• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Mikey Jr.

Most of the first pressing seems to have sold out. Hopefully stores can restock in then ext week or so!

Does level 5 usually discuss how their games do? I really really hope it does well because they said if it does well, they would look at a sequel. Seems like its doing good based on scarcity, but that could because they understocked. Its also on psn, so thats good.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, fuck the last puzzle in the
Test of Wits
. Spent an hour trying to solve that on my own only to have to look up the answer. Not sure if the hint was poorly worded or I'm just a moron.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but the hints weren't poorly worded. Which one caused you the trouble?

zeopower6

Does level 5 usually discuss how their games do? I really really hope it does well because they said if it does well, they would look at a sequel. Seems like its doing good based on scarcity, but that could because they understocked. Its also on psn, so thats good.

They mentioned the DS version since it sold pretty well (500k~ overall but this included a lot of discounted ones since it took up a ton of shelf space)... but the PS3 one was never mentioned.

We may get a sequel with an adult protagonist if this does well... here's hoping! :) I hope it's on the PS4 at least if it happens. ;_;

I don't want to sound like a jerk but the hints weren't poorly worded. Which one caused you the trouble?

I'm a moron, then. I can accept that.

It was the one
where you have to arrange the statues on the tiles marked with suns, moons, and stars. I thought the hint did a poor job of describing exactly how they wanted you to "connect" them (do they have to be connected in a straight line? Does a statue have to connect to tiles with multiple lines?), and also omitted the fact that certain tiles had to be empty and that there were multiple solutions.
Felt trial-and-error-y to me, but as I said I'm apparently not as smart as I think I am.

They mentioned the DS version since it sold pretty well (500k~ overall but this included a lot of discounted ones since it took up a ton of shelf space)... but the PS3 one was never mentioned.

We may get a sequel with an adult protagonist if this does well... here's hoping! :) I hope it's on the PS4 at least if it happens. ;_;

save money for them so ps3 but if they work on ps4 now they can make more games for ps4 and they'd know how the system works and all. who knows.

Yeah it looked great going by the preview Amazon sent out. Seems like they don't have any copies at the moment and it's like $40 at gamestop. As soon as amazon gets more i'll probably grab one

I picked the strat guide up from Gamestop with the game and the guide was like $35 after tax. It lists for $39, but they were running some kind of promotion, or it was the Powerup Rewards card. Who knows?

jwk94

Without spoilers, does the ending of Ni No Kuni leave room for a direct sequel? Or would they have to go the disgaea route with a Ni No Kuni 2 that has little to nothing to do with the first game?

zeopower6

The blue/pink/green Familiars (blue rabbit with a sword, cat-like pinkish magenta thing with a bag, and green mage that is small/round) that came from the Ni no Kuni Daibouken Monsters mobile game seem to have been removed from the Western version of the game. I think you're supposed to just get them from some NPC in the Japanese version, but they're completely absent this time around. A shame, really. Maybe they will be PSN DLC?

http://www.ninokuni.jp/books/index.html

They are featured in the PDF here. I really wanted to use the blue rabbit! In addition to their removal, it seems that they changed some Familiar gifts to later on in the game and also took out some purchasable Familiars that were in a shop of some sort for the All in One Edition.

madhtr

So comparing the regular Hurley with the gold variant, the gold version has higher attack but lower defense. I gave
Swaine
a second level Bonehead. It has worked well.

Aeana

So comparing the regular Hurley with the gold variant, the gold version has higher attack but lower defense. I gave
Swaine
a second level Bonehead. It has worked well.

Bonehead and thumbelemur are great for him. A little later on, a tin man is not a bad way to round him out. Covers his affinities pretty well.

Balphon

Okay, fuck the last puzzle in the
Test of Wits
. Spent an hour trying to solve that on my own only to have to look up the answer. Not sure if the hint was poorly worded or I'm just a moron.

I solved the first puzzle through pure trial and error since I didn't even realize there was a hint.

Felt kinda dumb afterward.

The blue/pink/green Familiars (blue rabbit with a sword, cat-like pinkish magenta thing with a bag, and green mage that is small/round) that came from the Ni no Kuni Daibouken Monsters mobile game seem to have been removed from the Western version of the game. I think you're supposed to just get them from some NPC in the Japanese version, but they're completely absent this time around. A shame, really. Maybe they will be PSN DLC?

http://www.ninokuni.jp/books/index.html

They are featured in the PDF here. I really wanted to use the blue rabbit! In addition to their removal, it seems that they changed some Familiar gifts to later on in the game and also took out some purchasable Familiars that were in a shop of some sort for the All in One Edition.

Shame, that rabbit is really cool-looking. I see a few people in this thread using them as avatars, too. Shame they might not be able to play as them.

Welp, just unlocked the ability to recruit more familiars. Preparing myself to be overwhelmed by choice. I love so many of them.

