• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

"Or not to e" ending achieved just before bedtime. What an experience seeing this journey through 9S' eyes that was. Looking forward to starting route [C] after work tomorrow!

Golnei

I guess it'd have probably have been too likely to glitch for an official release (including the debug mode at all was surprising) but I wish they'd have let you spawn a wider range of enemies, including bosses. At least the humanoid ones - being able to fight
Adam, Eve, A2 or 9S while scaling their levels would have been great - the standard YoRHa units are fun, but the Pod abilities and unique moves given to the Route C/D end bosses
make them more enjoyable enemies. And did I just not look hard enough, or are the unique machines like the
Godzilla and pack leader
one not able to be selected through the menu? (Also, does spawning pigeons actually do anything?)

I hope that it'll be possible to extend that functionality through Cheat Engine or dedicated trainers in future - it'd be amazing if it could reach the level of DMC4's tools; although there's of course a drastically lower incentive for people to play with this game's systems, there's also a more tangible framework for providing that functionality in the form of the game's existing debug mode. Just something that extends that to include a greater variety of actors (additionally, is there any reason why
Popola and Devola
couldn't be spawned? I didn't get a good look at them ingame, but are they using the standard YoRHa moveset?) and potentially set them to be enemies or allies would lead to a much wider variety of interesting setups.

(Also, the
A2 wig
really should have been equippable onto everyone. If we get basic model swapping, the first thing I'll try and do is see if we can swap some hairstyles - A2 would look so cute with Eve's short hair, and 2B would be interesting with a recoloured version of Popola's.)

Seven endings down, though only two main ones (coming to, I think, the end of Route
C
now - currently at the
Resource Recovery Unit in The Amusement Park. The Pascal/mass child suicide part of the story hit me in the feels, as you'd expect, though felt the fear-based
explanation came across as rather vague.

Talking of
The Amusement Park, I've noticed the strange rabbit with the horn statue out front is marked as an enemy. I wailed on it for a long time but couldn't get it to aggro. I had a little poke around online and it looks like this could be because I'm either under-levelled (I'm lvl 54) and/or because you can use hacked enemies to wake him up and that isn't possible on Route C due to zombies..? Is that the case?
If the answer is spoiler-y, I'm more than happy to take "try again later" haha.

Rizzi

The game is starting to feel really tedious to actually play at the moment.
Also how the fuck do I get up here?

66512D12C939E5F5C8913E4C94EA95D0565B5178

I tried jumping around, and nope invisible walls everywhere. Tried looking around for a way around, and I can't see anything and the terrible 3D map doesn't help.

LotusHD

Banned
Seven endings down, though only two main ones (coming to, I think, the end of Route
C
now - currently at the
Resource Recovery Unit in The Amusement Park. The Pascal/mass child suicide part of the story hit me in the feels, as you'd expect, though felt the fear-based
explanation came across as rather vague.

Talking of
The Amusement Park, I've noticed the strange rabbit with the horn statue out front is marked as an enemy. I wailed on it for a long time but couldn't get it to aggro. I had a little poke around online and it looks like this could be because I'm either under-levelled (I'm lvl 54) and/or because you can use hacked enemies to wake him up and that isn't possible on Route C due to zombies..? Is that the case?
If the answer is spoiler-y, I'm more than happy to take "try again later" haha.

Feel free to check out Pascal's Village real soon.

J-Skee

I should be getting this game in the mail today. What's the best control scheme? I've played the demo & still couldn't really come to terms with what they presented. Been playing too many games where the shoulder buttons are the attack buttons & couldn't get quite used to the face buttons doing that.

jett

D-Member
I'm about four hours in.

Is it me or this game super easy on normal difficulty and the combat one of the simplest Platinum Games has designed? I'm seeing all sorts of dead androids around and I can't say I understand why. :p

It's fun, it's a lot like the first game, except the world is needlessly massive.

killatopak

Gold Member
Here I am looking around hoping to find the thread not knowing it was at the community section. When does a thread get moved to community? It can't be time since the Zelda thread is still in gaming.

