thing that I find strange is how anyone is calling this game hard. Granted i'm doing every side quest as it comes but still i'm sailing trough the game.

AwRy108

One thing that I find strange is how anyone is calling this game hard. Granted i'm doing every side quest as it comes but still i'm sailing trough the game.

Sounds like doing the side quests goes a long way to help moderate the difficultly. Glad to hear this b/c I plan on doing them, too; but I also hate grinding for grinding's sake.

AwRy108

Perhaps a little too much hand holding at the beginning, but it was welcome since I have not played a true JRPG in years.

Even if you have, the combat system in this game is unique and considerably more complicated than typical JRPG's, so I actually welcome the hand-holding while the systems are all explained.

Tadale

I was really, really impressed by Ding Dong Dell – every bit of that town was really well made and full of great little details.

For people farther in – are there many more cities similar to this?

Top Bottom