• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

I just got to the desert, and this is my first Yoko Taro game. Is there anything I should keep in mind / be doing in the game to make it better? I know to do sidequests when available.

Also watched a lot of primer re: Drakengard and Nier. So I know what's going on on those fronts.

edit: Should I be playing Dub or Sub?

Zafir

You get a good amount of money doing side quests too.

I spent all my money on upgrades and storage. Not long later I was surprised by the 100k achievement popping, lol.

Anyway, just finished Route B. Preview seems interesting, but sadly its 5am courtesy of the clocks going forward. So it'll have to wait till tomorrow. :p

I just got to ending A and the game has been pretty disappointing coming from the first Nier. Dull characters, a dull setting, terrible antagonists (those twins..ugh, I don't even want to see them return for their inevitable backstories), and an open world that is largely meaningless. The side quests have been pretty bereft of much narrative either, but that's not much different from the first game. Hopefully that really was just the prologue because I keep waiting for Yoko Taro stuff to happen. Right now it feels like Nier with better combat, but a worse cast of characters and far less panache.

Perineum

I just got to ending A and the game has been pretty disappointing coming from the first Nier. Dull characters, a dull setting, terrible antagonists (those twins..ugh, I don't even want to see them return for their inevitable backstories), and an open world that is largely meaningless. The side quests have been pretty bereft of much narrative either, but that's not much different from the first game. Hopefully that really was just the prologue because I keep waiting for Yoko Taro stuff to happen. Right now it feels like Nier with better combat, but a worse cast of characters and far less panache.

Route A is meaningless.

Route B is a game changer. Side quests are fleshed out too and have better narratives. The payout to B and the ride is MUCH better than A.

Strimei

I just got to the desert, and this is my first Yoko Taro game. Is there anything I should keep in mind / be doing in the game to make it better? I know to do sidequests when available.

Also watched a lot of primer re: Drakengard and Nier. So I know what's going on on those fronts.

Experiment with chips until you find what works for you. I really liked one that gave me back 30% health when I kill an enemy, and a shockwave from my attacks helps clear stuff out.

As for dub/sub, choose what works for you. I think the dub is great.

Taruranto

Route C

oVtTDwZ.jpg

How the heck do you get this chest? Am I supposed to jump on that ledge from the stairs?

LotusHD

Banned

Go with dub.

jonjonaug

Choose whatever you prefer, but I tried out both and preferred the original Japanese VAs. I think the only English VAs that do a better job are the Pods, but this isn't important until way late in the game.

It's not as good as Nier, but trust me when I say that it is very much a Yoko Taro game. Just stick with it, and try to keep an open mind. It requires a lot more digesting than Nier did.

The sooner you accept that Tuba and the Droids will never be as charismatic as Nier's motley crew of murderhobos, the better off you will be. It was an impossible bar to clear, so Taro chose to do things differently instead.

Crayon

So starting this game. Got to the
white haired dude
. The open world/side quests aren't really grabbing me. Do I miss much if I skip side quests?

Any particular optimal way to build my character re: chips and weapons?

I'd say if you are not enjoying the side quests you can just slam through and come back later.

traveler

Not Wario
#$&^ marketing.. so tired of this.
I thought I was close to the end hours and hours ago, so I've put off eating and sleeping till I get C, D, and E, and E is whooping my butt.

Ferrio

Banned
Making my way through C. I don't see any game topping it this year, and hands down my favorite game on the PS4. The story and it blending with the gameplay elements have been sublime.

I actually like this better than the original Nier and I played that shit when it came out. I find the story and characters for Nier 1 to be stronger (also combined with the novelty of a character setting you don't normally see in video games), but the themes present in Nier: Automata combined with gameplay, characters (that I liked, mileage may vary for others) and more specifically what the gameplay and themes were accomplishing that elevate it to me.

It's like Nier was a really really good story with characters I loved with pretty surface but well executed themes and Nier: Automata was a decent enough story with okay characters that executed it's deeper themes and tied everything into them incredibly well.

Iunno. It's just preference, I'd completely understand people getting drawn more into the first one but I had no real issues with 2B and 9S or the story itself on a surface level.

Nah, it's like everything in life-
either I get this on my own or I don't get it at all.

Yeah, uh...good luck with that.

Nah, it's like everything in life-
either I get this on my own or I don't get it at all.
I wanted to do the same. I spent like an hour and a half trying

After dying enough times the game makes all bullets useless on small enemies and forces you to restart. One of the most frustrating things I've probably ever seen in a game. That's great that they want to encourage you to just accept help and do it but come on man, let me give up on my own terms

I wanted to do the same. I spent like an hour and a half trying

After dying enough times the game makes all bullets useless on small enemies and forces you to restart. One of the most frustrating things I've probably ever seen in a game. That's great that they want to encourage you to just accept help and do it but come on man, let me give up on my own terms

yea, i had the same issue. it's definitely the lowest point of the game.

go with japanese. 2b sounds like my mom in english.

