• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

I know the programs function as the sealed verses but they seem watered down. Do they evolve when you upgrade your pod? Part of the problem is the cool down.
I believe they do, but more importantly you get multiple pods allowing you to chain together multiple programs. Dropping a gravity well on a bunch of guys and then bombarding it with grenades is super satisfying. Working that into a combo is even better

I know the programs function as the sealed verses but they seem watered down. Do they evolve when you upgrade your pod? Part of the problem is the cool down.

You can find 2 extra Pods and can also charge up the attacks for stronger effects. There are also Cooldown reduction chips so you can use your programs more often.

muetimueti

Neo Member
I couldn't find the materials in route A to upgrade my pod at all.

I never saw an upgrade part L and only managed to upgrade one pod twice, the others were still level 1. This was at the very end of the game, after just over 60 hours of playtime, I had all weapons maxed out.

Without spoiling too much, should I just burn through B really quickly? It's kind of repetitive. There are some sidequests I didn't do in A that I could do this time through, but my understanding is there will be other opportunities to hit those?

Airan

Oh man, the OST. I thought Possessed by Disease was mixed poorly in-game (at least, from what I heard on the YT rip. It was criminally underused in-game), but this official version... bliss.

Without spoiling too much, should I just burn through B really quickly? It's kind of repetitive. There are some sidequests I didn't do in A that I could do this time through, but my understanding is there will be other opportunities to hit those?

I thought B was a slog, and the unique parts weren't as good as Route A's unique parts (
Copied City...and I guess the religious cult robots, though that's still kinda in route B, just less fun than in A.
) so yeah, rush it, to get to the better stuff in C. You can do all the sidequests you want on a save where you got at least Ending C.

spiritfox

You should at least do the operator missions.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
@Shake Appeal

I thought B was a slog, and the unique parts weren't as good as Route A's unique parts (
Copied City...and I guess the religious cult robots, though that's still kinda in route B, just less fun than in A.
) so yeah, rush it, to get to the better stuff in C.

Don't take this opinion as being universally true.

I loved the extended gameplay options offered in B. Its just a different way to play the game, and an extremely effective way if you configure your chips appropriately.

All I can say is if you're finding it a slog, you're probably using a sub-optimal load-out.

There's an awful lot of new stuff in B, and its a great time to do side-quests and generally explore the world particularly as you're at a point where you know precisely when fast travel opens up.

@Shake Appeal

Don't take this opinion as being universally true.

I loved the extended gameplay options offered in B. Its just a different way to play the game, and an extremely effective way if you configure your chips appropriately.

All I can say is if you're finding it a slog, you're probably using a sub-optimal load-out.

There's an awful lot of new stuff in B, and its a great time to do side-quests and generally explore the world particularly as you're at a point where you know precisely when fast travel opens up.

It's not like I wasn't efficient in combat as 9S, with the chips you have available during Route B you're pretty much way overpowered already, he's just less fun to play as than 2B due to his limited moveset.

And then you're waiting the whole game for the moment were the narratives split up to get to the new stuff.
Turns out basically the entire second half is nothing but hacking + the same final boss and ending as before. Since those hacking sequences are mandatory they're not even particulary challenging and all you really learn is that humanity is long gone in a throwaway line that isn't followed up at all until Route C.
Seeing how this is coming between Route A and C with the actual, all-new content I thought it really dragged on.

Had they done the split-up between 2B and 9S
like they did the changing narrative between A2 and 9S in Route C it would've been much better imo. I'm sure they could've found another way to insert those little robot backstory scenes from Route B if they wanted them in there.

Yeah, I definitely much preferred the set up in Route C as well.
A2 was so fun to play as due to her interactions with Pod 042 and 9S really comes together as an interesting character in Route C, felt like he was just....okay before that but Route C changed my mind on him quite a lot.
Route B was definitely my least favourite of the lot by quite a considerable margin. OG Nier and Drakengard 1 had more interesting second time through/continuations at least until Route C came around.

Baalzebup

There are some (narratively) really good sidequests that are very much limited to either route A and/or B and playing them after the fact, while still possible, will reduce or negate their impact. Foreshadowing doesn't really work if you already know what it is shading.

There are some (narratively) really good sidequests that are very much limited to either route A and/or B and playing them after the fact, while still possible, will reduce or negate their impact. Foreshadowing doesn't really work if you already know what it is shading.

Im still mad at myself for not remembering "the point of no return" during the b route. I missed soooo many side quests..

Shahed

If a sidequest seems like it's locked to a specifc character, do it. Ideally as soon as you can before continuing with main story as long as you have fast travel

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pretty sick of getting one shot on hard mode. And the few seconds you need to recover a body are fatal.