I solved the first puzzle through pure trial and error since I didn't even realize there was a hint.

Felt kinda dumb afterward.

Haha, took me a minute to realize I could ask for a hint, too.

Now able to catch familiars. Trying to decide which ones to use is overwhelming, just like Pokemon! I already regret choosing the one Professor Oak gave me.

Are the allies wasting MP going to be a big problem later on? Starting to get worried the AI is just that shitty, and I don't want to give all the teammates physical only familiars.

Aeana

Now able to catch familiars. Trying to decide which ones to use is overwhelming, just like Pokemon! I already regret choosing the one Professor Oak gave me.

Are the allies wasting MP going to be a big problem later on? Starting to get worried the AI is just that shitty, and I don't want to give all the teammates physical only familiars.
For what it's worth, none of the ones you get to choose at that point are particularly worthwhile.

And yeah, allies are either going to use no MP or all of their MP with no real in-between. Fortunately, blue glims drop fairly often if you've got the merit badge upgrade, and the AI is at least generally smart about going for them.

Go for Bonehead (Shimmering Sands), and Little Bighorn (Old Smoky) to start with.

For what it's worth, none of the ones you get to choose at that point are particularly worthwhile.

I'm only ten hours in at present, but do you know any particularly awesome familiars that I can nab later on? I wanna know what to keep an eye out for.

And yeah, allies are either going to use no MP or all of their MP with no real in-between. Fortunately, blue glims drop fairly often if you've got the merit badge upgrade, and the AI is at least generally smart about going for them.

Well that's disappointing. Literally the only problem I've had with the game so far. Won't bring it down too much, but I won't be able to give it a 10/10 anymore like I wanted to.

Wish the AI was more like Tales characters and allowed you to cut them off from using mp after a certain point or just a general order to mix it up.

Played the demo...I was blown away by the character visuals, it really is like controlling a Ghibli character. I played it with my girlfriend who's a Ghibli nut, she liked the characters but that's about as far as it went for her. I think this looks cool but I know I don't have a stomach for Level 5's style of game design any more so I'll pass, but I think it's definitely something everyone should see.

zroid

Banned
baaahhh haven't played at all in the last couple days due to [reasons]. tomorrow I'll try to get some quality time in.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

Really? My partner avoids glims like the plague. I was hoping there was something in the tactics panel like "Gather Glims".

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I CAN STILL HEAR THE MUSIC.

Seriously, it's burrowed into my brain.

It's funny how a lot of people think the same, as soon as i saw Bonehead and Little Bighorn i knew they be ballin. Glad I was not wrong.

johnsmith

remember me
ibkYKztlDFe3wt.JPG

Mikey Jr.

Really? My partner avoids glims like the plague. I was hoping there was something in the tactics panel like "Gather Glims".

If there is a sequel, the combat NEEDS to be reworked. I kinda wish there was a patch to address some of my major gripes. Doubt that is gonna happen. Ohh well.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
If there is a sequel, the combat NEEDS to be reworked. I kinda wish there was a patch to address some of my major gripes. Doubt that is gonna happen. Ohh well.

I'd be real happy if they included some way of setting up tactics outside of battle instead of forcing me to babysit the AI every fight.

Nakiro

So is it possible to catch Mite in the game? Since all the familiars have two forms on their third evolution can you fill out the whole list? Would some spots be left blank because you chose one evolution over the other?
I can see this bugging me and my OCD...

pahamrick

So is it possible to catch Mite in the game? Since all the familiars have two forms on their third evolution can you fill out the whole list? Would some spots be left blank because you chose one evolution over the other?

Yeah, there's at least one island where you can fight Mite as well as the Monkey familiar you're given.

Beren

yes i read somewhere that you can catch more mites :)

Bread

Banned
what did you guys pick for your first merit reward? i went with jackpot, i figure that should help a lot in the future against bosses.

mr stroke

About 7 hours in and not sure how I feel about the game. On one hand the Art style, music, and voice acting are amazing. On the other hand the grinding, respawning, and story suck. Every time a cut scene happens I can't seem to care what's going on. Nothing about the story or characters are compelling so far.

Gonna give another 3-5 hours before I bail out, I hope it gets better as I really want to like this game.

Beren

Definitely. Even basic ones like "if MP less than 50%, dont use offense magic/tricks."
That alone would be a god send.

I believe this is a bit buggy, maybe just a hud bug because i set Esther to provide backup/attack same target once and then i saw the thing reset on the next fight but she was providing backup, so i didn't mess with that anymore, then after hours i went to check the AI settings and provide backup/attack same target was there again checked, so i believe it works but the hud is messed up :s

Too sleepy played like 20 hours straight all i see is Mite poking things so if i made lil sense excuse me lol D: (going to sleep!)

Daedardus

The sequel would probably take a while and come out on next-gen consoles, so I think that the AI could improve a lot.

Top Bottom