• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 1 (reboot) |OT| Itagaki's Masterpiece

MechaX

Oh, it gets better. If you so much as remove the 360 HDD, NG's save data will become corrupt, so in a few years it may become unplayable on a 360 at all.

That's pretty much the biggest thing keeping me from replaying NGB on my 360 (especially since I go back and forth between two 20 GB hard-drives).

But after the Rachel missions, I absolutely refuse to go back to Sigma 1.

Tain

Oh, it gets better. If you so much as remove the 360 HDD, NG's save data will become corrupt, so in a few years it may become unplayable on a 360 at all.

Ouch.

Glad my original Xbox still works, but I kind of want to find and set up a backup HD for it.

PC-based Xbox emulation can't come soon enough.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That's pretty much the biggest thing keeping me from replaying NGB on my 360 (especially since I go back and forth between two 20 GB hard-drives).

I hated Rachel's missions until I discovered she's a press y to win machine. She still sux.

Mitark

It isnt game breaking at all. The items that boost your attack also weaken your defense, and the negative effects also stack. On the higher difficulties you take so much damage that it forces you to fight so carefully. The game is still really good on the Vita and having NG on the go is so awesome.

i agree with you , i tried the one that increase attack but decrease defense.. god i get killed easily on hard

playing on VITA started on hard , i don't remember this game was that hard.

even for some costume you need to finish the game in very hard to get it so it's fair... I'm struggling on hard,i cant imagine playing on very hard or Master ninja /fear

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One FYI on the Vita version. Gyro aiming for bow is optional. You can set aiming to the right stick + button to fire in the options. The only thing you have to use the touch screen for is going into first person aiming for the bow, which is a single tap.

That's not 100% flawless, but it's not anything like being stuck with gyro aiming and tapping the screen to fire.

inky

I didn't know about the save thingy! So my current save is useless now =/

Oh God, don't remind me of Rachel. Her missions are atrocious and she absolutely breaks the pacing of the game. Fuck you Hayashi, you Ninja Dog :p

Jigsaw

Banned
One FYI on the Vita version. Gyro aiming for bow is optional. You can set aiming to the right stick + button to fire in the options.

that is actually the worst option since it's incredibly inaccurate and wonky

just use the default option and tap on the screen shoot,you don't even have to aim,just tap on the top left screen and he will fire in that direction even though he is aiming at the middle of the screen,it works really well so i don't get the bitching,it's even faster and more accurate than stick aiming in black or ps3 sigma

Just beat sigma last night however it took me multiple tries against the final boss. I had no consumables to use, and the lack of a save made it a chore to traverse the final area just to get back to the boss area. Still, I can't remember a time when I've actually finished a boss and literally screamed out "Yeah you fuck!, that's what happens!"
I'm pretty sure that my wife's nether regions dried up just hearing me talk shit to a video game boss.
NG is one of those games that you can see yourself improving so it really makes your work worth it. The payoff is your heart pumping after even the most trivial encounters.

On to Sigma 2.

Gonna work on the scoring section a bit today. Found out at least one new thing last night-- if you pause the game, your level timer still runs. So, I was just before Alma, paused, got sidetracked with stuff including making/posting this thread, beat her, had a several hour level completion time. But since I did both fiend challenges in the chapter, I got Master Ninja for the level. Other stages rely on the timer for a master ninja ranking.

One FYI on the Vita version. Gyro aiming for bow is optional. You can set aiming to the right stick + button to fire in the options. The only thing you have to use the touch screen for is going into first person aiming for the bow, which is a single tap.

That's not 100% flawless, but it's not anything like being stuck with gyro aiming and tapping the screen to fire.

but the gyro is still on and it's sensitive...you can't turn off the gyro aim completely unless I completely missed it.

so, moving the analog = moving the system = good luck with the control tower, the helicopter, and the tanks.

Does the 360 emulated version of Ninja Gaiden Black have any gamma/brightness issues?

you can adjust that in the options.

I thought this thread was about Ninja Gaiden NES. I am disappoint.

there's one in every modern ng thread

that is actually the worst option since it's incredibly inaccurate and wonky

just use the default option and tap on the screen shoot,you don't even have to aim,just tap on the top left screen and he will fire in that direction even though he is aiming at the middle of the screen,it works really well so i don't get the bitching,it's even faster and more accurate than stick aiming in black or ps3 sigma

upper left to auto aim? this works well on the control tower?

rvy

Banned
I like this thread so much already.
NG BLACK is still the measuring stick for combat games. Come at me, DMC and Bayonetta fans.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
NG BLACK is still the measuring stick for combat games. Come at me, DMC and Bayonetta fans.

