• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Exentryk

Lol, filthy lottery ticket!

N6H0AI3.jpg

Philippo

Is there a preferred order to
choose between A2 and 9S
at the start of Route C?
I istintively
went with Nines
but i hope i didn't screw up the logical thread of some cutscenes.

Gbraga

How long is a single playthrough? And do all routes take the same?

From what I hear (still on Route A myself), the first can go from 10 to 25 hours, depending on how much side content you do, but everyone seems to agree that in 35~40 hours you can finish all of the routes.

This game is totally the other side of the coin of FFXV.

Nier:A is probably what I was expecting FF to go, in terms of themes, wrting quality and good plot.

And when I finished XV the more I thought about the game the more dissapointed I was, with Nier:A the more I thought about it the more I like it and the more I think is definetly GOTY and possibly GOTG for me. Yes, I liked it more than Zelda.

Gbraga

Nier:A is probably what I was expecting FF to go, in terms of themes, wrting quality and good plot.

And when I finished XV the more I thought about the game the more dissapointed I was, with Nier:A the more I thought about it the more I like it and the more I think is definetly GOTY and possibly GOTG for me. Yes, I liked it more than Zelda.

I think you're giving Square-Enix way too much credit if you expected that from FFXV. :p

Be it Tabata + Itamuro or Nomura + Nojima, even though I think both teams can make great games, I would never expect a story/writing on the level of a Nier game from either of them, to be honest.

And I say this as someone who thinks KH II is one of the best games ever made, and I'm incredibly excited for KH III and FFVII Remake (GOTY 2038 and 2090).

Ah, damn it Route C.

I forgot that when you die, you stay dead. I've been a bit reckless with saving recently. Thankfully I'd only done a few sidequests, but it's still a lesson learnt.

Ferr986

I dunno. I don't see Nier as a good replacement FF.

I do think FF should approach Nier style of writing in it's story (although talking solely about characters I'm not ashamed to think I enjoyed Noctis and the gang more than 2B and 9S so far, story is way better on Nier though that's for sure), while maybe approaching FF12 in terms of gameplay (both Nier:A and FF15 aren't that good at open world design IMO, and Nier is full on action and you can see how people dislike that on FFs).

I think you're giving Square-Enix way too much credit if you expected that from FFXV. :p

Be it Tabata + Itamuro or Nomura + Nojima, even though I think both teams can make great games, I would never expect a story/writing on the level of a Nier game from either of them, to be honest.

And I say this as someone who thinks KH II is one of the best games ever made, and I'm incredibly excited for KH III and FFVII Remake (GOTY 2038 and 2090).

IS not that expected XV to be like Nier, more like I wanted FF, the series, to explore some of the themes Nier:A does. At least to some degree.

XV is a reflection how stalemate storytelling, themes and characters has become on the main series. Nier is a breath of fresh air in the genre(how many JRPG tackles philosophy as Nier:A does?), something that the series urgently need (or at least they should grab someone that could write).

I dunno. I don't see Nier as a good replacement FF.

I do think FF should approach Nier style of writing in it's story (although talking solely about characters I'm not ashamed to think I enjoyed Noctis and the gang more than 2B and 9S so far, story is way better on Nier though that's for sure), while maybe approaching FF12 in terms of gameplay (both Nier:A and FF15 failed at open world design IMO, and Nier is full on action and you can see how people dislike that on FFs).

Were are you? Because the dynamics between 2B and 9S ends way more powerful and meaningful than anything in the XV gang.

Ferr986

I

Were are you? Because the dynamics between 2B and 9S ends way more powerful and meaningful than anything in the XV gang.

Midway through Route B. My problem is that the cast isn't very likeable, especially 2B that is just plain boring. 9S is better though, and he makes 2B a lil more tolerable lol

FFXV story was absolutely shit and the secondary characters (Luna, etc) were bad beyond repair but I found the bros very likeable, even if their interactions between them weren't fleshed enough (probably less than Nier:A).

IS not that expected XV to be like Nier, more like I wanted FF, the series, to explore some of the themes Nier:A does.

Yeah this is what I meant and what I really agree. Some nice themes in both Niers that should be explored more in RPGs (especially japanese ones). Even something minor like the (route B spoilers)
Simone backstory about how she tried to be pretty because that what she learned from humans and how useless it ended up being
is really good stuff. I do think Nier 1 is better story wise that almost all FF's if only because how powerful
the story of both Niers and their fall in their shared objective
is.

Midway through Route B. My problem is that the cast isn't very likeable, especially 2B that is just plain boring. 9S is better though, and he makes 2B a lil more tolerable lol

FFXV story was absolutely shit and the secondary characters (Luna, etc) were bad beyond repair but I found the bros very likeable, even if their interactions between them weren't fleshed enough (probably less than Nier:A).

I'd say that the "companionship" in XV was really well done, even if ultimately it was a bit flat. Even so,I think 2B and 9S relationship ends more interesting, even if the banter is not as good as XV.