Didn't pay attention to this game since I heard it was based on an anime or something, but after watching some videos I gotta say that it's pretty high on my backlog right now. Especially the parts with the carnival - that reminded me of old school games back in the day.

Mailbox

Didn't pay attention to this game since I heard it was based on an anime or something, but after watching some videos I gotta say that it's pretty high on my backlog right now. Especially the parts with the carnival - that reminded me of old school games back in the day.

Who told you that?
this game is an original work, and no, its nothing like anime.

edit: saying its a sequel to a stage play or to the original (also an original work) nier, is pretty apt though

Hektor

Automata isn't based on anything

brinstar

What's up with the
golden
enemies on B route? Without spoiling is there plot significance to them or are they just there for additional challenge?

Drinkel

Wow this hard difficulty is certainly something. Way more frustrating than I usually find other platinum games to be. The amount of one-shotting going on feels a bit unbalanced. Going to see if health/defense chips works out otherwise I'm just going to turn it down or save it for a later playthough.

I really like everything else so far though.

Baalzebup

What's up with the
golden
enemies on B route? Without spoiling is there plot significance to them or are they just there for additional challenge?
They are a kind of unlisted sidequest. There is a pod upgrade piece tied to them and if you listen to what they have to say, it can get pretty dark by the end.

I bought this game back on the 22nd, and I have 4 minutes of play time. This bad spell of bronchitis has made me severely neglect playing this game. Thankfully I'm feeling better today, so hopefully I can will myself to get a few hours in between coughing spells.

maskrider

Installed 1.06 today, the descriptions are "Fixed various bugs", but it introduced something new,

Not sure if I should spoiler tag this
Hacking Game

You can clearly see the problem introduced, not game breaking, but weird to become like this. I tried deleting the game on the drive and let it install again without installing the update, and it returned to normal like the one below

Raw

After re-installing 1.06, the issue returned.

killatopak

Gold Member
Installed 1.06 today, the descriptions are "Fixed various bugs", but it introduced something new,

Not sure if I should spoiler tag this
Hacking Game

You can clearly see the problem introduced, not game breaking, but weird to become like this. I tried deleting the game on the drive and let it install again without installing the update, and it returned to normal like the one below

Raw

After re-installing 1.06, the issue returned.

so that's what it was! I thought it was part of the game.

maskrider

One more problem happened, the game does not recognize my DLCs after reinstall with 1.06

nier-automata-1.06-lost-dlc.png

Trying to reinstall without 1.06, but it greets me with no DLC for Grimoire Weiss

nier-automata-reins-lost-dlc.png

Trying to have the game start with 1.06 and then re-install the DLCs, not sure if I can get them back until maybe 1.07, heh !

edit: tried a couple of sequences of re-installation, but still, not able to get them back ! I'll just wait for the next patch.

Wow this hard difficulty is certainly something. Way more frustrating than I usually find other platinum games to be. The amount of one-shotting going on feels a bit unbalanced. Going to see if health/defense chips works out otherwise I'm just going to turn it down or save it for a later playthough.

I really like everything else so far though.

if you're getting 1-shot, you might be a bit underleveled. If you're reasonably leveled, review your plug-in chip configuration. Improve your defensive plugins.

bryanee

Oh fucking hell I nearly had a heart attack. On my first play through and I do something and get ending K when I didn't intend to because I didn't think doing it would do that. Thankfully I didn't have to start again.

sjay1994

OK. Pretty big spoilers In
Route C
that section where
2b is infected with the virus and is walking away is fucking stupid. I got killed 2 times, once because the game randomly decided to put me in the stagger state, and I get punched of by a medium biped, and I got corner trapped by a bunch of small bipeds and the game refused to let me do anything about it

I eventually realized there is an optimal route for this section on my 3rd attempt, but man fuck this section. The idea is great, but the execution of it is incredibly annoying

I was so annoyed that
2B's death was overshadowed my irritation with the section

Roubjon

OK. Pretty big spoilers In
Route C
that section where
2b is infected with the virus and is walking away is fucking stupid. I got killed 2 times, once because the game randomly decided to put me in the stagger state, and I get punched of by a medium biped, and I got corner trapped by a bunch of small bipeds and the game refused to let me do anything about it

I eventually realized there is an optimal route for this section on my 3rd attempt, but man fuck this section. The idea is great, but the execution of it is incredibly annoying

I was so annoyed that
2B's death was overshadowed my irritation with the section

Yeah, I hear you.
When I was doing it, I accidentally fell into the tunnel pit that leads to the area with the dead aliens. I thought I was stuck down there because I couldn't climb the damn ladder back up.

Top Bottom