• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Okay I'm doing this credits shooter sequence....holy shit the back end of this shooter thing is intense. Does accepting a rescue request affect anything? Cause I don't know if I can beat this by myself. MARKETING DIVISION is too stronk.

There's no shame in asking for help. No one can carry the weight of the world.

TissueBox

Okay I'm doing this credits shooter sequence....holy shit the back end of this shooter thing is intense. Does accepting a rescue request affect anything? Cause I don't know if I can beat this by myself. MARKETING DIVISION is too stronk.

Do it...
one is never alone.
;)

Sami+

Fucking Adam keeps one shotting me, god damn.

Gonna just wimp out and buy a shit ton of HP+ chips cause man I can't keep up

Totakeke

So I got the game since release but I haven't played it until yesterday. I also watched a couple of videos on the lore and stuff and I see the similarities among his games and I'm expecting to get a pretty good experience.

I'm still early in the game but three things have soured me a bit on the game so far.

First, I still haven't gotten a hang of combat and I don't feel like there's quite enough feedback when you're doing something wrong, so I died on the first boss and the game made me restart. Fine, no big deal, that's cute, I thought.

Second, the game is full of waypoints and I don't feel like I'm meant to sidetrack myself, so I follow them pretty much religiously. But the first sidequest I got led me to an area where I killed all the mobs, looted all the stuff around that area but didn't give me the item I needed to complete the sidequest. So I searched around that same area for another 10 minutes wondering if I missed anything until I just gave up and started killing random enemies on the field hoping they would drop the item. I did find it elsewhere but it did leave me confused whether I should trust the waypointing.

Third, I got my second gameover when I was completing a bunch of sidequest and a big event triggered. I still haven't finished the sidequests and I was in a nearby area and thought surely, the event can wait and I can go grab that item for the sidequest first. So I ran to the sidequest area and then without not much warning, I get a game over screen for abandoning the fight, probably because I ran too fast before the warning text all came out. So I lost about 20 minutes of stuff and I just can't help but shake my head at just what happened.

I'm expecting a unique experience but not this kind... do more of this stuff happen throughout the game?

Also, what's the best way to travel fast across the world? Feels like I'm spending a lot of time just travelling around on foot without doing anything meaningful. Just stack movement speed up chips? Is there a limit to stacking generally?

Cybolt

So I got the game since release but I haven't played it until yesterday. I also watched a couple of videos on the lore and stuff and I see the similarities among his games and I'm expecting to get a pretty good experience.

I'm still early in the game but three things have soured me a bit on the game so far.

First, I still haven't gotten a hang of combat and I don't feel like there's quite enough feedback when you're doing something wrong, so I died on the first boss and the game made me restart. Fine, no big deal, that's cute, I thought.

Second, the game is full of waypoints and I don't feel like I'm meant to sidetrack myself, so I follow them pretty much religiously. But the first sidequest I got led me to an area where I killed all the mobs, looted all the stuff around that area but didn't give me the item I needed to complete the sidequest. So I searched around that same area for another 10 minutes wondering if I missed anything until I just gave up and started killing random enemies on the field hoping they would drop the item. I did find it elsewhere but it did leave me confused whether I should trust the waypointing.

Third, I got my second gameover when I was completing a bunch of sidequest and a big event triggered. I still haven't finished the sidequests and I was in a nearby area and thought surely, the event can wait and I can go grab that item for the sidequest first. So I ran to the sidequest area and then without not much warning, I get a game over screen for abandoning the fight, probably because I ran too fast before the warning text all came out. So I lost about 20 minutes of stuff and I just can't help but shake my head at just what happened.

I'm expecting a unique experience but not this kind... do more of this stuff happen throughout the game?

Also, what's the best way to travel fast across the world? Feels like I'm spending a lot of time just travelling around on foot without doing anything meaningful. Just stack movement speed up chips? Is there a limit to stacking generally?

I'm not too far in the game itself but I have done a lot of sidequests and was wondering about running around all the time. I found out later that you do unlock an option for fast travel if you proceed a little further down the story.

