• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigel Farage resigns as Ukip leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My guess is Murdoch doesn't want article 50 enacted afterall and is hoping that if all the leave heads leave it will allow his other puppets to call it off without serious opposition.

The thing is they have all committed themselves to leave except Cameron.

Maybe when the road is clear Cameron will announce he is staying after all and going to campaign on staying in the EU.

Refreshing to see people who campaign for what they want and then step away when they get it. Career politicians are the cancer of democracy.

DeathyBoy

Banned
This is like one of those racist Westerns where they run off the foreigners, but know they can never live in the white utopia they've created.

Only this is real life, and it's even more fucked up

tumblr_nw205dVhc31s3uawvo1_r1_400.gif

Yup.

The party does seem kind of redundant now. They'll never be in power, and they've achieved their primary mission objective without needing to be elected.

Not taking people in groups like UKIP seriously is how we ended up with a Brexit vote and how we end up with guys like Trump running for president.

None of us should ever be making these mistakes again.

Dougald

Why doesn't he resign from being an MEP as well?

Would you quit a job where you got paid loads of money (plus expenses) to do absolutely nothing except occasionally turn up to the odd meeting and hurl insults at your colleagues?

Haunted

Same as Trump: it'd be funny if the consequences weren't so dire and would negatively impact literally millions of people.

The cynical (and realistic) side of me thinks that he would never do this without having another job lined up, and I'm sure a man with his "gift" for public speaking would have plenty of employment opportunities.

Having said that, he's on the record as saying his children have been bullied and his wife harassed because of his politics. I remember reading some crazy story where he was run out of a pub by protesters and separated from his children until they moved on. It's a situation of his own making but I imagine being in the Farage family is pretty fucking stressful, now more than ever.

As manipulative as he's proven to be, I think him saying he wants his life back is a pretty interesting choice of words. There might be a bit of sincerity in it...

Farage on the tory ticket 2020 guaranteed

krazen

The cynical (and realistic) side of me thinks that he would never do this without having another job lined up, and I'm sure a man with his "gift" for public speaking would have plenty of employment opportunities.

Having said that, he's on the record as saying his children have been bullied and his wife harassed because of his politics. I remember reading some crazy story where he was run out of a pub by protesters and separated from his children until they moved on. It's a situation of his own making but I imagine being in the Farage family is pretty fucking stressful, now more than ever.

As manipulative as he's proven to be, I think him saying he wants his life back is a pretty interesting choice of words. There might be a bit of sincerity in it...

The thing is, would he get his life back?

He's the very public face of one of the biggest political moves the country has ever seen...he will never retire from public scrutiny

Romez

What's crazy to me is people didn't stop and think 'wait, I'm voting on the same side as Farage, Boris and Katie Hopkins WTF am I doing?'

FyreWulff

So, Parliament pretty much has full run of cancelling the whole thing now, huh? Nobody that wanted it is around anymore.

The thing is, would he get his life back?

He's the very public face of one of the biggest political moves the country has ever seen...he will never retire from public scrutiny

Yup, he's always going to be Mr Brexit, but he can at least stop adding to it. People will move on from Brexit fallout, as unlikely as it seems atm.

Eventually Farage and Bo Jo's names are going to be replaced with the names of the next PM / Chancellors and the clusterfuck they have to deal with over the next 2-3 years. They're getting out before the true shit hits the fan, quite wisely too.

Also, British press have demonstrable magpie brains, so eventually, they'll learn to stop going to him for comment. However, all of this is contingent on whether he decides against becoming a Murdoch sock puppet or Tory spin doctor, both of which would be very lucrative jobs and still keep him in the public eye,

Time will tell

Yoda

He was just an MP no? He has no bearing on domestic policy (article 50) if I'm not mistaken.

Slayven

They don't have an Obama to blame? Usually when the right here fuck up and ruins the government they just blame Obama

The reaction to this is a bit confusing to me. Doesn't it make complete sense that he's leaving now? He's achieved exactly what he wanted. Wouldn't it be more odd if he hung around? Like, what do you want now?

I mean, him staying on as an MEP is kind of a dick move. I'm sure he has absolutely no intention of doing any work or showing up for any votes, and will just cash his nice MEP pay cheque. But then again, he was kind of elected to be a massive dick...

Dougald

The reaction to this is a bit confusing to me. Doesn't it make complete sense that he's leaving now? He's achieved exactly what he wanted. Wouldn't it be more odd if he hung around? Like, what do you want now?

I mean, him staying on as an MEP is kind of a dick move. I'm sure he has absolutely no intention of doing any work or showing up for any votes, and will just cash his nice MEP pay cheque. But then again, he was kind of elected to be a massive dick...

Business as usual then :)

I don't think it's that illogical for him to quit now. He and his party have campaigned to get the UK to exit the EU, now that the referendum is won he no longer needs to campaign.

Farage and UKIP were never going to actually execute Brexit, just push for it to actually happen.

UKIP's future now is up for discussion. As a few people have said, they may well try to reposition themselves as a party that represents working class people and move in on Labour's turf.

If Nigel steps down, it gives them the opportunity to rebrand with a new leader.

redcrayon

Utter wanker. Nobody wants the poisoned chalice of actually putting a plan together and being held responsible for the UK's situation post-Brexit as they didn't expect to win and can see which way the wind is blowing.

Johnson's retreat is even more cynical. Farage wanted out of the EU and campaigned for it. Boris just wanted the pm job through being seen as a plucky loser in the referendum, but now he's won, he thinks the next parliament will be the political death of whoever is in the chair, so he's hoping to sit on the sidelines for four years while someone else deals with the mess. At which point he can pop up again.

They're just going to cut to the chase and blame Obama anyway

You can borrow our Obama if you need to. We understand you're in a trying time right now and need a politician who actually gives a shit to express your frustrations to, even if he can't do anything to help.

Spuck-uk

Banned

He'll be off to write columns for The Sun for £££.

They're just going to cut to the chase and blame Obama anyway

Actually, that could work. I mean they were obviously only put in this awkward situation because of all those super dangerous refugees the EU were forcing on them. And we all know those refugees were created solely by Obama's policies in the middle east over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom