• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Kaisos

In genuine seriousness, I really want to see people come up with a defense of this game that doesn't boil down to "I like it so it's okay". My earlier posts in its defense are similar in tone to that, but it's not an argument that actually holds water.

How is 2B's design any different from the plugsuits in Neptunia?

I'm serious, why is discussion of this game allowed when plenty of other, equally misogynist games are banned? It's a sexist mess, immediately discrediting what little value it might have, and now that we have games like Horizon to show us how female protagonists should actually be written, I really don't see the point.

then just don't play it and go back to horizon OT... why bother with this? Also saying that the game is misogynist is proof you never played a yoko taro game! bye!

EDIT :
You guys fell for his bait. Just ignore shit posters.

well it's always hard to tell when all you have is written text! Anyway, let's not bother with it

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
In genuine seriousness, I really want to see people come up with a defense of this game that doesn't boil down to "I like it so it's okay". My earlier posts in its defense are similar in tone to that, but it's not an argument that actually holds water.

I don't feel that content is inherently sexist to have certain designs or have a certain element of sexualization. Thus i don't feel it necessarily dictates a defense

Others may feel differently but that is their viewpoints obviously

Zolo

As far as 2B's design goes? I think it's genuinely pretty stylish, though the slit on the dress may come up too high and could maybe do without the boob window. For the record, I dislike Kaine's outfit and didn't really think the reason for it from an in-universe perspective held up, though I'm sure Taro would have no problem admitting it still comes down to liking a sexy design like with 2B.

Also, it helps when a game is open up to nudity on both sides like
having a nude male boss fight.

Just ignore it, please. It's obvious enough that they don't know what they're talking about considering they say it tells the exact same story, the rest is just fishing for a reaction.

Don't bite.

mollipen

I think the only real part that I feel might need explanation/an excuse is A2. The big ordeal over B2's panties was complete lie, because they aren't even panties that you're seeing. In terms of the rest of her design, it doesn't look far from the type of stuff I'd totally wear if I could pull it off. (Minus, maybe, the super huge slit in the dress.)

Beyond character design, the two female characters are far more interesting and have more depth than the male character (IMHO), and the story is about
doing your own thing instead of just being subservient to someone else
. (Not really a spoiler unless you want to know nothing at all about the plot.)

Okay, so how does this not make him a pariah? I'm genuinely curious, as Kojima was raked over the coals for Quiet's design.

Quiet's outfit is something most women would never wear out into the world. B2's totally is.

Kaisos

I'm sure Taro would have no problem admitting it still comes down to liking a sexy design like with 2B.

Okay, so how does this not make him a pariah? I'm genuinely curious, as Kojima was raked over the coals for Quiet's design.

Coda

How is 2B's design any different from the plugsuits in Neptunia?

If you actually played the game you'd realize there's barely any type of sexualization of the character other than the outfit which doesn't even compare to some other games. That is what's important. And yes we like the game so we play it. Personally I think game design needs to always be a freedom of expression. If we strip creative freedom out of the industry than personally it would be a boring industry with just Call of Duty and your so called Horizon title.

DKL

Man and here I was trying to figure out if there's any other ways I can keep enemies suspended in the air while I beat them up.

(that said, I'm not actually good at finding this kind of tech, so I'll leave that to everyone else lol)

Zolo

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't really consider Kojima a pariah, so I can't say. I do admit I dislike how Kojima seems to make excuses about designs and about how people will feel shame for their words and such. Haven't played the MGS series after 3, so I don't know how the characters are.

Coda

Ok, while I don't care about the entire thing, the bolded is not even remotely a decent argument and I guess you already played and finished Horizon to conclude that it's boring?

I'm not trying to hate on Horizon, I said earlier that it looks like a very good game, just maybe not entirely for me. My point was that Horizon is not to be compared with Nier Automata, Horizon has a more mass market appeal regarding it's world and characters. Nier Automata is pretty weird and personally it's why I also love it.

Inuhanyou

Yoko Taro boldly embraces the weirder side of gaming with great characters and plots to hold up his eccentricity. Kojima wants to be a mainstream figure and make certain excuses for certain things in his games which are pretty flimsy...that's primarily what gets him heat sometimes.

Even then i sincerely doubt anybody calls Kojima a 'pariah' so much as calling him out on saying dumb stuff from time to time, hence the 'words and deeds' thing.

JayEH

Squire

Banned
I think the problem with Quiet was less the character herself, or even her outfit, but how the game itself seemed to regard her.