AwShucks

I think this ended up being my favorite game since Dead Space. I'm so sad it's over that I'm actually doing side quests, something I rarely ever do.

Exentryk

So what is everyone's favorite pod and why is it the laser

Currently have Mirage and Gravity equipped. Need to unlock more and try them out before I can figure which ones I like the best. Pods are still level 1, cos nothing has been dropping the upgrade items so far.

Demoskinos

Okay, some final thoughts here. This game is subversive in some incredible ways that quite honestly I think need to be studied in game design courses. Just constant "Wait, What?!" moments the entire game.

I'll continue playing on and get 100% and then I'll sacrifice my save.

Now off to the spoiler thread I go finally....

LotusHD

Banned
The laser is amazing, especially when you upgrade it to level 3 and get that extra attack.

I never did upgrade the pods...

Okay, some final thoughts here. This game is subversive in some incredible ways that quite honestly I think need to be studied in game design courses. Just constant "Wait, What?!" moments the entire game.

I'll continue playing on and get 100% and then I'll sacrifice my save.

Now off to the spoiler thread I go finally....

Welcome aboard!

Croc

Banned
lol.
Guess I'm fighting final Father Servo form at level 35.

He's easy enough to fight it just takes awhile. I already beat his first part which I wrongly assumed would be it after a very very lengthy fight. And now I have to do it all over :) :) :)

Sami+

FUCK ME MAN I WAD SO CLOSE TO BEATING THAT BOSS AND GOT DICKED TRYING TO SWITCH FROM MEDIUM RECOVERY TO SMALL UUUGGGHHHH

ADAM WAS ALMOST FUCKING DEAD WHEN HE GRABBED ME AND STARTED PUMMELLING​ SO I TRIED SWITCHING TO SMALL SO I COULD MASH AND SWITCHED WEAPONS INSTEAD BECAUSE I DIDNT PRESS DOWN UP FAST ENOUGH UUGGGHHHH UUUGGGHHHH

I somehow ended up with material only for Pod A to upgrade during my second quick runthrough, but then had the right items to go right to level 4. Love how you fire for a few seconds and then at the pulse can let out a cannon blast. That mixed with the Mirage (the equivalent of Dark Phantasm from Nier) for surrounding enemies made me forget
I even had hacking for 9S
until it was necessary out of battle.

Moaradin

It's a shame so many people never upgrade the pods. It's understandable because the materials are so hard to find and you usually won't have enough until after you beat the game, but still. They change in cool ways that aren't just damage boost, and the game doesn't tell you about it strangely enough.

Jiraiza

You need to get the enemy health really low, and then you get an prompt to initiate a finisher via the Action button.

Just to expand on that, enemies have a stun threshold which causes them to go into that state, which most of the time tends to be when they're low health.

As for the pods, I think the only ones viable for some form of combo usage are the missile ones and the gatling upgraded to the max since it shoots out missiles as well. Good for juggling, though it's kind of hard to use.

Ourobolus

Banned
It's a shame so many people never upgrade the pods. It's understandable because the materials are so hard to find and you usually won't have enough until after you beat the game, but still. They change in cool ways that aren't just damage boost, and the game doesn't tell you about it strangely enough.

It doesn't help that those materials are typically the ones that can't be bought, they need to be farmed. Fucking
Small Gears

EdmondD

Welp, this game just brought me to tears. Route C spoilers
Popola and Devola's story + that song * Nier nostalgia = tears. Then the trophy popped. Crime and Punishment.... My favorite writer of all time is Fyodor Dostoyevsky. First novel of his I ever read was Crime and Punishment. One of the finest novels ever written and one of my favorites.
This game is a masterpiece.

LotusHD

Banned

Stuff like this makes me want to replay the game on Hard sooner rather than later...

i upgraded one to 3, the other to level 2. couldn't max them until i got the plat, but i thought i found enough materials in 50 hours get it done at this level.