Yeah this is what I meant and what I really agree. Some nice themes in both Niers that should be explored more in RPGs (especially japanese ones). Even something minor like the (route B spoilers)
Simone backstory about how she tried to be pretty because that what she learned from humans and how useless it ended up being
is really good stuff.

Your spoiler is even more interesting when you
realize that is based (or maybe a very liberal interpretation) on Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre relationship.

Kuni

I have to say the open world stuff is starting to burn me out already.

I'm only in Route A still and just saw A2 but the side mission stuff is just not that rewarding and just kills the pacing (as always in open worlds these days). Have seen people say it gets god tier later but that's the olde FFXIII argument and still not a good thing imo.

I loved the demo as well. One of the big reasons was it wasn't open world and had great, well paced, set pieces and moments.

Going to give it another go now and just skip the side content. Seen folk say B is much better \ more of the same so we'll see how it goes.

I just wished it wasn't open world tbh. Far too many games just fall into the classic pitfalls of that design and it's all getting a bit too much (especially after playing Horizon, which just nailed it).

Pretty much in the same boat

Exentryk

Damn, that
Wandering Couple
quest. Wasn't expecting that at all! Taro is really good with toying with your expectations.
Also, I wonder what happens
if you refuse to wipe his memories?

I have to say the open world stuff is starting to burn me out already.

I'm only in Route A still and just saw A2 but the side mission stuff is just not that rewarding and just kills the pacing (as always in open worlds these days). Have seen people say it gets god tier later but that's the olde FFXIII argument and still not a good thing imo.

I loved the demo as well. One of the big reasons was it wasn't open world and had great, well paced, set pieces and moments.

Going to give it another go now and just skip the side content. Seen folk say B is much better more of the same so we'll see how it goes.

I just wished it wasn't open world tbh. Far too many games just fall into the classic pitfalls of that design and it's all getting a bit too much (especially after playing Horizon, which just nailed it).
What? Horizon has way more boring fetch quests... I love HZD but it is full of shitty quests that add less to their respective world

is really good stuff. I do think Nier 1 is better story wise that almost all FF's if only because how powerful
the story of both Niers and their fall in their shared objective
is.
You will be ashamed of your words and deeds... There is a reason for it all.
Also, wait until you get the engine blade and a good slowdown chip. It becomes the ffxv you never knew you wanted.

VRMN

Is there a preferred order to
choose between A2 and 9S
at the start of Route C?
I istintively
went with Nines
but i hope i didn't screw up the logical thread of some cutscenes.
I will say there was a part where I discovered something as 9S
because I made a point to reactivate the downed terminals immediately, but that something didn't happen until I played as A2.
So there is an order, but I'll just say the effect was probably worse because
I knew what had to happen when I got there as A2.

Kuni

What? Horizon has way more boring fetch quests... I love HZD but it is full of shitty quests that add less to their respective world

For me Horizon was better paced in how it managed side quests and main stuff mingled together. I found it was breadcrumbed better. That being said there was some moments later in the game where it was a bit much yeah. Certainly the best recent example of how to manage this stuff though imo (not played Zelda yet).

Taruranto

I just got to ending A and the game has been pretty disappointing coming from the first Nier. Dull characters, a dull setting, terrible antagonists (those twins..ugh, I don't even want to see them return for their inevitable backstories), and an open world that is largely meaningless. The side quests have been pretty bereft of much narrative either, but that's not much different from the first game. Hopefully that really was just the prologue because I keep waiting for Yoko Taro stuff to happen. Right now it feels like Nier with better combat, but a worse cast of characters and far less panache.

B route is a bit better, you'll able to skip most side quests so the plot will progress faster. B route's exclusive side quests are a tad more interesting too. The game doesn't really pick up steam until C, however.

For what I played, the characters interactions never get as good as Nier 1.

For me Horizon was better paced in how it managed side quests and main stuff mingled together. I found it was breadcrumbed better. That being said there was some moments later in the game where it was a bit much yeah. Certainly the best recent example of how to manage this stuff though imo (not played Zelda yet).
Yeah, i can agree that it was integrated pretty organically. Zelds's is done well too. I'm getting sick of open world games but somehow Automata felt more like a hub world. Like the first game or OoT. I got yakuza vibes too, since it was a smaller, more intimate area that I got attached to.

This game does a lot of things in its open world I really appreciate

1) side quests that have you collecting items, will spawn enemies with guaranteed drops of them and mark them on the map. No bullshit RNG farming for quest drops. This makes the less well designed quests keep from being frustrating, and with only 60 side quests its easy to get through them all.

2) Upgrades arent horribly obtuse and require going out of your way for. By the time you beat the game you will easily max out 5-6 weapons just from drops during the game. If you are going for 100% by the time you finish most quests you will have well over half maxed. In order to 100% the game though you have to max all, so see point 3.

