• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Would like to know this aswell. Finished the game a few hours ago and now I'm waiting for P5 to release.

I don't watch anime myself anymore but I remember Ergo Proxy is pretty damn good if you like post apocalyptic setting (with a Utopian city) and fucked up storylines and tragic backstories. That show is bleak throughout. It's a rather depressing watch.

Huh, maybe. I watched the whole thing, don't remember it very well, other than the fact that it was insanely boring.

Yeah, I didn't watch past the first episode because it seemed quite dull. I thought it might be thematically relevant, though.

Have you seen Texhnolyze? It's a little slow to start, but once it gets going, it gets into Drakengard territory.

70qPTlo.png

I don't watch anime myself anymore but I remember Ergo Proxy is pretty damn good if you like post apocalyptic setting (with a Utopian city) and fucked up storylines and tragic backstories. That show is bleak throughout. It's a rather depressing watch.

Ergo Proxy is an interesting suggestion. I disagree that it's bleak throughout - it gets really goofy at times - but that actually makes it a little more like Automata, and it does some interesting things with its presentation that are in line with Taro's work. Plus it's just philosophy references nonstop.

I only really enjoyed the goofy episodes in the middle of the series, and thought the overall experience was mediocre, but it really has a lot in common with Automata.

Totally forgot about Texhnolyze. That was really good too. I disagree with the diagram, by the way, that show is really bleak and really weird right from the start and doesn't let up.

I agree! I know a lot of people complain about it being slow, though.

I honestly feel that the best animes that I ever saw on my foray into anime back in my teenage years was from the early 2000s like the ones we mentioned already (Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze) and others like Serial Experiments Lain, Gungrave, Witch Hunter Robin, Paprika, Perfect Blue (lates 90s but still), Monster and the list goes on and on. I really liked the darker anime stuff like that. Not as much of it nowadays for me as back then (the art styles were more my style back then too). So much anime that felt more aimed at older audiences (not just for teens) and respected the intelligence of the viewer without as many cliches throughout (and if they had them, they were well done regardless) and really took their time delivering the narrative, to hell with being "fast paced" or "action packed". I don't think any of those animes get the recognition they deserve.

Anyway, this is really off topic now, so I'd better stop. NieR is fucking great. There we go.
lol.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, I didn't watch past the first episode because it seemed quite dull. I thought it might be thematically relevant, though.

Have you seen Texhnolyze? It's a little slow to start, but once it gets going, it gets into Drakengard territory.

Nah. I've been planning on watching it for the longest time, never got around to it.

I honestly feel that the best animes that I ever saw on my foray into anime back in my teenage years was from the early 2000s like the ones we mentioned already (Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze) and others like Serial Experiments Lain, Gungrave, Witch Hunter Robin, Paprika, Perfect Blue (lates 90s but still), Monster and the list goes on and on. I really liked the darker anime stuff like that. Not as much of it nowadays for me as back then (the art styles were more my style back then too). So much anime that felt more aimed at older audiences (not just for teens) and respected the intelligence of the viewer without as many cliches throughout (and if they had them, they were well done regardless). I don't think any of those animes get the recognition they deserve.

Anyway, this is really off topic now, so I'd better stop. NieR is fucking great. There we go.
lol.

Lol, Perfect Blue was the most unintentionally funny anime movie I've never seen.

Monster is the GOAT, and one of the first things that came to my mind when thinking of anime that are dark in the sense that Nier is.

Ferr986

There is a tiny hint of sorts, the resistance leader said something like "If you have other YohRa assignments to deal with right now, I understand." when handing you that mission, but yeah, it's pretty sudden.

If it makes you feel any better, your quest progress is saved for your second playthrough. Finished quests stay finished.

Aaah, you're right. I really didn't catch it, oh well.

Yeah it is definitely abrupt, don't worry though you will be able to do them again at another point in the future.

Cool!
Route B I guess?

Guess i'm off to finishing A tonight.

Dunan

Is it actually selling well or is it like Yakuza 0 well?

