• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Downhome

Ok, really quick...

I just started looking into this game. Visually, it has blown my mind. I also love long, flowing, epic stories in any sort of media. I am not, however, a huge fan of turn based RPGs. I do love action RPGs though. What say you? Is it worth taking the chance? I would hate for the basic game as well go OOP down the road then not be able to play it at all if it may suit me. I have $60 in Christmas money ready go go.

Help me GAF!

Cornbread78

I finally booted the game up last night and wow... beautiful.

Is it me, or is the game's opening just like most epic Disney stories... i.e. Finding Nemo?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, really quick...

I just started looking into this game. Visually, it has blown my mind. I also love long, flowing, epic stories in any sort of media. I am not, however, a huge fan of turn based RPGs. I do love action RPGs though. What say you? Is it worth taking the chance? I would hate for the basic game as well go OOP down the road then not be able to play it at all if it may suit me. I have $60 in Christmas money ready go go.

Help me GAF!

Well seeing as this really isn't a turn-based RPG I'd think you're good to go.

Speaking of questions that have probably been answered, I glanced over the trophy guide and noticed nothing seemed missable, which is cool.

But what about items and stuff? Is anything important missable?

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah, I've never cared for trophies either. Yet, there's people that will flip their shit if there's a game that doesn't have them. I've seen some serious nerd rage over trophies.

I just cant believe it's to the point where they can actually dictate the purchase of a game. Pretty sad really. Not tidy whatsoever.

Hurry up 5:45. I need to go beat animals with my wand.

I just cant believe it's to the point where they can actually dictate the purchase of a game. Pretty sad really. Not tidy whatsoever.

I'm just going to assume none of this was related to my post, otherwise you took it in a weird direction.

RPGCrazied

27 hours in! Keeps getting better and better. And I still have like 2 continents left to visit! I just got
the travel spell!

Wish you got it sooner.

Beren

Wow and to think i almost didn't play this wonderful journey!

This morning finally the game was fully downloaded at 6am, now at 6:30pm i am still playing lol! even skipped work :O

I love everything , and battles are fun! well the only thing i don't like 100% is Oliver's voice , but omg the game is beautiuful there is so much stuff to see and to do. Haven't found any difficult spike but i keep my familiars well feed and everyone fully equipped, companion AI seems to work very nice so far too.The story so far is nothing that would win an oscar but is good enough to move me a little sometmes :)

I am very happy! i will catch them all and evolve them all! :)

adixon

Anyone else feel a little guilty beating Ghibli creations to death with a stick? I know it's par for the course in any combat focused rpg, and different ones handle the occasional narrative dissonance differently, but something about the combination of thought and detail put into the creatures, their cuteness, and the way they exist to be beaten to death feels odd.

They need to exploit that angle for people who hate the childlike fantasy aesthetics; you get to beat Ghibli animals with a stick, step right up.

The animation in the beginning is amazing -- better than some non-Miyazaki full length Ghibli films, I'd say. In-engine cutscenes are the best I've seen but the life in the animated cutscenes still makes the engine stuff feel a little cold. Story has some Level 5 over-exposition and awkward cuts/pacing, but also some really strong moments. Hard to know what to feel because of the game working on so many different levels, sometimes brilliantly and sometimes stumbling. Drippy really helps keep the pace moving. The actor speaking fast is a really good thing I'd say.

White Man

The text and text speed in the game is really nagging me. I'm only ~2 hours in but I hope this is like Persona 4 and it kinda picks up and moves away from the "continuous cutscene-ish" first impression.

Liking the combat so far.

zychi

Banned
Preordered the german version

just to clarify, the German version's book is in English, and and the disc is ntsc?

anyone out there who wants to purchase a copy of the game from me? I now own two versions of the disc(Regular US retail and German ntsc in a few weeks). You can have your choice of either version. I think one has a colored version of the incase manual? I'll sell and ship which ever you want for $50.

bodine1231

I'm finding it hard to give a shit about other familiars.

The mite and the monkey you got at the beginning of the game are my staples. I'm finding it hard to use anything else. I have a few familiars in my stable, but I can't be bothered to bring them out and use them.

I agree. I'm 15 hours in and am still using those same familiars. There isn't any way of telling if a familiar is gonna be any good or not. Also it takes to damn long for under-leveled or newly morphed characters to catch up to to Mite so they are constantly under-leveled.

Aeana

I'm finding it hard to give a shit about other familiars.

The mite and the monkey you got at the beginning of the game are my staples. I'm finding it hard to use anything else. I have a few familiars in my stable, but I can't be bothered to bring them out and use them.
I guess there's nothing really wrong with that, you're just gimping yourself since there are so many really great familiars out there.

I agree. I'm 15 hours in and am still using those same familiars. There isn't any way of telling if a familiar is gonna be any good or not. Also it takes to damn long for under-leveled or newly morphed characters to catch up to to Mite so they are constantly under-leveled.

Sure there is. Look in the wizard's companion at the ability lists for the evolutions to get an idea of how a familiar will shape up. Granted, it doesn't tell you everything (especially not resistances, which is a big thing - love familiars with physical resistance like bighorns and boneheads!), but it's a start.

RPGCrazied

Wait until you can get a robot and zombie type. I'm using mitey, zombie, and the skeleton warrior on Oliver.

I will agree on hating having to start over when you morph them.

Few questions, im about to head into the desert and was wondering when you can start taming familiars and how do they morph? Do these things come along with the story line?

Aeana

Wait until you can get a robot and zombie type. I'm using mitey, zombie, and the skeleton warrior on Oliver.

I will agree on hating having to start over when you morph them.
You're not really starting over. A morphed level 1 is already fairly strong, especially if you waited a while before morphing. The longer you wait to morph a familiar, the better starting stats and stat growth rate it will have.

Don't put so much stock in level, look at stats.

RPGCrazied

You're not really starting over. A morphed level 1 is already fairly strong, especially if you waited a while before morphing. The longer you wait to morph a familiar, the better starting stats and stat growth rate it will have.

Nice to know. :p I morphed the monkey when it was mid 20's, but the robot I did right at 15.

Aeana

There's no revive spell or item?
There is a revive spell, and there is a revive item. The item is phoenix feather, they cost 500G. There's several different spells. The thumblemur gets an in-battle revive in one of its third forms, for example.

I'm sure they have to get to a higher level for the final form.

Think most of them get there last form around 30ish, some earlier some a little later. Also need the drops specifically for the final forms. Not sure if there is any point in the story that allows the third forms, levels are just what the guide shows.

Ok what was that about counter attacking? Are they talking about the exclamation point?

There will be a little blue bubble looking thing around the actual attack command the exact second something attacks, which is when you are supposed to actually use the command.

It is pretty hard to use it reliably off of reactions, most of the ones I end up with are on accident really.

Akainu

There will be a little blue bubble looking thing around the actual attack command the exact second something attacks, which is when you are supposed to actually use the command.

It is pretty hard to use it reliably off of reactions, most of the ones I end up with are on accident really.
I see it now. But it looks like it's only showing for certain monsters. I'm in the forest on the way to the desert and it only flashes for the pigs.

I see it now. But it looks like it's only showing for certain monsters. I'm in the forest on the way to the desert and it only flashes for the pigs.

Pretty sure it works for anything, I know I have cancelled alot of enemy spells and skills even. Like I said though most of mine end up totally on accident so can't help you a whole lot on the exact details part.

Top Bottom