• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS into Dreams HD |OT| Dreaming of snow, sparkles, and nightmares [Control patch]

dani_dc

Great news, I'm still waiting for the PC version but I wasn't planning on getting it until it went on sale after the news of the controls issue, this news means I'll be getting the game as soon as I can. Seeing as SA2 was released last week and this patch came this week I'm assuming/hoping we'll see the game soon after the Steam Autumn Sales end.

It feels like a whole new game for me. After getting so used to the control scheme it released with a month ago, I had pretty much all but given up hope for something smooth. My scores without actually trying to focus have improved. This is as good as it's going to get. I wish it were like this at release. I wonder what the port team was thinking when they released it originally.

It feels like a whole new game for me. After getting so used to the control scheme it released with a month ago, I had pretty much all but given up hope for something smooth. My scores without actually trying to focus have improved. This is as good as it's going to get. I wish it were like this at release. I wonder what the port team was thinking when they released it originally.

It's fixed now and that's all that matters. I played the snow level (you think after all these years I'd remember names) and managed to pull off a 80+link easily, just like the old days on Christmas NiGHTS Link Attack.

Well done, Sega. I was satisfied with the version you released, but a little disappointed. You guys made it right and now I couldn't be happier. Bring on more digital classics, I will buy them all.

It's fixed now and that's all that matters. I played the snow level (you think after all these years I'd remember names) and managed to pull off a 80+link easily, just like the old days on Christmas NiGHTS Link Attack.

Well done, Sega. I was satisfied with the version you released, but a little disappointed. You guys made it right and now I couldn't be happier. Bring on more digital classics, I will buy them all.
I totally agree. Bring it on!

thirty

Banned

I almost linked 250 this morning

tumblr_mdxnh9juBp1rr2g16o1_1280.jpg

Word, about time I got these last three

danwarb

I've been loading the Xbox version up every now and again hoping for an update and I just got it. Still missing a slight sense of momentum from the Saturn game I think, but otherwise it's nigh on perfect.

Thank you SEGA.

Baron

So is the PS3 one patched yet or is it still only the 360 one that's fixed? I booted it up 2 days ago and it didn't prompt for an update or anything yet.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Funny I just bought it 1 second ago came onto GAF (to browse while it downloads) & saw it on the front page. Guess I copped it @ the right time since there is a control patch.
Night's, Fire Pro Wrestling 6 ms, VF 2, Fighter's Megamix, Mega Man X, Were my shit on Sega Saturn.
Hope more Saturn games get love....

Malajax

Wait I got this on PSN, It's not patched?

Seems like that is the case.

I was st browsing YouTube and stumbled upon BlazeHedgehog's nights comparison vid when it said "outdated". Couldn't believe it got a patch! I was so excited until I found out that the ps3 version is still "broken". I really liked the first version initially, but if the patched version is so much better I'll be even more excited. Can't wait until its fixed on ps3

Also, booted it up for the first time since Halloween. Christmas NiGHTS! I'll definitely have to replay it again.

danwarb

This control fix makes a huge difference to the feel of the game. Proper NiGHTS.

I got on the first page for twin seeds by flying around the second track a few times. Didn't think to do that before.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Just got done playing what's wrong with the controls?
This game is just as great as it was 16 years ago. I <3 SEGA!

Berordn

Just got done playing what's wrong with the controls?
This game is just as great as it was 16 years ago. I <3 SEGA!

NiGHTS doesn't actually have 360 degrees of movement in the unpatched version. It's like playing with a multidirectional D-Pad. Totally doable and still a great game, but it's not the control scheme it was designed for.

KiNeSiS

Banned
NiGHTS doesn't actually have 360 degrees of movement in the unpatched version. It's like playing with a multidirectional D-Pad. Totally doable and still a great game, but it's not the control scheme it was designed for.

Got Ya, I remember it having that Sega Saturn analog controller packaged with it back in the day. I don't remember any of my other games taking advantage of that controller though.

