• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Bread

Banned
just popping in to say that this is basically the first jrpg i've owned since FF1 for the NES, and i love it. this shits tidy.

This game. So good. I've been playing so many shooters and action games. It feels so good to finally play a proper console JRPG this gen. I just got
the ship.
I can only imagine more good things are ahead. So much fun.

Am I leveling up my familiars wrong or something? Whenever I level one up and use them in battle they usually suck. I tried to use this Zomby familiar after leveling him up to 25 against my current lvl area and he was downright terrible. He has the best equipment and still takes damage like crazy and deals out damage that is pointless 5-8 damage.

Is their something extra your supposed to do for these familiars or something, or is this just the game or the familiars themselves?

zeopower6

Am I leveling up my familiars wrong or something? Whenever I level one up and use them in battle they usually suck. I tried to use this Zomby familiar after leveling him up to 25 against my current lvl area and he was downright terrible. He has the best equipment and still takes damage like crazy and deals out damage that is pointless 5-8 damage.

Is their something extra your supposed to do for these familiars or something, or is this just the game or the familiars themselves?

Hmm, it's possible that the area you're in is strong against his celestial sign? (sun -> star -> moon)

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
My copy just showed up today! Gotta finish Skyward Sword first but lord I can't wait to wash that game out of my mouth with something that doesn't actively hate its own audience.

Mr.Fresh

Any one know the Magic Words to open the
Cauldron
at the third town? My niece decided to play when I went to the bathroom and I have know idea what to do.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
My copy just showed up today! Gotta finish Skyward Sword first but lord I can't wait to wash that game out of my mouth with something that doesn't actively hate its own audience.

I hope you liked a lot of the pointless text in Skyward Sword.

jiggles

Banned
Holy shit at the spice merchant
reciting Spice Girls lyrics
, haha.

The little touches in this game put it in a class of its own. Even right down to the creature names, there's been so much thought stuffed in to every little corner. It really fills you with the same sense of wonder and discovery Oliver himself is supposed to be feeling as he explores the magical world around him.

I love this game.

Acrylic7

now its getting a tad more difficult. Died trying to fight a Golem looking thing during a Hunt.
Swain and his Familiar are useless so far.

what Familiars is everyone using?

Aeana

The hurly is not a very good familiar in the early game, it gets a lot better after morphing. I would suggest giving Swaine your thumblelemur to start out with.

one_kill

What's the difficulty like in this game and how hard is it to learn the mechanics?

I'm not particularly fond of RPGs, especially complex ones, but I'm really interested in this game.

RPGCrazied

now its getting a tad more difficult. Died trying to fight a Golem looking thing during a Hunt.
Swain and his Familiar are useless so far.

what Familiars is everyone using?

2nd form mite
2nd form bonehead (named him skeletor, lol :p)
2nd form zombie

That's for Oliver. I'm still using GoGo on the girl. GoGo is a great healer. And is a great familiar during a certain boss fight.

What's the difficulty like in this game and how hard is it to learn the mechanics?

I'm not particularly fond of RPGs, especially complex ones, but I'm really interested in this game.

It is not a complicated game. It can be challenging for some, but honestly there's no problem in this game that grinding a little can't fix. You can of course overcome a lot with strategy, though.

IMACOMPUTA

For anybody on the fence ;
I used to love jrpgs back in the snes/psx days. Ever since then I've tried so hard to play the cool new jrpgs and just can't get into them anymore. The closest anything came to holding my interest was persona 4, but I just couldn't stick with it.

This. Game. Changes. Everything.
It came in the mail last night and I stayed up late playing it. I woke up this morning for work and decided to use a vacation day instead. I played this game for 12 hours today.
And I fucking love it. I wish I didn't have to go hang out with an out of town friend right now so I could keep playing it.
The town and characters actually remind me a lot of Zelda games. (Oot more specifically)
The pacing has been great so far and it's just such an enjoyable experience. I will most certainly finish this game and I will be sad when its all over.

I'm so addicted. And grinding a lot. Leveling up familiars that I don't plan to use because of how awesome the XP system is. Oh yeah. Also, I named a Stingray familiar that I captured "Croikey". Does this make me a bad person?

Necrovex

I finished some homework, so I had the chance to play a bit of Ni No Kuni tonight.
I just cured the guard of his lack of enthusiasm.

I am barely into the game, but I am starting to see the potential of the battle system.

Im the same way but im really enjoying this game, im usually to impatient to learn things in rpgs but for some reason ive been digging into everything the game has to offer. Theres a demo up on the psn store.

zeopower6

Keep in mind that unlike the demo which is pretty tutorial-less, the actual game eases you into things pretty slowly (so much that some people are really bothered by it) just in case anyone is interested in the demo/has played it and was dissatisfied by the lack of any guidance.

h3ro

Having a brain fart right now, but how do I pull up battle tactics?