Anyway, I made a new run on hard and right off the bat I get destroyed by the same boss that killed me in normal. Fuck you double buzzsaw!

killatopak

Gold Member
The game is starting to feel really tedious to actually play at the moment.
Also how the fuck do I get up here?

I tried jumping around, and nope invisible walls everywhere. Tried looking around for a way around, and I can't see anything and the terrible 3D map doesn't help.

There should be a secret cavern in that area where you fall down. It goes into top down camera mode and there should be 4 directions which leads to various secret parts of that area. One of them allows you to have a higher ledge than that cliff and you can just float to go there.

Golnei

I'm about four hours in.

Is it me or this game super easy on normal difficulty and the combat one of the simplest Platinum Games has designed? I'm seeing all sorts of dead androids around and I can't say I understand why. :p

It's fun, it's a lot like the first game, except the world is needlessly massive.

The balancing of each difficulty level has been a common complaint, even outside of gripes with the levelling system. In hindsight, I think I'd have preferred it if they discarded the latter concept entirely - plug-in chips and Pod programs provide more than enough RPG-like customisation as it is, and weapon / Pod upgrades are always there if you want direct increases of power. It'd have likely made it much easier to tailor each difficulty to provide a consistent and satisfying level of challenge, or lack thereof.

A "fixed mode" in future patches or DLC would be very welcome, in any case.

JCG

I'm about four hours in.

It's not too difficult in general, although I've still died a few times while carelessly fighting enemies significantly above my level, dealing with certain environmental hazards and, for that matter, once or twice during the very beginning of Route C. I also suspect the
secret bosses
will need some degree of skill to beat.

From my perspective, the game curiously reminds me of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. That particular game wasn't too challenging once you level up and get all the cool weapons, outside of very specific situations, but like Nier Automata it's still super fun to play even after that point. In short, this is more of a game for RPG-oriented players rather than hardcore action enthusiasts.

I don't think the open world is that huge in size. In a way, the fact it's relatively underpopulated in terms of inhabitants and enemies helps better reflect the bleak post--apocalyptic theme of the setting and story. I am aware it was probably mostly a budget issue though.

sonicmj1

I'm about four hours in.

Normal is pretty easy.

I assume the dead androids are playing on Hard, where apparently you die in two hits.

Amirnol

Does anyone know of a good Nier (the original game) let's play? I'd like to see a good thorough playthrough that goes through all the story, with decent commentary if possible. Thanks!

Gbraga

I should be getting this game in the mail today. What's the best control scheme? I've played the demo & still couldn't really come to terms with what they presented. Been playing too many games where the shoulder buttons are the attack buttons & couldn't get quite used to the face buttons doing that.

From the A preset, I make these changes:

Evade on L1
Pod Program on L2
Weapon Switch on R2
Lock-on on R3.

Feels great to me.

Talha

Had a question on the trophy side of things so I've noticed in the NA region there's only 8% of people that have platinumed the game, but on PSN profiles it has 30% recorded does this mean this game has multiple trophy lists for different regions?

Ferr986

Gotta say atleast for now I'm enjoying (Route c)
playing as A2 WAY more than playing as 2B. Not only because of the gameplay tweaks, even though A2 is suposed to be the lone serious girl, she's way more expresive than 2B, hence more fun to play as.

jett

D-Member
It's not too difficult in general, although I've still died a few times while carelessly fighting enemies significantly above my level, dealing with certain environmental hazards and, for that matter, once or twice during the very beginning of Route C. I also suspect the
secret bosses
will need some degree of skill to beat.

From my perspective, the game curiously reminds me of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. That particular game wasn't too challenging once you level up and get all the cool weapons, outside of very specific situations, but like Nier Automata it's still super fun to play even after that point. In short, this is more of a game for RPG-oriented players rather than hardcore action enthusiasts.

