• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

I find Griffy a little upsetting. In his second form, at level 10, he's stronger than all my level 30+ second form familiars and my level 15+ final form familiars. He also looks cool and is huge.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So... how's the challenge in general outside of the difficulty spike? Is it merely a consequence of swapping your familiars on a continuous basis and using what they're strong against a la Pokemon/SMT, because that doesn't necessarily force a grind upon the player. That calls for monster diversity management. It's much like the idea of "no, you don't need to grind; you need to start using your buffs/debuffs now" in other RPGs.

I guess I'll pop this in for an hour before going to sleep. *shrug* I don't know why, but I don't feel incredibly eager to play it. This might be a reason: if there's a tactical menu in this, does it seem as though it doesn't do enough for the player for proper AI management?

I appreciate challenge that laughs at the notion of you grinding your way past it, something like MegaTen tended to be good about that. Maybe I'll be surprised here though.
Yeah, I like this sorta thing too.

Acrylic7

Enjoying the game so far, but damn the combat can be frustratingly hard sometimes. About 5 hours in and I have died 10 times already. Changing to easy mode :(

Does moving around the battlefield actually work? I am trying to run around and dodge attacks but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, monsters either catch up or cast a spell.

I'm playing on Normal and haven't died once. Or used single HP/MP healing item.

-Only fight with Mite right now. NEVER Oliver
-Don't both running, just stand and attack. Heal Orbs and Oliver's almost no-cost Healing spell will keep you going.
-make sure you have a decent weapon for Mite.
-Do ALL the side quests and then the Hunts last. Then spend you merit cards on abilities that will make your travels easy, like the increase of In battle MP/HP orbs.
-Grind a little, at least until some enemy's start to run away from you.

Aeana

So... how's the challenge in general outside of the difficulty spike? Is it merely a consequence of swapping your familiars on a continuous basis and using what they're strong against a la Pokemon/SMT, because that doesn't necessarily force a grind upon the player. That calls for monster diversity management. It's much like the idea of "no, you don't need to grind; you need to start using your buffs/debuffs now" in other RPGs.
Yes, that's pretty much it. The game isn't difficult at all if you're actually playing to the sign triangle and elements, etc.

I guess I'll pop this in for an hour before going to sleep. *shrug* I don't know why, but I don't feel incredibly eager to play it. This might be a reason: if there's a tactical menu in this, does it seem as though it doesn't do enough for the player for proper AI management?
The AI options are paltry. Fortunately, later in the game, you get access to the most important functions bound to keys: all-out defense and all-out attack.

The Lamp

Was completely clueless about the gameplay except hearing sorta Pokemon sorta Tales.

Now that I've been introduced to the combat system, wow. Just wow. It's only in the beginning but I can see how intricate and fun it's going to turn out.

This game reaks of polish. Every offensive trait of traditional JRPG's that I find distracting has been smoothed away. Everything is well-explained in the most simple and brief manner possible, there's a gorgeous, simple, uncomplicated UI and a charming yet deep battle system.

So far the story's been kind of cute but kind of rough around the edges in delivery, but Mr. Drippy steals the show as the most delightful character.

I'm 17 hours in, the only thing I am not enjoying is the heart system to mend npc's hearts. It only exists to build unimportant character lore and force you to walk back in force inside a town, there is no way to fail these mini-quests, it actually forces you to choose the correct heart trait. If this heart mending system were to allow you to fail, and those actions affected Oliver as a sort of good/evil system, that, would be awesome.

Other than that, it's been years since I've dat down with a game and not been bored within a few hours, I keep wanting to come back to it. This is also the first PS3 game I've bought on launch day!

mr stroke

I'm playing on Normal and haven't died once. Or used single HP/MP healing item.

-Only fight with Mite right now. NEVER Oliver
-Don't both running, just stand and attack. Heal Orbs and Oliver's almost no-cost Healing spell will keep you going.
-make sure you have a decent weapon for Mite.
-Do ALL the side quests and then the Hunts last. Then spend you merit cards on abilities that will make your travels easy, like the increase of In battle MP/HP orbs.
-Grind a little, at least until some enemy's start to run away from you.

so it sounds like trying to run and dodge attacks is completely pointless?

Aeana

Enjoying the game so far, but damn the combat can be frustratingly hard sometimes. About 5 hours in and I have died 10 times already. Changing to easy mode :(

Does moving around the battlefield actually work? I am trying to run around and dodge attacks but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, monsters either catch up or cast a spell.