It is literally the highest point in the game for me and many others.

I think the way people approach video games is going to make opinions about this incredibly divisive.

Labolas

Finished D and E.
So are A2, 2B and 9S alive at the end? Can someone explained this to me? Was confused at that one bit? Also man, I wished you guys would have told that the final "boss" of the game is the credit and was essentially the hacking minigame again. Was a bit bummed out about that. But yeah, definitely a great game. It's up there with in the upper tier Platinum's stuff, but it isn't their best work imo. A2 is the best character in the game to me followed by 2B and then 9S. I loved A2. Best mechanically feeling character in the game. She's definitely a Platinum character in terms of her gameplay. 2B is great as well, but wow am I crazy for A2. 9S is the weakest one of the trio for me. At first I didn't mind, the hacking minigames in Route B but then I got to a section in C where you had to hack those chests. Yeah those chests. I didn't like it. I found that way more frustrating than fun. 9S though has the best character arc of the three no doubt. Watching him go insane after losing 2B, I'm like, I feel you. Seeing Popola and Devola and stuff from old Nier was a treat as well. Btw, speaking of characters to other games, where the fuck is Accord? I was totally expecting to see her at some point. I guess I can expect to see her in the next game. Whether that be another Nier or Darkengard.

Okay this is definitely Yoko Taro's best work because it has a fan-fucking-tastic story AND gameplay. This game definitely deserves an award for best story and music for sure.

Theswweet

q0K0rz0.png

Next week can't come fast enough.

Edit: I should say, Amazon.co.jp ALWAYS takes less than 48 hours to get to me, but the site always guesses it'll take much longer.

LotusHD

Banned
Finished D and E.
So are A2, 2B and 9S alive at the end? Can someone explained this to me? Was confused at that one bit? Also man, I wished you guys would have told that the final "boss" of the game is the credit and was essentially the hacking minigame again. Was a bit bummed out about that. But yeah, definitely a great game. It's up there with in the upper tier Platinum's stuff, but it isn't their best work imo. A2 is the best character in the game to me followed by 2B and then 9S. I loved A2. Best mechanically feeling character in the game. She's definitely a Platinum character in terms of her gameplay. 2B is great as well, but wow am I crazy for A2. 9S is the weakest one of the trio for me. At first I didn't mind, the hacking minigames in Route B but then I got to a section in C where you had to hack those chests. Yeah those chests. I didn't like it. I found that way more frustrating than fun. 9S though has the best character arc of the three no doubt. Watching him go insane after losing 2B, I'm like, I feel you. Seeing Popola and Devola and stuff from old Nier was a treat as well. Btw, speaking of characters to other games, where the fuck is Accord? I was totally expecting to see her at some point. I guess I can expect to see her in the next game. Whether that be another Nier or Darkengard.

Okay this is definitely Yoko Taro's best work because it has a fan-fucking-tastic story AND gameplay. This game definitely deserves an award for best story and music for sure.

Feel free to come to the Spoiler thread. But yes, they are alive.

Not even remotely close to being the lowest point lol
If we're defining "lowest" as "bad/not good" I'd definitely say it is.
I appreciate the wackiness and quirks, and the argument can be made that it feels the themes of effort being meaningless but......yeah fuck that.

Only other "bad" part that sticks out is the desert nightmare boss with A2. Just complete nonsense lol

NOTE: I'm talking about the point where your bullets just don't work anymore and you have to restart. E itself is incredible

LotusHD

Banned
If we're defining "lowest" as "bad/not good" I'd definitely say it is.
I appreciate the wackiness and quirks, and the argument can be made that it feels the themes of effort being meaningless but......yeah fuck that

Again, I completely disagree.

EDIT:

Oh, well that's different. I mean, the whole point is to accept help, but I see your point I guess.

TFW 94% discovered characters and have searched for 2 hours for 1 new one and have come up empty handed.

WTF enhanced snake (drill variant) or enhanced cone head dude. $$$

edit: or one bi-ped EMP dude. I can't remember what chapter the EMP dudes show up.

(Ending E spoilers)
I do think
turning the names invincible if you die too many times
was a really weird decision.
Either there shouldn't be any brickwall, or the brickwall should be obvious and unavoidable, like a superboss that spits out so many bullets that you need additional firepower to hit it.

TI82

Banned
Got my 1070 today and tried to play in 4k with ultra settings. Runs at constant 30fps though so won't be doing that again.

