• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Squishy3

Jiraiza

Reporting back on the Donguri combo video, I finally figured out how he did the ground dashing heavy attack in the air. The timing is pretty strict. Think of it like FRC from Guilty Gear. Thankfully it can be performed without a target so practice can make perfect.

Basically, you want to queue up a weapon swap during a launcher, after which, perform an evade. The queued weapon swap will automatically come through during the evade. You want to hold forward (can be done early) then attack with heavy basically an instant (Unable to identify how many frames) before the weapon swap, or might even be exactly on it. That will result in the ground dash attack of the offset heavy to come out in the air. Make sure to not hold/release the weapon swap and evade button after you input or it will not work. It was kind of obvious from the video as you can tell when the weapon swap and evade are queued, but it was hard to know whether that was all there is to it or if something else was missing. It took a couple of hours to finally get it once, then it became fairly clear what the timing is.

After practicing for an half hour at it, I think it's not ridiculous enough where it cannot be done consistently (90% success rate at this point). It certainly is no harder than a FRC. As far as for how practical it is, I think it's fairly ideal if your launcher catches multiple targets, since those attacks have more coverage than standard attacks in the air. Downside is obviously you have to sacrifice your evade to do it, so you will be vulnerable in the air, although I'm not sure how much that matters. That would depend on enemy types in the main game, so people that are actually playing the release will have a better idea.

Hopefully there are other interesting quarks with how the combat functions in the game. The way things behave when input queue is involved is pretty interesting.

Edit: Added another condition that I forgot to the inputs.

Hmm, can't quite seem to get this to work.

Edit: Oh, just managed to pull it off.

Ok, reading some comments that are putting me off this game. Not sure if anybody can varify these.. Hearing the difficulty on Normal is too damn hard, and there's 20-30 minutes to checkpoints?

Squishy3

FFXIV is cheating when it comes to music lol. No game even comes close to the amount of quality tracks that game has.

FFXI would like a word with you about that :D
I mean I'm not saying count all the songs that are in XIV total, just the ones being added in the expac coming out later this year. Obviously Heavensward/ARR songs wouldn't be counted. :p

Ok, reading some comments that are putting me off this game. Not sure if anybody can varify these.. Hearing the difficulty on Normal is too damn hard, and there's 20-30 minutes to checkpoints?
I've had 0 issues re: difficulty. Checkpoints also aren't that far apart, they're pretty generously spaced across the map. And you don't even need to be at them to save, an icon shows in the upper right when saving is possible (basically when you're in range of a save point) and you'll then be able to save from the menu.

Normal isn't difficult. I'm pretty under leveled myself and haven't had major issues. You can always stockpile healing supplies in typical RPG fashion as well.

Roubjon

Does the game stack up to the first Nier? Or another way to put it, is it fantastic on it's own terms? From reading the impression at the top of the page, it seems like it's a hit.

pezzie

One disappointing part of route B (no real story stuff):

I'm bummed they didn't seem to scale boss levels up. All the enemy levels have been scaled up so the fights still feel good, but fighting a level 10 boss at level 36 doesn't feel that good.

N° 2048

read again, just said that it shows "normal chests! Hope that someone will do a list soon
My bad!

Normal isn't difficult. I'm pretty under leveled myself and haven't had major issues. You can always stockpile healing supplies in typical RPG fashion as well.
+ use healing plug in chip that heals you when you kill any enemy = you're good.

Can't stop thinking of that
stamps
side quest.
"Pisseth off!"

jonjonaug

Normal isn't particularly difficult, and there's an Easy difficulty if it's too hard. The only segment of the game that goes for a long time without any checkpoints is the opening level that covers the same ground the demo did, after that there are frequent save points scattered all over the game world and there are checkpoints during boss fights.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Does the game stack up to the first Nier? Or another way to put it, is it fantastic on it's own terms? From reading the impression at the top of the page, it seems like it's a hit.

From what i've seen, a definite yes from a story, music and gameplay perspective. Infact, first and foremost, the most important thing to remember is that it is its own thing.

I really just love J'Nique Nicole's contribution to the soundtrack...and she's a native from Tenessee too? I thought she was french all this time. She's up there with Emi evans. If she had replaced Emi evans in the original game i probably would have as much reverence for her sound as i do Emi Evans off the bat

Gbraga

Slightly off, but I had this random dream last night where Square announced Parasite Eve 3 made by Taro and Platinum.

Now I'm sad and salty as fuck since this is becoming my new dream project and the chance for it to happen is next to zero.