Moving around doesn't work very well for dodging physical attacks - you'd primarily be wanting to do that to avoid area of effect abilities and to maneuver around behind enemies to reach weak spots later on. Timing defense is a much more effective way to deal with physical attacks and physical techniques.

i don't know if he's playing on easy or not but this hasn't been my experience. i've died a couple times on standard enemies because i didn't block when they charged up. it's a little bit of a cat and mouse game and you have to be quick about it. going through the golden forest or whatever something about the combat clicked with my and i was handling the enemies without too much trouble by constantly juggling switching out my familiars and getting "defend" ready. also, not every familar has a defend option. the monkey guy you get from the kid is more powerful but he has no blocking whatsoever. the mini plant guy has no blocking, only dodging, but you have to time it right because the dodge meter runs out fast.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes, that's pretty much it. The game isn't difficult at all if you're actually playing to the sign triangle and elements, etc.

The AI options are paltry. Fortunately, later in the game, you get access to the most important functions bound to keys: all-out defense and all-out attack.
Thanks. The demo gave me that impression, and since the penalty for death doesn't seem to be high like people are reporting in here, it seems like the game's pretty forgiving.

Shame about the AI options, though. :|

Moving around doesn't work very well for dodging physical attacks.
Level-5 seems to have done something good with Free Run that Namco can't? Quelle surprise.

Acrylic7

It only comes in handy during bosses. You pretty much have to use it then.
Or when you run into a new enemy that surprises you with its strength, like the big cactus enemy later on in the desert, but they soon become no trouble.

Stand and attack is the best thing I can recommend.

I've been playing this game nonstop. 14 hours so far and I got the game yesterday evening. Right now I'm at the
Cove. Right after the sandy area.
The reason it's taking me so long is because well... I'm really enjoying leveling my familiars and evolving them. Right now I have Mighty Mite, Dumbelemur, Sprout Sprite on Oliver. Not sure what to replace any of them with yet. Esther has Strongo, Bigger-Boggle, Floret. I don't really want Floret anymore though. Anyway! I am ADDICTED! I'm having so much fun.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
There's at least one scene where they are in text, then go to voice for a single line, then go back to text.

Are you referring to the scene just before the third boss? Oliver and Drippy are talking and then suddenly it breaks for just a second and Drippy audibly says "See!" and then it goes right back to text. Super lol.

madhtr

I'm not sure the problem y'all have had with running.... Almost any time I run, enemy attacks miss, unless they're using a skill, then I just defend. And yes, once all of your familiar slots are full, they go to the familiar ranch. It holds up to 400 of the little guys.

Finished "Deep Dark Woods" and ended up with a variety of Snacks for Mitey. Should I be feeding it all to him, or just sticking to Chocolate and hoard the rest for future familiars?

You get 3 reserve slots, other wise you will have to drop one you don't want in exchange for the new one.

Shit, you have to give your old familiars the boot to catch new ones? I'm sad to hear that. It's going to make me hesitant to experiment with new combinations.

Finished "Deep Dark Woods" and ended up with a variety of Snacks for Mitey. Should I be feeding it all to him, or just sticking to Chocolate and hoard the rest for future familiars?

Feed him what you want him to specialize in. Mite's a tank, so pack him full of attack and defense-raising snacks. You only have so many stat boosts possible per familiarity level, so don't waste your time with magic-raising snacks, for example.

I'm not sure the problem y'all have had with running.... Almost any time I run, enemy attacks miss, unless they're using a skill, then I just defend. And yes, once all of your familiar slots are full, they go to the familiar ranch. It holds up to 400 of the little guys.

Seriously? That's a relief.

And yes, I get a lot of use out of running in battle. It's helpful to put distance between yourself and an opponent before charging an attack, and enemy attacks will miss if you're not where you were a second ago. I'm not sure why this isn't working for everyone. I imagine it wouldn't be very useful for slow-moving familiars.

bodine1231

Shit, you have to give your old familiars the boot to catch new ones? I'm sad to hear that. It's going to make me hesitant to experiment with new combinations.

Feed him what you want him to specialize in. Mite's a tank, so pack him full of attack and defense-raising snacks. You only have so many stat boosts possible per familiarity level, so don't waste your time with magic-raising snacks, for example.

Seriously? That's a relief.