Tangential data: Amazon.co.jp used prices are still close to 6000 yen (over ~$50), the guidebook sold out its first printing before it even came out and has now sold out a second, with used copies going for 30% more than the cover price, and even the original Nier saw used copies of Grimoire Nier going for nearly 50% more than the ~$20 cover price until they reprinted it again just a few weeks ago.

People are getting into Nier again, all right.

Ferr986

Just finished Route A. Yeah it feels like there's a lot missing here, a lot more of what you could feel when you finish Nier 1 Ending A. Especially I'm missing why this game is called Nier and not something else lol

But still, a lot ot interesting things to develop
it was interesting how the machines when into creating a religion, wonder if there's a background for it. Also, cult symbol on Eve when he's an android still need explaining

I think the robots are really interesting, and can't wait what's nex on that regard. 2B and
Adam and Eve
are still pretty bad though.
Hope there's another villain apart than those 2 idiots.

Ferrio

Banned
Just finished Route A. Yeah it feels like there's a lot missing here, a lot more of what you could feel when you finish Nier 1 Ending A. Especially I'm missing why this game is called Nier and not something else lol

Thought it was apparent why it was called Nier by the end of Route A myself. Still fuzzy on a lot, but the pieces are there just not in place.

What anime deals with similar themes?

NierA sometimes feels like a combo of two personal fave anime, Casshern Sins (clearly with post-apocalyptic robots and serious tone) and Shikabane Hime/Corpse Princess (powerful character working at the behest
of a mysterious organization
, tasked with (spoiler similar to Automata)
killing other shikabane, working with a guy who means more to her than at first revealed, even doing the 2B thing first in running around with a peekaboo short skirt lol
).

Milijango

There is a tiny hint of sorts, the resistance leader said something like "If you have other YohRa assignments to deal with right now, I understand." when handing you that mission, but yeah, it's pretty sudden.

If it makes you feel any better, your quest progress is saved for your second playthrough. Finished quests stay finished.

That's way too subtle for a game that literally tells you to play it again via a message from Square Enix PR.

Sooo, I ran into the
Idiot Savant
machine at Pascal's Village, and went, okay, just gotta
hack
him, this will be fine.

WHAT THE FRESH HELL IS THIS.

The true final boss of Nier Automata.

...I did finish the Speedster's quests, at least.

There is a red marker on my map that seems waaaaaaay bellow the ground - it's kinda in the Forest Zone by the waterfall - and I'm assuming you must have to stumble upon it during the main plot, because I can't find a way to get to it? If it's like the ones in the factory, it could be a save point.

Monster is the GOAT, and one of the first things that came to my mind when thinking of anime that are dark in the sense that Nier is.

Looove me some Urasawa. I really, really need Pluto to get adapted someday, it's an absolute masterpiece, and my favorite work of his. Automata reminds me of it quite a bit, actually. Pluto is the most I've teared up over a manga in my life, ow.

Baalzebup

There is a red marker on my map that seems waaaaaaay bellow the ground - it's kinda in the Forest Zone by the waterfall - and I'm assuming you must have to stumble upon it during the main plot, because I can't find a way to get to it? If it's like the ones in the factory, it could be a save point
Sometimes you just have to take a little leap of faith, friend.

kiaaa

Looove me some Urasawa. I really, really need Pluto to get adapted someday, it's an absolute masterpiece, and my favorite work of his. Automata reminds me of it quite a bit, actually. Pluto is the most I've teared up over a manga in my life, ow.

Is Pluto as long as Monster? I think Monster is fantastic, but the anime does a ton of recapping/retreading and it kinda hurt the experience for me.

Would like to know this aswell. Finished the game a few hours ago and now I'm waiting for P5 to release.
Read Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita in the west). There was an OAV, but it is only two episodes and it doesn't even come close to covering the multi-volume manga. Midway through the series the main character acts as an agent for an organization similar YoRHa; complete with bubbly operators. The series deals with constant loss in a wasted Earth where life is cheap.

alita-blade.jpg

This body type reminds me a lot of A2:
kazaana.jpg

Dartastic

So, I'm enjoying this game so far (I'm about 5 hours in) but like, the stuttering when I'm running around on my PS4 Pro is driving me NUTS. Like, I'll be running places and just having it stutter all over the place. Have they talked about this at all? Is a fix in the works? It's so frustrating.

