• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Philippo

I'm going deep down to
Emil's house
, but i arrived at a dead end with a closed door. Am i doing something wrong?

Also, is there a guide for quickest way to weapon collecting and upgrade? I want to do this quickly before P5 comes out.

Exentryk

Just finished Route B.
A big reveal there with the humans being already extinct. Other than that, it mostly added a little more background to stuff, but it was still the same thing.
I enjoyed it none the less, as it was pretty easy to get through stuff with OP 9S even on hard mode.

Will start C in a little bit. The
title page change and the small cutscene after B and before C
looked great!

Airan

I'm going deep down to
Emil's house
, but i arrived at a dead end with a closed door. Am i doing something wrong?

Also, is there a guide for quickest way to weapon collecting and upgrade? I want to do this quickly before P5 comes out.

You gotta
talk to him first. Exit the shop menu, then he says "You want to know where I live?" at which point the door unlocks.

Airan

Someone explain the rationale behind disabling lock-on in Hard mode. I can't be a badass mofo while I'm constantly having to reorient the camera to face enemies which hop about.

I mean, even in Mob fights it's nice to be able to quickly lock-on to your next trash mob. In boss fights it just makes the camera angle incredibly 'boring' for Platinum game.

Someone explain the rationale behind disabling lock-on in Hard mode. I can't be a badass mofo while I'm constantly having to reorient the camera to face enemies which hop about.

I mean, even in Mob fights it's nice to be able to quickly lock-on to your next trash mob. In boss fights it just makes the camera angle incredibly 'boring' for Platinum game.
Yeah, from playing the demo I was under the impression that lock on was just for the pod. Didn't realize it was a full on lock function at first

I like playing Platinum games on harder difficulties but I just stuck with normal. It still spikes decently enough on later routes if you don't overlevel yourself

It's not something I expected to happen with the game but I've really enjoyed how the
hacking
mechanic has allowed me to approach combat/quests in ways I wouldn't normally.

For example, with the
Game Dev Machine
side quest where you have to collect
certain wires for the game developer machine, I started stealthily hacking machines and subjugating them so as not to aggro the other machines. Particularly in the Amusement Park where attacking one 'friendly' machine aggros dozens of them, I was able to hack one of the big balloon gun toting machines, wipe out machines at range until I got the item I needed, let him blow up and none of the machines realised it was me! Anyone else had some fun with the subjugation hacking mechanic?
One of those nice "I wonder if X will work..." moments I didn't expect.

Also thanks to everyone recommending using a spear with
9S
and using the
hacking/explosion
for crowd control, enjoying it a lot more than before.

Philippo

In my head canon Father Servo is dressed that way and into figthing because he randomly found a copy of Street Fighter in the city ruins

You gotta
talk to him first. Exit the shop menu, then he says "You want to know where I live?" at which point the door unlocks.

Oooh there we go!

Also, is there a guide for the weapon upgrades trophy?

Finished Route C yesterday. Certainly a very good game with a deep story and interesting setting. Easily the best and most polished gameplay in the whole series.

Yet I was still a bit disappointed, especially with the characters. Compared to Drakengard 1-3 and Nier 1 they are rather boring.

It also lacks the melancholy of the first Nier game and the major WTF-stuff of Drakengard. The hacking-minigame was overused. Seriously, I didn't want to play anymore of it and it goes on and on ...

IMO it also should have been a linear game and not open world. I stopped doing side-quests in Route B. It was a chore to navigate the small, yet very winding and sometimes downright ugly world with all the invisible walls and fixed camera angels.

8 / 10

LotusHD

Banned
Finished Route C yesterday. Certainly a very good game with a deep story and interesting setting. Easily the best and most polished gameplay in the whole series.

Yet I was still a bit disappointed, especially with the characters. Compared to Drakengard 1-3 and Nier 1 they are rather boring.

It also lacks the melancholy of the first Nier game and the major WTF-stuff of Drakengard. The hacking-minigame was overused. Seriously, I didn't want to play anymore of it and it goes on and on ...

IMO it also should have been a linear game and not open world. I stopped doing side-quests in Route B. It was a chore to navigate the small, yet very winding and sometimes downright ugly world with all the invisible walls and fixed camera angels.

8 / 10

Did you do D and E too?

Exentryk

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!! Route C
opening delivers!!!

Thought that
we've finally defeated the bad guys, and now it'll be time to kick some usual machine butt, but god damn that virus. Poor Commander and the bunker... and 2B :(. Like everything did a complete 180 in a matter of minutes.
Wow!

Chose to woke up A2, and she is so awesome so far! Poor Pod lmao!
No idea what
these structures that rose from the ground are
, but it's time to go investigate. Will do that tomorrow I guess.

Damn, I'm still shook!

Oh okay, confused me there for a second lol
Didn't consider D and E as "routes" because it's merely a choice before the endings ^_^ - and yes, I sacrificed my savegame to help some poor soul. I didn't get any joke endings or the all weapons max ending. Might look them up on youtube later.

Curufinwe

Ending A spoilers

I know these androids are very human-like, but 2B killing 9S by gently choking him instead of using a weapon didn't play very well for me. It looked kind of silly.

Keasar

Nope, not even Amazon.de offers the soundtrack to me, same problem about the Credit Card and Address having to both be "local". Thought for a while it might be some Brexit shit but guess not.

I want the soundtrack, but not 55 euros-amount of want. I just want a digital copy but apparently my country is too shit to buy that but can freely import the physical CD for triple the amount. :/

muteki

Any incentive for me to go crazy with side quests my first time through?

I have all these dots on my map...but little desire to do anything but main story. At least until I unlock fast travel.

Ending A spoilers

I know these androids are very human-like, but 2B killing 9S by gently choking him instead of using a weapon didn't play very well for me. It looked kind of silly.

I'm sure
she could have punched a hole through his head or tore his head off but that might have been a bit grotesque. Her weapon was broken to be fair and she was running low on robo fuel or whatever. Accept the drama of it

I'm 10+ hours in and I am not finding the combat that enjoyable. Does it get better later with any additional mechanics? I remember Nier being more enjoyable and the sealed verses were better than the pod programs.

I'm 10+ hours in and I am not finding the combat that enjoyable. Does it get better later with any additional mechanics? I remember Nier being more enjoyable and the sealed verses were better than the pod programs.

Are you experimenting with plugin chips? You can add Bayonetta's witch time (Overclock), MGR's Parry (Counter), bullet detonation on hit, etc, plus later
characters play differently

Also almost all the Sealed Verses are in the game as Programs. Mirage is Phantasm, Spear is Execution, etc. There's a lot of Programs.

Vexii

Tiny bit of a joke post, but I'm just done my 2nd playthrough...

I really liked the part where I unlocked
the game's own freaking sequel
! What the fuck! I didn't expect that!!

Are you experimenting with plugin chips? You can add Bayonetta's witch time (Overclock), MGR's Parry (Counter), bullet detonation on hit, etc, plus later
characters play differently

Also almost all the Sealed Verses are in the game as Programs. Mirage is Phantasm, Spear is Execution, etc. There's a lot of Programs.
I know the programs function as the sealed verses but they seem watered down. Do they evolve when you upgrade your pod? Part of the problem is the cool down.

Moaradin

I know the programs function as the sealed verses but they seem watered down. Do they evolve when you upgrade your pod? Part of the problem is the cool down.

Well, you can get the cooldown shorter with plugins, and some have no cooldown like
Wire

Also, they do get better when you have more pods. You can charge them up to level 3 and they gain different effects.

Top Bottom