• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

I'm enjoying this game but is there something wrong with my PS4 or does the game have really bad frame drops? Usually frame drops don't bother me but it's kinda ridiculous in this game. Also, the button placements bother me.. you talk to someone with O, but X is the confirm button and O is the cancel button...

LotusHD

Banned
Like I kinda prefer the gameplay be easy-going? I feel like anything that can really put a roadblock on your progress through the story is probably a bad thing.

Well that's one of the neat things about the game in that it is accessible even if you really suck at the gameplay. But as others have said, I wish the difficulty levels were better balanced, or that there was a mode in-between Normal and Hard. The way Hard worked in the demo was perfect imo

LotusHD

Banned
Also I can't get invested in a hard mode where I can change difficulty with no penalty.

Eh, in general its better to have the option, in case someone wants to make it more difficult later on, or realize that it is too difficult and wants to make it easier on themselves.

Hard and Very Hard weren't balanced well anyway.

Removing a utility (lock-on) is a pretty poor way to inflate difficulty. I say this as a huge fan of P*.

killatopak

Gold Member
I'm enjoying this game but is there something wrong with my PS4 or does the game have really bad frame drops? Usually frame drops don't bother me but it's kinda ridiculous in this game. Also, the button placements bother me.. you talk to someone with O, but X is the confirm button and O is the cancel button...

Framedrops? I don't notice them at all.

Stuttering on the other hand...

Golnei

I hadn't thought about it until now, but it's kind of weird that Normandy and Guadalcanal never get played. The Normandy remix would have been so fitting for the first
A2
boss fight, considering she was one of the characters carried over from the play.

Gbraga

Yeah, didn't get to ending C last night, I didn't play too much because I was kind of tired and spent too much time with YoRHa, but it was worth it.

Interesting that they kept the terminal stuff from the game. I mean, the novels were told from Anemone's point of view, so it makes sense, but the individual files you unlock bring information she wouldn't know, so they could've mentioned it there. So I'm guessing these two holograms were in fact the terminals from the YoRHa play, and the game will bring that up very soon.

I might do it tonight, can't wait to see where it takes me. What an amazing ride this game has been. 72 hours so far, loving every minute. Well, except the few hours I spent redoing the same boss when I didn't have a chance of beating it at my level, hahaha. But soon I'll be high level enough to fight him, so it's all good.

I'll definitely want to replay it, I'm thinking of starting with chapter select after I beat it on Very Hard, to make up for my high level, and only do the main quests. Should be fun.

How much Unit Data I need to complete that one sidequest, btw? It's the only one I have currently going, at 92%.

Removing a utility (lock-on) is a pretty poor way to inflate difficulty. I say this as a huge fan of P*.

I disagree. Shooting can be incredibly strong, and no lock-on on harder difficulties make it so you have to actually aim. For melee moves, there's a soft lock and no directional inputs anyway. I thought it was interesting.

I wouldn't want that in a game like DMC, but I had no problems with it here.

Gbraga

Oh, and I really appreciate the tip about the glasses. Sooooo cute.

95% c:

And oh, we're here now.

Hmm, I have no idea where to get more enemies.
The Tower, I'm guessing. And someone told me about that statue thing in the amusement park, but I couldn't aggro it no matter how many times I hit it. I'll try it again later.

gngf123

The Tower, I'm guessing. And someone told me about that statue thing in the amusement park, but I couldn't aggro it no matter how many times I hit it. I'll try it again later.

Use 9S and remote control one of the small machines, then try to hack into the statue.

Bowlie

Banned

There are a few rare enemies (maybe will or will not spawn everytime you load) around the world. If you google, you'll find some videos about it.

Rizzi

Side quest question.
Is the
Yorha Betrayers
quest bugged or something? I went to each area that was supposed to have something, and there's nothing in any of them.

Gbraga

Side quest question.
Is the
Yorha Betrayers
quest bugged or something? I went to each area that was supposed to have something, and there's nothing in any of them.