Spin dash seems a bit quicker too, so it's easier to maintain links.

The patched game is a joy to replay.

I kind of noticed that a bit too. This is about as good as it gets. If you want perfection, an original copy of NiGHTS, a 3D controller, and a Saturn aren't that expensive but the best you can do is S-video and run the risk of losing your A-life saves if you are foolish enough not to buy a backup ram cartridge. :)

This is now my go-to pick up and play game whenever I want to just chill for a few minutes.

flattie

Great news all. PSN patch is up - have just downloaded (not tested yet).

Also confirmed on the Sega blog (apologies for no link, typing from phone).

Edit: tested PS3 version overnight: speed has indeed been more closely matched to the Saturn version and the controls are noticeably more analogue than before. Good job Sega.

danwarb

This game deserves more sales as it is now. Still no word on the Steam version?

Attention NiGHTS into dreams… fans! We’ve released a patch for the game on XBLA and PSN with two very important updates. First, we’ve adjusted the controls to allow analog input in 24 directions, which will give you greater control. Second, we’ve changed the drill-dash speed so it aligns with the Saturn version of the game.
Make sure you get the update, and keep enjoying the game
http://blogs.sega.com/2012/11/29/update-for-nights-into-dreams-on-psn-and-xbla/

In spite of the fact that I found the mechanics at launch more functional than some of the harsher critics I'm glad the game was patched, and I'm impressed with both the tenacity of the fans and with Sega for listening and bothering to address the issue. There are still little niggling differences from the original that prevent it from being a truly definitive version, but short of owning a Saturn this is a fantastic way for people to experience the franchise for the first time. Also have to hand it to Sega for not overpricing their HD remakes like Capcom. Good times!

Oh Damn how did I miss this? Great news, I was super bummed I wouldn't be able to play Christmas nights on the ps3 version before the holidays.

Firing it up tonight. Big ups to SEGA for fixing a mistake on what must be a tiny financial release for them. Shouldn't have been released like that in the first place, but SEGA from five years ago wouldn't have give a sh*t.

Just a reminder, but I totally made a video that shows what it looked like pre-patch for the curious.

Unfortunately, the only thing the patch fixed was the analog stick stuff. All the other changes presented in that video are still in the patched game. :

Jesus what a graphic depiction of the fail. It was actually kind of masked by how well animated nights is.

A lot of my pre patch scores are still holding up pretty well. I have improved in a couple areas I used to struggle with in the pre patched version though. I can pull off some decent links in Splash Garden and Soft Museum now. I love how this game stays fresh.

ezodagrom

Coordinating simultaneous press releases is hard.
Well, I meant more an announcement of the release date sometime before the release, for Sonic Adventure 2 they at least announced the release date in the friday before the release on twitter (the game was released the following monday), for NiGHTS not even that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Well, I meant more an announcement of the release date sometime before the release, for Sonic Adventure 2 they at least announced the release date in the friday before the release on twitter (the game was released the following monday), for NiGHTS not even that.

I'm joking because that was literally their excuse for the delay in Nights and Sonic's PC ports (eg. the ports were done at the same time as the consoles, but it's hard coordinating across multiple storefronts, so here's a delay without any kind of time frame for when they'll be released.)

cloudbot

Neo Member
Even though I didn't see an option for borderless fullscreen, running the game at my native resolution in fullscreen mode appears to run it borderless (there was no delay whatsoever alt-tabbing)

Sciz

No options to speak of, but it runs and controls just fine. Glad to have it out in time for the holidays.

goldenpp72

Is it normal to have the bosses suddenly be randomized? I just fought Reala in the first stage, than the girls first boss in the boys first stage, I thought it was a glitch but it keeps happening.

Is it normal to have the bosses suddenly be randomized? I just fought Reala in the first stage, than the girls first boss in the boys first stage, I thought it was a glitch but it keeps happening.

I think they get randomized after you beat the game once. There's a specific setting or button prompt on the level select menu that lets you play the specific boss for that stage.

Top Bottom