Labolas

Read Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita in the west). There was an OAV, but it is only two episodes and it doesn't even come close to covering the multi-volume manga. Midway through the series the main character acts as an agent for an organization similar YoRHa; complete with bubbly operators. The series deals with constant loss in a wasted Earth where life is cheap.

alita-blade.jpg

Woolieswag.gif
Found another Gunnm/BAA fan.

Man, I wish Platinum would make a Gunnm game. They're perfect for it.

Sometimes you just have to take a little leap of faith, friend.

OHHHH.

(Thank you!)

Is Pluto as long as Monster? I think Monster is fantastic, but the anime does a ton of recapping/retreading and it kinda hurt the experience for me.

Thankfully, no, Pluto is beautifully paced, very concise, and doesn't outstay its welcome.I think it's definitely Urasawa's strongest in that regard, 20th Century Boys is also super long. I've never seen the anime of Monster, and considering it's already quite long, I can imagine the recapping/retreading would be brutal!

EdmondD

To add to the anime recommendations I think fans of Automata would like Serial Experiments Lain. Has the same character designer as Texnolyze Yoshitoshi Abe. I haven't got ending D or E yet so I'm replaying C and it's just as good as the first time. Love this game. I though Casshern Sins was really good but it is pretty slow. The later episodes are when it gets good. A couple other animes I would recommend are Kemonozume and Kaiba.

Palmer_v1

So it looks like I can't play this because it crashes to a white screen before I can finish the prologue. It's happened 3 times now, and that wouldn't even really stop me expect I can't save, so I'm losing like 30 minutes each time.

It's a problem with GTX 780 cards, apparently.

killatopak

Gold Member
So it looks like I can't play this because it crashes to a white screen before I can finish the prologue. It's happened 3 times now, and that wouldn't even really stop me expect I can't save, so I'm losing like 30 minutes each time.

It's a problem with GTX 780 cards, apparently.

Have you tried using different driver version?

Airan

Everyone praises the main characters' voices, but going back on replays I noticed that I really enjoy Pod 042's logical, calm voice. It's not quite the Weiss snark, but he still has his moments especially in Route C
where he has concerns over A2's intelligence lol

Astral

Real talk, I'm having a hard time thinking of a game I liked more than this in like the past year. I think the last game I loved this much was Bloodborne.

Route C spoilers

Got myself that Break Time ending by accident walking from the 3D movement area of the resistance camp to the 2D perspective bit while Pascal was yammering down the wireless, good thing I'd saved relatively recently or that would have been some of the richest and most creamy of bullshit. On the other hand it was kind of funny.

Anywho I finished the third route business, anything else notable to check out or am I at a satisfactory conclusion stage?

jonjonaug

Route C spoilers

Got myself that Break Time ending by accident walking from the 3D movement area of the resistance camp to the 2D perspective bit while Pascal was yammering down the wireless, good thing I'd saved relatively recently or that would have been some of the richest and most creamy of bullshit. On the other hand it was kind of funny.

Anywho I finished the third route business, anything else notable to check out or am I at a satisfactory conclusion stage?

Make sure you have endings C, D, and E. Game's not over until you do.

Just finished route B. I cannot wait to start Route C, I love the way this game and it's narrative have been presented and paced.
The little preview trailer is perfectly placed.
They are literally hyping me for this game, as I play this game.

robotrock

Banned
So I'm about nine hours or so into this, and I just did the part
where you go to that forest king village of the machines and fight a lot, and you meet the android A2.

Game has been pretty slow for me so far, any hopes that it'll pick up? There's a few things I've been really enjoying so far that will probably push me to finish it, like that incredible soundtrack.

Astral

So I'm about nine hours or so into this, and I just did the part
where you go to that forest king village of the machines and fight a lot, and you meet the android A2.

Game has been pretty slow for me so far, any hopes that it'll pick up? There's a few things I've been really enjoying so far that will probably push me to finish it, like that incredible soundtrack.

The next set piece is pretty awesome but the game's first route is kinda slow overall. Shit is about to hit the fan though.

Top Bottom