Jiraiza

https://twitter.com/PG_taura/status/844769504064266240

C7k5YcxVwAI7RH2.jpg:large

Taura getting the OST early... Absolutely jelly.

Nearing the end of route B, but I have to get some sleep. I guess I'll find out how much of the game was spoiled for me soon. Hanging in there, not reading anything else. I'm ready.

robotrock

Banned
game starts pretty slow yeah? i've gone up to the desert in the beginning and hasn't really grabbed me yet. only spent about 3 hours though and i hear this game is about 40, but usually 3 hours into a platinum game would give you a decent idea of what to expect with the rest of the game.

soundtrack is awesome though

LotusHD

Banned
game starts pretty slow yeah? i've gone up to the desert in the beginning and hasn't really grabbed me yet. only spent about 3 hours though and i hear this game is about 40, but usually 3 hours into a platinum game would give you a decent idea of what to expect with the rest of the game.

soundtrack is awesome though

Well it's a Yoko Taro game first and foremost, so things are done a little differently ;D

I thought the pod upgrades were really disappointing. The new attacks are too awkward to activate to be practical - mashing fast enough to match autofire DPS would probably kill your finger, and the charge moves take way too long for how little they do.

Been a few days since I finished the game (A-E endings). Can't stop thinking about it. A really special game. Once the game releases let up a bit I plan on playing through it again. Missed so much stuff.

PBalfredo

Any good resources or videos out there for how to get better or some good bread and butter combos to use? I want to get gud and I feel like I'm not utilizing the combat system as good as I should. Right now I'm just at the level of wait until I see red, R2 R2 R2 until I dodge, mash some shit until I land. I'd do some more searching on my own, but I'm a bit fearful of spoilers right now, especially considering everyone here seems to be losing their minds about reveals in later routes.

Flandy

Just finished Route A. What can I expect going forward? About how long will it take me to reach the true ending? Will there be a lot of new stuff or will most of it be the same?

Ourobolus

Banned
Just finished Route A. What can I expect going forward? About how long will it take me to reach the true ending? Will there be a lot of new stuff or will most of it be the same?
There is a ton of new stuff coming up, though not immediately.

Depending on side quests you can finish the game in around 40 hours (I 100%'d it in like...46?)

VRMN

Got through Route A and started on B. Got through the initial desert area.

Hacking
might get old, even if it makes damage tanks like the gold machines bearable because it does so much damage. I don't hate it
as a minigame, but the average combat encounter with 9S includes at least one of them since it replaces his heavy attack...
Feels like I'm going to invest in pod upgrades this branch for some options. Have been playing around with putting a heavy weapon on slot B and using the D-Pad to chain basic combos, but it's still awkward and less efficient. I just know it's going to get tiresome.

Naturally the sidequests I didn't do in route A were the combat centric ones because of the levels involved.

Hacking
might get old, even if it makes damage tanks like the gold machines bearable because it does so much damage. I don't hate it
as a minigame, but the average combat encounter with 9S includes at least one of them since it replaces his heavy attack...
Feels like I'm going to invest in pod upgrades this branch for some options. Have been playing around with putting a heavy weapon on slot B and using the D-Pad to chain basic combos, but it's still awkward and less efficient. I just know it's going to get tiresome.

Naturally the sidequests I didn't do in route A were the combat centric ones because of the levels involved.

Let 9S use a spear and upgrade it

OniBaka

Hacking

I never used it but people here say spear is the strongest for 9S with it's charge attack.

Remainder of the game is 30% old content, 70% new content.

Mind you, Route B is primarily old content so you're seeing pretty much the entire of that 30% out-the-gate after Route A.

With majority of side-quest completed, it took me 40 hours to reach the true ending. You can probably cut that by 5-10 hours if you don't do them or only partially complete it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yes or no answer please, still at the beginning of C.

Does Nier from the first game appear or get mentioned in this?

I like that the access points (route B mechanic)
put up that red lockdown barrier and become inaccessible if you approach as a remote controlled machine.
Nice little touch.

Top Bottom