I used them earlier and didn't touch them for a while and would like to make some changes but for the life of me, can't recall how to do so on the battle screen.

I think it's a sign that I've put too many hours in today.

Having a brain fart right now, but how do I pull up battle tactics?

I used them earlier and didn't touch them for a while and would like to make some changes but for the life of me, can't recall how to do so on the battle screen.

I think it's a sign that I've put too many hours in today.

It's on the battle menu of the leader character (Oliver/Esther/Swain), alongside attack, provisions, etc.

1stStrike

Banned
Keep in mind that unlike the demo which is pretty tutorial-less, the actual game eases you into things pretty slowly (so much that some people are really bothered by it) just in case anyone is interested in the demo/has played it and was dissatisfied by the lack of any guidance.

When he says slow, he means it. The first 2 hours of the game is spent mostly in non-vocal tutorial sections with half or more of the lines without voice overs, so you have to read through tons of stale text.

I'm one of those bothered by it :p

That's cool, be bothered by it. It's just a slow intro to the game. What about the stuff after that, huh? Yeah, it's amazing! The more stuff they add, the more fun things get. It's a nice build up. Right now the game is so incredibly fun, I haven't had this much fun with a game in ages.

h3ro

It's on the battle menu of the leader character (Oliver/Esther/Swain), alongside attack, provisions, etc.

Thank you so much. I was doing everything short of putting in the Konami code during battle trying to have it pop up. Never thought to actually cycle through the commands.

Time for a break...

After I level up this gold Hurley some more.

Johnas

Man, having trouble finding this game.

Trying to avoid Gamestop, simply because I have Best Buy and Target gift cards I'd rather use.

Is this a limited release? Hopefully I can find a copy soon.

zeopower6

Man, having trouble finding this game.

Trying to avoid Gamestop, simply because I have Best Buy and Target gift cards I'd rather use.

Is this a limited release? Hopefully I can find a copy soon.

Most of the first pressing seems to have sold out. Hopefully stores can restock in then ext week or so!

one_kill

Im the same way but im really enjoying this game, im usually to impatient to learn things in rpgs but for some reason ive been digging into everything the game has to offer. Theres a demo up on the psn store.

It is not a complicated game. It can be challenging for some, but honestly there's no problem in this game that grinding a little can't fix. You can of course overcome a lot with strategy, though.
Thanks for the answers! I'll probably get it when it comes out here in Australia :D

zeopower6

When he says slow, he means it. The first 2 hours of the game is spent mostly in non-vocal tutorial sections with half or more of the lines without voice overs, so you have to read through tons of stale text.

I'm one of those bothered by it :p

I was actually expecting that though since I had to cave a few months ago and watched an entire playthrough of the beginning. I can't wait to play it myself. Reading isn't too much of a chore, really. People would have skipped through all the vocal sections anyway, lol.

http://www.ign.com/maps/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/world

Kind of spoilery, but this Google Maps style map of the Ni no Kuni world is pretty awesome.

1stStrike

Banned
I was actually expecting that though since I had to cave a few months ago and watched an entire playthrough of the beginning. I can't wait to play it myself. Reading isn't too much of a chore, really. People would have skipped through all the vocal sections anyway, lol.

I always listen to the vocal sections, since that's where the real character building is done and it's much more entertaining to hear them speak the lines. Also, it is an absolute chore to read Drippy's lines when he's not voicing them since they keep in all of the slang. Plus, the transition from voiced to non-voiced is usually awkward an unnatural.

zeopower6

I always listen to the vocal sections, since that's where the real character building is done and it's much more entertaining to hear them speak the lines. Also, it is an absolute chore to read Drippy's lines when he's not voicing them since they keep in all of the slang. Plus, the transition from voiced to non-voiced is usually awkward an unnatural.

In my experience, it's mostly like -voiced line kind of starts- -> you finish reading before they're done -> you press the text advancing button (X or O), but everyone experiences these kinds of things differently :/

Skilletor

I caved and bought it after playing the demo. Stopped after getting to the area in the demo. I had the biggest grin when I saw the world map. I haven't followed this game at all, so I wasn't expecting it. Love the look of this game. <3 ghibli

Any way in-game to tell which familiars are early risers/late bloomers/normal growth? Contemplating buying the guide for stuff like that if not. Seems like that would be helpful but I haven't had a chance to even start the game yet

Okay, fuck the last puzzle in the
Test of Wits
. Spent an hour trying to solve that on my own only to have to look up the answer. Not sure if the hint was poorly worded or I'm just a moron.

Top Bottom