• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Ricker

Seriously? So Drippy suggests you actually avoid encounters? If so, I guess it must be normal... but I would have been shocked too.

Can you even run from battles in this game??

You can more easily on the world map,especially if you have the boots that make you run a little faster...but in the narrow corridor dungeons,it's almost impossible,unless of course they running away from you...and yes Drippy suggested that the first time I got out of the Grove.(just for that section for now)

Also getting a hit from behind or you getting hit is not really an advantage for anyone,by the time I send my familiar and choose the attack or spell,the ennemy is already turned around and if you are caught,you can still run around right at the start...

Derrick01

Banned
So is this game living up to expectations?

I'm leaning towards completely average so far. The difficulty can be somewhat tough in rare times but the game itself is pretty simple from a mechanics point of view. At least as far as I am the game always tells you exactly where to go for the main story objective which is very annoying and the story is really simple and not very involved at all. Truth be told I'm having a hard time....not necessarily staying awake I guess but it's more like staying focused enough to keep playing in long stretches. Like after 10-20 minutes I keep finding myself constantly pausing every few minutes and checking Gaf. It's not very mentally stimulating at all.

You can more easily on the world map,especially if you have the boots that make you run a little faster...but in the narrow corridor dungeons,it's almost impossible,unless of course they running away from you...and yes Drippy suggested that the first time I got out of the Grove.(just for that section for now)

Also getting a hit from behind or you getting hit is not really an advantage for anyone,by the time I send my familiar and choose the attack or spell,the ennemy is already turned around and if you are caught,you can still run around right at the start...

I feel like it takes them longer to attack you in that scenario, even if they've turned around. I might be imagining this.

I'm leaning towards completely average so far. The difficulty can be somewhat tough in rare times but the game itself is pretty simple from a mechanics point of view. At least as far as I am the game always tells you exactly where to go for the main story objective which is very annoying and the story is really simple and not very involved at all. Truth be told I'm having a hard time....not necessarily staying awake I guess but it's more like staying focused enough to keep playing in long stretches. Like after 10-20 minutes I keep finding myself constantly pausing every few minutes and checking Gaf. It's not very mentally stimulating at all.

Have you turned off the star guide?

Aeana

I really dislike when people keep passing off my legit criticism as "I hate everything". I didn't know about the star guide but knowing that now still doesn't affect the other criticisms I had.

Me too. I know you're infamous for having a lot of negative opinions, but so what? That's no reason to antagonize you in a thread where you're peacefully offering your viewpoint. It's happened at least four times in this thread now. People need to quit it.

Andrew.

Banned
I really dislike when people keep passing off my legit criticism as "I hate everything".

21,000+ pessimistic posts later and you've been done molding yourself out to be the most incessantly picky, hyper critical and hateful member of every game release on this forum. It's too late to start saying you dislike the fact we all realize this. You kinda put yourself out there when negative opinions are all you can come up with.

Mxrz

Couldn't find a retail copy anywhere nearby. Meh. Time to wait. If I knew the game had all this stuff in it, I'd preordered.

Does it feel like this game is going to be hard to find or become rare??
I'd hope not. If nothing else there'll always be digital. Sony can always push for more retail editions, but the CE is going to be expensive as all hell.

Does it feel like this game is going to be hard to find or become rare?
I've been watching the game for a long time. Maybe it's not fair but something about the look just makes me afraid it's going to be thin or too easy. However I know I'll end up with a copy so do you think I should hurry my ass up and snag one before it becomes a problem?

Aeana

I've been watching the game for a long time. Maybe it's not fair but something about the look just makes me afraid it's going to be thin or too easy. However I know I'll end up with a copy so do you think I should hurry my ass up and snag one before it becomes a problem?

It's hard to find right now. It's sold out most places. It seems like a new shipment will be hitting Amazon at least next week or so.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

On release day, I struck out at Best Buy and Future Shop, both of which had at least 40 copies, and got the last copy at Wal-Mart. It's going to be hard to find, probably soon. Of course, the PSN version will always be available.

OMG at this game. I've only played 56 minutes of it, and I'm just in love. <3 I can already tell that the story is going to be amazing, because it's already interesting. Mr. Drippy is so much fun to listen to. He is making me hate not getting the Wizard's Edition even more, since I don't have his plushy. I absolutely love the graphics in this game, especially on the world map, so so nice. It looks like some kind of painting. I can't wait to play more of it later on, and I'm so glad that I was able to get a regular edition at GameStop today. :)

lingiii

Banned
Just started last night. Only just got to
summoning my Mite.

Christ is this game earnest. It's really refreshing. I'm playing it alongside DmC and loving the contrast. Excited to dive deep this weekend.

Oh that's what that meant? Jesus it's so obvious now, thanks. That should improve the game a little bit at least.

