• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

this is not a slight on the game, quite the contrary in fact, but I cant help but feel that all the people so blown away with the story and themes hasnt watched much anime in their lifetime.

And no, I dont mean Naruto.
Maybe...? I mean, I can see a lot of similarities to darker, turn-of-the-decade '80s and '90s anime. The desert area reminds me a lot of Fist of the North Star and perhaps volume 5 or 6 of Gunnm. The feeling of hopelessness and one of the reveals toward the end of route B feel very Gunnm
and how cheap life is
. Hell, even 2B's appearance reminds me a lot of Gally. Early route C spoilers:
2B's battle gear suit up feels like a direct reference to Gunnm rollerball.
Edit: Shit, even the operators. There are of course the similarities to EVA That have already been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Anyway yeah, starting route C I have a feeling I'm halfway in and two big moments that I haven't reached yet have already been spoilered by dick YT thumbnails. I haven't seen anything that goes beyond the more depressing anime and manga my friends and I used to discuss during our high school years in the mid '90s.

I think it's just so refreshing to see something like Automata in today's gaming landscape; at a time where Japan is now largely known for colorful serial shows and pop idol culture. I'm not saying that it wasn't always that way (pop idols have been a thing forever), but in the last decade it feels like we definitely lost a lot of the themes (at least in the more mainstream setting) that were darker and the reasons that the west started paying attention to anime in the early 90s.

LotusHD

Banned
this is not a slight on the game, quite the contrary in fact, but I cant help but feel that all the people so blown away with the story and themes hasnt watched much anime in their lifetime.

Seen a shitload of anime, still very much impressed nonetheless. Also different mediums, so yea...

Ruff

I'm more blown away by how Yoko uses the advantage of the medium of gaming telling his story through the meta, rather then just making you an actor in an overly long film like a lot of narrative driven games. For example, in films you wouldn't be able to (massive ending spoiler)
Rewind the credits and fight the developers of the game itself to get your happier ending, culminating in being saved by someone nice enough to sacrifice their entire save data as people leave motivational messages to spur you on.

kiaaa

What anime deals with similar themes?

edit - also, as others have pointed out, being an active participant makes a huge difference.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I meant personality wise.
I tend not to use the spear, it's boring. Rather melee with him with the occasional hacking.

His 'heavy' chain is pretty good for melee purposes I found- the downside to meleeing with the spear is you pretty much have to switch to a small sword or bracer after a launcher because the spear's air combo is so short.

Astral

It's definitely how he uses the medium.Early Route C spoilers:
When I got the virus and was being punched around constantly by machines I legit got furious. I went from sympathizing with the machines to wanting them all dead as shit. Not to mention you actually straight up die.

Playing this game for the first time and I'm fighting this weird boss in a theatre or something. What the hell is happening with my camera?? It went top-down waaaay too close and now I keep getting hit with hack waves... Is this closeness with the top-down view intentional?... I can't see anything around me.

Ruff

Playing this game for the first time and I'm fighting this weird boss in a theatre or something. What the hell is happening with my camera?? It went top-down waaaay too close and now I keep getting hit with hack waves... Is this closeness with the top-down view intentional?... I can't see anything around me.

I've seen a few streamers suffer from that. The camera change is intentional as the creator obviously likes playing around with genres but I feel like your case is a mistake because in my game it zoomed out quite far like smash TV and I could get a good look at things. Sometimes it looks like the camera gets stuck and you end up with a horribly zoomed in view that can make it pretty hard for the phase.

Ferrio

Banned

I think it's intentional. I didn't have any issue with it personally, fun fight.

I've seen a few streamers suffer from that. The camera change is intentional as the creator obviously likes playing around with genres but I feel like your case is a mistake because in my game it zoomed out quite far like smash TV and I could get a good look at things. Sometimes it looks like the camera gets stuck and you end up with a horribly zoomed in view that can make it pretty hard for the phase.

