• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Ferr986

I'm loving the game and the story is intriguing but can't help but wish I was playing with Nier and Weiss.
2B is so boring and bland and the YoHRa looks all kinda lame, I have a hard time taking them seriously. I wish they had more variety in their designs, like the Resistance ones.

Nuke Soda

I'm loving the game and the story is intriguing but can't help but wish I was playing with Nier and Weiss.
2B is so boring and bland and the YoHRa looks all kinda lame, I have a hard time taking them seriously. I wish they had more variety in their designs, like the Resistance ones.

You can use a Weiss skin for your pod, but sadly it is not Weiss.

IKizzLE

This game went from 0 to 100 real quick. Routes A and B were an easy 7/10 for me but it feels like the real game actually starts at route c. I can easily see how people can just say fuck it early on, especially since it took like 25 hrs for some real heavy shit to happen.

T.O.P

Banned
Routa A finished, dat ending theme goddamn :')

Started B and while i'm enjoying it i'm confused by something
Am i actually supposed to hack everything
iVHfwLc.gif

or what? i'm doing absymal damage compared to 2B with regular melee

Also, i totally missed
Iron Will
on my A route...am i fucked?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Routa A finished, dat ending theme goddamn :')

Started B and while i'm enjoying it i'm confused by something
Am i actually supposed to hack everything
iVHfwLc.gif

or what? i'm doing absymal damage compared to 2B with regular melee

Also, i totally missed
Iron Will
on my A route...am i fucked?

Use his spear moveset also Throw spears like a mad man

Alternatively use fist

RulkezX

I'm enjoying the game a lot , but for all the praise heaped on P* for their combat......It'seems flashy as fuck but there really doesn't seem to be all that much depth to it.

The side quests have been awful MMO style deliver this / go here and kill this / return quests so far as well which has been the only real negative so far.

DSix

Banned
So... I finihsed route A and I found it thoroughly mediocre.

The plot is paper thin, the combat is passable but lacks depth, the world feels very empty and uninteresing. The sidequests were terrible MMO stuff.

By the talks I'm hearing, it seems the game doesn't get good until route C. Is it true? or should I stop here?

Almost done with Route B I think (At least I'm close to where Route A ended.)

I haven't played any of Yoko Taro's previous games but I always hear they have a great story, setting and music but bad gameplay. And I dunno, I wouldn't call the gameplay in this game bad overrall but it's definitly the worst aspect. Combat feels good, Platinum got that right, but it's so simple, and mindnumbingly easy. The sidescrolling dungeons and especially the bullet hell segments are worse, because there's still no challenge, but they feel even more limited with the stuff you can do. Just tedious. And enemy attack patterns are pretty simple too.

Doesn't help that the game is just drowning you in various health recovery chips, which I guess you could just not use, but I don't believe in self-imposed challenges like that.

Maybe it gets significantly better in Route C?

Ruff

The plot is paper thin, the combat is passable but lacks depth, the world feels very empty and uninteresing. The sidequests were terrible MMO stuff.

By the talks I'm hearing, it seems the game doesn't get good until route C. Is it true? or should I stop here?

Honestly if the game doesn't interest you enough to ask if you should keep going you're probably not going to enjoy the other 60% of the story

Moaradin

It's good from the start. It gets a lot better in route C, but considering that you think the quest that have very great writing and worldbuilding are MMO quality then I'm not sure how much more you're gonna get out of the game.

DSix

Banned
It's good from the start. It gets a lot better in route C, but considering that you think the quest that have very great writing and worldbuilding are MMO quality then I'm not sure how much more you're gonna get out of the game.

How are the sidequests deep? All I've seen is go kill that/go find that, and come back. I did not bother doing them once I understood this, so maybe I've missed some good sidequests?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How are the sidequests deep? All I've seen is go kill that/go find that, and come back. I did not bother doing them once I understood this, so maybe I've missed some good sidequests?

does telling people to make you like a game ever worked out for you? You dont like the themes of Route A, you wont like any of the themes in the rest of the game. If you dont like the writing or combat, you wont like the rest of the game. And thats fine, you dont have to like it just because its the flavor of the month (I mean that just as an expression btw)

T.O.P

Banned
I'm enjoying the game a lot , but for all the praise heaped on P* for their combat......It'seems flashy as fuck but they're really doesn't seem to be all that much depth to it.