3) All but like 2 items show up at vendors by the end of the game. When maxing out all weapons, I had to do like 2 seconds of additional farming since Simple Gadgets dont show up at vendors, and I couldnt find somewhere to buy small gears. The game actually remained fun throughout the 100% run. (well near 100%, I didnt catch every fish, and im short 4 unit data.)

4) no map vomit. Exploration is still rewarded with hidden weapons, but you arent being led around by crap markers of unfun shit.

5) You move really quickly without having to require a mount, and there is no stamina meter. Even with the stumble mechanic, a quick tap of R2 and you are sprinting again.

Haganeren

I actually loved the side quest in that game... Oh sure there is some bad one (like, i have no interest of doing a race with that flying machine) but it's like a lot all of them is set to have a tragic ending somehow, there is nearly always a "catch".

For a lot of reason i can't spoil, i think doing some side quest (maybe not ALL of them) make the player enjoye the game a lot more... Especially since the game is short, it makes 2B and 9S to interact more for starter.

But also
I screamed "THAT F*CKING PHILOSOPHER" when i recognized.... Jean Paul i think ? Because it was SURE this guy won't give Simone any attention. The fact he is a robot make it worst, he literally most likely isn't equiped to give Simone any attention... Which added to the tragedy. And then i thought that a lot of human would have had the same kind of interaction...

The android who forgot who killed her best friend, well everyone can suppose it was her.... And it was the case but this is how we learn about the special squadron of android "Exterminator" which 2B ended up to be. (Which explain why she screamed "It always happen" as she strangle 9S... And why she is so aloof with him)

Even something simple like "I want to see flowers" from Operator 60 that you end up killing in the bunker as she says "Thanks for the flowers"... So heartbreaking... There is also that Goliath who end up regretting what he has done and 2B suggesting that they are no better.

All those quest finish kinda badly... And a lot of those who seems to finish fine... Can also have a tragic turn with the main quest.

For those reason, i mostly loved how they handled the side quest content... And i was coming from Zelda who do it "better" in term of presentation and "content" (but of course less good in term of story) so i was already hard to please !

I really think this game is a masterpiece in story telling.

3) All but like 2 items show up at vendors by the end of the game. When maxing out all weapons, I had to do like 2 seconds of additional farming since Simple Gadgets dont show up at vendors, and I couldnt find somewhere to buy small gears. The game actually remained fun throughout the 100% run. (well near 100%, I didnt catch every fish, and im short 4 unit data.)

Oh, sometime you can see that marchant
Emil
going crazy in the map, when i finally managed to stop him, he could sell me a lot more crafting material than usual. Including Small Gears.

Philippo

I will say there was a part where I discovered something as 9S
because I made a point to reactivate the downed terminals immediately, but that something didn't happen until I played as A2.
So there is an order, but I'll just say the effect was probably worse because
I knew what had to happen when I got there as A2.

So it's
A2->9S
?

Curufinwe

I went all the way thru the factory as soon as I started the first real mission, but the original body is not there.

I guess I need to wait till after I do something else for it to show up.

Route C help
Is there any way to save before the bossfight in the second resource unit? Please don't tell me I have to do all those hacking minigames again just to be killed in two hits by the boss :/

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Route C

oVtTDwZ.jpg

How the heck do you get this chest? Am I supposed to jump on that ledge from the stairs?

Continue past Factory:hangar savepoint. After the conveyor belt, keep climbing the spiral staircase until you see a gap. Jump down that gap and search around it to reach that chest. I think it's only middle recovery, so feel free to skip it. But, in the room after going down the gap is a hidden enemy that needed for certain side quest

100% weapon and pod upgrade. Only need to finish that *one* sidequest

Awesome, I'm on Route C, nipped to get a drink while I booted up the game from the Ps4 main menu and just realised
they even updated the intro trailer thing that plays after idle at the title screen
. Small thing but very cool. I came back and was like wtf

(no explicit plot spoilers in the tags, just being mindful)

Guys, what's your favorite song of this game? (Not including songs from the original NieR, like Song of the Ancients, Kaine or Emil's songs.)

I haven't played the original game so wouldn't be surprised if this is a call back to that but I really love the song that plays
at Kaine's shack? I think that's the name. The place Emil shows you with all the Lunar Tears.

Awesome, I'm on Route C, nipped to get a drink while I booted up the game from the Ps4 main menu and just realised
they even updated the intro trailer thing that plays after idle at the title screen
. Small thing but very cool. I came back and was like wtf

(no explicit plot spoilers in the tags, just being mindful)

Yes, you can tell a lot of love went into the production of this game. It's all the little things adding up.

red731

I will buy this once I finish HZD and next months pay comes.

Watching Lirik's stream just me a total believer. Like holy shit the EVERYTHING.

Music, combat, pace, that...swiftness. Dear baby jesus.

Top Bottom