Ew. I better restart then. Cuz this is hovering quite close to my head to the point that I can't see anything coming.

Ruff

Ew. I better restart then. Cuz this is hovering quite close to my head to the point that I can't see anything coming.

Compare to this video and see if your camera zooms out so much. That is the normal as far as I know.

Chase17

Just got through the
A2
fight. Glad that a fast travel system was opened up recently. Was getting to be a bit of a pain running back and forth. Hoping I don't hit a difficult wall lol, starting to die a lot more frequently now. Must find dented plates.

The soundtrack is great all around, but I especially enjoy the village theme.

Geist-

Alright, so I only just beat the Amusement Park boss and have found the virtuous large sword and the virtuous spear, should I bother buying any of the weapons from the resistance camp vendor? Is there anything important I should be saving my gold to buy?

Astral

Alright, so I only just beat the Amusement Park boss and have found the virtuous large sword and the virtuous spear, should I bother buying any of the weapons from the resistance camp vendor? Is there anything important I should be saving my gold to buy?

Pretty much any weapon is viable so if you like those you don't need to buy any other ones. It's better to save money for upgrade materials.

I made a quick video of how close it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvbcPOMCYPA

BgYpEo.gif

bronk

Banned
Buying all the chip upgrades is first thing you should do imo.

Game is so good just thinking about it, in this case the varied gameplay. The scrolling shooter sections really make me want to plug in the Dreamcast and play some Zero Gunner 2.

Ruff

I guess I'll restart then lol It's good to know that it's supposed to zoom out more. It felt like I was playing fog of war or something.

Honestly it's only a short phase, maybe like 30 seconds before the camera returns to 3rd person so I don't know if it's worth restarting over. Just fire in the direction of the dots on the minimap and keep dodging.

Geist-

Pretty much any weapon is viable so if you like those you don't need to buy any other ones. It's better to save money for upgrade materials.
Cool, I'm fine with the spear and the large sword so I'll be saving for upgrades.

Buying all the chip upgrades is first thing you should do imo.
I guess I'll get on that then.
I made a quick video of how close it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvbcPOMCYPA

BgYpEo.gif
I had the same problem, I thought it was intentional and it really soured my experience.

Honestly it's only a short phase, maybe like 30 seconds before the camera returns to 3rd person so I don't know if it's worth restarting over. Just fire in the direction of the dots on the minimap and keep dodging.

Lol. I decided to take your advice and embarrassingly the camera re-aligned it's self once I started moving further away.

Ferr986

Just found him... Just found
Emil in his weird ass car as a shop vendor
.That was totally NOT what I expected about him lol

Flandy

Can I skip the cutscenes in Route B if they're not immediately different? Every new cutscene I've run into so far has been completely different from the start

Ferr986

oh wow fuck this, a lot of active quests I had dissapeared already. I thought it would be pretty clear when that happens but guess not. Feels totally random, honestly...

oh wow fuck this, a lot of active quests I had dissapeared already. I thought it would be pretty clear when that happens but guess not. Feels totally random, honestly...

There is a tiny hint of sorts, the resistance leader said something like "If you have other YohRa assignments to deal with right now, I understand." when handing you that mission, but yeah, it's pretty sudden.

If it makes you feel any better, your quest progress is saved for your second playthrough. Finished quests stay finished.

Yeah it is definitely abrupt, don't worry though you will be able to do them again at another point in the future.

Would like to know this aswell. Finished the game a few hours ago and now I'm waiting for P5 to release.

Casshern Sins maybe? I only watched the first episode, but I know it's about androids/cyborgs/machines in a post-apocalyptic future.

EDIT: Texhnolyze is a really good one for Taro fans. It's incredibly well made, relentlessly tragic, and brutal as hell. The main character reminded me of Caim.

silva1991

Help I'm stuck

I hacked a robot to control it and now I can't go back to 9S. I mashed, Mashing didn't do the tick lol

What to do?

Top Bottom