How far into the game are you? At least one of the locations will only be available after you have fast travel.

killatopak

Gold Member
Side quest question.
Is the
Yorha Betrayers

On the building location, go back to the area where you first landed after the prologue.

removing lockon wasnt an issue since I didnt even use it on normal. Firing becomes less accurate since it gains a spread, and lockon is never needed for melee

I just wish the game had a few more optional bosses, but mainly this is me complaining that I just wanted to play more. 55 hours to get 100% would be perfect in most games, but I wanted more of this. Honestly hoping for battle arena DLC. I want to stretch this combat system even further.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If there's more DLC I want story stuff.

Give me a reenactment of YorHa
like literally. Make us play out the stage play.
:p

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
No spoilers but after getting Ending E I really loved the entire ending sequence. It was unexpected, clever, challenging and surprisingly emotional. Yoko Taro really knocked it out of the park with this one and I was a bit unsure after Route A but yeah this game is something special. I'd actually say its one of the most straight forward of his games in terms of stories and themes as some of his older games can be rather weird for the sake of it and a bit obtuse.

Well, in my opinion, it's not so much removing a utility as it's removing the training wheels. The game plays better without it, and shooting becomes stronger. Harder, but definitely better.

Timeaisis

Near-ish.

Yeah I love Adam. Both as a character and as a boss.

I think you mean Nier-ish. :p

On PC it fluctuates from 30 - 50 fps pretty wildly. It's kind of distracting, and this is coming from someone who hardly notices framerates. It also stutters a whole lot, too. Wish there was a locked 30 fps setting. I'd take that over wildly fluctuating 30 - 60 fps any day, especially for a game like this.

On PC it fluctuates from 30 - 50 fps pretty wildly. It's kind of distracting, and this is coming from someone who hardly notices framerates. It also stutters a whole lot, too. Wish there was a locked 30 fps setting. I'd take that over wildly fluctuating 30 - 60 fps any day, especially for a game like this.
I believe you can lock the fps using something like RivaTuner.

Golnei

Did ending D and E - I'm really glad I didn't save
A2
's ending for last, since D is so much more climactic - the
depiction of you hacking A2 by literally invading her menu screen was a great moment of meta fuckery; and the text epilogue was really effective in contextualising 2B and 9S' relationship in light of their true circumstances. The ambiguity of his dying moments was also a nice bittersweet note to finish on.

As for the [e]pilogue, it didn't do much for me.
It was a cute idea, and more borderline emotional Pod dialogue is always a good thing, but it wouldn't really have changed my opinion of the overall game much if it didn't exist. The "DO YOU THINK GAMES ARE SILLY LITTLE THINGS" line came dangerously close to "OH GOD PLEASE VALIDATE ME AS A LEGITIMATE ARTIST".

If there's more DLC I want story stuff.

Give me a reenactment of YorHa
like literally. Make us play out the stage play.
:p

As long as it reuses the cast of Romeos and Juliets. Or what's left of them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Stubby machine cosplaying
A2 and anemone.

No spoilers but after getting Ending E I really loved the entire ending sequence. It was unexpected, clever, challenging and surprisingly emotional. Yoko Taro really knocked it out of the park with this one and I was a bit unsure after Route A but yeah this game is something special. I'd actually say its one of the most straight forward of his games in terms of stories and themes as some of his older games can be rather weird for the sake of it and a bit obtuse.

Now go through route A again with all that you've learned.

There was some stuttering before, but nothing too bothersome. The most recent patch made it a lot worse for some users however, as well as breaking a couple of other things. If you notice broken font in any of the menus, that's from that patch as well.

And the O / X thing is your usual localization issue with japanese games. In this case, they switched the menu interface controls, but kept the in-game ones as is, which I honestly prefer to completly switching it around, because then you'd have O as your jump button. See Bloodborne or any other Souls game for reference...having sprint on O in the western versions will always feel awkward.

Or they could've done it like FFXV were they switched it so X was the universal interact button but still kept it as jump, but that only introduced other issues.

Did ending D and E - I'm really glad I didn't save
A2
's ending for last, since D is so much more climactic - the
depiction of you hacking A2 by literally invading her menu screen was a great moment of meta fuckery; and the text epilogue was really effective in contextualising 2B and 9S' relationship in light of their true circumstances. The ambiguity of his dying moments was also a nice bittersweet note to finish on.