Cool, I hope it makes the world more interesting to explore. I just got to
Al Mamoon
without it and haven't ran into any trouble, but I hope the game doesn't force me to use it somewhere down the line with some impossible to find objective. I appreciate they gave us the option to turn it off, but hopefully the later game isn't designed around its use.

21,000+ pessimistic posts later and you've been done molding yourself out to be the most incessantly picky, hyper critical and hateful member of every game release on this forum. It's too late to start saying you dislike the fact we all realize this. You kinda put yourself out there when negative opinions are all you can come up with.

Dude, lay off.

Derrick01

Banned
Me too. I know you're infamous for having a lot of negative opinions, but so what? That's no reason to antagonize you in a thread where you're peacefully offering your viewpoint. It's happened at least four times in this thread now. People need to quit it.

Thank you. I don't feel like I said anything out of bounds or unfair except for being wrong about the star guide which I admit to, but I still have other criticisms. I don't even "hate" this game, it's just not lighting my world on fire either.

Well in his defense and from the other side of things, I tend to be more forgiving and enjoy a plethora of games. Which annoys the hell out of people too. So I can see where he is coming from in a way. He just is a bit more critical and points flaws out moreso. It's all good. I don't claim a game doesn't have the flaws but will say I still enjoy alot of games regardless of said flaws.

My 8 year old daughter and I are loving this game. She's been taking the controls and doing some of the side quests and a lot of the battles for me. Good times.

This is awesome. I was planning on showing the game to my nieces.
They just watched Howl's Moving Castle with me a couple weeks ago, so they should enjoy the animated parts, at least.

On release day, I struck out at Best Buy and Future Shop, both of which had at least 40 copies, and got the last copy at Wal-Mart. It's going to be hard to find, probably soon. Of course, the PSN version will always be available.

Screw Digital : )
Well I guess I should check the local stock and see if I can get a copy on the way home.

Christ on his throne! You guys weren't kidding. It's out across a dozen BestBuy's in a 25 mile radius...except one that's not far from where I work. Hopefully I can swing by and grab it and not have to grab a clerk and explain the name of the game and what it is. I feel too old to tell some teenager 'no, it's Ni space No space...'

Screw Digital : )
Well I guess I should check the local stock and see if I can get a copy on the way home.

It will be pretty interesting to see how digital downloads impact the aftermarket value of small run rarities like this. Where before your only option was the limited amount of physical copies, now only collectors will care about physical media if it's available for less as a download.

Christ on his throne! You guys weren't kidding. It's out across a dozen BestBuy's in a 25 mile radius...except one that's not far from where I work. Hopefully I can swing by and grab it and not have to grab a clerk and explain the name of the game and what it is. I feel too old to tell some teenager 'no, it's Ni space No space...'

Take a slip of paper with the name of it ;P

i was wondering how often new tasks and hunts come up... i did all the tasks and went abck to the guy and there was nothing new. still ahve to do the first hunt - not sure yet where to find it. gotta serach search search.
once you accept the hunts they are marked on the map with a blue dot.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

This is exactly how it went when I picked it up.... "Kneeno Kuni? Nothing coming up guess we are out.." LOL

Jarekx

Enjoying the game so far. Probably 8 hours in but I can tell the grind will be a bit annoying. The comments the party members make as they come into battle is a bit annoying as well. The story isn't anything fantastic, but it's an enjoyable little fairy tail and I wasn't expecting anything more.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Just picked this up at best buy during my lunch break. They only had 3 copies in stock and luckily, never brought them out to display, so they were just chillin' in the back. Whew.

Mikey Jr.

I'm finding it hard to give a shit about other familiars.

The mite and the monkey you got at the beginning of the game are my staples. I'm finding it hard to use anything else. I have a few familiars in my stable, but I can't be bothered to bring them out and use them.

Enjoying the game so far. Probably 8 hours in but I can tell the grind will be a bit annoying. The comments the party members make as they come into battle is a bit annoying as well. The story isn't anything fantastic, but it's an enjoyable little fairy tail and I wasn't expecting anything more.

Personally I'm about 12 hours in and I haven't been forced to grind yet. I've done every side quest so far but very few of those have required me to actually fight anything. I've just fought every enemy in my path so far and I've been fine (playing on normal).

Anyone know if there's an unlockable hard mode?

Eusis

I'm glad difficulty related trophies seem to be getting phased out, it undermined what was probably one of the smartest design changes that was popularized this generation, the ability to dynamically change difficulty. I've gotten over the OCD for the most part that kicked in when considering it (combo of some resentment to what achievements/trophies have done for mentalities and the fact sometimes a game just frustrates me too much), but it was a shame to be deterred with the threat of losing achievements/trophies.

Top Bottom