• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS into Dreams HD |OT| Dreaming of snow, sparkles, and nightmares [Control patch]

Daigoro

Yep. Controls are fixed. Christmas is saved! :D

They still don't feel 100% like the Saturn controls, more like 95% I'd say. But that's due to playing it on a different controller and not the NiGHTS 3D pad the game was made for, so it's only a matter of getting used to it a little.
Certainly not the problem it was before.

So glad they did take the time and take this issue seriously. That's the old Sega I remember and love. :)

so like, you can pretty much fly in a cirlce and not a square now?

whoo!

ill wait for cyber monday just to be sure it doesnt go on sale just after i buy it, but, bought!

meppi

so like, you can pretty much fly in a cirlce and not a square now?
Absolutely.

It controls pretty much like the PS2 port now, which is as close as we'll ever going to get without playing it on a actual Sega Saturn with the 3D pad.

Very surprised as well that they bothered to fix this blatant issue even though a lot of people said it was perfectly fine.
Wonder how long it will take before someone comes in here and states he loved the unpatched controls and that the game is now ruined. ;P

Dachande

Yes! I'll grab the updated 360 demo tonight and confirm, but if it's fixed then I'll be buying it.

Yeah, a thread title change would be appreciated, I only checked the bumped thread out of desperation.

Damn Sega delivers once again. I honestly had no faith in A control patch. Now will you guys rock out on the leader boards with me? Its been so lonely...

flattie

Sega have had a fantastic year. Great, great news about the patch. This game seriously deserves it and massive kudos to Sega for making it so, rather than just ignoring the issue.

meppi

Damn Sega delivers once again. I honestly had no faith in A control patch. Now will you guys rock out on the leader boards with me? Its been so lonely...

Friend request sent. ;)
It looks like it's gonna be NiGHTS for me tonight after I finish work, instead of playing Halo 4 and cursing at the screen. :)

Thank fuck.

Holy shit! Can't believe Sega actually patched this. Redemption! Can't wait to give it a shot.

Edit--Okay, just got to play it. It's a big improvement. The control with the analog sticks actually feels, well, analog! My link numbers improved almost immediately. It was actually a shock at first considering I had adapted to the pre-patch scheme. But NiGHTS dances around now and you can easily make fluid loops. So as a Saturn veteran, the only thing that I find really different with this version is the link timing, but other than that, this is the definitive edition.

Bravo Sega for actually patching it!

XBOX 360 version owner checking in on the update.

Holy moley it's like night and day. I was satisfied with the notchey control of the original unpatched release as it was still playable but this patch pretty much brings it as close as you're going to get to playing the real thing on the Saturn. The high scores are going to SKYROCKET. I can finally do links over 60 without feeling like I have to force the controller to stay a certain way.

This is an excellent early Christmas present. Just in time for me to start enjoying Christmas Nights mmmm... If only the patch added the music box mode then it totally would be perfection.

This... This is the Sega of my childhood, you know those guys who were fucking awesome and gave a fuck? Those guys who lovingly crafted games and arcade ports to damn near as perfect as they could get it. Mother of God, what great news. The drive home from work will be that little bit quicker tonight.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So now I have no excuse not to buy this when the Steam version is released, right? I hope I'll be able to enjoy it, not having played the Saturn or PS2 versions and therefore not feeling nostalgic about the game.

entremet

Man, what a difference! So much better. This is the Nights I remember. It's funny because I had to get used to the original controls again.

Dachande

I PMed EatChildren to get the title changed and mention the controls patch. Hopefully that'd let anyone else who was waiting for the controls to be fixed know about it.

Did Microsoft actually change their policy on patches? Normally when you redownload something, it downloads the initial version and then it downloads the patch when you first launch it.

Instead of that, it just automatically downloaded the newest version of NiGHTS, I guess, because it didn't ask me to patch when I booted it up just now.

