• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Mesharey

Second campaign is just as long as the first, third one is the longest
XD

It's my first Nier/DKG game, didn't really like this design, make it 2 characters max or even 1 character in like 25 hours campaign, it'll be way better, so many people will stop playing when they see the credits, I may do that too, but gonna try to continue after Horizon.

Hektor

XD

It's my first Nier/DKG game, didn't really like this design, make it 2 characters max or even 1 character in like 25 hours campaign, it'll be way better, so many people will stop playing when they see the credits, I may do that too, but gonna try to continue after Horizon.

I disagree, the ending structure is one of the things that make this franchise so unique

Coda

Have a couple questions about quests:
-The Wandering Couple, so they've been hiding near the resistance camp but there's no way to get to them. Do they just appear eventually or is there a way to get to them in order to finish the quest?
-The huge machine boss that is now wrecked in the City Ruins has a marker on its head, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing there?
-How do I get to the other side of the Forest Zone with the main objective? I can't figure it out

Thanks!

-The Wandering Couple, so they've been hiding near the resistance camp but there's no way to get to them. Do they just appear eventually or is there a way to get to them in order to finish the quest?
-The huge machine boss that is now wrecked in the City Ruins has a marker on its head, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing there?
-How do I get to the other side of the Forest Zone with the main objective? I can't figure it out

Thanks!

- You'll get to them eventually as you progress through the story. They're not actually in the resistance camp, but in an area you haven't visited yet.
- To be honest, I have no idea on this one either.
- There should be a bridge (or a crossable gap, I'm not exactly sure how it's laid out at the moment) towards the end of that first half of the region. Just keep looking.

Coda

- You'll get to them eventually as you progress through the story. They're not actually in the resistance camp, but in an area you haven't visited yet.
- To be honest, I have no idea on this one either.
- There should be a bridge (or a crossable gap) towards the end of that first half of the region. Just keep looking.

Thanks a lot!

TankRizzo

Banned
I'm 6.5 hrs in and I'm getting a bit fustrated because I can't reach places to complete side quests. At which point does everything open up and I can go where I please?

I'm loving the game and the action is so good. Can't say the same for performance. Playing on the pro on a hotel 1080p TV and the stutters are pretty shitty

True Fire

To those who are playing and/or finished the game, is this goty material?

It probably won't be my GOTY, but it's the perfect game for diehard Yoko fans. Everything he has ever wanted to do is in full force with this game.
Platinum fans will probably be disappointed, but we need their money for a NieR remake so let's keep that fact quiet lol.

Drakengard in general written by Taro goes off the rails at multiple points. Nier in itself is a different more subdued work...i feel like he refuses to take it there and wants to hit the reader with completely different types of shock points which i feel is for the best.

Drakengard 3 fell flat for me because certain aspects felt weird and wacky just to be so, like modern SUDA51 trying to recapture No More Heroes and Killer 7. I feel like Taro is at his best when he's trying to tell a message and just lets the off kilter write itself.

Nier Automata encapsulates this perfectly. Based on what i've seen, so far, although it may not be the cuhrayzee'est Yoko Taro story or attempt to recapture the exact same things as the first one, its without a doubt the most polished one he's made yet, and Platinum's involvement helps that in so many ways.

So on the one hand you will have some Platinum people disappointed that this combat is not comprehensive as many other platinum games, and you will have some Nier fans disappointed this is not a retread of the first Nier in many ways..

But if you can get past that, this is just as exceptional a Yoko Taro experience as anything he's made previously

I wasn't a big fan of Drakengard 3, mostly due to the technical faults but also the story being underwhelming overall but honestly, it didn't sound to me like Taro was that into making D3....Square rejected like four different proposals and he was left with his last proposal (probably the one he wanted to do the least) with D3. So that explains how it turned out for me.