It's mostly a really good upgrade/evolution to the Nier Replicant's combat, but yeah they didn't exactly make a Bayonetta 3 (nor people should've been expecting that i guess)

Shahadan

You're missing the point so there is probably nothing people can say. It's just one of those things.
Just drop the game it won't get better for you

Thats is pretty much what every RPG sidequest is. The difference is the packaging.

Final Fantasy XV has horrible sidequests, because there is pretty much no backstory or context. "There's a monster, go kill it, here's your reward, bye".

Yakuza 0 has incredible sidequest because they're all bundled together with these elaborate and funny sidestories.

Nier Automata has some good stories to go along with the quest but it's more of a minimalistic approach sometimes.

The quest in all three games are pretty much the same fetch quest and kill stuff quests if you just focus on the core gameplay, but the packaging makes a whole lot of a difference. if that's not to your liking then there is no sidequest in existence that will satisfy you.

OniBaka

Sounds like you went in with the intentional on hating. You should stop playing and give a user score of 0 in meta critic.

Ferr986

Some of you sound a little defensive guys. There's some good stuff in the quest but a lot of them are fetch quests mechanic wise.

I mean, it was the same with Nier 1, there were a lot of standard MMO quests with only some of them being really good.

True Fire

Almost done with Route B I think (At least I'm close to where Route A ended.)

I haven't played any of Yoko Taro's previous games but I always hear they have a great story, setting and music but bad gameplay. And I dunno, I wouldn't call the gameplay in this game bad overrall but it's definitly the worst aspect. Combat feels good, Platinum got that right, but it's so simple, and mindnumbingly easy. The sidescrolling dungeons and especially the bullet hell segments are worse, because there's still no challenge, but they feel even more limited with the stuff you can do. Just tedious. And enemy attack patterns are pretty simple too.

Doesn't help that the game is just drowning you in various health recovery chips, which I guess you could just not use, but I don't believe in self-imposed challenges like that.

Maybe it gets significantly better in Route C?

It sounds like you're ignoring the story and themes. If you never look at Automata beyond the surface level you're never going to like it.

You've played 33% of the game, and the plot hasn't even started. Keep playing.

Y'all sound a little defensive guys. There's some good stuff in the quest but a lot of them are fetch quests mechanic wise.

I mean, it was the same with Nier 1, there were a lot of standard MMO quests with only some of them being really good.

I mean, I skipped most of the sidequests and watched them on youtube instead. I definitely think the game is better off if you avoid revisiting areas and backtracking, but the sidequest writing is too good to miss out on at the same time.

Ferr986

I mean, I skipped most of the sidequests and watched them on youtube instead. I definitely think the game is better off if you avoid revisiting areas and backtracking, but the sidequest writing is too good to miss out on at the same time.

Yeah I mean I didn't finish Route A yet so I can't talk about all the sidequests, but so far I've been doing them all and it's exactly like Nier 1, some good some fetch quests.

I don't think saying "you don't get it" or you went with "hating the game since starting it" is a good advice. If you played Nier 1 (or Drakengards) you know , as you said, you must play past Ending A to get the story (well, dunno how it will be in Automata but I guess it will be the same).

I've seen a lot of people on GAF finishing ending A of Nier 1 and thinking it wasn't that great, then changing opinion after finishing B.

It sounds like you're ignoring the story and themes. If you never look at Automata beyond the surface level you're never going to like it.

Let me take out my virtual text marker and revisit my post again.

I haven't played any of Yoko Taro's previous games but I always hear they have a great story, setting and music but bad gameplay. And I dunno, I wouldn't call the gameplay in this game bad overrall but it's definitly the worst aspect.

Okay, I guess I'm not really saying how I actually feel about the story here, so to clarify, I really enjoy the story and world building so far. Just not the gameplay all that much.

Finished Route C tonight. Amazing game imo. I really liked the gameplay, excellent soundtrack, it was lots of fun and creative. I generally do not even care a lot of storylines in games, but I even found the story compelling. It restored some faith in this generation for me actually. For the guys who think they've seen it all in the first ending, please continue to play it to the third play through. It has a lot more to show.

It's mostly a really good upgrade/evolution to the Nier Replicant's combat, but yeah they didn't exactly make a Bayonetta 3 (nor people should've been expecting that i guess)
Check out some of the combo vids on youtube. It's actually quite deep with some crazy cancels and wire pod antics.

Stayed up late last night and finished route A. Damn the last stretch was intense. Haven't had a series of satisfying boss fights that climactic since Bayonetta.