Quiet was kind of cool or at the least she could've been. She was an awesome partner, and I thought her affection for 80s music was charming.

But the way the camera panned around her in the helicopter, the showering in the rain, becoming a love interest for Snake out of basically nowhere, and generally being played as a victim in the games narrative. Those as the real problems with Quiet.

I've only played the demo, but I never got that PG was doing the same thing with 2B. Her skirt isn't very long and she's pretty acrobatic, so sometimes you see her leotard. That's basically it though. You'll notice none of the scenes in the demo or in any of the promotional material features scenes that directly place a focus on her underwear or greats or anything like that. None of that framing is there and that's a pretty key thing to note.

Feel free to say if the game switches up from that (I just don't want to slip the story), but my poky is this: A female character is not inherently sexist because she's been givien a design that's sexy. That kind of thinking pre-supposes that only heterosexual men like these characters (erasing every other viewpoint) and generally dorsn't appreciate that misogyny is a multi-faceted issue that permeates societies in various ways. It doesn't begin and end at "Can you see this woman's panties? Sexist."

It's been an annoying discourse in the Nier and GR2 threads because the opposition always comes off as so small-minded and projects that.

Inuhanyou

Oh for sure. I don't really have much interest in HZD either, but dismissing valid criticism expressed in the most trollish, obnoxious way possible because Yoko Taro is quirky as fuck and AAA is generic and boring and it's not as bad as DOAX3 is not the best argument you can put down and you know it.

My own two cents are that I also don't like 2Bs design. Regardless of how interesting a character she is or whatever random and likely flimsy justification we get (if any), we all know her design is what it is cause Yoko Taro finds that sexy. That is not to say that sexuality in itself is an issue, but rather that I can see why a design born from the devs desire to make something he finds hot can be an issue for some. I can't really justify that, aside from saying that it is what it is and I at least hope the game is good otherwise.

There's pretty much no flimsy explanation for the record trying to make it 'acceptable'. I don't think that is a spoiler for me saying so. The Yorha units all have designs in this manner.

And honestly i don't think there needs to be one. The designs are what they are.

i love her outfit, the only thing i don't like is the boob window (but it's not as much in your face at least, like we don't really see the cleavage) and the high heels, but the dress is pretty cool

i love her outfit, the only thing i don't like is the boob window (but it's not as much in your face at least, like we don't really see the cleavage) and the high heels, but the dress is pretty cool
Boob windows are fine. I work with lots of 30-50 year old ladies who wear boob windows all the time. Most are similar to Beverly D'Angelo's blouse in Christmas Vacation. It is very classy when worn appropriately. None of these ladies wear skirts like 2b, however...
5b40d8ee56733980013d2ef3354776bb.jpg

Jiraiza

Welp, I'm out this OT for a while...sheesh.

Not a big deal if people have a problem with her design. What ultimately matters is how her character was handled and 2B was literal perfection from beginning to end. Unlike Quiet for example. Then again, I've never played MGSV so I don't know her character all that well aside from the breathe through skin schtick. /shrug

Squire

Banned
Not a big deal if people have a problem with her design. What ultimately matters is how her character was handled and 2B was literal perfection from beginning to end. Unlike Quiet for example. Then again, I've never played MGSV so I don't know her character all that well aside from the breathe through skin schtick. /shrug

You're not missing very much. Not too completely shit on her, but there's definitely more bad there than good.

laaame

Yoko Taro still using this in Nier Automata, I reckon? I wonder why he likes doing this.
Well it makes sense from a story perspective in the original Nier, considering what happens in the ending
D

Haven't played Automata or the Drakengards, so I'm not sure if its just a Yoko Taro thing.

Inuhanyou

Well it makes sense from a story perspective in the original Nier, considering what happens in the ending
D

Haven't played Automata or the Drakengards, so I'm not sure if its just a Yoko Taro thing.

Yeah its pretty much a Yoko thing. He's done it since the first Drakengard

JayEH

I know what happens in D3 (thanks to Clemps) but I'm still interested in playing it. Not sure if I could handle the PS2 graphics with 5 fps average though.

Inuhanyou

Drakengard does not delete anything

Mark spoilers, also i'm referring to
multiple endings leading to multiple conclusions, not deletion of save

That's not true, Nier was the first that did it, it's part of what led to the cult status

See above.

Also...i would technically say the story itself was far more impact than just that one element...i mean it would be pretty meh if everything that happens before didn't happen on top of that

Top Bottom