And yes, I get a lot of use out of running in battle. It's helpful to put distance between yourself and an opponent before charging an attack, and enemy attacks will miss if you're not where you were a second ago. I'm not sure why this isn't working for everyone. I imagine it wouldn't be very useful for slow-moving familiars.

If your reserved slots are filled,the extra familiars you catch get sent to a stable. You can swap them out at the manhole looking things by save points.

Mikey Jr.

Running works for me too. But it also depends on the enemy. If im fighting that chester chetah looking motherfucker in the desert, then i dont bother. But that enemy that looks like a cactus/green bananas? I take potshots because of that attack where he spins around. That shit hurts, so i attack for a few hits, cancel, dodge the spin move, etc. Works for me.

First party member get! I can tell there's going to be a learning curve here, and I've heard apparently to not trust the ally AI. Hope it isn't a problem.

Anyway, did anyone else start laughing when
Drippy started screwing around with the hat in Myrtle's room? Just thought it was hilarious it's supposed to be some heartwarming scene and Drippy is totally ruining it while Oliver gives him a "what the fuck are you doing?" look.

First party member get! I can tell there's going to be a learning curve here, and I've heard apparently to not trust the ally AI. Hope it isn't a problem.

Drippy started screwing around with the hat in Myrtle's room? Just thought it was hilarious it's supposed to be some heartwarming scene and Drippy is totally ruining it while Oliver gives him a "what the fuck are you doing?" look.

That's why Drippy is the true hero of this tale. Ollie'd be lost without him.

Mikey Jr.

My suggestion, swap out her familiar and give her the monkey. Her familiar is a magic user and she will spam that shit till she has 0 mp. You cant afford that at such a low level right now.

Edit. Also, whats this dlc people are mentioning? I bought the disc. The dlc on there?

Requiem

Wow, I completely missed this game! Just watched the IGN video review and I will definitely be buying this one next week. I've been longing for this type of old school JRPG and I think my prayers may have been answered!!!

How long is the games supposed to be? IGN says 40 hours but I'd like to hear it from someone else...

zeopower6

My suggestion, swap out her familiar and give her the monkey. Her familiar is a magic user and she will spam that shit till she has 0 mp. You cant afford that at such a low level right now.

Edit. Also, whats this dlc people are mentioning? I bought the disc. The dlc on there?

In Japan, there were a few waves of free DLC that were released for the original PS3 game which were then bundled an "All in One" edition released in summertime last year with three extra Familiars from the Ni no Kuni card game for mobile. We supposedly got the All in One edition localized but no one really knows how that DLC stuff is to be accessed since it became part of the normal game. (Easy mode was AIO-only.)

Is there any advantage/strategy in not allowing my familiars to metamorphasize Pokemon style?

If you get them to higher levels before metamorphasizing, they have higher stats as you level them up again after metamorphosis compared to if you do it immediately.

Acrylic7

So what is the best way to Morph your Familiars. Just wait until they reach their highest level, then Morph them?

At least 4 of my Familiars are ready to Morph. Should I just wait till they reach lv100?
This is the only part that confuses me.

zeopower6

So what is the best way to Morph your Familiars. Just wait until they reach their highest level, then Morph them?

At least 4 of my Familiars are ready to Morph. Should I just wait till they reach lv100?
This is the only part that confuses me.

That would provide the best stats later on, yes. They explain this in a Prima article about the subject. However that would take forever... though not all first and second forms max out at 99 which is good. It can vary from 25 and up for earlier forms.

http://www.primagames.com/games/ni-no-kuni/news/ni-no-kuni-familiar-metamorphosis

ekim

Is the game available for download on the US PSN? I don't want to wait till next week to get my hands on it. I guess I have to create a US PSN account?

It's just a partial install for faster loading and whatever else for the disc version. The digital version on PSN is 20 gigs. You need 40gb free on your PS3 so it can install and then it goes back down to 20.

ekim

It's just a partial install for faster loading and whatever else for the disc version. The digital version on PSN is 20 gigs. You need 40gb free on your PS3 so it can install and then it goes back down to 20.

ok thanks. If(!) I could download fullspeed from PSN the download should be done within 3 hours.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Damn this game is fun. The lore + pokemon aspects + world is really hitting with me. Its way better (so far) than what's been suggested before.

Although, lmao @ gameinformer acting like this game is difficult

Top Bottom