Excited to see what revelations await in Route B...

ToKre

how far am i from ending A
i just "killed" Adam and saved 9S

i saw a
troll merchant that runs around yelling stuff in some youtube video and it seem he has good things to sell how do i get him?

Menome

Another newbie question: I've got a bunch of stuff accumulating in my inventory now. How much of it is actual junk? I've been told elsewhere to hold on to the
Desert Rose
and
Boar/Moose meat
for upcoming side-quests, but aside from that, is it just stuff with 'Sell to merchants' in the description I can get rid of?

Baalzebup

how far am i from ending A
i just "killed" Adam and saved 9S

i saw a
troll merchant that runs around yelling stuff in some youtube video and it seem he has good things to sell how do i get him?
Well, you've already met him during the story line, so now you just need to locate him in the City ruins. He will be randomly moving around at either near the entrance to the desert, the entrance to the Resistance Camp or the area you where you initially landed in the city after the prologue.

And you're somewhere in the 80-85% mark.

Freeman76

Some of you sound a little defensive guys. There's some good stuff in the quest but a lot of them are fetch quests mechanic wise.

I dont think anyone was being defensive, all the replies were saying is that if he hasnt liked what he saw up til that point, its probably not going to change.

If anything it comes across as people being real with him in a respectful way, which is great to see after some threads on GAF lately.

aravuus

Speaking of soundtrack, I just realized why I love the factory theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oagcgy_HaCo) - it really reminds me of UT2k4 lol, particularly the first couple of minutes. I loved that game when I was younger, getting massive nostalgia vibes.

I expect Persona 5 to win the OST fight for me, but so far Automata's OST has been by far the best of the year.

Baalzebup

I get the complaints that most of the side quests aren't mechanically all that interesting, consisting mostly of the usual "Go to A, gather B, go to C, gather D, go to E, kill F" stuff, but the good stuff is in what surrounds them. The little stories, the chats, the occasionally humorous follow-up reports on the completed quest logs, the foreshadowing for future reveals and the sometimes curve-ball ways they end.

heringer

Side quests are fetch quests, no doubt about that, but they are excellent for world building. The writting is good and sometimes legitimately funny/touching. I'm usually not big on completing side quests, but with Nier Automata I really want to do most of them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and Route B down. Thoughts and spoilers ahead:

So yeah that felt like "anime filler" for lack of a better term. Mechanically (this is still a videogame afterall) the 9S action was much worse than 2B (hacking got old fast), to the point where I just skipped a lot of combat, the added cutscenes with the machine stories didnt do much for me, except the added Adam and Eve ones, I liked those. I was hugely disapointed that the portion when they get split up near the end was reduced to more hacking minigame, you still dont even see how the fuck Adam even got 9S, and overall it just feels like unnecessary padding that added little to the story except 8 more hours to the game. Even the new sidequests were mostly bad sicne it was a lot of hacking shit (I did like the one with the killer android that didnt know she was a killer, that was one of the best ones in the game). Also, the big twist (humans are extinct) felt flat because... I was already assuming humans were extinct >_> Wasnt that the whole point with them constantly talking about how humans used to act and dress and shit?

Also, whats up with the 2 girls when 2B is choking 9S? Hopefully thats explained later.

Still excited for Route C tho.

edit: ooh that Route C tease at the end :3

edit: seems my save is at 25 hours so thats 15 for Route A, 10 for Route B so far. The only sidequest I havent done yet (well at least that shows up on the map) is the race one, really dont like race stuff :(

heringer

Also, speaking of side quests, I'm nearing the end of route A and finished about 30% of them.

When I start route B will the side quests change? If I want to 100% them, I have to do it in route A or can I complete the remaining quests in routes B and C?

Ruff

Also, speaking of side quests, I'm nearing the end of route A and finished about 30% of them.

When I start route B will the side quests change? If I want to 100% them, I have to do it in route A or can I complete the remaining quests in routes B and C?

Each route has some unique quests, but you should be able to do most if not all shared quests each time. Completed ones will stay completed but any in progress will completely reset even if you've almost got the end of one, either way you will be able to do every quest by the end regardless so don't worry about being locked out forever.

Shahadan

Yeah if you're in the middle of some quests you should complete those. You don't want to pay 50k again or fetch materials again like I did, lol.

patapuf

Progress in sidequests carries over to the next playthrough.

So yes, you can complete them later.

Top Bottom