Why did you dream this?

What is wrong with you?

Why did you share this?

God.

Thank you for giving me another impossible dream.

From what i've seen, a definite yes from a story, music and gameplay perspective. Infact, first and foremost, the most important thing to remember is that it is its own thing.

I really just love J'Nique Nicole's contribution to the soundtrack...and she's a native from Tenessee too? I thought she was french all this time. She's up there with Emi evans. If she had replaced Emi evans in the original game i probably would have as much reverence for her sound as i do Emi Evans off the bat

It's good that you like this artist! Personally i really don't like her voice, i don't know why! She sure sing very well, no doubt about it, but it doesn't click with me! So i'm glad that emi evans had more songs than her! (altough she did a good job on the amusement park boss, where they both sing)

Okay, I seriously might just crack on buying this. Was gonna wait 'till March so I can own it physically, but if I can just purchase the digital JPN version and it has full English.....

Is the Day 1 content the same for both digital and physical?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's good that you like this artist! Personally i really don't like her voice, i don't know why! She sure sing very well, no doubt about it, but it doesn't click with me! So i'm glad that emi evans had more songs than her! (altough she did a good job on the amusement park boss, where they both sing)

I'm not sure what's wrong with her voice?

TissueBox

Ok guys so you know the treasure chest in the
castle zone that shows up at the end of the entrance structure and how the pod says the part in it is a machine part so 2B doesn't need it? Is this for a side quest I'm unaware of or?

I'm not sure what's wrong with her voice?

I didn't say something was wrong with her voice... i just don't like it, that's all! I couldn't say why

castle zone that shows up at the end of the entrance structure and how the pod says the part in it is a machine part so 2B doesn't need it? Is this for a side quest I'm unaware of or?

you'll have access to the sidequest tied to this once you finish the castle

Fangel

Neo Member

Part of a sidequest that will be unlocked after completing the castle zone

Hektor

It's important for a sidequest. The quest NPC is standing in front of the big gate leading to pascals village

Okay, I seriously might just crack on buying this. Was gonna wait 'till March so I can own it physically, but if I can just purchase the digital JPN version and it has full English.....

Is the Day 1 content the same for both digital and physical?

The japanese digital preorder came only with two podskins.

Caim

Anyone know where to find the following weapons?

Phoenix Dagger
Fang of the Twins
Virtuous Grief

Desert housing, it should be in chest on one of the apartment stairs.
Kind of hard to explain, but in the forest zone there is upper part of the area, before the castle with rocks to jump on and one of the spots has altar with the weapon that also spawns an ambush.

iammeiam

I've been playing this the past few days and realized I have no idea what constitutes under leveled--I'm playing on normal and if I match levels with a mob it's generally pretty faceroll, but then I do things like trigger the
Black Belt side quest
and am doing what seems like an infinite fight vs a level 40 at like... level 12. It's doable, I just don't know if that's the difficulty they're aiming for or if the game expected me to go off and grind first.

Really enjoying it, though. I have no idea how it'll seem to somebody who didn't play Nier, but so far it's delivering most of what I wanted from a followup.

Anyone know where to find the following weapons?

Phoenix Dagger
Fang of the Twins
Virtuous Grief

1. Drop down from the big bridge that leads to the
Mall
, head all the way left to some scary robots and its in a chest there.

This was the first weapon i got and i was just like "dam exploration is gonna be rewarding". Little did i know the amount of shit this game would hide!

TissueBox

Part of a sidequest that will be unlocked after completing the castle zone

It's important for a sidequest. The quest NPC is standing in front of the big gate leading to pascals village

Dang ok thanks. At first I thought it actually might have been a (third route spoilers)
hint that there would be some way to play as Pascal or general machine in the open world or something. I know, I know, grasping at straws, but still. You do assume control for a brief time lol.

Hektor

Dang ok thanks. At first I thought it actually might have been a (third route spoilers)
hint that there would be some way to play as Pascal or general machine in the open world or something. I know, I know, grasping at straws, but still. You do assume control for a brief time lol.

I thought the same when i first came across one

Stalk

Ending B down, that C/D trailer. Hyunnnghhhh.

I loved the way B path was done really. Worked rather well.

I feel this approaches the multiple endings structure of his previous work in a much better manner so far.

One thing about the soundtrack that i freaking love :
Almost all music are available in 8 bit
! This is so good!

Ending B down, that C/D trailer. Hyunnnghhhh.