As for the [e]pilogue, it didn't do much for me.
It was a cute idea, and more borderline emotional Pod dialogue is always a good thing, but it wouldn't really have changed my opinion of the overall game much if it didn't exist. The "DO YOU THINK GAMES ARE SILLY LITTLE THINGS" line came dangerously close to "OH GOD PLEASE VALIDATE ME AS A LEGITIMATE ARTIST".

As long as it reuses the cast of Romeos and Juliets. Or what's left of them.
I think the
"silly little things" line is more meant to validate the player's feelings as legitimate
but I can understand how that line could rub someone the wrong way.

Ferr986

Advanced a little through Route C, did some quests for
Popola and Devola.

I don't really get (atleast yet) their story, taking into account what happens in Nier 1. Suposedly their models are defective and it's their fault the shitstorm that happened in Nier 1, but I don't see how anything that happened is hardly their fault. They pretty much acted to what they were programmed for (1: create replicants, 2: Serve the perfect Gestalt, as shown in the Drama CD with Noir). Both Niers were the ones that caused the shitstorm.

Right now it feels like a retcon, unless I'm missing more, of course.

Ferrio

Banned
Advanced a little through Route C, did some quests for
Popola and Devola.

I don't really get (atleast yet) their story, taking into account what happens in Nier 1. Suposedly their models are defective and it's their fault the shitstorm that happened in Nier 1, but I don't see how anything that happened is hardly their fault. They pretty much acted to what they were programmed for (1: create replicants, 2: Serve the perfect Gestalt, as shown in the Drama CD with Noir). Both Niers were the ones that caused the shitstorm.

Right now it feels like a retcon, unless I'm missing more, of course.

Keep playing

gdt

Am I doing something wrong here? Started the game, but I keep dying and having to restart the opening over and over and over.

I finally reached a boss but I died and now I'm all the way back at the intro. This is super aggravating right now.

Started on hard.

Ferrio

Banned
Am I doing something wrong here? Started the game, but I keep dying and having to restart the opening over and over and over.

I finally reached a boss but I died and now I'm all the way back at the intro. This is super aggravating right now.

Started on hard.

Hard is rough throughout the whole game, lot of one hit-2 hit deaths. Don't pick it unless you really want the challenge.

Beat the speedstar quest, immediately saved, shut down my game and backed up my save to the cloud. I might also keep a USB backup so I never have to do it again. The 3rd race wasn't actually too bad, but I struggled with the 2nd. Even once I had Slow I only just squeaked a victory.

Now I can move on to ending B without worrying about it getting reset.

Geg

Ran through my second playthrough of all the main endings...

This time, I accepted 042's request and deleted my data. I'll come back and play the game again at some point because I loved the time I spent with it.

Man, ending E is too strong.

JCG

I feel silly about starting the Machine Examination quest in Route A and never figuring out how to proceed until after literally finishing everything else in the game. It's nothing major but, like many quests in Automata, it feeds into the main themes of the story.

burgerdog

So after beating ending E I believe the game said something about visiting an npc from a certain quest. Anyone remember exactly what it said?

Grisby

Played for about 5 hours today and got to the
machine village
. Having a lot of fun while also feeling like the biggest jerk for
taking my sword to these sweet, innocent machines (not the ones in the village, just the ones that start shit).

Combat is fast and fluid and the little gameplay moments like
2d stuff
changes things up great. Got a big wow story moment with the
desert
so I'm curious to see where it goes.

Oh. OH. And the music when you enter the
resistance
area.
St5xsxR.gif

But...the one thing that hasn't been great is the-
Yeah, the framerate is not great. Chop and stutter at random times. I'm used to Platinum games running better than this.

Gbraga

Didn't manage to finish it tonight either, haha. I think I'm very close, though. No idea how I'll finish that Unit Data sidequest, but whatever. If I don't get it, I don't really care. Got all the weapons tonight, too! Just need to upgrade 3 or 4 to max and I'll have them all maxed out.

Also found
2B's flight unit
, which I missed for some reason, so I'm glad I decided to do a few item runs there for Gold Ore and Black Pearl.

I don't think I've ever imagined that I would play a JRPG where
I controlled Pascal and punched Engels in the face.

The power of Yoko Taro, I guess.

Top Bottom