Okay.

DMC3 is the measuring stick for combat games.

NGB is, of course, amazing though.

Hey so am I the only one who actually prefers NG2 gameplay over than the first? I mean no doubt NG1 is the more balance game, but NG2 gameplay is really so satisfying.

--combo hits (not significant...the game is about speed, not combos)
...what? I got a 400+ hit combo + 4...super move things outside of the Club (with soldiers) using the Vigorian Flails... got enough points to nearly max out my Stick of Unadulterated Ridiculousness of Flawlessness.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
...what? I got a 400+ hit combo + 4...super move things outside of the Club (with soldiers) using the Vigorian Flails... got enough points to nearly max out my Stick of Unadulterated Ridiculousness of Flawlessness.

He's talking about actual score attacking. A high number of hits grants you more essence to spend, but it doesn't necessarily give you a good rank.

Tain

Hey so am I the only one who actually prefers NG2 gameplay over than the first? I mean no doubt NG1 is the more balance game, but NG2 gameplay is really so satisfying.

The more I play NG2, the more I can see it being the better game overall.

Not sure if I'm quite there yet, though!

Okay.

DMC3 is the measuring stick for combat games.

NGB is, of course, amazing though.

they both rule for different reasons, lets not bring this shit into this thread...

you're mixing up essence and karma. Karma is your score, essence is money. You got a lot of essence, but not a lot of karma for all that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
you responded before i could edit in his dumb quote too :)

no one will be coming at anyone in this thread!

er, waitaminute...

No worries. I've invested far too many hours into NG, NGB, NGS, NG2, and NGS2 to bother arguing about stuff like that. :p

NGB is sublime.

obonicus

How does the difficulty of vanilla compare with NGB's difficulties? I was under the impression that master ninja was more of a remix mode than a direct difficulty bump to vanilla.

Nope. The combat in NG2 is in a league of its own. I think most of the top NG2 players would agree.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I've been playing this recently, and even though I like it, I'm finding it to be pretty basic and unimpressive, and the camera is awful. On the other hand, I freaking loved Gaiden 2 from beginning to end.

I'm at the part where you go to an underground chamber. Hopefully it picks up/

SHAZOOM

I've been playing this recently, and even though I like it, I'm finding it to be pretty basic and unimpressive, and the camera is awful. On the other hand, I freaking loved Gaiden 2 from beginning to end.

On Normal, the game isn't really gonna offer many challenges. Its when the mission modes and Hard get unlocked that the game offers some really great things.

You guys need to lighten up.

running on no sleep :(

It's not gonna pick up to NG2's levels of insanity and on normal, the pacing is pretty consistent. Hard mode puts the pressure on, but the fun begins on Very Hard. I highly recommend doing score attack on easier modes to get the most out of it. It's not difficult to survive, but those battle timers will always be kind of a pain.

one more reason unlock-required difficulties+locked saves are annoying as fuck. I could kind of understand for NG1, since there was actually a tournament for the game. The rest of them is just bad team ninja policy. also, unskippable cut scenes the first time through (particularly brutal in Metroid Other M.)

speaking of which, any gaffers participate and do well in the master ninja tourney?

Getting back in to Sigma. Never done higher difficulties*, never done score mode. But! Just having the score display on has already added a lot so it's a good call. Last time I left off I was at the military gate so that's where I'm picking up from.

*Because I finished it, put work in to the higher ones and to the bonus missions and then my PS3 died. Only recently I had the heart to pick it up again and start over.

The rest of them is just bad team ninja policy. also, unskippable cut scenes the first time through (particularly brutal in Metroid Other M.)

I can't wait to pick up Other M properly and give the hard mode a try.

hmm, whenever I get a new PC (this month hopefully) and streaming gear, I will stream Black first for sure. Live MNM endurance run would be a blast to do, considering I haven't done it in years. there won't be enough PJSalts in the world...

The more I play NG2, the more I can see it being the better game overall.

Not sure if I'm quite there yet, though!
you'll get there man you'll get there. At one point I got done beating NG2 then decided to go back to 1 and it didn't feel right to me at all.
Nope. The combat in NG2 is in a league of its own. I think most of the top NG2 players would agree.

Alright so I'm still a little bit sane then!

Top Bottom