I loved the way B path was done really. Worked rather well.

I feel this approaches the multiple endings structure of his previous work in a much better manner so far.

instantly skipped this "preview", didn't want any spoiler, why do that? :p

JayEH

Early Route C spoilers

So A2 has a taunt and a DT? Think I'm in love. Just wish she didn't cut her hair.

Stalk

One thing about the soundtrack that i freaking love :
Almost all music are available in 8 bit
! This is so good!

instantly skipped this "preview", didn't want any spoiler, why do that? :p

Regarding spoiler: Yes that was lovely. Although the fact it's louder than the actual music is a little jarring at times haha.

I'll admit, I'm one of those people that likes the titillation.

TissueBox

I thought the same when i first came across one

Gimme that DLC Square!! :p

Early Route C spoilers

So A2 has a taunt and a DT? Think I'm in love. Just wish she didn't cut her hair.

Oh yeah I forgot about
the taunt lmao. In my next playthrough with her I'll use that more often.

She really is great. Love her personality.

Which reminds me I'mma make some time later today to check out that YoRHa stage play, anyone else read/see it?

Hektor

Early Route C spoilers

You can actually unlock a wig for her, tho i don't remember how

Which reminds me I'mma make some time later today to check out that YoRHa stage play, anyone else read/see it?

I've only read the summary over at nier2.com since the quality of the DVD is supposedly fairly abysmal

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I keep trying to do this "little sister" robot rescue sidequest and she keeps just sitting there in the desert after I defeat enemies. I have to get far enough away and then she respawns at the start, and it happens again. WTF?

EDIT: FINALLY cleared it after like five tries.

addik

Done with Ending A, and I clocked in at 15 hours.

I really enjoyed it so far, can't wait for what else NG+ has to reveal,
WHERE THE HELL IS A2?

TissueBox

I've only read the summary over at nier2.com since the quality of the DVD is supposedly fairly abysmal

Ouch that sucks, will pro'lly just stick to reading it myself then. :| And yeah rekka and their site is a great resource..!

You can actually unlock a wig for her, tho i don't remember how

Yep got it right after finishing up route D, along with two heavy armor costumes and a blindfold remover. ^^'

N° 2048

I keep trying to do this "little sister" robot rescue sidequest and she keeps just sitting there in the desert after I defeat enemies. I have to get far enough away and then she respawns at the start, and it happens again. WTF?

I had a bug like this, turns out one of the enemies went invisible and bugged out.

I noticed there was something shiny near the floor and just started attacking it then the enemy popped out in front of me and once he was gone I could move on.

Samaritan

What's up with the gold-plated enemies in the Sunken City? They're ridiculous bullet sponges, despite only being level 25. 2B asked her pod to analyze them but nothing ever came of it. They have way too much health to simply be strong enemies; seems like there's a gimmick to destroying them that the game isn't telling me.

allbrancooke

Neo Member
And...Platinumed!

Still some notes to find, 2 more quests to do, and a lot of fishing. Put in another 10 hours then
Give up my file for those struggling with the final boss

Hektor

What's up with the gold-plated enemies in the Sunken City? They're ridiculous bullet sponges, despite only being level 25. 2B asked her pod to analyze them but nothing ever came of it. They have way too much health to simply be strong enemies; seems like there's a gimmick to destroying them that the game isn't telling me.

You haven't unlocked the means to defeat them yet

TissueBox

They're
a special enemy type that has spawn points in several zones. Kill them all and you get a cutscene or something I believe? Not sure.

Yo this second speedstar sidequest is killing me. Do I go straight and run up the branch, or do I cut right and jump across the roofs?

I can't find any videos of the 2nd one online. :(

Aeana

Yo this second speedstar sidequest is killing me. Do I go straight and run up the branch, or do I cut right and jump across the roofs?

I can't find any videos of the 2nd one online. :(
I did it by going right. The main thing to keep in mind is to stay on the ground as much as possible -- your air speed is slower than your dashing ground speed.

Get some movement speed chips if you need a boost.

renzolama

Are the rest of the tracks in the full game as good at the theme for the demo? I don't know what it is about it, but it gets its hooks into me hard every time I hear it.

I did it by going right. The main thing to keep in mind is to stay on the ground as much as possible -- your air speed is slower than your dashing ground speed.

Get some movement speed chips if you need a boost.

I'll try to cut right some more! I had a single move speed chip, and a few speed salves and he kept beating me right as I was hitting the roof of the last building before the finish.

Top Bottom