(Ending E spoilers)
I do think
turning the names invincible if you die too many times
was a really weird decision.
Either there shouldn't be any brickwall, or the brickwall should be obvious and unavoidable, like a superboss that spits out so many bullets that you need additional firepower to hit it.

yes, that would've been much better.

Jiraiza

q0K0rz0.png

Next week can't come fast enough.

Edit: I should say, Amazon.co.jp ALWAYS takes less than 48 hours to get to me, but the site always guesses it'll take much longer.

Oh baby, I can't wait to listen to the music to work everyday. It will accentuate the depressing reality that I have to work 8 hour workdays for 5 days a week as a corporate slave!

I really didn't get any sort of emotional impact from Ending E, so some of the reactions here seem very overblown to me in hindsight. Maybe it's my own fault for expecting something grand when all it turns out to be
is a nice, gamey 4th wall breaking credits sequence. I'm not going to cry because someone out there thought "Oh, this is a cool idea, yeah, I guess I'll delete my save, lol."

Alienfan

Got my 1070 today and tried to play in 4k with ultra settings. Runs at constant 30fps though so won't be doing that again.

If you get the game running at a stable 60 on any settings, please share the secret :p
The game is almost worse than Arkham Knight on the PC

DLC can't come soon enough.

What do you guys hope for DLC?

I personally want a full costume of Zero for A2, or atleast for all the ladies. Including flower in the eye etc..
Zero_%28Drakengard%29.png

And Kaine & Nier outfit for the ladies, Nier outfit also for 9S though.
DD3_Zero_DLC_Outfit_-_Kain%C3%A9.png
DD3_Zero_DLC_Outfit_-_NieR.png

Also I want some kind of colloseum where all enemies are level 99. Where bosses show up sometimes. Something like a bloody palace from the DMC series.

Philtastic

I really didn't get any sort of emotional impact from Ending E, so some of the reactions here seem very overblown to me in hindsight. Maybe it's my own fault for expecting something grand when all it turns out to be
is a nice, gamey 4th wall breaking credits sequence. I'm not going to cry because someone out there thought "Oh, this is a cool idea, yeah, I guess I'll delete my save, lol."

[Route E major spoilers and overall game theme spoilers]
The impact of Route E is more philosophical and is the culmination of one of the main messages of the game: we are often dealt a poor hand in life, perhaps facing endless death and loss, but, putting aside our differences and through willing sacrifices, we can fight the powers that be (symbolically represented by the names of the developers and companies, particularly the juggernaut that is Square Enix). The song that plays, "Weight of the World", is about a girl who dreams of saving the world and continues to fight even though she's only one person and the struggle seems meaningless. Your fellow players willingly give up their saves (ie. their android memories/backups) to aid you in your fight as other androids did for others throughout the game, particularly shown through 9S and his cycle of memory loss, some of which is voluntary such as uploading 2B's backup data ahead of his own in the prologue and asking 2B to kill him at the end of Route A which could have erased his memories). Additional voices join in singing Weight of the World: you no longer dream of a better world alone. Is victory and change certain? Are we doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past and continue the cycle of violence? That remains up to us and the choices that we make once we know the truth (ie. 2B, 9S, and A2 retain their memories).

Edit:
On further thinking about Route E, this is basically the fulfillment of 2B's wish from the first lines of the game: you slay the gods to bring new hope to the world.

robotrock

Banned
Enjoyed the new stuff introduced in Route B. Definitely more promising than Route A was.

Starting Route C tomorrow at like level 37 hope I don't have to drop the difficulty lmao

Mailbox

If you get the game running at a stable 60 on any settings, please share the secret :p

Oh don't be hyperbolic. I run a 970 and the game is basically constant 60fps (baring 1 area of the game) w/o the GI fix.

It's not a Arkham Knight situation at all

robotrock

Banned

ya'll need the fix, I think it's called FAR? never had arkham knight levels performance, but had some annoying stuttering. the mod fixes it though, definitely gave me a solid 60 on the highest settings (no AA though) on a 970.

pc performance thread here

Exentryk

Really enjoying Route B so far (the opening cutscene
was so sad
). I didn't like the
long shooting focussed section
at the start
in the factory
, and I'm not a fan of the
hacking minigame
. But
9S is
so OP, and
his spear throw move
can destroy everything pretty quickly. Just did the
desert boss
in like 20 secs, haha.

Oh, and came across this traffic violation notice. Guess Saito-san (game producer) like to speed :p

Philippo

I'm at beginning of Route C and i've had a question for a while, just tell me if this gets answered later or not:
is it ever explained why Adam & Eve are what they are? Like, were they conceived to be android-looking machines and basically the head of the machines system, or they just become extremely powerful out of randomness?

Top Bottom