• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Golnei

Though the Type-3s do look better - I generally like the Type 40 weapon set, but the bracers have the weakest design of the lot.

Anyone have an extra Day One edition code for PS4?

Friend bought a used copy and was assured the code would work.

Code didn't work :-\

Would appreciate it!

This code...

tumblr_oitau6wcle1tw2hyao1_500.gif

...is flawless!

Grisby

Alright. That (8hrs in side quest spoiler)
Romeo+Juliet deal at the amusement park
was pretty funny.
Yes, including Machine Cores.

Favorite weapons,

Type-3 Fists, Engine Blade, Ancient Overlord
Oops, meant to say Type 40, because the final upgrade makes it conduct electricity when you stand still for a bit.
Nice those cores go for some sweet 10k. Probably going to upgrade the chip storage first because hey, that gets you more skills right.

I actually kind of like the default weapons. Walking around with a pair of samurai swords is pretty great. Almost kind of wonder if Plat put some chainsaws or whips in here ala Bayonetta.

Though the Type-3s do look better - I generally like the Type 40 weapon set, but the bracers have the weakest design of the lot.
Yeah, which disappointed me moreso since gauntlet-type weapons are my favorite weapon types in action titles. At least they play nice.

killatopak

Gold Member
So I'm looking at the unit list and I'm missing a ton of regular ol trashy mobs. I spent a lot of time killing everything I came across so I'm surprised I'm missing a lot of them. I just need that reconnaissance mission and I made a total of 1% progress last night in like 3 hours. 5% to go feels like an eternity.
Here's a wiki of the enemies. 95% is easy as the enemies are easily spawnable but the rare red ones which are the last 5% is pretty hard.

http://nierautomata.wiki.fextralife.com/Enemies

burgerdog

So how are you supposed to kill the lv99 you know who boss when he has a self destruct mechanic? Google failed me so I'm wondering if no one else is having problems with that attack.

I am so late to the party on this that I finally beat Ending D of Nier 1 tonight (with 40 out of 41 achievements). Now I can finally plow ahead on Automata for real.

I actually appreciated Nier being so light on lore. It's the same reason why it could have short, concise story scenes and extremely short endings that nevertheless feel like they bring closure.

And it's the same reason why it works as a tragedy - it's a tragedy based on ignorance, which doesn't feel contrived because the player is not omniscient and really doesn't know much more than the characters.

Meanwhile my progress in Automata really drives home how Nier had a total lack of flamboyant or theatrical villains.

Golnei

Meanwhile my progress in Automata really drives home how Nier had a total lack of flamboyant or theatrical villains.

I'd say Grimoire Noir would count as one, but he was fairly minor - overall, I definitely found him to be less of an annoyance than
Adam and Eve.
Of course, the presentation helps - I'd probably find a lot of that dialogue less endearing if it was coming from a character that looks like
Adam
rather than a book with DC Douglas' voice.

Greddleok

I'm about 9 hours in and really enjoying it so far.

I'm just doing side quest after side quest because, despite the quests being kinda boring, the little stories that come with them are great.
My biggest gripe is that after Zelda, the open world feels so fake. Full of invisible walls and artificial blockades.

I just started. I tried that first mission on hard like 5 times before turning it down to normal. It's been a LONG time since I've given up on something in a video game.

Ferr986

Hey I needed
those items for upgrades!

You monster!

.... I'll probably need them too :(

I am so late to the party on this that I finally beat Ending D of Nier 1 tonight (with 40 out of 41 achievements). Now I can finally plow ahead on Automata for real.

I actually appreciated Nier being so light on lore. It's the same reason why it could have short, concise story scenes and extremely short endings that nevertheless feel like they bring closure.

And it's the same reason why it works as a tragedy - it's a tragedy based on ignorance, which doesn't feel contrived because the player is not omniscient and really doesn't know much more than the characters.

This is something I agree and I always say when people say background story (from Grimoire Nier) should be added to the game. It would work against the story of the character and how the twists are set up.

PBalfredo

I find it funny that the Bunker is depicted in grayscale as if to signify that it is a cold and unfeeling place, but I find it to be one of the more livelier "towns" in the game due to the banter and little interactions between the operators and the soldiers. Especially since the game's opening establishes that the bodies of androids are ultimately disposable, but despite that, the operators are often very concerned about the well being of the androids in their care. It's a nice little twist on expectations that I appreciated.

Golnei

My theory is that the designation is known but not the purpose.

9S
didn't even know the designation
during Amnesia, though. You could ascribe that to being reset, but something as integral to the composition of YoRHa as a basic model type that's openly referred to would seem odd to be beyond his knowledge.

