• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigel Farage resigns as Ukip leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, don't you get it? Something something the establishment something something

Nobody cares about consequences, they like it when their team gets points.
I know. The anti-establishment 13 year member of parliament who had a 'real job' before as stock broker. Such a honest guy, doing this all for the people! He's one of us! Just look at him drinking beer and such!

Like you said, it seems to be more about scoring points lately then actually doing the right thing for your country and people.

Baleoce

Ukip is in a good position and will continue

I don't understand this quote. UKIP = UK Independence Party.

Surely now that they've achieved their goal, they have no reason to exist as a party anymore?

Plum

I don't understand this quote. UKIP = UK Independence Party.

Surely now that they've achieved their goal, they have no reason to exist as a party anymore?

Someone needs to be around to go all "voice of the people" if we don't leave, or fuck up negotiations if we do.

Mr Git

farage-ukip-plane-_3230073k.jpg

Hahahaha. How on earth did I forget that day, so close.

And yeah how the fuck is he still an MEP. Still feels like the one job he shouldn't have.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but even though he's resigning as the leader of UKIP, he's keeping his European Parliament seat and the attached salary.

He was hit by a car, married his nurse, had testicular cancer, then married a German, then the plane crash, and then helped destroy the future.

what a career.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
What the hell is the context of this?

One of the most hated politicians in the country narrowly avoided a fatal accident while in an aircraft, when a pro-UKIP banner got caught in the tailplane and brought it down as a whole. The pilot went nuts after it, not the best situation for Farage admittedly, and I don't take any joy out of these photos.

AxelFoley

He had a crash with a light aircraft but was fortunately extremely lucky and got away with just a couple of scratches. But he looks so beautifully miserable on these pictures. :)

farage-ukip-plane-_3230090b.jpg

Lol, he looks like that squirrel that was getting its ass kicked by that woodpecker.

Zomba13

Everybody on the leave side are all a bunch of spineless cowardly cunts. Cause a huge fucking mess for the rest of us and just bail before having to actually deal with it leaving the people who didn't want to leave to sort this shit show out. Fucking pathetic.

Tyaren

Like a bad smell he'll linger for a long while.

He's more than just a smell... He will go down in British and European history. Very likely not in a positive way...time will tell just how negative.

By the way, I don't think he resigns because of cowardice or because he's worried about what will happen next, like all of the others. I'm sure he still absolutely believes in what he did and now really thinks his great contribution to the country is done and he can have a well earned rest.

The cynical (and realistic) side of me thinks that he would never do this without having another job lined up, and I'm sure a man with his "gift" for public speaking would have plenty of employment opportunities.

Having said that, he's on the record as saying his children have been bullied and his wife harassed because of his politics. I remember reading some crazy story where he was run out of a pub by protesters and separated from his children until they moved on. It's a situation of his own making but I imagine being in the Farage family is pretty fucking stressful, now more than ever.

As manipulative as he's proven to be, I think him saying he wants his life back is a pretty interesting choice of words. There might be a bit of sincerity in it...

Farage on the tory ticket 2020 guaranteed

I will remenber to say that to my own children, specialy now that a row about EU nationals living in the UK, and UK nationals abroad may be used as a bargaining chip for some fucked up power ungry politician
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36707573

Are we back on the 1930 Germany? Because it sounds like it

Well, there's still the little matter of the 17 million who voted leave...

Does not matter much in the big picture. The very public, powerful and 'passionate' leaders of the leave campaign are falling like dominos. Parliament has no requirement to even acknowledge the leave win, at best it serves as an advisory note from the general public.

Yes that might be classed as not catering to a democracy, but the general public won't care, or not care enough to riot over this. Plus their political voices are being silenced day after day with all the leave bigwigs jumping off like rats on a sinking ship, which fuels people who voted leave to change their tune, the collapsing of the political power and voice of the leave leaders is not a good look at all for the leave voters.

The next PM, if they voted to remain, and it looks like the candidates who did (esp may) will win, will delay triggering article 50 until the next gen election in 2020. It will most likely be difficult as hell extending the timetable to leave the EU, however expect heavy, private negotiations to try and get more time.

Then, introduce a second referendum in 2020 via a general election, the public, even the staunch leave voters, would have long forgotten about the first referendum outcome by then, and due to the second EU vote and then general election, feel as if their voices matter once more.

Of course all of the above is at this point, merely predictions. Could be a leave supporter become the next PM and pulls article 50.

Acorn

Well maybe I got 1 thing I prayed for out of the referendum. Good bye you colossal cunt, I hope this Farage media love in will be done now. Unlikely but it's nice to dream.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So he's going to dip the country into a recession, and then decides to resign to go off and live happily ever after?

That seems to be a trending strategy to be honest. UK people were betrayed by their politicians and then some. The fact that no one wants to be responsible for the mess should be enough to have a revote, I feel.

hodgy100

That seems to be a trending strategy to be honest. UK people were betrayed by their politicians and then some. The fact that no one wants to be responsible for the mess should be enough to have a revote, I feel.

There's no point in a re-vote as it's pretty much just forcing a vote to get the "right" answer, maybe the Government should jsut fess up say " we never had the intention to leave the EU because it's a terrible idea that would destroy our country."

eat the fucking humble pie.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There's no point in a re-vote as it's pretty much just forcing a vote to get the "right" answer, maybe the Government should jsut fess up say " we never had the intention to leave the EU because it's a terrible idea that would destroy our country."

eat the fucking humble pie.

Okay, I like that option more, a re-vote would just be "Well, the people have made their opinion clear yadda yadda". Making them admit how dumb they are is the better option.

hodgy100

Okay, I like that option more, a re-vote would just be "Well, the people have made their opinion clear yadda yadda". Making them admit how dumb they are is the better option.

you know it wouldn't happen though, it would be political suicide :/

transparency and honesty really hamper the democratic process :/

PatjuhR

Lol some Dutch blog/site portretted him as some kind of hero ever since our own referendum and now he does this.

Weak move.

He had a crash with a light aircraft but was fortunately extremely lucky and got away with just a couple of scratches. But he looks so beautifully miserable on these pictures. >:)

Wow, that story sounds like it was originally more severe and someone went back in time to save him and change history.

He had a crash with a light aircraft but was fortunately extremely lucky and got away with just a couple of scratches. But he looks so beautifully miserable on these pictures. >:)

According to wikipedia, the couple of scratches were actually a broken sternum, broken ribs and punctured lungs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom