• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

sonicmj1

Am I actually expected to run through the entire goddamn desert with the scanner to do this Relics of the Old World quest? Easily the most mean-spirited sidequest so far.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Am I actually expected to run through the entire goddamn desert with the scanner to do this Relics of the Old World quest? Easily the most mean-spirited sidequest so far.
They are all placed near major objects and spaced out to where you think they would be. If it seems like too much I'd just look it up though.

Moofers

I picked up this game today and just wanted to say it was because of great word of mouth, fun crossover stuff with Gravity Rush, and some really killer cosplay I've seen. And also Jim Sterling.

Very excited to dive in!

Labolas

Finished Route C.
Man, what a crazy ride the climax was. Switching A2 and 9S was awesome. Seeing the library from Nier 1 was awesome. Also Berserker mode is great, destroyed an enemy upon activating it. Ugh, and another awesome character is dead. I like 9S and he has the most story but 2B and A2 are more fun to play as and I like their personalities more. Can't wait for the final boss to be a hacking minigame. /s Hopefully I'm wrong.

So Route D
is just playing as 9S at the end of the game?

Mailbox

Finished Route C.
Man, what a crazy ride the climax was. Switching A2 and 9S was awesome. Seeing the library from Nier 1 was awesome. Ugh, and another awesome character is dead. I like 9S and he has the most story but 2B and A2 are more fun to play as and I like their personalities more. Can't wait for the final boss to be a hacking minigame. /s Hopefully I'm wrong.

So Route D

Yes.

You'll gain access
to ending E directly after. You'll understand when it happens. I won't spoil it here

Finished Route C.
Man, what a crazy ride the climax was. Switching A2 and 9S was awesome. Seeing the library from Nier 1 was awesome. Ugh, and another awesome character is dead. I like 9S and he has the most story but 2B and A2 are more fun to play as and I like their personalities more. Can't wait for the final boss to be a hacking minigame. /s Hopefully I'm wrong.

So Route D

I like to consider route D is all the parts of playing 9S after the all out battle

But yes, essentially

Labolas

Yes.

You'll gain access
to ending E directly after. You'll understand when it happens. I won't spoil it here

aBB62or.gif

Chase17

I just finished route A. Liked it. Ground combat is fun, and I think the flying segments are even better. Was that one cutscene all you see of
emil? And the twins from the original made a cameo as well
. I will say I was more impressed with the story/characters of the original nier on that initial playthrough. Soundtrack is so good.

From what I've gathered, route B is the same except you play as
9S. Is it shorter due to the segments where he is out of action?

Sounds like it is worth going through it to get to route C though.

Labolas

I like to consider route D is all the parts of playing 9S after the all out battle

But yes, essentially

So.... is it recommended that I go back get all the weapons and finish off the rest of sidequests?

Also about Route A and Route C spoilers btw
thinking back on the YorHa units that went awol knew about them being disposable and that's the reason of them going awol?

Man, Popola and Devola can't catch a break. Holy shit, is their story sad.

J_Viper

Loving the game so far, but I'm wondering how side-quests work. I already did the two side quests at the first camp, the tutorial ones.

Now I'm wondering if side-quests are always found at camps, if there are more, or if I need to seek them out in the open-world.

LotusHD

Banned
Loving the game so far, but I'm wondering how side-quests work. I already did the two side quests at the first camp, the tutorial ones.

Now I'm wondering if side-quests are always found at camps, if there are more, or if I need to seek them out in the open-world.

Those are actually main quests.

You can always see what sidequests are available to you through your map. They'll be marked as red dots. You have to go there yourself and talk to the NPC in order to accept them.

I'd advise waiting for you to unlock fast travel before going all crazy regarding completing them.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Most sidequest are at camps but there is a few on field. You can see them in your map anyway so open up the map and look around for the red dots.

LotusHD

Banned
I just finished route A. Liked it. Ground combat is fun, and I think the flying segments are even better. Was that one cutscene all you see of
emil? And the twins from the original made a cameo as well
. I will say I was more impressed with the story/characters of the original nier on that initial playthrough. Soundtrack is so good.

From what I've gathered, route B is the same except you play as
9S. Is it shorter due to the segments where he is out of action?

Sounds like it is worth going through it to get to route C though.

You get new content for the segments where 9S is missing during Route A.

Finished Route D+E
giphy.gif

The use of the online feature and music was truly powerful. Didn't want to wipe my save file though.

I feel like the impact of the story didn't really hit me while I was playing it, but dug in my mind more and more upon further reflection and letting it settle for a bit.
Anemone's backstory though. Goddamn.

lionpants

- Worms are right up there with worst enemy to fight in games.

- I'm pretty burnt out on open world side quests after playing Horizon and finishing most of Zelda's side quests. Are they mostly okay to skip in this?

LotusHD

Banned
- Worms are right up there with worst enemy to fight in games.

- I'm pretty burnt out on open world side quests after playing Horizon and finishing most of Zelda's side quests. Are they mostly okay to skip in this?

Yea, I hated fighting them, especially at this one part in the story.

Uhh, there are several quality ones, that can be humorous, morbid, foreshadow, make you feel more attached to characters, etc. Don't feel pressured to do them all, but keep an open mind I guess.

Astral

Oh god this is gut wrenching. Just finished the
village massacre
in Route C.
Talking to Pascal with 9S afterwards made my heart sink.

So I'm about nine hours or so into this, and I just did the part
where you go to that forest king village of the machines and fight a lot, and you meet the android A2.

Game has been pretty slow for me so far, any hopes that it'll pick up? There's a few things I've been really enjoying so far that will probably push me to finish it, like that incredible soundtrack.

I finished Route A today, and I keep waiting for something amazing to happen. It never did. Not since MGSV has a game let me down so hard. The game just kind of...ends. If you asked me to sum up why I should care about anything that happens in Route A, I'd have a hard time coming up with reasons. None of the characters have been fleshed out, the world is as much as a mystery as it was when I began, and the game never managed to figure out just what the hell it was doing with its pacing.

I seriously hope the other routes blow my fucking mind out of the back of my skull, because boy is this game going to have to work hard to win me over.

LotusHD

Banned
I finished Route A today, and I keep waiting for something amazing to happen. It never did. Not since MGSV has a game let me down so hard. The game just kind of...ends. If you asked me to sum up why I should care about anything that happens in Route A, I'd have a hard time coming up with reasons. None of the characters have been fleshed out, the world is as much as a mystery as it was when I began, and the game never managed to figure out just what the hell it was doing with its pacing.

I seriously hope the other routes blow my fucking mind out of the back of my skull, because boy is this game going to have to work hard to win me over.

Heh.

Top Bottom