Maybe only 2B and the operator knew she was actually an E unit, there to hunt down the deserter; so she'd know in advance and be able to assist if anything went wrong?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well there goes that theory. :p

I think that it's known that they exist, but unless they are assigned to a specific target they work as regular battle androids.
I mean it's pretty trivial for an Android to be disguised, just switch bodies.

The-RPG-Lawyer

Neo Member
After I comprehend the storyline from drakengard 1 until automata, all I can say that Yoko Taro should be the next Kojima or even Nomora in terms of attention which lead inevitably to a greater funding. That being said, I am a little bit disappointed of the lack of answers realted to the previousv installments, espicially Drakengard 1 in Automata.
Also, the depth of the characters we have seen in Nier 1 is far more advanced than Automata. Sure, Automata has great storytelling fraturing interesting characters, but not compared to Kaine and Emil's background stories. I swear the stories of those two characters kept me awake for nights!
All I wish for is that Yoko Taro works on Final Fantasy one day as he wishes.

Ferr986

Oh wow, the ost mix and arrangement is very different from the soundtrack on YouTube.

Nier 1 OST had a different (better) structure for a lot of tracks, making them different than the game rips. Dunno how it is in Automata but considering how many different variants of a track it has (3+ vocals), it's probably the same.

Want to hear it but so afraid of spoilers lol

Do you suspend often? It's like literally every time for me. Really annoying. I've lost data once from it.

Had to suspend a couple of times because I couldn't wait to reach a save area and it worked fine to me.

Gbraga

So how are you supposed to kill the lv99 you know who boss when he has a self destruct mechanic? Google failed me so I'm wondering if no one else is having problems with that attack.

Kill him before he explodes. Maybe get back there when you're level 79 or so, you should be able to kill him before he even starts to charge up that move.

burgerdog

Kill him before he explodes. Maybe get back there when you're level 79 or so, you should be able to kill him before he even starts to charge up that move.

Tried it again and it blew up right as the battle ended and dialogue popped up on the screen briefly :lol Set it to easy mode after that and got it over with since the battle itself is super boring, just pod spam.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
WTF Square Enix.....your 1.04 patch breaks this game for many people (garbled text bug) and it's been over a week and nothing at all....no new patch, or even acknowledgement you're working on it. And yes, I contacted them also on their help page and besides a vague "We received your email", no other response.

Pretty bummed out that I can't play this game due to shoddy patch QA....luckily I'm not very far and won't have too much to redo (if necessary). But damn.....fix this shit SE!!!!!!!!

Baalzebup

If the yorha type E is such a secret, why is there one in the very first part of the fame flying with your squad?
I mean, consider who you're playing as. She would know all about that designation. It's not like we have the HUD from any of the other androids on the mission.

WTF Square Enix.....your 1.04 patch breaks this game for many people (garbled text bug) and it's been over a week and nothing at all....no new patch, or even acknowledgement you're working on it. And yes, I contacted them also on their help page and besides a vague "We received your email", no other response.

Pretty bummed out that I can't play this game due to shoddy patch QA....luckily I'm not very far and won't have too much to redo (if necessary). But damn.....fix this shit SE!!!!!!!!
I like the text bug. Makes
hacking
feel much more cryptic :p

Gbraga

its only boring if you are pod spamming

I don't know, I focused on using melee with the Fang of the Twins for crit damage and it was also pretty boring. He should hit as hard as he does when you're underleveled, but take as long as he does when you're overleveled. The moveset just isn't varied enough for such a long fight, it just drags.

It's the complete opposite of most of the main story bosses, where if you've been exploring and doing side content, you have to actually stop fighting and just dodge if you don't want to miss dialogue and some new moves, because of how fast they die.

Man, if they patch a no-leveling fixed difficulty, I'll start another playthrough right away. It'd be awesome.

jett

D-Member
lol I just got an "ending"
Ending "I", I think it says? Guess you can't leave 9S hanging for too long after the Adam boss fight or stray too far off from the area. All those dead bodies lying around are just too tempting.

That's annoying though, now I have like a half hour/an hour of game time to make up. I really need to save more often.

Ferr986

I don't remember a game overusing a minigame so much than this one with the shmup minigames, both areas and hacking.

I'm at (route c)
second dungeon when you have to hack a lot of stuff and Im just tired of it.

Golnei

It is oversaturated, but overall I think the padding was necessary for pacing - at least for how it was utilised in story sequences. I'd much rather they resorted to an overused minigame to deliver those sequences rather than omitting them entirely, if the available budget wouldn't allow them to have fully featured cutscenes or unique gameplay segments / setpieces.

Top Bottom