But I'm also having a hard time telling if anything is that wildly different so maybe my version just isn't patching for some reason? This'd be a lot easier if there was a version number listed somewhere. I mean, it certainly seems like its changed, but not radically so. Fine movement still feels kind of stiff and angular, especially at high speed.

BUT, given that I just got a new high score on Spring Valley AND finally managed to land the "Dreamy!" achievement (11 tricks in one Acrobat Time session), I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Edit: Boo, the Stick Canyon cage is still weird :\

dvolovets

Did Microsoft actually change their policy on patches? Normally when you redownload something, it downloads the initial version and then it downloads the patch when you first launch it.

Instead of that, it just automatically downloaded the newest version of NiGHTS, I guess, because it didn't ask me to patch when I booted it up just now.

But I'm also having a hard time telling if anything is that wildly different so maybe my version just isn't patching for some reason? This'd be a lot easier if there was a version number listed somewhere. I mean, it certainly seems like its changed, but not radically so. Fine movement still feels kind of stiff and angular, especially at high speed.

BUT, given that I just got a new high score on Spring Valley AND finally managed to land the "Dreamy!" achievement (11 tricks in one Acrobat Time session), I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Wait, so I'm supposed to delete my version and then redownload it from Xbox Live? I've never actually done that with an XBLA game before. Will that keep my save file and everything?

Edit - Ah, never mind, it just asked me if I wanted to update. :)

Mike M

Nick N
Digital Sega is the best Sega. I'd kept the demo and 800 points in my account on the off chance they'd patch it, and lo and behold!

Gonna buy it as soon as I get home.

I guess it must've downloaded the patch with the game because I just cleared my system cache and it definitely had a patch to get.

I guess, just like others have said, it's not all the way fixed, it's just "improved". I guess I shouldn't complain. I am now ranked in the top 100 players for Spring Valley, after all. :p

meppi

I guess it must've downloaded the patch with the game because I just cleared my system cache and it definitely had a patch to get.

I guess, just like others have said, it's not all the way fixed, it's just "improved". I guess I shouldn't complain.

The controls are now pretty much exact like the Japanese only PS2 version, so it's the best we're going to get with an emulation/port like this.
The main issue doesn't seem to be with the game itself, but the feel of the different controllers.
The Saturn 3D pad was created specifically for one game and it showed in the perfect smoothness and looseness of that stick. It also meant the controller felt a bit weird and needed adjustment time when playing other games on it that supported the controller.

The analogue sticks that we have today are very different, so it's never gonna feel 100% exact.
Then again, with the controls themselves being fine now, it's only a matt of getting used to the new sticks.

thirty

Banned
Jesus Christ its GLORIOUS. I was one of the biggest complainers about the controls and if someone from the team is reading this I want to thank you SO much for fixing it. It's snaps every now and then but its literally NiGHT and day between this and the unpatched version. Dammit NiGHTS is officially here in fucking HD!!!!!

The controls are now pretty much exact like the Japanese only PS2 version, so it's the best we're going to get with an emulation/port like this.
The main issue doesn't seem to be with the game itself, but the feel of the different controllers.
The Saturn 3D pad was created specifically for one game and it showed in the perfect smoothness and looseness of that stick. It also meant the controller felt a bit weird and needed adjustment time when playing other games on it that supported the controller.

The analogue sticks that we have today are very different, so it's never gonna feel 100% exact.
Then again, with the controls themselves being fine now, it's only a matt of getting used to the new sticks.

That makes sense. And yeah, thinking back to the Japanese PS2 version, I guess they do feel more like that one does. That was stiff in a lot of the same ways this patched version is (unfortunately, I can't do a direct comparison, because the PC I use PCSX2 on is out of commission until after Christmas due to a dead HDD).

Dachande

Yeah, I could tell the controls have been fixed from the first 5 seconds of controlling Claris when Spring Valley started, the same way I was able to tell it was broken back when it was first released. It may not be absolutely perfect 100% to the Saturn version, but it's close enough for me to not be worried about it.

So I put my money where my mouth is. Bought. Now to try some scores...

Top Bottom