• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Hektor

How do we know they are for anything in particular and not just places you cant access

Some of them are hidden like typical videogame secrets (Behind waterfalls and such). Considering that they even have NPC's standing in front of them telling you you are not allowed to enter, i'd figure there's suppsesd to be something hidden in them.

But maybe it's also just Yoko trolling.

Point is, it came from a place of misinformation & lack of understanding, and should be treated as such.

Just waiting on that last review now...

Some of them are hidden like typical videogame secrets (Behind waterfalls and such). Considering that they even have NPC's standing in front of them telling you you are not allowed to enter, i'd figure there's suppsesd to be something hidden in them.

Could be that too... but the fact that there's three of them, it really makes me wonder... Maybe they'll open when we have 100% completion on everything! The thing that perplex me the most is the tutorial blocked at 98% ... what are we missing?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

That is certain interesting i must say

Neolombax

Well it makes sense from a story perspective in the original Nier, considering what happens in the ending
D

Haven't played Automata or the Drakengards, so I'm not sure if its just a Yoko Taro thing.

I'm almost certain it started with Nier. Drakengard had
super twisted endings though.

Inuhanyou

What i like best about Yoko Taro's games is that the fates of his characters usually mirror who they were as people. In the case of Caim where they take the time to show you how actively bad he can be, it makes perfect sense why things would turn out the way they do.

The same went for zero who mostly just went around killing people and would appear as a muderous monster on the face of it

I think even DK2's writers carried this idea forward as Caim was clearly on the antagonist side of the story

Hektor

Could be that too... but the fact that there's three of them, it really makes me wonder... Maybe they'll open when we have 100% completion on everything! The thing that perplex me the most is the tutorial blocked at 98% ... what are we missing?

I am not the only one with that? Huh

Where can I get Large Batteries?

It's a drop from high level enemies.

You can farm this stuff rather reliably in
the desert arena where you fought Adam for the first time.
The enemies respawn in there infinitely

Gbraga

I know what happens in D3 (thanks to Clemps) but I'm still interested in playing it. Not sure if I could handle the PS2 graphics with 5 fps average though.

I'm playing through it at the moment. The performance is even worse than you're expecting, but it's definitely worth it, I'm having a great time. Incredibly charming game, and the combat system is surprisingly fun in the extremely rare situations where it's running somewhat close to 30fps.

It's cool how much of a signature Yoko Taro can leave on his projects. I feared it wouldn't be quite the same without the original team, but, aside from the awful technical aspect, it feels like his games through and through.

I'm also enjoying that, at least so far, it's not too wacky. It's certainly wackier than Nier, but not quite as edgy as the first one, which is a very good thing, in my opinion, as I feel like Yoko Taro's at the top of his game when he's not trying to shock so desperately.

The cutscenes can be very well done, but it only makes it even more disappointing that they basically said "ok, ship it" the moment the game was playable from start to finish. If it got more polish, it could be so good.

I also was expecting less from the soundtrack, from what people have been saying in this thread, but it's still really good.

LotusHD

Banned
Got the game
Anything i need to know before i start?
and whats the recommended difficulty?

Beginning section (which is basically the demo) doesn't have checkpoints, meaning if you die you'll have to start all over from the beginning. And speaking of dying, there's an exclusive ending that occurs if you die during that section, so take the time to check it out. If you want to ultimately play on Hard, I'd advise you start off on Normal or even lower in order to just quickly get through it.

Then afterwards, play on whatever difficulty you want.

this song is so hauntingly beautiful - please add to OP?
i love having this playing on loop at the main menu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0SAuvSghHo

???

So what's the reception so far and do we have an average of play time yet?
I know it might not be easy to tell with the game having multiple endings.

renzolama

I'm filled with so much regret that I pre-ordered this in NA store without realizing it was going to be released weeks earlier in Japan with English subs. Only 5 days left until my long nightmare is over.

Exentryk

Yoko Taro liking the mechs in Horizon!

yRuYYcR.png

Coda

Just for reference my playthrough took about 42 hours to complete all endings, for people who haven't picked it up yet and may still be thinking this game is only 7 hours long lol

Granted if you blast through just with the story you could probably complete it all in 10-15. I just have 97% of the quests done.

I'm on the Data on the Old World sidequest.

I obtained the
nuclear fission missle instructions thing and I have to decide to give it to Pascal or the Commander. Who should I choose?

Inuhanyou

I'm playing through it at the moment. The performance is even worse than you're expecting, but it's definitely worth it, I'm having a great time. Incredibly charming game, and the combat system is surprisingly fun in the extremely rare situations where it's running somewhat close to 30fps.

It's cool how much of a signature Yoko Taro can leave on his projects. I feared it wouldn't be quite the same without the original team, but, aside from the awful technical aspect, it feels like his games through and through.

I'm also enjoying that, at least so far, it's not too wacky. It's certainly wackier than Nier, but not quite as edgy as the first one, which is a very good thing, in my opinion, as I feel like Yoko Taro's at the top of his game when he's not trying to shock so desperately.

I also was expecting less from the soundtrack, from what people have been saying in this thread, but it's still really good.

I like the remixes more than the original songs, they have a lot of them from the first game and Nier which i can't say i disliked.

I also kinda feel the opposite as you in regards to DK1. DK1 was the best concentration of depravity and insanity i've ever felt in a game, from the setting, the endings, music going in an endless loop of destruction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAfw2snqTn0

and it all had meaning for the setting and world.

In contrast, DK3 kind of turned me off with the weird 'comedic' the frequent cutaways from the visceral violence into a CM like commercial setting, and the weird off beat humor...and sexual references without committing to anything in particular besides cringe jokes and implications is probably i feel YT at his absolute worst, he didn't have the budget for any sort of cohesive thing so just threw stuff out there.

I feel like
Accord
was the most interesting thing in the game by far because of the possibility she presented to the overall story. Don't get me wrong, the actual lore DK3 presented is just as interesting as everything else in the DK/Nier verse, i just don't think the game itself is particularly good. And generally speaking the worst offense was that you could not just pin that on the production values or gameplay but other things that fell flat.

Coda

I'm on the Data on the Old World sidequest.

I obtained the
nuclear fission missle instructions thing and I have to decide to give it to Pascal or the Commander. Who should I choose?

I chose the Commander. Don't know what happens if you chose Pascal. Be cool to clarify what happens with each choice. The commander just thanks you for giving her the data and I think a reward too, wasn't really anything that significant.

Exentryk

I'll probably put in 100+ hours in this game, and most of that time will be just standing there doing nothing listening to the beautiful music.

I chose the Commander. Don't know what happens if you chose Pascal. Be cool to clarify what happens with each choice. The commander just thanks you for giving her the data and I think a reward too, wasn't really anything that significant.

So I chose
Pascal and he refused the information but still gave me a reward and the quest ended.

Is the sidequest supposed to end here?

Inuhanyou

The one where you have to steal his mask. What's the other one?

Er
yeah your referring to motor emil. Ending Y is a spoiler and is connected to the lore and history regarding Emil's mindset(not a joke ending) You have to do all of his requests to gain back pieces of his memory and then follow him to the desert

Er
yeah your referring to motor emil. Ending Y is a spoiler and is connected to the lore and history regarding Emil's mindset(not a joke ending) You have to do all of his requests to gain back pieces of his memory and then follow him to the desert
I did the entire of the Lunar Tear side quest if that's what you mean. I'm on route B btw

Inuhanyou

And that's ending E.

Wow.

W-Wow.

Congratulations!

I did the entire of the Lunar Tear side quest if that's what you mean. I'm on route B btw

You might have to
do D first, i'm not 100% sure on the parameters, but in any case,if he's not at his shop he should be in the desert, you have to find him and talk to him, he should be knocked over in front of some 'debris'

Inuhanyou

So tempted to just post the review thread now and give the hype a shot in the arm.

dont do it! We dont even have an official score yet. i would say even wait until all the major publications start but i know your getting antsy lmao

LotusHD

Banned
So tempted to just post the review thread now and give the hype a shot in the arm.

Stay strong lol

EDIT:

I too would say to not even just wait for that one last random review, but the major publications. The more I think on it, anything other that looks lame imo

Stay strong lol

EDIT:

I too would say to not even just wait for that one last random review, but the major publications. The more I think on it, anything other that looks lame imo

I mean, I 100% agree, but one can only F5 so many times before they lose their sanity.

I kid. The review that gives us a metacritic score will likely be a major publication anyway.

Okay I'm stuck on the quest
Data Analysis Freak 2
I've spent 30min looking for the last item and I can't find it

Edit: Of course I find it right after I make a post lol

Top Bottom