On another level though, this game definitely feels like a spiritual successor to NieR. I'm glad it isn't an exact copy of the original and both games get to stay unique and I'm thankful that Taro doesn't repeat his games, even between Drakengard 1and Drakengard 3 constrasted with NieR and NieR: Automata, just means it goes to show how diverse his portfolio is despite working on a lot of sequels.

Hektor

Thanks!

In addition to the answer you already got: The machine you can talk to if you stand right underneath it and look up

Are the different paths obvious?

Can you get the same ending twice?

Yes / Not accidentally at least.

Without heavy spoilers(if possible), how do you get the true ending?

Just play it and it'll come to you, trust me

Aeana

If anybody is like me and doing the Heritage of the Past sidequest in the desert and does not actually want to run across the entire expanse, this video has places to look.

Jiraiza

U17fiY3.gif

In retrospect, if I had gotten the Wire skill on my first playthrough, the last couple of bosses would've been pretty easy.

Aeana

The
idiot savant
quest in route B... now my thumb is killing me.

This whole post is a bit spoilery considering the game isn't even out yet for US/EU people

It's not a spoiler. If seeing a GIF of the game is a spoiler, then you should not be in the thread at all.

Labolas

I'd say if you're into quirky action RPG games then yeah.

It probably won't be my GOTY, but it's the perfect game for diehard Yoko fans. Everything he has ever wanted to do is in full force with this game.
Platinum fans will probably be disappointed, but we need their money for a NieR remake so let's keep that fact quiet lol.

So not really top tier stuff, but still great, okay.

Aeana

I already beat the game, thx

Anyway look at the level and pod

It was a colloquial "you."

Let me rephrase:

Those who are so sensitive that seeing a GIF from a game would spoil them should not be in an OT. OTs are for people who are actually playing a game to discuss it, not a hang out club for people who want to consume every bit of information about it but somehow also learn absolutely nothing.

pezzie

To those who are playing and/or finished the game, is this goty material?

It's good enough to compete for GOTY in weaker years, but realistically it's not going to be a contender in 2017. This year is too strong.

That said, it's going to be extremely high on my list. I am loving every minute of this wacky and touching story. I'm almost dreading going into work tomorrow because all I want to do is play this game some more.

LProtag

I did ending B this morning, and then took a short break before starting on C.

Holy shit did things get intense fast. Once the game played basically the opening credits I was left wondering if the previous 15 or so hours I played were just the prologue. Seems like it was.

One part of me wants to rush through and finish before Horizon comes out, because then Zelda comes out after that... and I don't have all the time in the world to play games, sadly.

This game has me enthralled though, these other games might have to go on the back-burner.

Getting further into the game. I still think it is one of the best actions game I have played. So unique and there are tons of combos that they don't even tell ya about.

Also the music is so good. I think it blows away FF15.

I think the story is dark and really intriguing.

Would anybody else think From Software should try a darker setting of this? Sci-fi souls with bloodborne enemies. Omg. Please.

So far rate the game a better than Nioh and on par with my resident evil experience. I think it will pass it soon though. Loving the story and mystery of what is going to happen. It reminds me of playing old games like Shadow of the Colossus so much.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What's the feeling on the critical response to this game?

I don't know when reviewers will get their hands on it but i wonder how it will be received

N° 2048

Sweet! Mixing up more pod skills together should let us do some crazy combos! The depth in this is huge!

This confuses me, how do you mix up pod skills?
I know there are
three
Pods total and each can have one skill, is that what you mean?

Hektor

My favorite song from Nier is Blu-Bird. Is a variation of the song in Automata?

I don't remember hearing it.

What's the feeling on the critical response to this game?

I don't know when reviewers will get their hands on it but i wonder how it will be received

One game journo already posted in here mentioning the review guide he got from SE, so the copies are already out.

I'm fairly certain it'll be the best review Taro game, tho probably more on the virtue of it being a platinum game, with most of Yoko's/OGNieR's ideas being creditet to them lol.

Top Bottom