• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Exentryk

Yeah, you can switch pods mid fight. The controls would be something that I'd tweak to make it all fluid and all; would probably need macro set ups for the controller on PC. I know they work something like using the dpad to switch pods, but in my opinion, the best implementation would have been to use the pod program button as a shortcut button and then face buttons to execute respective abilities. So say your pod program button is R2, then:
R2 + Triangle = Wire
R2 + Square = Laser
R2+ Circle = Hammer
etc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What's the feeling on the critical response to this game?

I don't know when reviewers will get their hands on it but i wonder how it will be received

I get the feeling that all the genre-mashing will run a lot of red-lights for critics. My perception for quite awhile now is that the best way to get a top-rated game is to pick a specific style and focus, and execute that as perfectly as possible.

Doing less often seems preferable to doing more, because it results in fewer things to be nit-picked at. Obviously Nier flies in the face of this.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't remember hearing it.

One game journo already posted in here mentioning the review guide he got from SE, so the copies are already out.

I'm fairly certain it'll be the best review Taro game, tho probably more on the virtue of it being a platinum game, with most of Yoko's/OGNieR's ideas being creditet to them lol.

I think it would be hard to be reviewed worse than the other yoko taro games xD

Hektor

Where do I upgrade my weapons to level 4?

In the forest castle, transport to the royal chamber, leave to the right exit of it, you should be at a bridge with a hole in it, drop down to the bridge underneath, left side, there's a box you can pull, pull it out and enter.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I put in 17 hours into the game and I'm not near the end yet
AFAIK, you can get one ending at 9 hours correct?

I put a lot of time in these sidequests, like in FFXV.

For some reason, I don't think this game should be compared to NieR in terms of the overall game but rather FFXV.

Inuhanyou

I put in 17 hours into the game and I'm not near the end yet
AFAIK, you can get one ending at 9 hours correct?

I put a lot of time in these sidequests, like in FFXV.

For some reason, I don't think this game should be compared to NieR in terms of the overall game but rather FFXV.

Why is that?

Currently on route C, i have some questions!

is this on this route than i can get the optionnal emil fight?

Is there something more to A2 dash, or it just go farther?

Will i be able to open the evelators guarded by a machine on his knee on this route?

thanks

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
One thing I noticed by accident when having multiple pods - if you hold L1 for longer you can charge your special which makes other pods appear and allows you to do a triple attack (I assume also works with just 2). Only downside is that the cooldown is longer and shared across the pods who took part in the attack.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Why is that?

Well for one the world and world traversal is seamless just like FFXV. Can't be sure about the size yet since I'm not done with the game. Quests are similar to FFXV also. Gameplay is similar too (action RPG).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What's the playtime looking like? I've been curious after hearing different things.
Took me a bit over 30 (maybe 35) hours for the "true ending" (
E
). I did most side quests too, but if you want to 100% everything it's probably closer to 40-50 hours.

Monocle

U17fiY3.gif

In retrospect, if I had gotten the Wire skill on my first playthrough, the last couple of bosses would've been pretty easy.
Oh wow, this is the kind of gameplay I'm looking for.

This game just has incredible music so far.

The resistance camp, the dancer boss (especially when it goes
8 bit style)

Really enjoying the game so far.

ULTROS!

A few questions:

1. Can you miss the endings?
2. Do you have to replay the game again to get the main endings?

Relique

9-15 hours ending a

15-25 hours ending b

35-45 hours ending c d e

46 hours near platinum trophy

Should time replaying the game to get a different ending really count? I think someone mentioned different paths you can take but how much unique content is there?

I didn't have the patience to replay half of the first Nier multiple times back to back and never got around to it before my PS3 went out of commission so I am curious is this is gonna be the same situation.

Well for one the world and world traversal is seamless just like FFXV. Can't be sure about the size yet since I'm not done with the game. Quests are similar to FFXV also. Gameplay is similar too (action RPG).

you've played the first Nier right? the only difference really is the lack of loading time switching major areas and the platinum-flavored combat, but the original was still action rpg combat

ULTROS!

WTF at the trophies (no story spoiler but...)

YOU CAN BUY YOUR TROPHIES AT A SECRET SHOP IN THE RESISTANCE CAMP WHEN YOU FINISH THE GAME

Aeana

Should time replaying the game to get a different ending really count? I think someone mentioned different paths you can take but how much unique content is there?

I didn't have the patience to replay half of the first Nier multiple times back to back and never got around to it before my PS3 went out of commission so I am curious is this is gonna be the same situation.
It should definitely count in the case of this game. If you only play to the end of route A then you haven't beaten the game. Route B has unique gameplay systems and everything.

ULTROS!

How good is it compared to Nier 1? I understand it got better combat but did you people who finished it feel the same magic Nier emitted?

I'd say in terms of gameplay, it's much more polished than Nier.

JayEH

urghh i wanna see the rest of this story, but playing the game is such a drag.

I've considered just watching the endings on YouTube but I'm sure it'll miss the little differences in playthroughs. Also every time I'm about to give up something cool happens to keep me going :p

jonjonaug

A few questions:

1. Can you miss the endings?
2. Do you have to replay the game again to get the main endings?

You can unlock chapter select after clearing the third main ending. I can only think of one of the F-Z endings that may be missable because it's related to something that I'm not sure is a repeatable event (I've only seen videos of it). But you can't really unlock it until finishing the full game plus a ton of extra content so don't worry about it for now.

Also to people in the middle of the B route thinking of giving up, if you want to know something about Route C that may keep you going:
Route C/D is entirely new content that takes place after the A and B endings. It contains about half the game's main story

Hektor

I probably said this a lot on GAF alone already, but if you're not willing to play a Yoko Taro game past the first ending, there is no point in playing the game at all

How good is it compared to Nier 1? I understand it got better combat but did you people who finished it feel the same magic Nier emitted?

It's a very different kind of magic and imho, there is no inherent guarantee you're going to enjoy or love the game just because you enjoyed the first one, same goes the other way around.

You're not replaying the game

Kanann

A is a prologue.
B is A from another view point and prepare you to see who is the real
protagonist

C and D is a second half of the story you playing simultaneously.

E is as epilogue.

F-Z are all joke ending.

Squire

Banned
Currently playing through the Japanese version on the PS4 Pro and I'm not encountering any performance issues. What issues are you referring to?

The multiple posts in this thread citing the frame rate dropping a lot and not just when transitioning from a closed area to the open-world. Most of those posters seem to be saying they're on Pro; I'm inclined to think it's on the hardware more so than the game given the handful of games that have (at least to start) actually performed worse on Pro.

I see. Expected, but a little unfortunate they're so unlike one another.

I wouldn't say there's a big difference; the combat is faster paced but not so much that someone who's not big on action can't handle it especially since you have a partner. The story is tonally different in ways but it's still a Yoko joint and there are lots of callbacks to Nier (and Drakengard) even before you do multiple playthroughs. I feel like most of the differences are for the best.

There's performance issues on regular PS4 too. Noticeable FPS drops.

Yeah, pretty frequent unfortunately

taoofjord

I've owned Nier for years but never played it. I'm so into Automata though that I'm definitely going to play the first game in a few months. It just has a spark to it that makes it really special. Can't wait!

Inuhanyou

Are you talking story and soundtrack? I can't speak to the gameplay cause i have not played the game itself outside of the demo, but i would say story and soundtrack from watching full streams of the entire game, get about the same marks as original Nier. Of course that's just my personal view.

What've ive seen has me hype

Top Bottom