I don't think the open world is that huge in size. In a way, the fact it's relatively underpopulated in terms of inhabitants and enemies helps better reflect the bleak post--apocalyptic theme of the setting and story. I am aware it was probably mostly a budget issue though.

Normal is pretty easy.

I assume the dead androids are playing on Hard, where apparently you die in two hits.

Any downsides to changing difficulty mid-game?

Gotta say atleast for now I'm enjoying (Route c)
playing as A2 WAY more than playing as 2B. Not only because of the gameplay tweaks, even though A2 is suposed to be the lone serious girl, she's way more expresive than 2B, hence more fun to play as.

(route C)
Being able to taunt is soooo nice and building around berserker mode was fun.

btw, does anyone know if (route C)
there's any mechanic tied to when A2's eyes turn red when dashing? Or is it purely visual?

Me waiting for SE to patch this so I can actually play it after their last patch caused the broken txt issue for me.
I just bought the game last night and after wondering if this was just part of the game I searched around and saw it was a bug. My settings page is unreadable and it seems something later in the game is also broken because of this. My question is, what's my best way of dealing with it? Should I delete my game and re-install or something to try and get it to not have the bug? I'm only about 2 hours into the game so restarting isn' that big of a deal. Just wondering if it's possible to fix it that way or if I should just keep playing and hope for a patch soon. Anyone have any suggestions?

(route C)
Being able to taunt is soooo nice and building around berserker mode was fun.

btw, does anyone know if (route C)
there's any mechanic tied to when A2's eyes turn red when dashing? Or is it purely visual?
I've read that
it does something special while berserk
but I never tested it myself.

I enjoyed the extra cutscenes and reveals in route B but aside from the beginning and end it's exactly the same as route A, bit disappointing. Hope route C mixes things up a bit.

Aizo

Banned
Do other people experience this game being unable to properly suspend this on PS4? No other games do this, but Automata returns me to the title screen every time I suspend it and put my PS4 into rest.

burgerdog

So I'm looking at the unit list and I'm missing a ton of regular ol trashy mobs. I spent a lot of time killing everything I came across so I'm surprised I'm missing a lot of them. I just need that reconnaissance mission and I made a total of 1% progress last night in like 3 hours. 5% to go feels like an eternity.

J-Skee

"This game does not support auto-save. Play the game to find out how to save."

So that's how we're starting this, huh?

EDIT: What type of cruel joke is this? Why can't I read anything in the settings menu?

I just bought the game last night and after wondering if this was just part of the game I searched around and saw it was a bug. My settings page is unreadable and it seems something later in the game is also broken because of this. My question is, what's my best way of dealing with it? Should I delete my game and re-install or something to try and get it to not have the bug? I'm only about 2 hours into the game so restarting isn' that big of a deal. Just wondering if it's possible to fix it that way or if I should just keep playing and hope for a patch soon. Anyone have any suggestions?

Bombard Square with complaints. The least they could do is offer a rollback fix of sorts.

EDIT: What type of cruel joke is this? Why can't I read anything in the settings menu?

Square broke the game for a lot of people with the recent patch. Framerate issues also tend to happen more severely than before.

The japanese version is in this state for two weeks now.

So the same as above goes to you, let Square know.

burgerdog

Is there a trigger for the amusement park hidden boss? I've tried hacking with 9S and hitting it a bunch of times like i've seen on videos and nothing works for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there a trigger for the amusement park hidden boss? I've tried hacking with 9S and hitting it a bunch of times like i've seen on videos and nothing works for me.
Clear the courtyard until there's only 1-2 robots left. Remote pilot the robot. Then hack the statue from the robot.

I use one of the big bots to clear.

Grisby

Safe to sell any items that just say exchange for cash? Also, for you guys that finished, what ended up being some of your favorite weapons?

Top Bottom